Charley Varrick - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Charley Varrick Reviews

½ December 10, 2016
They don't make them like this anymore...Movies that approach perfection..!
½ August 21, 2016
Extremely well made minus the really lame sex scene.
½ July 17, 2016
fast paced crime drama-seventies style
May 30, 2015
Bank robbers make out with large sum of laundered cash belonging to the mafia, requiring some resourceful changes in action by the robbers. Part of (in my opinion) Walter Matthau's best run of films and Joe Don Baker is sharp as the mob's hired gun. Director Siegel calls back many who appeared in DIRTY HARRY.
June 27, 2014
Nothing to stream on Netflix Instant? Watch Charley Varrick w/Walter Matthau. Great caper.
½ May 19, 2014
The word "inexorable" comes to mind when watching Charley Varrick, as in "the plot moves inexorably to its conclusion." Somehow director Don Siegel (and screenwriters Howard Rodman and Dean Riesner, working from John Reese's novel) has managed to enable Walter Matthau's small time hood to set in motion a number of different processes that ultimately allow him to outsmart both the police and the mafia. You see, he's accidentally stolen money that belongs to the mob when robbing a small local New Mexico bank and can't exactly give it back with Joe Don Baker's hit man on his trail. Of course, Siegel's directorial style isn't pretty (it's mired in the 1970s) but he gets the job done and keeps things moving, well, inexorably toward the finale that you knew was coming. A bit rough but worth a look.
January 18, 2014
I saw this movie years ago but I thought it was great.... Columboesq..With Charley playing the fo detective.Walter Matthau can play serious as well as comedic as evidenced by The Odd Couple another Matthau gem...
November 19, 2013
Superb hidden gem of a movie that takes you along for a very intriguing ride. Matthau is great and the supporting cast all fill this movie perfectly with there characters.
½ September 3, 2013
Charley Varrick a heist film, directed by Don Siegel (Dirty Harry). Starring Walter Matthau (The Odd Couple), Joe Don Baker, John Vernon and Andrew Robinson (Dirty Harry). Based on the novelv The Looters by John H. Reese. Walter Matthau was nominated for Best Actor by BAFTA.

Walter Matthau and Andrew Robinson attempt to rob a bank in small town, and get away with it - getting rid of dead wife (who was shot in the process of driving) by burning the vehicle and her body in it. The two change their getup and vehicle with Crop-Duster van. They come to realize that they have stolen money from mafia, as bank manager discloses the amount less to reporters; as compared to bulk of dollar bills. They must go through planned scheme to evade getting caught.

It started robustly, I thought (believe me) I was going to watch a comedy film, but soon realized upon shoot-to-kill process that this was utterly different to my expectations; and no sooner did I lay my eyes on Walter's expressions, I knew the guy is something of a mystery man. Walter gives strong and occupying performance in this chase-thriller. It is fast and entertaining. Too much in too little rates, is good enough. If you are fan of 'heist' movies , this is it really.
June 27, 2013
I think this film influenced the Coen brothers. Molly (Joe Don Baker), the charater can be seen in BLOOD SIMPLE as Loren Visser (M. Emmet Walsh) and in NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN as Anton Chigurh (Javier Bardem), and even some plot points are similar.
June 5, 2013
outdated and overrated.
May 15, 2013
I enjoyed this plot twisting caper film.
March 21, 2013
The genius that is Don Siegel directs this classic 70's crime flick. The opening scene is immense and the performance of Walter Matthau is immense. As usual Joe Don Baker defines the balls. This time as the mafia enforcer tryign to locate the mobs stolen cash.
March 19, 2013
classic crime flick form the golden age of crime flicks. Matthau and Joe Don Baker define the balls
March 17, 2013
An intelligent crime thriller starring Walter Matthau in an unusual dramatic role. Despite some plot contrivances, it's quite engaging and keeps you on the edge of the seat. There's something about the 70's movies... they just don't make movies like that anymore.
½ November 6, 2012
Classic 70's heist movie. Matthau skillfully brings his comedic appeal to the heist genre.
½ October 31, 2012
Charley Varrick is a hidden gem from the 70s that has some clever plot turns that I enjoyed quite a bit.
½ October 16, 2012
Don Siegel's follow-up to Dirty Harry isn't quite as good, but if you enjoy 70's crime movies, you'll like this.
May 23, 2012
From a technical standpoint, "Charley Varrick" is pretty laughable. There are moments where the editing is so bad that you just have to wonder what was going on in the editing room. As well, the cinematography, shot composition, and lighting seem to have been given minor attention from director Don Siegel. Of course, being as "Charley Varrick" is one of those low-budget relics from the 1970s, one can't be so critical about the technicalities. There are elements about the film that are quite enjoyable, such as Walter Matthau's deadpan-like performance and Joe Don Baker's turn as an eccentric assassin. The script is riddled with holes and implausibilities, but all in all, it's a fun, if forgettable, action flick.
May 13, 2012
Entertaining movie, with the great Walter Matthau--Crops And Robbers!!