Chicago - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Chicago Reviews

February 6, 2018
Lots of singing, lots of lady killers, lots of sexy legs.. didn't really care for this much(despite being a big fan of hot looking females in fishnets/thigh high stockings). When the main character is a selfish attention whore, can't say that makes for a character you can root for. The acting is good at least and CZJ looks mighty fine here, but yeah... meh!
November 12, 2017
With Phantom I feel the stage production is significantly better whereas with this film I feel the movie outclasses the stage show. The way the songs lead to cabaret style performances is ingenious. Superb performances from the main 2 female leads.
November 6, 2017
Not a broadway kind of guy, but this movie is incredible
September 9, 2017
It's fun to be sure, however one can't help but muse on what an adaption that was more faithful stage musical would be like . . . probably would have made less money and won less awards but might have ultimately been more enduring.
½ August 27, 2017
interesting look at show biz in the 20's
August 20, 2017
It will always stay a musical classic.I have seen better musicals but its watchable.Great performances by Renee and Queen Latifah.
½ August 16, 2017
Movie musicals are, without a doubt, one of the riskiest types of films to approach. Most often they disappoint, with them never getting close to reaching the standard of the source material and the seemingly obligatory casting of A-listers detracting from the music. We had these problems with so many of these movie musicals; Les Miserables, Mamma Mia!, Into the Woods etc etc. But, 2002 Oscar Best Picture Winner, Chicago is a very different story. Now, this movie surprised me. I truly didn't expect it to be as good as it is (perhaps because of the movie musical track record) but Chicago successfully pulls this genre off with flair and artistry. What is the biggest blessing is casting; Renee Zelwegger, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Richard Gere, Queen Latifah, John C.Reilly and all the rest are all not just competent, but actually very good singers who understand the music and perform it with conviction and punch. The film's score is also fantastically jazzy and really helps to turn Chicago from good to great, with a swing score that captures the feel of this Vaudeville musical perfectly. As a whole, this film is delightfully Vaudevillian, with reality merging with cabaret stage, in which our lawyers and murderesses are all performing. This technique is risky, but it is effectively executed, never feeling forced and helping to enhance the story. My one criticism is the film is almost too faithful to the Broadway musical, which it its bane, as it is never going to reach the heights of Chicago on-stage, no matter how hard it tries. Ah, the limits of celluloid. For the film to reach its full potential, it needed to adjust and bring something newer to the production that Broadway didn't. Overall, however, Chicago is a surprising gem of a film, that never loses its roots of showbiz and musical theatre, yet provides us with a bombastic production that truly encompasses "all that jazz"
August 12, 2017
The music was fantastic, didn't really like anything else about it.
August 10, 2017
One of the best movie's I've ever seen
½ August 5, 2017
9 out of 10:

It may be a tad bit risqué, but Chicago still has splendid visuals, solid performances, and cool song and dance numbers.
August 3, 2017
I keep watching this movie, i love it.
August 2, 2017
Chicago is smashing, just smashing.
July 24, 2017
The songs are all sung brilliantly, with the choreography and attire for their performances also wonderful, and this helped give the film an appealing look despite most of it set within a prison cell. While seeing a musical take the Best Picture Oscar may be surprising, seeing its brilliant cast, immaculate singing and a presentation worth admiring make it all understandable.
July 17, 2017
One of my favorite musicals ever, I have seen it twice live on trips to NYC. This was expertly adapted into a movie with all the great song and dance numbers brought to the screen. A wonderful ensemble cast helps to make this among the top 2 or 3 musicals of this century thus far.
July 6, 2017
I don't normally like musicals, but this one was more than tolerable.
½ June 20, 2017
This fast-paced crime musical is well directed and acted (especially Zeta-Jones). Featuring superb settings and costumes, this film will have you singing along to the 1920s jazz-inspired songs. AAW GGWM. 1001
April 27, 2017
Love the music, almost every song is memorable, almost every number is amazing. Great performances and a tight script.
April 25, 2017
Amazing comedy. Funny, but cutting of celebrity. The acting was awesome, with great songs, and story. Funny as anything.
April 19, 2017
Chicago is bold, funny, stylish and full of unbridled energy.
½ April 16, 2017
Awesome music and top notch performances!!!