Chicago - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Chicago Reviews

August 20, 2017
It will always stay a musical classic.I have seen better musicals but its watchable.Great performances by Renee and Queen Latifah.
½ August 16, 2017
Movie musicals are, without a doubt, one of the riskiest types of films to approach. Most often they disappoint, with them never getting close to reaching the standard of the source material and the seemingly obligatory casting of A-listers detracting from the music. We had these problems with so many of these movie musicals; Les Miserables, Mamma Mia!, Into the Woods etc etc. But, 2002 Oscar Best Picture Winner, Chicago is a very different story. Now, this movie surprised me. I truly didn't expect it to be as good as it is (perhaps because of the movie musical track record) but Chicago successfully pulls this genre off with flair and artistry. What is the biggest blessing is casting; Renee Zelwegger, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Richard Gere, Queen Latifah, John C.Reilly and all the rest are all not just competent, but actually very good singers who understand the music and perform it with conviction and punch. The film's score is also fantastically jazzy and really helps to turn Chicago from good to great, with a swing score that captures the feel of this Vaudeville musical perfectly. As a whole, this film is delightfully Vaudevillian, with reality merging with cabaret stage, in which our lawyers and murderesses are all performing. This technique is risky, but it is effectively executed, never feeling forced and helping to enhance the story. My one criticism is the film is almost too faithful to the Broadway musical, which it its bane, as it is never going to reach the heights of Chicago on-stage, no matter how hard it tries. Ah, the limits of celluloid. For the film to reach its full potential, it needed to adjust and bring something newer to the production that Broadway didn't. Overall, however, Chicago is a surprising gem of a film, that never loses its roots of showbiz and musical theatre, yet provides us with a bombastic production that truly encompasses "all that jazz"
August 12, 2017
The music was fantastic, didn't really like anything else about it.
August 10, 2017
One of the best movie's I've ever seen
½ August 5, 2017
9 out of 10:

It may be a tad bit risqué, but Chicago still has splendid visuals, solid performances, and cool song and dance numbers.
August 3, 2017
I keep watching this movie, i love it.
August 2, 2017
Chicago is smashing, just smashing.
July 24, 2017
The songs are all sung brilliantly, with the choreography and attire for their performances also wonderful, and this helped give the film an appealing look despite most of it set within a prison cell. While seeing a musical take the Best Picture Oscar may be surprising, seeing its brilliant cast, immaculate singing and a presentation worth admiring make it all understandable.
July 17, 2017
One of my favorite musicals ever, I have seen it twice live on trips to NYC. This was expertly adapted into a movie with all the great song and dance numbers brought to the screen. A wonderful ensemble cast helps to make this among the top 2 or 3 musicals of this century thus far.
July 6, 2017
I don't normally like musicals, but this one was more than tolerable.
½ June 20, 2017
This fast-paced crime musical is well directed and acted (especially Zeta-Jones). Featuring superb settings and costumes, this film will have you singing along to the 1920s jazz-inspired songs. AAW GGWM. 1001
April 27, 2017
Love the music, almost every song is memorable, almost every number is amazing. Great performances and a tight script.
April 25, 2017
Amazing comedy. Funny, but cutting of celebrity. The acting was awesome, with great songs, and story. Funny as anything.
April 19, 2017
Chicago is bold, funny, stylish and full of unbridled energy.
½ April 16, 2017
Awesome music and top notch performances!!!
April 15, 2017
More interesting than I expected.
½ April 7, 2017
Chicago is amazing in looks and music as bringing well the show to the big screen. All the actors were great singers, despite some having at best okay range
½ April 3, 2017
There's not much story here...just music, none of which I can remember, so what's so great about this movie? And I hate to sound like an old fart, but I seems like all anyone can think to put in movies anymore is senseless violence no homosexuality. I don't have a problem with violence in movies, or with homosexuality,, but there should be some point -other than a bunch of brainless hoodlums. And everyone in the world is not gay. Kiss of the Spider Woman was shocking and moving, but now that everyone has to have an obligatory same sex kiss, it's silly and offensive.
½ March 26, 2017
I hate the style of this musical. It's too dark for my taste. I also didn't care for any of the music, and found the whole effort to be fairly inept. I can't believe so many people actually enjoy this. (First and only viewing - 7/5/2010)
½ March 26, 2017
No great moral lessons here but the performances are a real "wow." I had no idea that Renee and Catherine had this kind of show-power.