Chicago - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Chicago Reviews

April 15, 2018
Basically, a great musical film where the only people who get punished in the end are those who do the right thing.
½ April 14, 2018
gere and the others deliver, but the straightforward script doesn't carry enough weight, and the backdrop of the windy city isn't exploited. dazzling and fun, but still not the spectacle of 2012's 'les miserables'.
½ March 16, 2018
pop.. six.. squish.. unh uh.. cicero.. lipshitz..

Chicago

It basically defines the excellence in music tracks, production design, costume design and choreography that is so rich and visually aesthetic to view that it upbeats the audience on the seat to a point where one can't defy that it is entertainment at its best. It is finely detailed when it comes to create the high pitched musical sequences where each and every beat, lyric and tempo serves the right amount of taste that has been missing in musical features. The plot does not only lifts up from eerie perspective but stays true to its nature throughout the course of it that has gripping screenplay, stellar performances, perfect editing and execution, amusing characters and stunning visuals. Rob Marshall is in his A game in here being aware of the opportunity and the potential that this script has, he draws out the best from each and every frame. A smart adaptation by Bill Condon; the screenplay writer, that offers enough space and range for the character and actors to factor in. Renee Zellweger and Richard Gere are brilliant in it but the real game changer is Catherine Zeta Jones as a supporting artist. Chicago is a rare art that touches the craft and hardwork at its peak and radiates the deep down emotion and communicates with the audience from the first frame and doesn't leave until the curtain drops.
½ March 8, 2018
Always dazzling, mostly entertaining, but never fully developed.
½ February 24, 2018
Lame musical with Renee and john c Riley.
February 6, 2018
Lots of singing, lots of lady killers, lots of sexy legs.. didn't really care for this much(despite being a big fan of hot looking females in fishnets/thigh high stockings). When the main character is a selfish attention whore, can't say that makes for a character you can root for. The acting is good at least and CZJ looks mighty fine here, but yeah... meh!
November 12, 2017
With Phantom I feel the stage production is significantly better whereas with this film I feel the movie outclasses the stage show. The way the songs lead to cabaret style performances is ingenious. Superb performances from the main 2 female leads.
November 6, 2017
Not a broadway kind of guy, but this movie is incredible
September 9, 2017
It's fun to be sure, however one can't help but muse on what an adaption that was more faithful stage musical would be like . . . probably would have made less money and won less awards but might have ultimately been more enduring.
½ August 27, 2017
interesting look at show biz in the 20's
August 20, 2017
It will always stay a musical classic.I have seen better musicals but its watchable.Great performances by Renee and Queen Latifah.
½ August 16, 2017
Movie musicals are, without a doubt, one of the riskiest types of films to approach. Most often they disappoint, with them never getting close to reaching the standard of the source material and the seemingly obligatory casting of A-listers detracting from the music. We had these problems with so many of these movie musicals; Les Miserables, Mamma Mia!, Into the Woods etc etc. But, 2002 Oscar Best Picture Winner, Chicago is a very different story. Now, this movie surprised me. I truly didn't expect it to be as good as it is (perhaps because of the movie musical track record) but Chicago successfully pulls this genre off with flair and artistry. What is the biggest blessing is casting; Renee Zelwegger, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Richard Gere, Queen Latifah, John C.Reilly and all the rest are all not just competent, but actually very good singers who understand the music and perform it with conviction and punch. The film's score is also fantastically jazzy and really helps to turn Chicago from good to great, with a swing score that captures the feel of this Vaudeville musical perfectly. As a whole, this film is delightfully Vaudevillian, with reality merging with cabaret stage, in which our lawyers and murderesses are all performing. This technique is risky, but it is effectively executed, never feeling forced and helping to enhance the story. My one criticism is the film is almost too faithful to the Broadway musical, which it its bane, as it is never going to reach the heights of Chicago on-stage, no matter how hard it tries. Ah, the limits of celluloid. For the film to reach its full potential, it needed to adjust and bring something newer to the production that Broadway didn't. Overall, however, Chicago is a surprising gem of a film, that never loses its roots of showbiz and musical theatre, yet provides us with a bombastic production that truly encompasses "all that jazz"
August 12, 2017
The music was fantastic, didn't really like anything else about it.
August 10, 2017
One of the best movie's I've ever seen
½ August 5, 2017
9 out of 10:

It may be a tad bit risqué, but Chicago still has splendid visuals, solid performances, and cool song and dance numbers.
August 3, 2017
I keep watching this movie, i love it.
August 2, 2017
Chicago is smashing, just smashing.
July 24, 2017
The songs are all sung brilliantly, with the choreography and attire for their performances also wonderful, and this helped give the film an appealing look despite most of it set within a prison cell. While seeing a musical take the Best Picture Oscar may be surprising, seeing its brilliant cast, immaculate singing and a presentation worth admiring make it all understandable.
July 17, 2017
One of my favorite musicals ever, I have seen it twice live on trips to NYC. This was expertly adapted into a movie with all the great song and dance numbers brought to the screen. A wonderful ensemble cast helps to make this among the top 2 or 3 musicals of this century thus far.