Chicago - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Chicago Reviews

½ August 30, 2016
Electrifying is the only needed to describe this musical of a darker nature but still wildly entertaining nonetheless. I believe it was the only full musical to win the Oscar for best film since Oliver! In 1968...

The story of Roxie Hart good girl gone bad & when shooting her affair it lands her in death row until slick lawyer (Richard Gere) comes to her aid.

Incredibly memorable music numbers especially 'He Had it Coming!' This lurid subject matter is drowned out by mesmerizing numbers. An energetic & powerful musical!
August 28, 2016
Bellissimo musical pieno di coreografie mozzafiato e ballerini che traspirano energia. In particolare la Jones recita con una potenza esplosiva che coinvolge all'istante. Lo stile con cui il film è diretto è unico ed innovativo, con inquadrature particolari e movimenti che seguono il ritmo della musica. Oltre a coinvolgere il film porta anche una buona dose di humor, grazie ad una sceneggiatura snella e divertente. A mio parere manca l'Oscar alla regia per Rob Marshall, che come primo film svolge un lavoro a dir poco eccellente.
August 16, 2016
Stylized direction and amazing performances from the three mains help this funny satirical adaptation.
August 7, 2016
I have been meaning to see this film for a while now and I'm pretty glad now that I have. It was quite entertaining. Honestly, the best character was Velma Kelly played by Catherine Zeta-Jones! I really was not impressed with everyone else. Jones was what really made this film worth seeing.
July 21, 2016
Bright but with bite, this jazzy, energetic adaptation of the Broadway musical is visually entertaining while maintaining the sordid sensual sensationalism.
July 18, 2016
The John C. Reilly show, in my opinion.
July 10, 2016
Still stands the test of time.
½ June 29, 2016
well, the dancing and choreography is amazing.....
June 23, 2016
Why I do not like this is very simple. Whenever I watch a movie, I need to be able to sympathize with the characters. These don't need to be GOOD people, just sympathetic. Porter in "Payback' comes immediately to mind here. Here, I hate these people. I think I'm supposed to hate these people, sure, but they're the central narrative of the film. They sing upbeat songs about the bad things they've done, and then get away with those bad things, and the only one who does suffer is the one sympathetic character who MIGHT have actually been innocent.

That might have been the entire point, and I can understand that. That's not a reason for me to like or excuse it though. This movie sickens me.
June 21, 2016
Nice musical, rather good story
June 18, 2016
Chicago is one of the most overrated musicals of all time with some great songs and good technical aspects, but mediocre editing, directing and screenplay and the film never focuses on storytelling and characterization at all. It is also too energetic, too tiresome and way too ridiculous and over-the-top in its tone leading to such a disappointing, baffling movie to me.
June 13, 2016
In my opinion, this is one of the most overrated movies ever. I'll give it this most of the acting is good, the style for the musical numbers is visually interesting and I do love the music, especially Cell Block Tango. The problem is outside of those flashy musical numbers, this movie is DULL! The non-musical parts look so drab, the story is slow and barely there and I really don't like Renee Zellweger as Roxie. She just comes off as a spoiled, entitled little brat. And I have to say it's the fault of the actress because Velma is an equally despicable person, but she's so much more enjoyable because of, in my opinion, the perfect casting of Catherine Zeta-Jones. So overall not the worst movie, but honestly you're better off skipping this and just going on YouTube to watch the musical numbers
½ May 14, 2016
A stylish and sexy musical with an excellent cast, great numbers, and a surprisingly good story. Well worthy of it's Best Picture win.
April 3, 2016
It always hard to adapt a musical to the big screen and it doesn't always work. But there are a few times, where it actually works pretty well, and one of those were with the musical "Chicago." This is one of my personal favorites and one of the best musical-adapated movies ever made. Rob Marshall is really a great director when it comes to these kind of movies and he does a phenomenal job with both the direction and the choreographies. Renée Zellweger and Catherine Zeta-Jones are amazing in this movie and they really deserve all the praise they got, but one who didn't get enough praise for his performance was Richard Gere. Gere is perfect in the role of Billy Flynn and every time I watch the movie, he continues to amaze me. The fact that he wasn't even nominated for an Academy Award is beyond my knowledge.
½ March 9, 2016
Always dazzling, mostly entertaining, but never fully developed.
½ March 9, 2016
Might have appreciated it better had it not been for "all that jazz"! I don't like musicals usually, so apparently this form of satire didn't appeal me in the least.
½ March 6, 2016
Chicago is made up of admirable performances and full of great music.
January 24, 2016
Great performances, great score. Wonderfully cynical jazz era themed musical about ladies on murderer's row and their crafty lawyer. Not a single love song! Lots of fun while still touching on the serious theme of the cult of celebrity. Toronto looks great as a stand in for Chicago - especially the scenes filmed in the architecturally striking Gothic Don Jail.
January 16, 2016
Chicago features plenty of catchy songs and visually wonderful song and dance sequences while also blending in drama, comedy, and thought provoking ideas.