Chicago - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Chicago Reviews

April 27, 2017
Love the music, almost every song is memorable, almost every number is amazing. Great performances and a tight script.
April 25, 2017
Amazing comedy. Funny, but cutting of celebrity. The acting was awesome, with great songs, and story. Funny as anything.
April 19, 2017
Chicago is bold, funny, stylish and full of unbridled energy.
½ April 16, 2017
Awesome music and top notch performances!!!
April 15, 2017
More interesting than I expected.
½ April 7, 2017
Chicago is amazing in looks and music as bringing well the show to the big screen. All the actors were great singers, despite some having at best okay range
½ April 3, 2017
There's not much story here...just music, none of which I can remember, so what's so great about this movie? And I hate to sound like an old fart, but I seems like all anyone can think to put in movies anymore is senseless violence no homosexuality. I don't have a problem with violence in movies, or with homosexuality,, but there should be some point -other than a bunch of brainless hoodlums. And everyone in the world is not gay. Kiss of the Spider Woman was shocking and moving, but now that everyone has to have an obligatory same sex kiss, it's silly and offensive.
½ March 26, 2017
I hate the style of this musical. It's too dark for my taste. I also didn't care for any of the music, and found the whole effort to be fairly inept. I can't believe so many people actually enjoy this. (First and only viewing - 7/5/2010)
½ March 26, 2017
No great moral lessons here but the performances are a real "wow." I had no idea that Renee and Catherine had this kind of show-power.
March 25, 2017
Yet another great movie that I regret not seeing sooner. Rob Marshall's "Chicago" is as refreshingly glitzy and nostalgic as it is delightfully slimy and debauched. Featuring a satirically charged narrative, well-rounded performances in every corner, and an incredibly unique, well-structured musical concept at the heart of it all, this film has very quickly stacked itself up in my list of absolute favorites in the musical genre.
March 7, 2017
I didn't like it much. What can I say, I don't like musicals
½ February 28, 2017
Always dazzling, mostly entertaining, but never fully developed.
½ February 16, 2017
Chicago is directed by Rob Marshall, and it stars Renee Zellweger, Catherine Zeta Jones, and Richard Gere in a musical criminal comedy about a desperate girl that wants to be in the spotlight, but the guy that she thinks will help, turns out was lying to her, and that made her mad enough to kill him, and she goes to jail with the other girls where they wait for a lawyer that'll help get them out of jail for special occasions. In terms of careers, this is still one of the highest well liked films from director Rob Marshall, which makes sense as the film is written by Bill Condon who did Dreamgirls, Kinsey, Gods and Monsters, and some more that critics and people enjoy, well besides the final two Twilight films, but it could've happen for any director. While it wasn't as great as I remember it, I still thought Chicago is a solid film. The acting is really good, although it is Richard Gere who is stealing the show because he's having the most fun out of what he does for his character and you can just tell that his character loves his job. The dance scenes are great to watch when it transitions from reality to the musical stage, which is done very well that doesn't feel distracting. The characters are decent at best, but I think I wanted a bit more of them, but you had to take away some of the elements that were in the musical for cinematic purposes, so I understand why they did that, and the movie does flow very well in the story of it. There were some chuckles that I got, but it wasn't really as funny as people say it is, and from my opinion only, I found the songs to be unmemorable, not that the songs are bad, I mean He Had it Coming is the only song that I enjoyed and is the best part of the film, it's just I find the songs to be all right, not something that I listen to. It has some smart moments that were unexpected to me, and the writing by Bill Condon is pretty good at understanding the source material. Chicago is a really good movie that while it's not one of my favorite musicals, I still like what was of this movie.
February 1, 2017
It's good movie to watch
½ December 31, 2016
Fab costumes, choreography and music.
December 28, 2016
a musical that truly makes murder in the 20's absolutely glamorous
½ December 15, 2016
A visual masterpiece that manages to seamlessly combine theater and film. The film is elevated by dazzling performances from Catherine Zeta Jones and Richard Gere.
½ August 30, 2016
Electrifying is the only needed to describe this musical of a darker nature but still wildly entertaining nonetheless. I believe it was the only full musical to win the Oscar for best film since Oliver! In 1968...

The story of Roxie Hart good girl gone bad & when shooting her affair it lands her in death row until slick lawyer (Richard Gere) comes to her aid.

Incredibly memorable music numbers especially 'He Had it Coming!' This lurid subject matter is drowned out by mesmerizing numbers. An energetic & powerful musical!
August 28, 2016
Bellissimo musical pieno di coreografie mozzafiato e ballerini che traspirano energia. In particolare la Jones recita con una potenza esplosiva che coinvolge all'istante. Lo stile con cui il film diretto unico ed innovativo, con inquadrature particolari e movimenti che seguono il ritmo della musica. Oltre a coinvolgere il film porta anche una buona dose di humor, grazie ad una sceneggiatura snella e divertente. A mio parere manca l'Oscar alla regia per Rob Marshall, che come primo film svolge un lavoro a dir poco eccellente.