Churchill - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Churchill Reviews

November 19, 2017
The Churchill who ordered the sinking of the French fleet in July 1940 would not have gone all weak at the knees over D-Day. By dwelling on a false narrative this film becomes dull and misses the chance to properly tell the story of a great victory.
½ November 17, 2017
quite an insult to churchill. way too much liberal touchy-feely. surely a man like churchill would have handled his conflicted emotions way better than to the bull craps from beginning to end in this movie
November 14, 2017
Film tells story of how one of the biggest events of WWII, D-Day helps bring out the human side of one of the most mythical figures of the war, Winston Churchill.
November 13, 2017
Why do we watch such fictionalized attempts to destroy memories of real heroes? Trash. Shame on the writer and director.
½ November 4, 2017
Movie night with Iris.

Interesting and pretty accurate take on D-Day preparations, with a cautious Churchill traumatised by Gallipoli from WWI. Miranda Richardson is worth the entrance fee as Clem.
½ November 3, 2017
Liberal propaganda, meant to defame a great hero. Nothing in this movie is historically accurate.
October 30, 2017
At the end it says that Churchill ?is acclaimed as one of the greatest Britons of all times?. But we don?t get even a glimpse of this greatness. On contrary, Churchill is described here as an old stubborn and obstinate man who is trying to steer his boat through dangerous political waters, opposed by almost everyone, including his wife Clementine. Luckily when he loses direction, there is always a female character nearby to help him to steady the boat. I do understand there is a high demand these days for strong female characters but I was expecting historical accuracy from von Tunzelmann not a fantasy. During almost two hours we see a lot of Churchill as we know him from old photographs, documentaries, etc. Smoking, thinking, walking with his cane and iconic hat. Nothing more. Caricature. You almost feel a pity for the man. So, zero stars for the screenplay, zero stars for directing, three stars for Brian Coz
October 29, 2017
One of the most historically inaccurate movies I have seen about WWII. It is apparent that the authors knew little more than the few pages given to a high school freshman history book. I think the close-up shot of a present-day American flag is all one needs to see to understand the lack of research given (we didn't have 50 states at the time of WWII, we only had 48).
½ October 29, 2017
I am always stunned how teachers and Movie Makers can take a subject as vibrant as history and make it dull. Double the for WW2, and double it again for a character as inspiring as Churchill. Brian Cox is great - I wish so badly he'd been cast as Churchill in a movie that was at least accurate if it's not going to be engaging..
October 28, 2017
Interesting part of a narrow window in the life of Churchill. D-day
October 28, 2017
A great performance by Brian Cox. But that's really the only great thing about it. It's historically inaccurate, Churchill supported the D Day landings when they happened, after legitimate concerns before. The film sets out with a clear objective of making him appear incompetent, and changes what happened to achieve this. This could have been a landmark film, I expect it will be received well by some who want to believe it, but for me it's a big lie.
October 27, 2017
This film just irritated me. I was surprised by the portrayal of Churchill as someone who was violently opposed to Overlord, and a bit of a google has persuaded me that there isnt any proper evidence to support the assertion. Personally, it just doesn't ring true, bordering on anachronistic in its sentiments. Some fine if predictable acting from Brian Cox though.
At the end I was expecting some sort of relevant afternote about the heavy casualties of Overlord, but no, it was a dumb comment along the lines of "the war was won in 1945".
½ October 20, 2017
Watch this on the plane. OMG this is so boring, my other half who loved truth story and loved history, war and even dragged me to the Churchill room in London has fall asleep 30mins in the movie.
I have no interest in war or Churchill and I found this movie extremely poor and boring.
October 16, 2017
Interesting side of the great man
½ October 13, 2017
This movie is RIDDLED with historical inaccuracies on a level that absolutely DISRESPECTS Winston Churchill. The writer of this movie should be held accountable for trying to trash the reputation of one of the greatest men in history. STAY AWAY FROM THIS FILM.
October 7, 2017
What a pile of steaming dung.
Complete mis representation
½ October 1, 2017
Over-wrought, badly written and filled with pastiche characters.
September 21, 2017
The biggest problem here is the clunkingly sententious screenplay, further burnished by endless slow fades and self-conscious cinematography. An interesting anecdote about Churchill's interference with Operation Overlord is inflated into a low-budget Shakespearean epic, where a lot of cigars are lit and Montgomery seems to command a garrison of roughly ten young men. Good actors like Brian Cox, Julian Wadham and Miranda Richardson invest the dialogue with what they can, but it's a losing battle.
August 8, 2017
The Best actor *Oscar may be between this bio & Gary 0ldman's version of Winston Churchill?