City Hall - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

City Hall Reviews

½ June 22, 2016
Deputy mayor(John Cusack) unintentional involvement in political corruption
April 12, 2016
Being a huge fan of Al Pacino (from the likes of 'Heat', the 'Godfather' movies, and 'Dog Day Afternoon' especially) and having had a huge crush on Bridget Fonda ('Single White Female', anyone?) back in the day (Peter Fonda's famous daughter was named 85th sexiest star in film history, and Mrs. Danny Elfman hasn't been involved in film, unfortunately, since 2002), I was hugely disappointed in this film, especially since I had loved director Harold Becker's previous 'Sea of Love', which also starred Pacino. The first half was decent and involving, but it kind of slid off the rails, interest-wise for me, the rest of the way and got too talky and uninspired.

I don't really know if the problem was with the script or its direction. I know I'm not the greatest John Cusack fan in the world (I find he's much better in comedy, like his sister Joan), but he had pretty good co-stars, whose talents were basically wasted, in Martin Landau, Anthony Franciosa and Danny Aiello (these guys were BORN for these roles and films, so on paper, this should have really worked out well). I had always wondered why this film had bombed so miserably, and now I know why. In cases like this, more should have been done to alter the story arc, just some basic tweaks, to make it more suspenseful and/or (though I usually balk at such 'Hollywood' tendencies) some romantic tension (a beauty such as Fonda's was misused--they may as well have hired someone else). All in all, a wasted opportunity that's worth a look if you like dramas about corruption--just don't go in with big expectations, and don't bother with a rewatch.
April 28, 2015
I remember watching this soon after it came out as a teen, and this was in my Al Pacino is God phase...for what it is, it's actually underrated, performances from Pacino and Cusack especially, but just not a feel good or happy film, and 20 years later, I don't feel compelled to rewatch it...
½ April 28, 2015
A really fine performance by Pacino in a soon hard to remember drama that other than Pacino is underwhelming.
February 16, 2015
WOW.....WOW.....WOW.....JUST SEEN THIS MOVIE 4 THE 1ST TIME N THINK THAT THIS IS AN ALRIGHT MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS NOTHING SPECIAL 2 WATCH.....its got a good cast of actors/actresses throughout this movie....I think that al pacino, john cusack, martin landau, bridget fonda, play good roles/parts throughout this movie......I think that the director of this drama/mystery/suspense movie had done a good job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this is nothing special 2 watch, but it is such a tough thriller movie 2 watch, I think that this is an enjoyable movie 2 watch, I think that both john cusack/ al pacino were absolutely brilliant throughout this movie......

City Hall ranks 54% at Rotten Tomatoes, based on 24 reviews.

The movie debuted at number four at the United States box office.

According to the website Box Office Mojo, the film grossed an estimated $20 million in the U.S.

This was Becker's second collaboration with Pacino, having directed him in Sea of Love released seven years earlier

it is nothing special 2 watch, it is an alright movie 2 watch, its got a good soundtrack throughout this movie.....I think that this is a tough thriller movie 2 watch, its got a good cast throughout this movie.....I think that this is such a really well written/acted/directed movie 2 watch, it is nothing special 2 watch but it is such a tough thriller movie 2 watch with a good cast throughout this movie......
½ February 8, 2015
A man's statue is determined by his enemies, not his friends.

The Deputy Mayor is a simple and honest man from Louisiana that has been in awe of the mayor of New York City since he first met him in Washington; and since then, he's looked out for his best interest. A police officer accidentally shoots a boy and there appears to be some sort of corruption that led to the shooting. Why was the cop there to begin with? A cop shooting a boy looks really bad for the city, so the Deputy Mayor does his best to uncover why the cop was there and if he was truly corrupt. He discovers something that may change his view of New York City politics.

"You're a mean prick, you know that?"
"Where I come from that's a compliment."

Harold Becker, director of Mercury Rising, Sea of Love, Domestic Disturbance, Taps, Malice, Vision Quest, and The Onion Field, delivers City Hall. The storyline for this film is intricate, contains solid characters, is well written, and unfolds well. I loved the way New York was depicted and the interaction between characters. The acting was also very good and the cast includes John Cusack, Al Pacino, Bridget Fonda, Danny Aeillo, Martin Landau, and Lauren Velez.

"If a sparrow dies in Central Park, I feel responsible."

City Hall was a movie that grabbed my attention on HBOGO and I had to see based on the fantastic cast. I can say the acting was marvelous, but the plot was not as captivating as I had hoped. I did think the film is executed well, but there wasn't many surprises or dramatic sequences. Overall, this is above average just due to the wonderful cast, not due to the storyline. I recommend giving it a viewing but I wouldn't add it to my DVD collection.

"I'm willing to be lucky; and if you're willing to be lucky, New York will give you a chance."

Grade: B-
January 24, 2015
After a child is killed by a know mobster's nephew, an investigation begins on the how such a man with a known criminal record was not behind bars. The investigation leads to crime, drama, cover ups, scandal and corruption in the Big Apple. City Hall has all the right components, but somehow just fails to be a good movie. The film just a bit weak on all fronts, and its understandable how this film is not mentioned much.
½ May 6, 2014
City Hall has a good cast and decent pacing, but is seems to lose its way halfway through. Pity, I was hoping for more.
March 29, 2014
Directed by Harold Becker (The Onion Field (1979), Sea of Love (1989) and Mercury Rising (1998)), and written by Kenneth Lipper (The Winter Guest (1997), Paul Schrader (Taxi Driver (1976)), Nicholas Pileggi (Goodfellas (1990)) and Bo Goldman (Scent of a Woman (1992)). This thriller is about political corruption inspired by the real life case of Donald Manes. It's a good thriller to watch with a good cast. New York Mayor John Pappas (Al Pacino) is well liked in the city, but he has grander ambitions, like running for President, and his deputy mayor Kevin Calhoun (John Cusack) hails from Louisiana. Calhoun had always put his career and Pappas first, but his loyalty goes awry after undercover cop Eddie Santos (Nestor Serrano) and mobster Tino Zapatti (Larry Romano) have a gun fight, and 6 year old James Bone (Jaliyl Lynn) is killed in the crossfire. Calhoun discovers a link between the murder and Brooklyn politician Frank Anselmo (Danny Aiello), who has been secretly paying Zapatti's uncle Paul (Tony Franciosa) to smear Santos' name. It's a good thriller, and it's not a million miles away from what was to come in Broken City (2013), only there was a lot more corruption there. Pacino is on autopilot for most of the film, but still good, but it's Cusack who shows gravitas here. He's an honest politician trying to do what is right.
½ January 27, 2014
The acting is good but this movie bored the crap out of me.
½ January 8, 2014
Pacino and cast do a great job but City Hall really has nothing original to offer and is a bit longwinded. Cusak surprised me by really flexing his acting chops and deserves credit as really being the reason to see this mediocre film.
October 23, 2013
With a dream team of screen writers it's amazing this one still manages to fall flat and remain incredibly boring.
October 1, 2013
Ok film from pacino with a good line up of well know actors.
July 26, 2013
1972's The Godfather Is My Fourth Favorite Film Of All Time.
December 9, 2012
Pacino is good, but the movie is a bit formulaic
December 7, 2012
Would like to see at some stage. A strong cast at a glance.
November 26, 2012
Think of it as a serious version of spin city with a little detective story tossed in.This film is by and large underrated and represents a solid effort at political drama, not a subject often explored in mid 90's big screen offerings. If there are some weak points to the story, which admittedly can be found in its pacing, they are made up for in the overall arc of the plot. The narrative explores the pitfalls of big city politics at the end of the 20th century subtlety making references to the news cycle and political spin without an overly moralistic approach. Solid performances from Pacino, Aiello and the supporting cast including Richard Schiff from the West Wing and Martin Landau, outweigh the lightweight showing from some of the other cast members.
October 29, 2012
Really good, interesting and not too obvious.
October 1, 2012
only interesting if you are interested in watching this.
August 18, 2012
quite good movie, because Al PAcino and Cusack rly work together, but some other characters were just too ingenuous. Mayor Pacino should be a future lead for the NYC politics, but of course he has to act better than Pappas! I didnt fully understand the ending of the movie, but I guess Calhoun had his little revenge.