City of Angels Reviews

• Dec 11, 2019

Loved it. Wonderful leads. Emotional and touching.

Loved it. Wonderful leads. Emotional and touching.

• Aug 04, 2019

I thought this movie was magical. The music was so amazing. Made the movie that much better.

• May 07, 2019

Uniting Nicolas Cage of Moonstruck (1987) fame with romantic comedy legend Meg Ryan should have produced a better film than City of Angels. I don't really like Wings of Desire (1987) but it's certainly better than this as it fully commits to exploring the philosophy related to the sacrifices of being human where this film only gestures at it. I also enjoy the song that I am aware is very lame and not actually a good piece of music, "Iris" by the Goo Goo Dolls and I was expecting it to used really well here. Unfortunately this is a film that squanders some great talent and instead of being legitimately good or a cheesefest worth watching it's just a boring, pedestrian attempt at a romantic comedy. Maggie Rice, Meg Ryan, is a heart surgeon who has recently lost one of her patients to the will of an angel Seth, Nicolas Cage, who becomes visible to her because he wants her to see him. A relationship develops between them but Seth does not inform Maggie he is an angel and Maggie is romantically involved with Jordan, Colm Feore. Angel turned human Nathaniel Messinger, Dennis Franz, helps Seth come to terms with the fact that he will have to give up being an angel if he wants to be with Maggie. As the two become closer and closer tragedy looms on the horizon even as Cage uses his giant, expressive eyes to convey the wrong emotions and Ryan employs her cute little grin too many times. Considering the fact that this was adapted from a film that I find to be long and ponderous this film is able to cut out large parts of what annoyed me about it's source material. Unfortunately it substitutes this for absolute twaddle and even Andre Braugher and Dennis Franz are unable to sell their characters and the relatively unclear philosophy they peddle. Cage and Ryan both have individual charisma as stars and this is shown in scenes where they interact with other actors but when they are together and their â~connection' is meant to carry the scene it does not work because they don't have chemistry. There is no heat or passion when the camerawork is telling you insistently that there is and the dialogue they are given is so clumsy and awkward that even Ryan and Tom Hanks would struggle to make it work. Their connection seems to be based on their mutual love of Ernest Hemingway's A Movable Feast and their physical attraction? I wanted something more detailed than that to convince me that this woman and her love would be enough to convince Cage to give up his immortality. The film also does not look particularly attractive as the primary colors seem to be black and grey and even Lake Tahoe not appearing as particularly beautiful through John Seale's lens. Cage and his fellow angels wear very pre-Columbine black trench coats and Ryan wears her hospital scrubs and very mumsy outfits outside of work for the majority of her screen time. Had either of these elements done something that your stock standard romantic comedy doesn't I could have found something about this film to really appreciate but as it stands the technical execution was bland. The soundtrack, even though it isn't well used within the film, is probably the best thing to come out of the movie. It features "Red House" by Jimi Hendrix, "Angel" by Sarah McLachlan, "Iris" by the Goo Goo Dolls and "I Grieve" by Peter Gabriel to name a few. I bought the soundtrack on iTunes and I have generally enjoyed listening to the many good pop songs listed on the soundtrack. If you want to enjoy a part of this film listen to the soundtrack, it's pretty good. Meg Ryan does better work in When Hary Met Sally⦠(1989), Sleepless in Seattle (1993) and You've Got Mail (1998) and Cage is great in Moonstruck (1987) and It Could Happen to You (1994) so please watch those instead of this. The terrible, out of nowhere, ending turned me against the film because before that I would have been willing to recommend it as a decent but unremarkable romantic comedy.

• Mar 14, 2019

Its pretty good, a ponderous film about the afterlife, with an ending that pulls the rug out from under your feet.

• Oct 24, 2018

City of Angels is a Romance/Drama and starred Nicolas Cage as the main angel Seth, and Meg Ryan as Dr. Maggie. Seth became very attracted to Maggie and she became his motivation to consider the option of 'free will' which means giving up your armor to become human. Seth (Nicolas Cage) was responsible for watching over people who are or will eventually be in near death experiences and directs them into the next life. I gave this movie 4 out of 5 stars, It included actors and actresses that I am accustomed to, and because the film was originally made in English.

• Mar 21, 2018

A great movie. One of my favorites.

A great movie. One of my favorites.

• Jan 03, 2018

I find myself watching this again every couple of years. There are a couple weaknesses with the chemistry here between Ryan and Cage, but I personally believe that works FOR the story, not against it. Given the premise. I also like the simpler, low-cgi approach to this in most places. It keeps the focus on the story and the characters.

• Nov 27, 2017

I liked this movie. It was well acted. The storyline was original. Clever idea. Lots of deep issues looked at through fantasy.

• Nov 09, 2017

One of the few good nicholas cage movies, out there.

One of the few good nicholas cage movies, out there.

• Jun 22, 2017

I am surprised as many critics liked this as they did, because it is horribly miscast, acted, with a twist that just makes you go "come on, seriously"?