Code 46 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Code 46 Reviews

½ January 22, 2016
After the critical success of 24 Hour Party People (2002), director Michael Winterbottom and writer Frank Cottrell Boyce reunited for this low-budget sci-fi film, which was partially inspired by Brief Encounter (1945). It's a thought provoking film about genetics which combines a futuristic setting shot in various locations around the world and it has an other worldly language spoken throughout too. Set in a futuristic setting where society has to reproduce by forced choice and are designated to specified zones and cities, it has insurance fraud investigator William Geld (Tim Robbins) travelling from Seattle to Shanghai to look into the allegations of people moving between cities. His investigations lead him to Maria Gonzalez (Samantha Morton), who has been forging paperwork for people to move around, William got the truth out of Maria using an "empathy virus". But William becomes captivated by Maria, and instead has someone else prosecuted, while he embarks on an affair with Maria, while he has a family back in America. It's a well made film, even though it was done on a shoestring, and Winterbottom made the most of locations in Shanghai, Dubai, Kuala Lumpur and London. It's not a film for everyone, and the language which mixes foreign languages with English has a unique touch. But it's a cold film with little emotions going on.
½ January 18, 2016
it doesn't happen often when I can't figure out what the fuck is going on in a movie but this one was able to dumbfound me completely I have no idea what was going on in this piece of shit
Robert B.
September 28, 2015
Contrary to expectations, I did not find Code 46 to be a dark thriller. Rather, I found it to be rather light when compared with THX1138 or 1984. Overall, the film has a strange vibe to it that is romantic, pensive, mysterious, fatalistic. Unsure what to think of it, though it is certainly a cut above the B-movie I had been expecting. All around Code 46 has solid acting and directing with some interesting concepts.
½ February 5, 2015
Futuristic take on the star-crossed romance, well-acted, scripted and directed.
½ January 23, 2015
Michael Winterbottom is really quite incredibly prolific by modern standards, turning out at least a movie a year for the last 15 years. As one would kind of expect, the results are fairly hit or miss. A lot of his films seem to be very good ideas that aren't fully realized using the time and money available. This film is a good example of that. He creates a really compelling future world using mostly modern settings and technology, but making it look just alien enough to be convincingly futuristic. (The film is quite reminiscent of "Alphaville" in that respect.) He uses this wonderful setting to tell a completely conventional love story involving pretty sketchy characters. The characters and plot feel like unwelcome intrusions into the setting.
December 3, 2014
Interesting scifi futuristic background story but the interpersonal and main story was off. Regretted having wasted my time watching it.
½ May 2, 2014
A very satisfying piece of dystopian storytelling and an interesting vision of the future where language and territories are truly global. People of the world are ruled by genetics and those who are left behind are outcasts from society and the city. We are not far away from this vision. Considering this film was made in 2003 its premise is becoming more and more accurate each day. The production values aren't much and the cinematography could have been better but still a very watchable film.
½ March 22, 2014
Code 46 is a beautiful, chilling and somewhat erotic look at a dystopian future.
The film seems to have a few influences from the likes of both David Lynch and Cronenburg whether via the story, the feel, the look or the manner in which it was approached and this may be why I enjoy it so much.
The film is a rather slow paced look at reproduction, population control, international travel, politics, relationships, drugs, genetics, and a slew of other really interesting subjects.
It's partially a scifi thriller as well as being a tale of humanity, drama and love.
This film isn't for everyone but I would suggest giving the film a try if you enjoyed similar films such as Gattaca, Brazil or Children of Men.
My biggest complaint with this film is that it came across as so surgical in its precision that the love story and the empathy towards the main characters needed to truly make the film work, was operating room clean despite the dirty future it was taking place in and yet tangled enough to make it difficult to clearly see where/when the operation was taking place.
February 16, 2014
Entertaining view of the not-to-distant future. Made likely by the global idiots corrupting humanity.
September 4, 2013
Has its problems, including Cottrell Boyce's typical liability of a script, but Winterbottom's direction glides over all, as per usual.
½ April 14, 2013
You know, you would think Tim Robbins + scifi would be a good thing, but not so much in this case.
½ February 27, 2013
Such an elaborate world left undiscovered, and what the film does focus on did not connect with me the way it needed to. But that's just me, Gattaca was more my flavour.
½ February 9, 2013
It's premise is inviting, but I lost connection with the characters after a while. Their situation & relationship are so alien that it's hard not to. Still, I enjoyed the performance and wanted to see where it would end up.
½ February 5, 2013
This movie had an awesome premise, but ultimately didn't take it anywhere. It's essentially a "drama" without the drama.
January 28, 2013
This is a movie with a cool concept, but a cliched and flat story. Another forbidden romance film, with a sci-fi hook. Michael Winterbottom gives the film an interesting detached coolness, remote and alien. Which is interesting for the sci fi part of it, but totally undercuts the personal story that is being told. Not that it is told well, I don't think I've ever watched a movie where the stakes were so low, so uninvolved. There are literally no big conflicts, everything is handled within minutes cooly and calmly. What's even worse is Tim Robbins. God is he bad. It's like watching a wet blanket. A big boring wooden, dull performance where he just says his lines and looks forward expressionless. This is juxtaposed against Samantha Morton who makes the best case Ive seen to play a replica if they reboot Blade Runner. Her performance is odd, intriguing, and foreign. They might as well not be acting in the same movie. To say they don't have chemistry is putting it lightly. If they could just find some interesting people or things to follow around in this world, but it's an unfortunate bore.
January 19, 2013
Set in a futuristic Shanghai, this film tells the cold thriller of a man and a woman who have violated Code 46, a clear genetic law which forbids incestuous relationships, whether on purpose or accidental. The film takes itself too seriously despite the fact that it is a mess of imperfection and the plot developments are much too hard to follow. It is the concept of the futuristic world that is compelling and original, with the particular mixture of languages spoken that seems like a wasted opportunity for the foundations of an interesting and original background cultural context.
January 5, 2013
Love love love this movie! It's a good example of how science fiction doesn't have to be action packed to be interesting and good. Inspired by Philip K. Dick and Brave New World, it's a love story and a great, modern retelling of a modern myth. The acting is great, the music is great, the locations and settings are great. Just lovely. I adore what they do with language and technology. This is a very believable film.
December 27, 2012
Den er nok litt b-film, men eg digger stemninga (y)
Herlig på ein sundag!
November 18, 2012
Interesting premise and sci-fi world but the characters either lacked chemistry or their story just wasn't very interesting.
November 11, 2012
I watched about an hour of this and just could not get into it. I don't like the concept, the acting is uninspired, and the production leaves more than a little to be desired. Don't bother with this.