Collateral - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Collateral Reviews

½ April 26, 2017
[spoilers] A great stylish noir echoing Blade Runner, Terminator, and Mann's previous accomplishments. The action scenes, especially the one in the disco, are stunning and amazingly filmed. In my opinion the finale settles things down as expected but leaves something to be desirable, maybe Cruise himself does not act his character's death convincingly.
April 18, 2017
Really enjoyed seeing tom cruise as a baddy and not in his usual role of playing tom cruise
March 31, 2017
I thought the story was really silly. A hit man tells a cab driver he's going to kill a bunch of people and that he wants him to drive him around the city to do it. But it was fun anyway.
½ March 28, 2017
Incredible work by all involved! I thought Cruise was entirely believable as a hitman and jamie Foxx brought some humor and humanity to what would otherwise have risked becoming a stylistic but empty film. Highly recommended!
½ March 15, 2017
I just couldn't get past the weird look Tom Cruise had. So bizarre...
March 15, 2017
An excellent mystery and suspense thriller! Both of the leads do a wonderful job in this film!
March 5, 2017
Stylish, classy action thriller. Amazing performance by Tom Cruise (who's actually convincing as the bad guy). Great formula, it works. Definitely a personal favorite.
February 24, 2017
With Tom Cruise's game changing performance and Michael Mann's satisfying direction, Collateral is a thriller that has a lot of depth in it's dialogue and characterization.
February 9, 2017
This is a pretty impressive neo-noir that actually succeeds at some serious suspense scenes. There are times in the film where you feel the pace go all wrong with some extraneous scenes, but overall this is a superb piece of slick LA thriller fare.
½ February 7, 2017
Vincent: Get with it. Millions of galaxies of hundreds of millions of stars, in a speck on one in a blink. That's us, lost in space. The cop, you, me... Who notices?

New review soon.
February 5, 2017
One of my favorite films! Truly a masterpiece!
February 3, 2017
I thought it was good!
January 30, 2017
viewed on 14/8/04 (Sat)

The storyline sounds boring. A one-night road trip of two guys? How much drama can you pack in? I was rather doubtful. But I go ahead since it is made by Michael Mann and stars Tom Cruise.

I always find Mr Cruise is a very hardworking actor. His commitment to his profession is evident. He is really good in the show. Not that he plays a bad guy but he comes across convincingly as a seeming cold-blooded killer with some humanity. Jamie Foxx is surprisingly very good, almost stealing the show just by playing a good guy. I can imagine Denzel Washington playing his role but Jamie is just as fine.

What I like most about the movie is that I believe it is shot using a handycam. But the film is processed so professionally that it ends up looking neither like a home video nor what we usually see in a movie. It gives a rather refreshing visual experience.

The script is cleverly written, posing many thought-provoking questions. Is it pathetic if we hold to a dream that takes years and years to fulfill? Is it worth going against your conscience to earn some big bucks? How much courage a cab driver needs to like a lawyer and go all out for her? Is there a difference between a killer and a war or a massacre? And what really a man's death amount to in a city void of feelings?

Expected Rating: B+
Rating: B+
January 5, 2017
It's good movie to watch
December 29, 2016
I actually liked this movie. Two good actors and a good plot. You would never expect that the taxi driver would fight back.
½ December 3, 2016
Good film. Amazing acting on behalf of Tom Cruise and Jamie Foxx. This is the first serious role for Jamie Foxx and put him on the map as the real deal actor before Ray made headlines.
November 12, 2016
this is one of those movies that feels physically impossible to hate. Michael Mann has an endlessly creative imagination and isn't afraid to show it. the soundtrack is amazing and every time it's used, it fits the scene perfectly. tom cruise plays a villain in collateral and when do you see him play a villain? painfully underrated movie, could not recommend it more.

Owens grade: A+
½ November 7, 2016
I quite liked this. Like an action crime noir, with interesting characters and overall concept. Less about what happens and more about the characters and existentialism. It also didn't take itself too serious, which led to a couple cliches and some cheese but that's ok, it was enjoyable.
October 19, 2016
May be the greatest Tom Cruise film ever!
½ September 28, 2016
Tom Cruise is excellent as his turn as a villain for once in a movie. Micheal Mans great direction and the exquisite shots make this film a must see and damn near a perfect movie. I really enjoyed this one, I just really wish Jason Statham and Javier Bardem were not relegated to essentially cameos in here, missed opportunity for sure