Colossal - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Colossal Reviews

½ March 15, 2018
If you are in the mood for a satirical cloverfeild meets pacific rim, colossal is not the way go; that, however, is only to it's benefit.
I expected to be mildly entertained and found myself blown away and radically touched by an involved, metaphorical work of art. Unbelievable acting on the part of jason sudeikis, who surprises with a character dept far beyond his usual roles, and Anne hataway who is almost unrecognizable.
March 10, 2018
An enthralling performance is given by Rebecca Hall as Hannah. One keeps getting pulled out of the movie whenever Jason Sudeikis has a few too many seconds of screen time. There's no doubt Jason has comedic acting chops but this character's depth stops there. I am excited for the day when Sudeikis shows us what exactly he has for drama, romance and other film genres but it isn't revealed within this character Andrew.
½ February 22, 2018
Surprising and unique. Truly inventive.
February 20, 2018
A strange and smart movie from the genius who created Timecrimes, with Anne Hathaway who looks beautiful again.
½ February 19, 2018
Was this supposed to be funny? Not my cup of tea at all.
February 15, 2018
This movie is literally trash. Why does it have 80% on here y'all need to make better movie choices. Low blow
February 15, 2018
A high concept dark movie about the cycles of abuse. Not as funny or as insightful as it tries to be. The ending is a bit clever but still bleak.
February 13, 2018
Fantastic and original!
February 13, 2018
Very different "girl meets boy", with satisfying, twisting finale.
February 12, 2018
I was actually pretty engaged in this story. Once you embrace the ridiculousness of the storyline, it actually becomes quite enjoyable.
½ February 5, 2018
I was happy to go with the alcoholism metaphor and darkly comic tone, but was surprised (and pleased) that the film actually pushed it somewhere even darker. Anne Hathaway and Jason Sudeikis are very well cast, bringing out both the charm and cruelty of two characters whose trajectories cross at just the wrong time.
½ February 4, 2018
I really tried to go with this, but you have to suspend disbelief so much for a movie to live in multiple tonal worlds. The director doesn't understand or care what world he's in and the result is a slow build to a movie that never fires. Supporting characters aren't developed, and there isn't much to the story or why people can't stop certain things or how a broke person flies halfway across the world on her own dime. I could go on. I was uncomfortable with Jason Sudeiks' acting. Something just doesn't click. Ann Hathaway is wonderful and spirited, and the only one able to pull off the tonal shifts in the movie. Too many WHYs here with little explanation. I did like the ideas of addiction being a through line. One may ask why didn't they stop going to the park. Besides the fact that would be the end of the movie, it shows the power of addiction and in some cases the addiction to power. Overall, it just didn't work for me, everything seemed to phony and the end is a mess. Final Score: 5.1/10
½ February 3, 2018
Weird but good. I liked how it showed Gloria overcoming the controlling guys in her life.
½ January 28, 2018
this is a great movie but you need an open mind since it takes an unexpected path all the way to the conclusion.
Anne Hathaway is great but Jason Sudeikis is amazing in his performance.
Anne has little motivation and real problems until she finds out that she has an amazing ability that affects others. unfortunately she tells her friends, not realizing how bad her friends are.
I like the ending where Anne chooses a third path out of a hostage situation, she stands up for herself.
½ January 28, 2018
A ideia do monstro é legal e super diferente, além do elenco ser bom. Mas existem dois filmes aqui e eles năo conversam bem um com o outro. É um filme sobre um monstro gigante em Seoul que é controlado por uma mulher dentro de uma caixa de areia num parque, que em um piscar de olhos se transforma em um filme sobre um cara obcecado por uma mulher, e que muitos anos atrás destruiu o trabalho de escola dela.
January 28, 2018
Weird but one of the most amazing movies. Even though it is a unique and a little odd of a concept it has a great storyline and all of the actors really shine. Anne Hathaway as always give a spectacular performance in another memorable performance with all of the other main and supporting actors giving fantastic performances.
½ January 27, 2018
Between 2.5 and 3. True it is very strange, some characters are unbearable, and it fluctuates between comedia and drama in a way that puzzles you. But it was very brave to try such an experiment like that, and some scenes impress.
January 26, 2018
The casting people must have given one another high fives when they got Anne Hathaway to do this. But word to.the wise. When casting for the role of drunk loser, an actress as flawlessly healthy looking as Hathaway is not the way to go, split ends notwithstanding. This is a quirky film that doesn't work on any level. Is it about second chances? Is it about unexpected events? Is it about the choices we make and their consequences? Is it about monsters? I don't know. But ultimately, I couldn't give a monkey's one way or the other. In a world of uncertainty one thing's for sure. Alcoholics don't look or function like Anne Hathaway. I'm just relieved she had a massive house and a ready support network to fall back on. Otherwise, the monster in South Korea would have spent it's days mimicking the tossing and turnings of someone
in a sleeping bag under a bridge.
½ January 25, 2018
Aki elolvassa a tartalmát a filmnek, az biztosan, hogy nem erre számít. Ha szeretitek a filmben szerepl? színészeket, akkor nézzétek meg. Nagyon vegyes a kritika és sokaknak nem tetszett. Nekünk igen.
January 23, 2018
A friend of mine texted me earlier this week- "OMG, you gotta see Colossal. Two words. Jason. Sudeikis". And as much as I try to sell my brand as "young trendsetter with plenty of friends and things to do", that is pretty much all the sway I need to get into a theater. Who am I kidding, I have nothing else to do.

I love going into a movie with no background info. Unfortunately, since I go to the movies so much, this is a rare luxury, as I am normally inundated with trailers. I managed not to see one for Colossal. I did accidentally catch Anne Hathaway on the Tonight Show calling this "a movie about a girl who gets drunk and then a monster terrorizes South Korea" but I think I just blacked this out since it is such a ridiculous thing to say. But that is pretty much the premise.
Anne Hathaway plays Gloria, an alcoholic who moves home during a tough time and falls into friendship with a group of guys who work/hang out at a bar. During this time at home, she realizes that when she walks through a playground in the early morning, a large monster materializes in a linked location in Seoul, South Korea.

Instead of spoilers, I am just going to use this time to say that I love that Jason Sudeikis took this role, and he was awesome in this. If he was only in weird indie comedies for the rest of his life, I would see them all. He is so funny and sincere and strangely menacing. I just need to try to separate him from Bill Hader's impression of him, which is pretty spot on. Jason would get a 10, but the movie gets a 8/10.