Colossal - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Colossal Reviews

December 16, 2017
Almost a masterpiece, and one of the best films about women empowerment. Way deeper and more poignant than Wonder Woman, by the way.
December 10, 2017
In a very interesting mix, there are two films here: one is typically sci-fi about a woman who discovers that she has a very strange power and two, at the same time she realizes a terribly humiliating weakness for abuse. It'll be for you to decide which of the stories carries more weight but I thought the resolution was socko. Nice too was the timeliness of the production given the headlines of the day. The cast delivers big time performances in this nuanced production. Why have the fans missed this???
December 6, 2017
Original como siempre Nacho Vigalondo incursionando en Hollywood con un resultado aceptable. Traumas infantiles con tintes de sci-fi.
½ December 3, 2017
A completely bizarre premise that locks you in and adheres to its own rules well enough to keep you deeply engaged. Like Being John Malkovich, once the boundaries are set, the rest is quite a ride. Hathaway and Sudeikis are exceptional. I loved this film.
½ December 2, 2017
What utter rubbish. It gives a bad name to monsters and comedy! Another reason not to listen to "highbrow" professional critics. Proofs Oscar winners can choose bad movie roles.
½ November 29, 2017
I watched the first 20 min and then.
November 29, 2017
A tale of two cities!

Did not expect it. It was a unique film. I love such films, because I'm bored of the same old action, romance, horror, thrillers. But it had loads of flaws. It was hard to get rid of them. Even I thought without those flaws, there's no tale to tell. In the end, entertainment matter and this film provided that without logics. So put aside your adult brain and enjoy it like a kid.

I had not seen the teaser, trailer and never heard the storyline before trying it. I just went and sat, the initial parts were not that impressive. Because returning the hometown is a common cliché. Though once the story had taken a twist, the rest of the narration changed completely. Well, the story is about the two cities and each city split into a black comedy and a disastrous theme.

An unemployed and alcoholic young woman returns hometown after break up with her boyfriend. Befriends an old friend, and starts anew life. Until she discovers that on the other side of the world, a giant monster wrecking up a city. Once again, she discovers that she had something to do with that. Following it, how her response reshapes the entire episode was told with a twist at the end.

Anne Hathaway was simply good. But not to forget Jason Sudeikis' part too. Both of them controlled the narration. This is a film to have fun. Not to go after errs. A film with the giant monsters, but less graphics used. Very clever writing by the Spanish filmmaker known for some good titles. I think the film is a little underrated. Recommended for those who seek nothing but an entertainment.

8/10
November 25, 2017
Funny and interesting story line. G
½ November 22, 2017
was very concern about watching this movie after seeing the trailer but it turned out to be a good movie
November 18, 2017
I love genre-benders, dark comedies, and monsters. I even like Anne Hathaway. I so actively hate this movie because it lies to its viewers and, like a terrible mixture of fine ingredients, gets them all wrong and squashes a wonderful possibility. I'm captivated by the premise, the world-building, and the commentary that the movie is leaning towards. But the film condescends its audience by not clueing them into the program until after it has begun the ham-fisted social messaging. The comedy evaporates, scenes become smashups from Lifetime specials, a nice character becomes (dun, dun, dunnnn), the real monster, a very cliche psychopath, whose motivations are razor thin. Then the film turns unnecessarily and self-indulgently sadistic. Most critics seem to like it just because it is surprising; I have yet to see a better reason. Receiving a bowl full of raisins, dogshit, and goo when you order a parfait, is surprising too, and should leave you pissed off as this movie did me.
November 15, 2017
Jason Sudekis was awesome in this, the turn in his charcter was unexpected maybe because it was Sudekis, either way all around good movie
November 11, 2017
Such a weird film and ending is illogical
½ November 10, 2017
Colossal metaphor, for sure.
½ November 5, 2017
They advertised wrong. It's not a comedy at all. It's pretty dark and the main characters aren't that likeable.The ending was a welcomed surprise to a terrible middle section. The good parts are the start and end.
November 5, 2017
Como anillo al dedo a alguien que conozco
November 5, 2017
I loved it! It was way more of an emotional story than I ever expected.
October 31, 2017
Nice unexpected twists. Liked the ending. Enjoyed the movie
October 29, 2017
An intriguing movie with good character acting that keeps you interested through to the end. Anne Hathaway in particular is great to watch.
October 26, 2017
What is this movie. Interesting premise by far yet falls flat in making it vital to the story and interest of the audience. Characters don't seem believable nor are they coherent in their personality and actions. Don't know if that was actually intended for its shock value, which it did, or if it was just an oversight by the producers as actions without motives lead to too great of a disbelief. Movie had potential but didn't deliver. At least Anne Hathaway is cute, and she and Jason Sudeikis performed their roles the best they could.
October 25, 2017
This is a surprise of a movie, the most interesting plot - thoroughly enjoyed it. No idea how you'd peg the genre - sci fi, fantasy, drama? And that's what makes it great.