Colossal - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Colossal Reviews

October 20, 2017
La verdad es que no me la esperaba así, y me ha acabado gustando más de lo que creía. No es la típica película de monstruos gigantes.
October 20, 2017
Original, funny and incredibly insightful. Best thing Anne Hathaway has ever done and Jason Sudeikis is great as well. Defying genre and formula, Colossal forges its own path to success.
October 18, 2017
I suppose when you watch a movie directed by a guy name "Nacho" it's going to be an oddball. Part Pacific Rim, part Silver Linings Playbook(sorta), with a bit of a fantasy element to it.. it's a very strange combination. Even with Anne Hathaway, one of my top celeb crushes of all time, and the very likable Jason Sudekis, I just couldn't get into this. It's not horrible, I felt like it didn't know what kind of movie it wanted to be.. a comedy? a drama? sci-fi? fantasy? It was all over the place really. I found it amusing that this got a rated R simply for language, nothing else haha
October 18, 2017
Colossal misfire. A mildly amusing/slightly interesting premise that could have been tolerable as a short, is stretched excruciatingly to feature-length. It's too heavy handed to be funny and too stupid to be taken seriously. Also, the execution suffers from a lack of focus, tone deftness, and urgency aka being an indie. This is one of those rare films that could have benefited from the Hollywood treatment because given its title, Colossal feels too small to matter.
October 17, 2017
Sortta good, but really a downer. A really good portrayal of what alcoholism can look like, which I was so not prepared for.
½ October 17, 2017
Uma mulher descobre que um gigante replica tudo o que ela faz, e que um amigo seu também se torna um gigante quando vai ao parque... ela bebe e o kra é um otário... seu amigo fica doido e quer destruir tudo se ela for embora, e ela resolve o problema matando ele indo até o outro lado do mundo e fazendo o monstro aparecer onde ele está....
October 16, 2017
Medium quality as for acting and visuals. Know one important thing, this movie has NOTHING to do with big monsters and everything to do with domestic violence. I would call it propaganda with the cool premise to draw you in, though it comes together so choppy it doesn't even do that well. Nothing is explained and your left confused if bad feelings/men really caused all the chaos. Get ready to see "girl power!" save the day. This movie caters to women who always wanted to use (spoilers) a giant remote control monster to squish their abusive ex boyfriend, or friend. Controlled by "lightening and feelings" and instigated by a child having a random jealous tantrum? How is this fresh? *scratches head*...
October 16, 2017
Interesting premise - but falls short of being captivating. The attempt to explore the various psychics of the characters provides some interest, but becomes predictable and not so interesting as the movie grinds on.
½ October 16, 2017
Terrible story buried a great concept...
October 15, 2017
Anne Hathaway plays an unemployed young writer who unwittingly causes a giant monster aka Kaiju to wreak havoc halfway across the world in Seoul, North Korea. The premise is interesting and I liked the different spin on Asian monster movies. The first 30 minutes started out good, with Hathaway's character realizing she is the one controlling the monster halfway across the world but has no idea how. Her childhood friend played by Jason Sudeikis also finds out he too controls a Kaiju when they both step into a neighborhood playground. Then the rest of the movie was just depressing, dark and not funny. The trailers made it look like this was going to be a black comedy. It is actually a 2 hour movie about a bunch of whiny alcoholics who hate life. None of the characters were likable, especially Sudekis' character who is a total ass the entire movie you just wanted him dead by the end of it. Too much drinking and complaining and not enough monsters and explaining why the whole thing even happened.

GRADE: C
½ October 15, 2017
strange and hardly worth the time....who thought of this odd offering?
½ October 13, 2017
Definite premise-originality points, solid acting, etc. Even the plot holes that inevitably build up - aren't particularly noticable on the first viewing. The most prevailing and unfortunate part of what I'm left with here however, is the sense of missed opportunity. A much better bargain was to be had here, than [mild spoiler] a little gender pandering and cute, thow-away ambiguity.
October 13, 2017
an interesting perspective between man and alcohol addiction.
October 11, 2017
A fun concept in need of a compelling story. Can talented actors overcome a bad script? Ultimately, no. Tedious waste of time.
½ October 10, 2017
There was nothing not stupid about this movie.
October 10, 2017
A lot more serious than I thought it would be. The tone shifted up and down quite a bit. In the end it was an okay movie.
October 10, 2017
I had high hopes for this movie. It's certainly quirky, and the performances by Anne Hathaway and especially Jason Sudeikis are great, but the plot left a lot to be desired. I walked away feeling underwhelmed by the film's bizarre climactic sequence and completely unsatisfied by Anne Hathaway's character arc. Overall, it was just okay.
October 9, 2017
The metaphor was obvious and completely effective
½ October 7, 2017
This film is refreshing as everloving shit. Upon initial viewing, it seems that Vigalondo doesn't know what he wants this film to be, that assumption could not be wrong. This is not the story about a freak of nature that controls a monster, this is a story about people. Incredibly well developed, realistic, and imperfect people. They could subtract the monster element entirely and still have a decent drama, but the science fiction high stakes plot device makes the tension all the more intense. This movie ignores what a movie is supposed to be and blends together multiple genres. It does not set any limits for yourself. Wheather you think the final product ties together well or not (which I absolutely do) this is a fantastic concept to inspire filmmakers to come. Absolutely reccomended.