Colossal - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Colossal Reviews

July 13, 2018
A tussle between a Kaiju science fiction fantasy and a coming-of-age genre with a recovering alcoholic makes for a thoughtful essay on adult responsibility and the psychology of revenge.
July 5, 2018
Surprising, unique, funny, and different. Deserved to do better in movies and should have been marketed better because this is a must watch. Refreshing and fun.
½ July 4, 2018
Good idea, sadly they couldn't make more with it. First half of the movie is OK, but then the second half took a strange turn and kind of deviate from the main plot of the movie and not in a good way.
June 28, 2018
Movie is intersting. BUT MAKES NO SENSE.
June 19, 2018
Without question, one of the oddest, most original movies I saw this year. Anne Hathaway plays a bit of lush, going through the latest of what seems to be a string of bad decisions. She retreats from her boyfriend and apartment in the city to seek asylum at her parents abandoned small-town home. She soon runs into an old friend/flame who owns the local bar and offers her a job. What started as an attempt to escape and dry-out, now affords her the access to cheaper drinks and more of them. One morning she wakes up to the news that South Korea had been terrorized by a skyscraper-sized monster the night before. The revelation to come to Hathaway's character serves as an explicit metaphor for the destruction she is causing in her own life. Colossal is riotous with laughs but surprisingly poignant about self-confidence, reliance, and abuse. Seemed to be a strange choice for Anne, but after a string of high budget, high drama roles, Colossal makes a lot of sense for a more grounded change of pace.
½ June 18, 2018
Huh? Well, I tried to view it as an allegory...
½ June 10, 2018
entretenida,divertida y anne excelente como siempre.
½ June 10, 2018
Fun character and weird story combine to bend a few minds and satisfy your imagination.
June 8, 2018
Great film. Most original plot i've seen in a while.
½ June 3, 2018
Colossal starts off as a strange but entertaining mash up of indie romcom and monster movie, but then the story heads in a really unexpected, darker direction. Unique, and definitely worth your time.
May 30, 2018
While the acting was great and I'm always up for a weird storyline, this movie was a terrible waste of my time. It didn't make any sense at all. I mean, obviously the storyline of the monster doesn't make real life sense, but even the reast of the story made no sense.
½ May 28, 2018
One of the most wonderfully weird movies ever. Excellent performances and sfx. Great sound track too. Interesting commentary on both alcoholism and feminism I thought. Part comedy, drama, Scifi, Psychological Thriller, and Kaiju monster movie. Whatever it was it was very well done.
½ May 21, 2018
Wanted to like this movie. Was excited to see it but it goes nowhere and one of the worst movies I have seen in a long time.
May 21, 2018
Not the straight-up comedy kaiju film it was advertised as. Instead, an excellent comedy/drama that focuses more on the characters. Well worth a watch.
May 20, 2018
Honestly one of the most surprising films that
I've seen in sometime... it was brilliant & completely original. Never saw it coming & that was quite refreshing.
May 20, 2018
Original, funny and incredibly insightful. Best thing Anne Hathaway has ever done and Jason Sudeikis is great as well. Defying genre and formula, Colossal forges its own path to success.
May 13, 2018
It was ok in a creepy kind of way
½ May 9, 2018
It was a great movie, but it was marketed as a comedy and it had a very serious undertone about abusive relationships. I didn't think it was funny at all...
May 3, 2018
Colossal is a funny, quirky, and a unique film. I've never seen anything like it, and it's absolutely thrilling and fun at the same time.