Coming to America - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Coming to America Reviews

October 14, 2016
This gets five stars - no question - not for being best movie ever, but for being one of funniest most quotable movies ever.
½ September 24, 2016
Would you believe that there was once a time when Eddie Murphy ruled the comedy world? Coming to America is proof of such a notion. With whip smart dialogue, colorful and likable characters, heartfelt and genuine performances from every actor involved (with Eddie Murphy and Arsenio Hall playing multiple roles throughout), and slick direction from John Landis, this is a true comedic classic with a ton of rewatchibility. If there's anything that prevents this from being a perfect movie, it's that the story itself is rather predictable and mundane, following certain beats that many viewers may see coming; the ending in particular is quite obvious. Thankfully, everything else works so well in the film's favor that it doesn't get in the way of its overall quality. There's not a whole lot else to say. It's hard to review a comedy without expressing your personal tastes and for me, it was very funny and worth the time. Check it out now and remember the golden age of Eddie Murphy.
August 17, 2016
One of Eddie Murphy's best films!
August 10, 2016
While its story is predictable, Coming to America nevertheless benefits from Eddie Murphy's performance as a pampered African prince (and 2 minor characters as well) and gleefully profane 80's humour.
August 8, 2016
One of Eddie's best. He was at the height of his powers and back then we loved seeing his multiple characters. Obviously he later ran that schtick into the ground but back in '88 it was hysterical. Soul Glo and McDowall's for life.
½ July 30, 2016
Quite funny in places, A good story, Eddie Murphy does a good job, Just falls flat in the last half hour.
½ July 25, 2016
Why they didn't continue making films we may never know
July 24, 2016
Really funny and well written
½ July 18, 2016
3 1/2
This is prop my favorite Eddie Murphy movie. Fun idea that was well executed. The great Samuel L Jackson has a small role in the movie. The Barber scene is the greatest. Overall a pretty funny movie I would highly recommend it.
July 17, 2016
A charming movie that - to be cliche - makes you think "Why don't they make movies like this anymore?"
July 12, 2016
This movie still entertains me after all of these years. Sure it is a tad cliche, but it still has a lot of charm and a lot of laughs. If you have never seen this before, you should definitely give it a watch! It is not Eddie Murphy's best movie, but it is still one of his good ones.
July 12, 2016
Very funny and very great story, hands down one of Eddie Murphy and Arsenio Halls best movies ever
July 5, 2016
This rarely funny Murphy - at his less spirited - satiric comedy is a definition of a silly hollow flick, even though it'd started to actually pick itself up towards the conclusion. (B-)
June 25, 2016
A positive, enjoyable romantic comedy without being lame or girly.
June 16, 2016
Clearly the best comedy ever!
June 11, 2016
This is one of my favorite Eddie Murphy movies.
Eddie and Arsenio both play several characters and crush it.
June 1, 2016
The film is effective early on in making Eddie Murphy's character sympathetic despite his background. It perfectly balances an adult sense of humor with scenes of slapstick comedy, consistently delivering some sort of attention grabber. The supporting cast lends itself well to helping Murphy to not be the focal point of everything. Overall a very well-made comedy and movie.
May 27, 2016
Started off really funny. Then just went stale. Was alright though
May 17, 2016
one of my favorites of all time
May 8, 2016
one of the first movies to show Eddie's ability to play more than one character, coming to america is an east romantic comedy to watch, with spats here and there of comedic value.