Coming to America - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Coming to America Reviews

September 21, 2017
Hilariously funny movie with a lot of drama in the end and it makes me laugh every time! Some inappropriate humor but great to watch. Eddie Murphy gives a sweet, touching and hilarious performance and is great comedy/drama film!
August 29, 2017
"SEXY CHOCOLATE!"

This is beat-for-beat predictable from start to finish but damn if it isn't a hilarious treat anyway.

The royal penis is clean.
August 27, 2017
Heartwarming film and Eddie Murphy's best performance. Eddie Murphy plays a noble, honorable and humble Prince Akeem in this romantic comedy. For a couple of hours at least, I could pretend that Eddie was this noble in real life, but I've caught segments of his live comedy and it's way to raunchy for me. I don't know how he gets cast in family/kid movies. But he certainly created a wonderful character for this movie. He and Arsenio's ability to play so many different characters is quite entertaining. Lots of talent there. The characters in this film are so likeable that I forgot for a minute that the only white character in the movie is a not-so-bright guy flipping burgers. Get even time? Okay, fair enough. The all black cast did an outstanding job. The older lady on the subway who Prince Akeem gave the ruby earrings to is precious! It's a great movie! Just don't watch the uncensored DVD if you're rated PG like me. I wish that Eddie would keep his comedy PG rated. You lose a great audience when you go raunchy!
June 5, 2017
ahahahah this movie is hilarious !!! :D
May 21, 2017
Classic Eddie Murphy movie! One of the funniest comedies ever made!
jamrcla
½ April 20, 2017
Quite funny in places, A good story, Eddie Murphy does a good job and the film goes at a good pace but it just falls flat in the last half hour, Samuel L. Jackson's cameo was brilliant and makes me laugh every time, Could of been better but could of been worse too.
April 13, 2017
Eddie murphey classic
½ April 6, 2017
Story about a prince from Africa who travels to America in search of a wife. Really horrible. Eddie Murphy is embarrassingly bad. He cashed a check here. However, I did like the movie when he's not on screen.
March 20, 2017
Great comedy. The scene with Samuel L Jackson is brilliant.
½ March 19, 2017
A very funny comedy classic has that foreigner-comes-to-America feel to it.
February 26, 2017
Tomatometer must be broken! Should read 100%.
A MASTERPIECE!!
February 12, 2017
African prince sets out to look for a wife in Queens New York. Typical boy meets girl and falls in love. Amusing in places.
½ January 26, 2017
This is a movie that I don't think holds up well, it feels entirely dated and locked into the late 80s. The plot is completely predictable and bland. The characters all seem like they were torn from a Saturday Night Live sketch, and that doesn't provide the depth to hold up for a 2-hour movie. Sure, there are moments that make me laugh, but they are rare. The worst part of the film is that this is patient zero for Eddie Murphy makeup comedy. Somehow he got it into his head that you don't have to write strong jokes, just put on makeup to become 5 or more different broadly-stereotyped characters and the audience will be entertained. I don't get it. I watch him as a barber, a Jew, a pastor, etc. and I'm waiting for there to be a reason. Am I just supposed to laugh because I know it's Eddie Murphy or Arsenio Hall? Coming to America isn't a failure, and it offers a handful of good jokes, but I still blame it for turning Eddie Murphy onto this strange idea that costumes + makeup = humor.
½ January 8, 2017
Showcases Murphy ' s undeniable, but overused talent for the one-liner. This film is funny in places, but it's also altogether too predictable, both in terms of plot and what Murphy will do with it. John Landis, too, isn't up to his usual standard. He seems to be rather more interested in the scenes as straightforward sections of story, rather than lending them any directorial panache.
December 28, 2016
Good, silly fun for a lazy afternoon! A solid performance from Murphy.
December 16, 2016
One of my fav classic movie of all time. Best part about it is the cheesy tone.
October 14, 2016
This gets five stars - no question - not for being best movie ever, but for being one of funniest most quotable movies ever.
½ September 24, 2016
Would you believe that there was once a time when Eddie Murphy ruled the comedy world? Coming to America is proof of such a notion. With whip smart dialogue, colorful and likable characters, heartfelt and genuine performances from every actor involved (with Eddie Murphy and Arsenio Hall playing multiple roles throughout), and slick direction from John Landis, this is a true comedic classic with a ton of rewatchibility. If there's anything that prevents this from being a perfect movie, it's that the story itself is rather predictable and mundane, following certain beats that many viewers may see coming; the ending in particular is quite obvious. Thankfully, everything else works so well in the film's favor that it doesn't get in the way of its overall quality. There's not a whole lot else to say. It's hard to review a comedy without expressing your personal tastes and for me, it was very funny and worth the time. Check it out now and remember the golden age of Eddie Murphy.
August 17, 2016
One of Eddie Murphy's best films!
August 10, 2016
While its story is predictable, Coming to America nevertheless benefits from Eddie Murphy's performance as a pampered African prince (and 2 minor characters as well) and gleefully profane 80's humour.