Coming to America - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Coming to America Reviews

February 12, 2018
The fact that this movie is rated at 68% while Coco is sitting at 97% pretty well invalidates the critics altogether.
February 2, 2018
An Eddie Murphy comedy vehicle that is hijacked by his co-star Arsenio Hall. Although both play multiple characters and the fun of them playing off of each other is there, Eddie's main character, Prince Akeem is a little lightweight.

A very funny film at times and the Barbershop scenes are quality.
December 26, 2017
Funny and a must see if you enjoy other comedies of the era.
December 13, 2017
An absolute classic comedy. If you don't like it, you are probably a racist.
December 1, 2017
Not bad! Even has a couple funny moments. Congrats to Eddie for making a fish out of water comedy that didn't turn the main character into a buffoon.
October 26, 2017
Ok movie starring Eddie Murphy, it's your generic guy who come s to America to find a girl, like the dictator.
October 1, 2017
Five stars hands down! Clearly the best comedy ever!
September 21, 2017
Hilariously funny movie with a lot of drama in the end and it makes me laugh every time! Some inappropriate humor but great to watch. Eddie Murphy gives a sweet, touching and hilarious performance and is great comedy/drama film!
August 29, 2017
"SEXY CHOCOLATE!"

This is beat-for-beat predictable from start to finish but damn if it isn't a hilarious treat anyway.

The royal penis is clean.
August 27, 2017
Heartwarming film and Eddie Murphy's best performance. Eddie Murphy plays a noble, honorable and humble Prince Akeem in this romantic comedy. For a couple of hours at least, I could pretend that Eddie was this noble in real life, but I've caught segments of his live comedy and it's way to raunchy for me. I don't know how he gets cast in family/kid movies. But he certainly created a wonderful character for this movie. He and Arsenio's ability to play so many different characters is quite entertaining. Lots of talent there. The characters in this film are so likeable that I forgot for a minute that the only white character in the movie is a not-so-bright guy flipping burgers. Get even time? Okay, fair enough. The all black cast did an outstanding job. The older lady on the subway who Prince Akeem gave the ruby earrings to is precious! It's a great movie! Just don't watch the uncensored DVD if you're rated PG like me. I wish that Eddie would keep his comedy PG rated. You lose a great audience when you go raunchy!
June 5, 2017
ahahahah this movie is hilarious !!! :D
May 21, 2017
Classic Eddie Murphy movie! One of the funniest comedies ever made!
jamrcla
½ April 20, 2017
Quite funny in places, A good story, Eddie Murphy does a good job and the film goes at a good pace but it just falls flat in the last half hour, Samuel L. Jackson's cameo was brilliant and makes me laugh every time, Could of been better but could of been worse too.
April 13, 2017
Eddie murphey classic
½ April 6, 2017
Story about a prince from Africa who travels to America in search of a wife. Really horrible. Eddie Murphy is embarrassingly bad. He cashed a check here. However, I did like the movie when he's not on screen.
March 20, 2017
Great comedy. The scene with Samuel L Jackson is brilliant.
½ March 19, 2017
A very funny comedy classic has that foreigner-comes-to-America feel to it.
February 26, 2017
Tomatometer must be broken! Should read 100%.
A MASTERPIECE!!
February 12, 2017
African prince sets out to look for a wife in Queens New York. Typical boy meets girl and falls in love. Amusing in places.
½ January 26, 2017
This is a movie that I don't think holds up well, it feels entirely dated and locked into the late 80s. The plot is completely predictable and bland. The characters all seem like they were torn from a Saturday Night Live sketch, and that doesn't provide the depth to hold up for a 2-hour movie. Sure, there are moments that make me laugh, but they are rare. The worst part of the film is that this is patient zero for Eddie Murphy makeup comedy. Somehow he got it into his head that you don't have to write strong jokes, just put on makeup to become 5 or more different broadly-stereotyped characters and the audience will be entertained. I don't get it. I watch him as a barber, a Jew, a pastor, etc. and I'm waiting for there to be a reason. Am I just supposed to laugh because I know it's Eddie Murphy or Arsenio Hall? Coming to America isn't a failure, and it offers a handful of good jokes, but I still blame it for turning Eddie Murphy onto this strange idea that costumes + makeup = humor.