Coming to America - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Coming to America Reviews

March 22, 2018
An 80's cult comedy gem! Eddie Murphy delivers a film full of genuine laughs, memorable characters and moments, as well as quotable dialogue.

5/5 stars
½ March 13, 2018
Amusing for the most part, bolstered more by Murphy and Hall's attempts to play half the cast than by making much logical sense to itself.
½ March 2, 2018
COMING TO AMERICA- 68%
Entertaining and rich.
A nice entertaining movie which has a nice message. I am not the biggest comedy fan and I must say I only laughed once in this whole movie. Despite that I liked the idea. I thought some scenes needed to be cut shorter or made longer.
Story wise and execution: 2.1/3.5
Acting: 1.5/2.5
Camera work: 1.4/2
Sound: 1.8/2
Overall Score: 3.4/5
February 28, 2018
The original Black Panther {2018}. The portrayal of woman here is questionable. Film is funny at times with wonderful set design.
February 12, 2018
The fact that this movie is rated at 68% while Coco is sitting at 97% pretty well invalidates the critics altogether.
February 2, 2018
An Eddie Murphy comedy vehicle that is hijacked by his co-star Arsenio Hall. Although both play multiple characters and the fun of them playing off of each other is there, Eddie's main character, Prince Akeem is a little lightweight.

A very funny film at times and the Barbershop scenes are quality.
December 26, 2017
Funny and a must see if you enjoy other comedies of the era.
December 13, 2017
An absolute classic comedy. If you don't like it, you are probably a racist.
December 1, 2017
Not bad! Even has a couple funny moments. Congrats to Eddie for making a fish out of water comedy that didn't turn the main character into a buffoon.
October 26, 2017
Ok movie starring Eddie Murphy, it's your generic guy who come s to America to find a girl, like the dictator.
October 1, 2017
Five stars hands down! Clearly the best comedy ever!
September 21, 2017
Hilariously funny movie with a lot of drama in the end and it makes me laugh every time! Some inappropriate humor but great to watch. Eddie Murphy gives a sweet, touching and hilarious performance and is great comedy/drama film!
August 29, 2017
"SEXY CHOCOLATE!"

This is beat-for-beat predictable from start to finish but damn if it isn't a hilarious treat anyway.

The royal penis is clean.
August 27, 2017
Heartwarming film and Eddie Murphy's best performance. Eddie Murphy plays a noble, honorable and humble Prince Akeem in this romantic comedy. For a couple of hours at least, I could pretend that Eddie was this noble in real life, but I've caught segments of his live comedy and it's way to raunchy for me. I don't know how he gets cast in family/kid movies. But he certainly created a wonderful character for this movie. He and Arsenio's ability to play so many different characters is quite entertaining. Lots of talent there. The characters in this film are so likeable that I forgot for a minute that the only white character in the movie is a not-so-bright guy flipping burgers. Get even time? Okay, fair enough. The all black cast did an outstanding job. The older lady on the subway who Prince Akeem gave the ruby earrings to is precious! It's a great movie! Just don't watch the uncensored DVD if you're rated PG like me. I wish that Eddie would keep his comedy PG rated. You lose a great audience when you go raunchy!
June 5, 2017
ahahahah this movie is hilarious !!! :D
May 21, 2017
Classic Eddie Murphy movie! One of the funniest comedies ever made!
jamrcla
½ April 20, 2017
Quite funny in places, A good story, Eddie Murphy does a good job and the film goes at a good pace but it just falls flat in the last half hour, Samuel L. Jackson's cameo was brilliant and makes me laugh every time, Could of been better but could of been worse too.
April 13, 2017
Eddie murphey classic
½ April 6, 2017
Story about a prince from Africa who travels to America in search of a wife. Really horrible. Eddie Murphy is embarrassingly bad. He cashed a check here. However, I did like the movie when he's not on screen.
March 20, 2017
Great comedy. The scene with Samuel L Jackson is brilliant.