Coming to America - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Coming to America Reviews

½ July 18, 2016
3 1/2
This is prop my favorite Eddie Murphy movie. Fun idea that was well executed. The great Samuel L Jackson has a small role in the movie. The Barber scene is the greatest. Overall a pretty funny movie I would highly recommend it.
July 17, 2016
A charming movie that - to be cliche - makes you think "Why don't they make movies like this anymore?"
July 12, 2016
This movie still entertains me after all of these years. Sure it is a tad cliche, but it still has a lot of charm and a lot of laughs. If you have never seen this before, you should definitely give it a watch! It is not Eddie Murphy's best movie, but it is still one of his good ones.
July 12, 2016
Very funny and very great story, hands down one of Eddie Murphy and Arsenio Halls best movies ever
July 5, 2016
This rarely funny Murphy - at his less spirited - satiric comedy is a definition of a silly hollow flick, even though it'd started to actually pick itself up towards the conclusion. (B-)
June 25, 2016
A positive, enjoyable romantic comedy without being lame or girly.
June 16, 2016
Clearly the best comedy ever!
June 11, 2016
This is one of my favorite Eddie Murphy movies.
Eddie and Arsenio both play several characters and crush it.
June 1, 2016
The film is effective early on in making Eddie Murphy's character sympathetic despite his background. It perfectly balances an adult sense of humor with scenes of slapstick comedy, consistently delivering some sort of attention grabber. The supporting cast lends itself well to helping Murphy to not be the focal point of everything. Overall a very well-made comedy and movie.
May 27, 2016
Started off really funny. Then just went stale. Was alright though
May 17, 2016
one of my favorites of all time
May 8, 2016
one of the first movies to show Eddie's ability to play more than one character, coming to america is an east romantic comedy to watch, with spats here and there of comedic value.
April 25, 2016
Enjoyable comedy with regal Eddie Murphy performance.
April 22, 2016
An absolute classic! It ages like fine wine.
March 20, 2016
I know nearly every line of this movie. It's not my favorite though.
February 20, 2016
This is the funniest movie
½ January 10, 2016
A movie with strong sentimental value!

An 80s classic curse happy vehicle! I could watch this a trillion times. A film where you memorize the script without trying, if you grew up in the 80s, and what l mean to say by that is...

''Just let ya sooo-ullll gloooww!''

Let it shine through.
January 7, 2016
This film holds strong nostalgic value for me, I could probably watch it a billion times. One of those films where you unintentionally memorize the script, if you grew up watching it anyway. An 80s comedy classic.
½ January 5, 2016
This is a movie I saw quite often on tv as a kid/teenager and what I could recall was pretty patchy. Watching is again made the whole movie make so much more sense, and boy did it make me laugh. Its humour is quite often very subtle and very tongue in cheek. It has many laugh out loud moments, its off the chain and oddly bizarre but it works, in fact it works very well. A novelty plot is quite the fun watch despite the feeling of 'what am i watching' hanging around like a bad smell. Eddie Murphy and Arsenio Hall obviously play massive parts in this movies success and its a joyful watch. Its probably more funny then most of the comedies I watched in the last year.
December 24, 2015
An all time classic. One of the best comedies in the history of cinema.