Conan the Barbarian - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Conan the Barbarian Reviews

May 15, 2017
The most epic soundtrack in the history of cinema; Basil Poledouris was a fucking genius. Whoever did the score for Lord of the Rings or any other fantasy movie doesn't come even close. The movie would be a pale shadow without the score, even though the action is great, and the characters are memorable, almost zany. It's like a late-night session of DnD, replete with evil wizards, musclebound barbarians, valkyries and sneaky archers. Conan the Barbarian hearkens back to an age when men were men, disagreements were violent and bloody, and martial prowess meant everything. It's a classic revenge story set in the Hyborian age that is sure to leave all adrenaline junkies thoroughly pumped. An underappreciated masterpiece.
April 4, 2017
pseudo-classic film, features great costume and photography from the seventies era crew, instead of the slick, commercial-appeal look of 80's action and fantasy era pictures. As has been said before, film flirts with distinctly fascist overtones throughout - eugenics, the breeding of an illiterate warrior class, fundamentalist cults, quotes from Nietzsche on the power and dominance of strength. The film's great score and visual style aren't really matched by it's lead though, as Schwarzenegger is unable to bring much drama, pathos or depth to his role as an orphaned warrior child seeking revenge. Really, the most emotive sequences are created by the films soundtrack and stylized set pieces, and there's not much of a story arc to build the film into a legitimate "epic" ala Lawrence of Arabia. Oliver Stone who wrote for the movie envisaged a series of powerhouse action-fantasy films appearing every two-three years with Schwarzenegger as the lead, but the series was followed by a garbage sequel, additionally, the fan base ridiculed Arnold's dialogue and acting chops, giving him a Razzie or whatever it is for worst actor of 1982.
March 30, 2017
One of the best and most tragically underrated of all fantasy films. Faithful in spirit but not in letter to R. E. Howard's short fiction, it at least captures the bleak brutality, unyeilding warrior ethos, political incorrectness, and philosophical depth of his vision, without a shred of post-modern irony. The sets are amazing, and Basil Poledoris' phenomenal orchestral score is among the best ever written.
March 24, 2017
Liked this one, it was a good movie.
March 10, 2017
The acting is just horrible. The story is alright as there is a bit of a mystery with the cult but it doesn't go too deep. The action is alright. Overall it's a semi decent movie with no real plot and very bad acting.
January 23, 2017
Appallingly bad. Very disappointing for those seeking an enchanting fantasy. The acting was terrible and the nudity was in poor taste. The plot was lost on me. Overrated! (First and only viewing - 5/13/2010)
January 22, 2017
Adapted from the brilliant fantasy stories of Robert E. Howard, Conan the Barbarian remains one of the greatest examples of the fantasy genre. Conan opens with a classic quote from Nietzsche: "That which does kill us makes us makes us stronger." From there, the film becomes a truly Nietzschean tale about defining the self against all odds. Filmed in a way that can only be described as epically sublime, Conan the Barbarian features not only one of Arnold's greatest performances but awesome supporting roles from the likes of James Earl Jones and Max von Sydow. Blending brutal action together with moments of dark magic and slapstick comedy, Conan the Barbarian is an almost perfect fantasy-action film that explores the individual's ability to rise up from the ashes and conquer the gods themselves.
December 29, 2016
A good movie. Good cast and a good plot. There was some action and some decent special effects. Arnold was good as Conan.
December 16, 2016
Probably along with star was IV the best single movie ever made. A man starts with nothing and gets revenge on the religious overlord commnuist dictator. Has comedy and Arnold in his prime who seems born to play he role. Has the wise ass ruff edge of the 80s that is so missed from modern jiizfests fo political correctness.
November 22, 2016
An adventures action movie building a masculine hero. Portrating the life of Conan, from his childhood, giving insight to his inner values and motivation to crush those who have destroyed his life. Set in the far away mountains and desserts, giving it all a creeping cult atmosphere, where DOOM and Thulsa Doom is worshipped by a snake-cult. Great occultism and a vision of a ancient cult worshipping the strong, sex and sacrifices.
September 24, 2016
I am watching all of Arnold Schwarzenegger's movies in order, this was #5. This might be my least favorite one so far, and the first 4 were not good movies. How this movie has a sequel and reboot (that is somehow worse than the original) is a mystery. It's Arnold's first starring role, but he really doesn't say much, and most of the plot doesn't make any sense. James Earl Jones is some sort of evil snake (literally) and Conan and his friends have to kill him for a bunch of reasons. That's the best I can do here. I guess if you are going to watch one of the Conan movies it would be this one, but unless you are Schwarzenegging like I am, don't bother.
September 16, 2016
Excellent start to a franchise.
½ September 1, 2016
Arnold Schwarzenegger vs James Earl Jones's voice.......
August 23, 2016
Tried watching it. It hasn't aged very well. Couldn't get into it.
½ July 31, 2016
One of the greatest high-adventures of all times. this is a classic from start to finish and I wish they made more movies just like this with 100% practical effects!
½ June 27, 2016
A warriors family is murdered and after years of enslavement he seeks revenge upon the murderer. Excellent adaptation with strong performance by Earl Jones.
½ May 25, 2016
one of my favorite movies of all time
½ May 9, 2016
I prefer Terry Pratchett`s version, Cohen The Barbarian, in "The colour of magic"
April 28, 2016
Though definitely a guilty pleasure from the cheesy 80's of which I grew up, this is such outstandingly fun. It's so unique a cinematic experience, knowing what we know of Schwarzenegger's life and career the 34 years since, seeing him at this juncture, as he's just starting out. (No, I haven't seen 'Stay Hungry' yet.)

Part of me always wishes he had simply stuck to these films (as well as the 'Terminator' series), and was still making them. In his prime, I dare you to find anyone better at this kind of material.