Conan the Barbarian - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Conan the Barbarian Reviews

September 24, 2016
I am watching all of Arnold Schwarzenegger's movies in order, this was #5. This might be my least favorite one so far, and the first 4 were not good movies. How this movie has a sequel and reboot (that is somehow worse than the original) is a mystery. It's Arnold's first starring role, but he really doesn't say much, and most of the plot doesn't make any sense. James Earl Jones is some sort of evil snake (literally) and Conan and his friends have to kill him for a bunch of reasons. That's the best I can do here. I guess if you are going to watch one of the Conan movies it would be this one, but unless you are Schwarzenegging like I am, don't bother.
September 16, 2016
Excellent start to a franchise.
½ September 1, 2016
Arnold Schwarzenegger vs James Earl Jones's voice.......
August 23, 2016
Tried watching it. It hasn't aged very well. Couldn't get into it.
½ July 31, 2016
One of the greatest high-adventures of all times. this is a classic from start to finish and I wish they made more movies just like this with 100% practical effects!
½ June 27, 2016
A warriors family is murdered and after years of enslavement he seeks revenge upon the murderer. Excellent adaptation with strong performance by Earl Jones.
½ May 25, 2016
one of my favorite movies of all time
½ May 9, 2016
I prefer Terry Pratchett`s version, Cohen The Barbarian, in "The colour of magic"
April 28, 2016
Though definitely a guilty pleasure from the cheesy 80's of which I grew up, this is such outstandingly fun. It's so unique a cinematic experience, knowing what we know of Schwarzenegger's life and career the 34 years since, seeing him at this juncture, as he's just starting out. (No, I haven't seen 'Stay Hungry' yet.)

Part of me always wishes he had simply stuck to these films (as well as the 'Terminator' series), and was still making them. In his prime, I dare you to find anyone better at this kind of material.
½ March 23, 2016
With just enough subtlety and drama to balance its violent premise and gore, "Conan" succeeds as a magnificent fantasy film.

V: 68%
February 5, 2016
One of the most awesome movies ever made, and probably one of the only fantasy films of the 80s that can count as a true work of cinematic art. Why more people don't like this film baffles me.
January 31, 2016
The music and the visuals are spectacular, putting you in the feeling of an Indiana Jones movie. However, the movie has scenes happen for no reason, and litterly go nowhere. The pacing in the beginning and the middle are horrible, extending unnecessary scenes and shortening important scenes. The end is where the film really gets exciting and starts to feel natural, despite a few goofy moments. The film plays out more like an unintentional comedy, having cartoonish or bizarre scenes that are so goofy, that you can't help but to laugh. The fight scenes are well put together for the time, with great practical effects with blood and the giant snake.

Despite numerous problems, Conan is a decent action-fantasy with a few laughs here and there.
January 30, 2016
Cheesy ok fair enough, fantasies and never allow your self to be spell bound. Shoot for this type of spectacular end, right!
January 23, 2016
It may be outdated and cheesy, but Conan the Barbarian remains a dark, griddy, and intriguing action flick, featuring a great cast, awesome set pieces, and it did the one thing they had to do: make Arnold kick ass and never talk.
January 10, 2016
A classic original movie that I very much like. Arnold is Conan...Conan is Arnold.
½ December 30, 2015
Cult status. But not a very good film.
½ December 29, 2015
The sets & costumes are, for the most part, quite good. Nonetheless it is has superficial characters which are poorly acted, and it takes itself much too seriously. Due to its lack of humor it becomes a parody of itself.
December 28, 2015
I really do love this film, it is Schwarzenegger at his best. My only real complaint about this film is that some of the effects are dated. But, I can't really hold that against the film considering the year it was made.
½ December 28, 2015
The build up is long, it is overly violent, and the story sucks. I prefer the sequel to this movie: Conan the Destroyer.