Conan the Barbarian - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Conan the Barbarian Reviews

March 10, 2017
The acting is just horrible. The story is alright as there is a bit of a mystery with the cult but it doesn't go too deep. The action is alright. Overall it's a semi decent movie with no real plot and very bad acting.
January 23, 2017
Appallingly bad. Very disappointing for those seeking an enchanting fantasy. The acting was terrible and the nudity was in poor taste. The plot was lost on me. Overrated! (First and only viewing - 5/13/2010)
January 22, 2017
Adapted from the brilliant fantasy stories of Robert E. Howard, Conan the Barbarian remains one of the greatest examples of the fantasy genre. Conan opens with a classic quote from Nietzsche: "That which does kill us makes us makes us stronger." From there, the film becomes a truly Nietzschean tale about defining the self against all odds. Filmed in a way that can only be described as epically sublime, Conan the Barbarian features not only one of Arnold's greatest performances but awesome supporting roles from the likes of James Earl Jones and Max von Sydow. Blending brutal action together with moments of dark magic and slapstick comedy, Conan the Barbarian is an almost perfect fantasy-action film that explores the individual's ability to rise up from the ashes and conquer the gods themselves.
December 29, 2016
A good movie. Good cast and a good plot. There was some action and some decent special effects. Arnold was good as Conan.
December 16, 2016
Probably along with star was IV the best single movie ever made. A man starts with nothing and gets revenge on the religious overlord commnuist dictator. Has comedy and Arnold in his prime who seems born to play he role. Has the wise ass ruff edge of the 80s that is so missed from modern jiizfests fo political correctness.
November 22, 2016
An adventures action movie building a masculine hero. Portrating the life of Conan, from his childhood, giving insight to his inner values and motivation to crush those who have destroyed his life. Set in the far away mountains and desserts, giving it all a creeping cult atmosphere, where DOOM and Thulsa Doom is worshipped by a snake-cult. Great occultism and a vision of a ancient cult worshipping the strong, sex and sacrifices.
September 24, 2016
I am watching all of Arnold Schwarzenegger's movies in order, this was #5. This might be my least favorite one so far, and the first 4 were not good movies. How this movie has a sequel and reboot (that is somehow worse than the original) is a mystery. It's Arnold's first starring role, but he really doesn't say much, and most of the plot doesn't make any sense. James Earl Jones is some sort of evil snake (literally) and Conan and his friends have to kill him for a bunch of reasons. That's the best I can do here. I guess if you are going to watch one of the Conan movies it would be this one, but unless you are Schwarzenegging like I am, don't bother.
September 16, 2016
Excellent start to a franchise.
½ September 1, 2016
Arnold Schwarzenegger vs James Earl Jones's voice.......
August 23, 2016
Tried watching it. It hasn't aged very well. Couldn't get into it.
½ July 31, 2016
One of the greatest high-adventures of all times. this is a classic from start to finish and I wish they made more movies just like this with 100% practical effects!
½ June 27, 2016
A warriors family is murdered and after years of enslavement he seeks revenge upon the murderer. Excellent adaptation with strong performance by Earl Jones.
½ May 25, 2016
one of my favorite movies of all time
½ May 9, 2016
I prefer Terry Pratchett`s version, Cohen The Barbarian, in "The colour of magic"
April 28, 2016
Though definitely a guilty pleasure from the cheesy 80's of which I grew up, this is such outstandingly fun. It's so unique a cinematic experience, knowing what we know of Schwarzenegger's life and career the 34 years since, seeing him at this juncture, as he's just starting out. (No, I haven't seen 'Stay Hungry' yet.)

Part of me always wishes he had simply stuck to these films (as well as the 'Terminator' series), and was still making them. In his prime, I dare you to find anyone better at this kind of material.
½ March 23, 2016
93%
With just enough subtlety and drama to balance its violent premise and gore, "Conan" succeeds as a magnificent fantasy film.

V: 68%
February 5, 2016
One of the most awesome movies ever made, and probably one of the only fantasy films of the 80s that can count as a true work of cinematic art. Why more people don't like this film baffles me.
January 31, 2016
The music and the visuals are spectacular, putting you in the feeling of an Indiana Jones movie. However, the movie has scenes happen for no reason, and litterly go nowhere. The pacing in the beginning and the middle are horrible, extending unnecessary scenes and shortening important scenes. The end is where the film really gets exciting and starts to feel natural, despite a few goofy moments. The film plays out more like an unintentional comedy, having cartoonish or bizarre scenes that are so goofy, that you can't help but to laugh. The fight scenes are well put together for the time, with great practical effects with blood and the giant snake.

Despite numerous problems, Conan is a decent action-fantasy with a few laughs here and there.
January 30, 2016
Cheesy ok fair enough, fantasies and never allow your self to be spell bound. Shoot for this type of spectacular end, right!