Conan the Barbarian - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Conan the Barbarian Reviews

½ April 14, 2016
A warriors family is murdered and after years of enslavement he seeks revenge upon the murderer. Excellent adaptation with strong performance by Earl Jones.
½ May 25, 2016
one of my favorite movies of all time
½ September 1, 2008
I prefer Terry Pratchett`s version, Cohen The Barbarian, in "The colour of magic"
March 11, 2014
Though definitely a guilty pleasure from the cheesy 80's of which I grew up, this is such outstandingly fun. It's so unique a cinematic experience, knowing what we know of Schwarzenegger's life and career the 34 years since, seeing him at this juncture, as he's just starting out. (No, I haven't seen 'Stay Hungry' yet.)

Part of me always wishes he had simply stuck to these films (as well as the 'Terminator' series), and was still making them. In his prime, I dare you to find anyone better at this kind of material.
½ September 2, 2014
93%
With just enough subtlety and drama to balance its violent premise and gore, "Conan" succeeds as a magnificent fantasy film.

V: 68%
February 5, 2016
One of the most awesome movies ever made, and probably one of the only fantasy films of the 80s that can count as a true work of cinematic art. Why more people don't like this film baffles me.
July 18, 2015
The music and the visuals are spectacular, putting you in the feeling of an Indiana Jones movie. However, the movie has scenes happen for no reason, and litterly go nowhere. The pacing in the beginning and the middle are horrible, extending unnecessary scenes and shortening important scenes. The end is where the film really gets exciting and starts to feel natural, despite a few goofy moments. The film plays out more like an unintentional comedy, having cartoonish or bizarre scenes that are so goofy, that you can't help but to laugh. The fight scenes are well put together for the time, with great practical effects with blood and the giant snake.

Despite numerous problems, Conan is a decent action-fantasy with a few laughs here and there.
October 16, 2010
Cheesy ok fair enough, fantasies and never allow your self to be spell bound. Shoot for this type of spectacular end, right!
January 23, 2016
It may be outdated and cheesy, but Conan the Barbarian remains a dark, griddy, and intriguing action flick, featuring a great cast, awesome set pieces, and it did the one thing they had to do: make Arnold kick ass and never talk.
January 10, 2016
A classic original movie that I very much like. Arnold is Conan...Conan is Arnold.
½ September 12, 2007
Cult status. But not a very good film.
½ December 29, 2015
The sets & costumes are, for the most part, quite good. Nonetheless it is has superficial characters which are poorly acted, and it takes itself much too seriously. Due to its lack of humor it becomes a parody of itself.
December 28, 2015
I really do love this film, it is Schwarzenegger at his best. My only real complaint about this film is that some of the effects are dated. But, I can't really hold that against the film considering the year it was made.
½ December 28, 2015
The build up is long, it is overly violent, and the story sucks. I prefer the sequel to this movie: Conan the Destroyer.
½ December 27, 2015
"Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women." Enough said.
½ May 6, 2008
An almost-flawless flick. This is Arnie's element, and he tears it up. Gerry Lopez's laid-back style complements Arnie's oaky stiffness superbly, and Mako, being an actual wizard, hardly needed to act here. James Earl Jones rocks. Max Von Sydow rocks. Sven Ole Thorsen rocks. My only problem is that, while the character of Valeria is written as feisty and vivacious, a further complement to Conan and Subotai, Sandahl Bergman's portrayal fails to convince us of this. Sure, she's great in the action scenes, but her delivery is pretty flat, and her face virtually expressionless. In fact, one silent stare from Nadiuska (as Conan's mother) conveys more depth of personality than Bergman's whole performance. Good cameo from William Smith as Dad. Milius and Stone have succeeded brilliantly in capturing the spirit of REH's writing. John Milius wears his politics on his sleeve a bit, likening Thulsa's mindless followers to hippies...who need an educated, realist warrior to rescue them from their 'delusion'. While I don't particularly agree with this assessment in the real world, the movie version actually works fine. The cinematography, design, and Basil Poledouris's score are all fantastic. And I love the pea & human soup. The sequel is pretty pitiful compared to this, as is pretty much every other sword & sorcery flick that came after it...until LOTR, that is.
December 8, 2015
The self-seriousness, the cheesy dialogue, the barbaric violence - do they work? Yes, they do.
November 23, 2015
No se cuántas veces la llegué a ver, pero de niño me parecía interesante; ahora, me pareció aburrida en grandes partes. No se qué tan bien adaptada esté del pulp fiction o de las historietas o las tiras cómicas que leía en el periódico porque estas últimas no solía leerlas con continuidad y pues se perdía la aventura. Sin embargo en el aspecto visual sí coincide en múltiples ocasiones, por lo que con base a esto es una buena adaptación.
Las actuaciones de James Earl Jones y Max Von Sydow, así como de Gerry Lopez son muy buenas, sin embargo la de Arnold desde entonces no era destacable y se alcanzan a escuchar sus quejidos y gruñidos característicos guturales, nunca los cambió, no se si sea parte de su sello.
A pesar del gran gore que contiene, nuevamente no se por qué me dejaban verla de niño con tan altos índices de sangre, violencia y desnudos. En ocasiones pasa desapercibido por la gran acción que contiene. Es una buena película, posiblemente un poco superior a su versión más reciente. Y que le hace justicia al personaje con excepción del rostro de Shwarzenegger no ayuda mucho. Probablemente Momoa sea mejor Conan en ese aspecto o haga falta ver un Conan más con aspecto de Bárbaro, posiblemente como los villanos de esta misma cinta.
November 15, 2015
This movie is a mixed bag: Go see it if you want to watch Arnie shed lawless violence with big swords. Definitely listen to the Basil Polodouris soundtrack, as it is the best part of the movie. Plotting is uneven, 90% dialogue is unimportant, and characterization almost non-existent. Also, lots of small boobs and spilled blood in a world of no right and wrong. Watch for Arnie, or watch not.
October 13, 2015
Was much better when I was a kid.