Crazy Rich Asians - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Crazy Rich Asians Reviews

½ September 25, 2018
Nick Young and Rachel Chu have been dating for about a year. Rachel is an economics professor at NYU and a first generation American raised by a single Chinese-immigrant mom. Nick was born in China but raised in Singapore, where his family still lives.

The story begins with Nick inviting Rachel to accompany him to Singapore for his best friend's wedding. It's not until they get to the airport that she discovers that his family is actually filthy rich. The giveaway is that their airplane seats not only fully recline into beds but are also in a private suite. I didn't even know this was a thing. I wonder if they're insulated from the pervasive odor of feet that permeates coach when the huddled masses simultaneously remove their shoes.

When Nick and Rachel arrive in Singapore (extremely refreshed, I might add), they're picked up by the bride- and groom-to-be and run around a market sampling food like they're in an episode of Anthony Bourdain's Parts Unknown, but without the acerbic wit.

Next, Rachel meets up with her wacky college friend Peik Lin who just happens to also live in Singapore. Peik Lin is the only one in the whole movie who's the least bit funny, but unfortunately she's not the only one who's actually trying to be funny. The supporting cast includes a whole slew of colorful characters whose job is apparently to imbue the movie with forced zaniness.

The gist of the story is that it's always been the plan for Nick to move back to Singapore and take over the family business, something he never bothered to tell Rachel. Also, Nick's mother doesn't approve of her. And since he's Singapore's most eligible bachelor, all of the other single women hate her guts.

This movie didn't sound like something I would particularly like, but for some reason, it was really well-reviewed. What that reason is, I can only speculate. Perhaps critics felt that the all-Asian cast and exotic locale elevate its otherwise trite love story from its intrinsic banality. Or perhaps they found the ostentatious displays of wealth by non-white people refreshing. Whatever the case, it didn't work for me except as a travelogue regularly photo-bombed by really annoying people.

Rachel and Nick are likable enough and I did enjoy seeing how dumplings are made, but somehow the overarching theme of "Hey look, Asians can be crazy too!" didn't cut it for me.
½ September 25, 2018
GUYS THIS FILM WAS SO BAD MAN. IT TOOK LITERALLY AN HOUR AND A HALF TO GET INTO THE PLOT LINE. I'm so disappointed. I was actually excited to watch it too. If you want to pay to bore yourself, this movie is for you.
½ September 25, 2018
An abomination of a film , I cannot for the life of me understand how this film is rated so high, if I could I would have rated it less I would have, I had to leave after an hour of pure torture, seems like the only way THIS movie could be rated this high is by fake ratings and I will be taking imbd and rotten tomatoes with a pinch of salt from now on. Please save your money time and sanity and avoide this film.you have been warned.
½ September 25, 2018
Great film very enjoyable and perfect date movie. loved the spectacle and romance between the main couple.
½ September 25, 2018
Overall, a fun movie with hints of critique of societal pressure and socioeconomic differences. Still, pretty bland. Wouldn't watch it again for the content, but for what it represents in Hollywood.
September 25, 2018
amazing movie - funny, fresh, touching, sentimental --> cannot wait to see this movie again
½ September 24, 2018
Thank You Kathleen . We had wondered about STPB's involvement and realised the show was as you detected a showcase . Nothing wrong with promoting Singapore or include a travallogue but when you disguised in a uncouth drama- commedy it is self defeating .
The dialogue and acting , with exceptions of Keng Hua, Golding and Constance was a repetition of the same type of dramatic posturing we Singaporeans endured for decades by these same actors and actresses. They still sound the same, ( same pretend accent) copied cliched stances and media and film loving friends of mine were all disappointed and ashamed.

Above all , nothing written and subsequently priduced were authentic . Even a fictionalised comedy must bear resemblance to the truth . The richest family in Singapore is that if the kate Mr. Ng Teng Fong whom Kwan and Chu dies nit share a chikdhood growing up with . The Ngs, biggest developer in Singapore apart from the Singapore government are modest low key
and far removed from Kwan's carcature . My aunty Mrs Ng hooteD at Michelle's Yeoh's portrayal which is more of Hongkong Tai Tai or even Taiwanese or nouveau riche of China BUT
Please, not us Singaporeans !!!! Yeoh 's acting is not dissimilar to her kung fu movies , sci fi , historical drama . Stilted speech, angular kinesics , and total lack if vulnerability . Inwaited for years for to act human because she must be in real life, but she is still in cast iron . When will she ever break out like Gong Li ?

All said this is a movie as a journalist , media consultant and Singaporean I am not proud of and never want to be reminded.
September 24, 2018
so happy this movie was made and is doing as well as it has, it deserves all the recognition its getting.
½ September 24, 2018
Enjoyable, hope they Make fIlms close to the original source material
September 24, 2018
This movie is an amazing hit. It has a beautiful love story, humor, life lessons, great acting and much more... Worth watching!!!
½ September 24, 2018
Nope nope nopity nope. It's incredible that all these fine Asian actors get a glossy vehicle that attempts to celebrate Singapore and Asian culture and it's a train wreck featuring shallow, vulgar people with burdened with serious shopping issues. Oh yeah, and it's predictable and stupid. I was tricked into going by all the positive reviews. I'm doing this as a service to people who haven't seen it yet.
September 24, 2018
Wonderful rom/com fare. Runs the gamut from hilarious to tear-jerking.
½ September 24, 2018
Whilst I do wonder how much of the film's praise is down to Hollywood diversifying in its all Asian led cast, I cannot criticize its heartwarming, feel-good core. Crazy Rich Asians has become another addition to the growing page to screen club, with the script adapted from Kevin Kwans book of the same name. A fairly clichéd story, that's elevated in the extraordinary environment. Lacking in the humor needed with the genre, but overall a feel-good film celebrating Asian American cultures that'll almost make you want to buy a lottery ticket or a flight to Singapore.
September 24, 2018
There are decisive factors that persuades frequent spectatorship into certain moviegoing experiences from genres to studio and directorial craft. Story is another, but the sole factor itself is the main one for most films with the anticipation level being bolstered by accessible interest, especially when instead gets sorted into a waitlist for a home viewing since a story is a story with a measured scale that's probably better worth for a rental ticket. Films tend to refute that, even though it can only be seen to agree. That is the kind of case "Crazy Rich Asians" turned out to be, a cross social culture rom-com that has rejuvenated the genre when it has demonstrated what viewing an exotic film is like.

Based on a book by Kevin Kwan, the story follows New Yorker Rachel Chu's relationship with Nick Young being tested when he takes her as his plus one to his best friend's wedding in Singapore, which gives her the chance to meet his family. What she doesn't know is that Nick's family is one of the country's wealthiest, and that luggage labels him as one of its most followed bachelors. Finally getting to know the side of Nick he distanced himself from, she gets thrown into the hidden mess by being targeted by jealous socialites and beginning to lose her confidence in their love when being dragged down by his controlling mother's disapproving attitude.

Romantic comedies has an overused formula that spices the romance(s) towards predictability with the acting of the melodrama being minimally little to occasionally ridiculous. "Crazy Rich Asians" seems to might have followed that familiar routine but with a perfect charismatic soul as a lovely heart that may be difficult to reach in succeeding replication, hence the rejuvenation. It has taken the characterization's human drama and romance to be attached in captivation on the direction of the relationships, which is an act of actually caring for the characters. What made that possible is the majority Asian American casting performing with perfect energy and charisma that seek out the heart to fully blossomed, particularly the main pair Constance Wu and Henry Golding alongside Michelle Yeoh, Gemma Chan and especially Awkwafina in a comedic breakout role.

Jon M. Chu's direction is probably his best out of his moderate sized filmography when balancing between the soulfully-performed heart and the striking production designs, defining an exotic film with composer Brian Tyler's scoring further enriching the heart. Aside from the overall elegancy and perfectly-done efforts, the narrative structure seems like an essay on the line of "money can't buy happiness" when focusing Rachel and Nick's relationship on proving that normal, earned happiness triumphs over wealth. That was showcased in another parallel as a subplot for Nick's cousin Astrid to show the alternative "what-if" as an attempt to express the meaningful loyalty the main romance is built with. With that being pointed out, it could either be further proof that this film rejuvenated the genre or uncovered an aspect that wasn't noticeable till now as a study for the genre.

May not have read the literature trilogy, but the impressive, culturally heartening, talented perfection that "Crazy Rich Asians" turned out to be could be another case of film adaptation over source material. The film itself is wonderfully entertaining by its humanistic soul, which makes it one of the best rom-coms there is. There's enough anticipation towards the next chapter to see this very collaboration again in action. (A-)
September 24, 2018
A feel-good movie with a predictable ending. It did have some solid laughs.
½ September 24, 2018
The beloved rom com has taken a battering in recent times with such a severe decline in quality that it was doubted that it could ever return to it's former glory with films highlights of the genre such as Pretty Woman and Bridget Jones Diary becoming just distant memories from a bygone era. Thankfully this weeks film of the week at Tralee Omniplex, Crazy Rich Asians, as well as addressing diversity casting issues within the film industry gives a badly needed shot of life to this jaded genre and somewhat resembling the two rom com gems mentioned above thematically makes for a very entertaining two hours of entertainment and possibly the sleeper box office hit of the year!
Crazy Rich Asians follows native New Yorker Rachel Chu (Constance Wu) as she accompanies her longtime boyfriend, Nick Young (Henry Golding), to his best friend's wedding in Singapore. Excited about visiting Asia for the first time but nervous about meeting Nick's family, Rachel is unprepared to learn that Nick has neglected to mention that he is part of one of the country's wealthiest families but also one of its most sought-after bachelors and it soon becomes clear that while money can't buy love, it can definitely complicate things.
Visually stunning with the magnificent Singapore serving as an able backdrop to wealth that will make the viewers eyes pop in a way that we once marvelled at Dallas or Dynasty, Crazy Rich Asians is much more than a stylish, materialistic ocular treat with some sharp script writing and solid performances elevating this production to lofty heights.
The support cast in particular are worthy of a special mention as the likes of Awkwafina and Ken Jeong add excellent comedic moments to this charming tale with Michelle Yeoh excelling as the steely prospective mother-in-law.
Social structures, family dynamics and wealth are dealt with throughout this alluring feature that even though revisits old ground genre wise, has a fresh and invigorating feel to it.
Crazy Rich Asians contains all the ingredients that other rom coms in recent times have forgotten to add to the recipe. It's charming, heartfelt, funny and ultimately a likable romp that will please fans of the rom com movie.
½ September 24, 2018
The audience is crazy, in addition to the stereotyped Asians in the movie. This movie is not worthy of a sitcom.awful Nothing original except that it features so many Asians. For that I gave it a star.
September 24, 2018
Amazing movie and I like the wedding scene especially the mahjong and proposal scene!!! I LOVE IT!!!
½ September 24, 2018
Crazy Rich Asians is a 2018 American romantic comedy-drama film directed by Jon M. Chu.
I was expecting a fun comedy full of colour, vibrancy, laughter, and razzle-dazzle. What I got was a serious drama with a thin narrative containing some feeble attempts at comedy which didn't work. The first section was too long, filled with lots of introductions and little else., and there were very few people laughing in the cinema I attended, The one redeeming moment (mahjong scene) towards the end was genuinely touching, but what followed, wasn't. While the settings were lavish and colourful, the very average acting left me unfulfilled. This all could have been done so much better. D & B
½ September 23, 2018
Head scratching. Absolutely no idea why this made it into theaters, much less rated so highly. Completely lacked land semblance of a story to the point of lacking genre. I left 3/4 of the way through the movie after holding out as long possible and still cannot give this filming a classification. The acting was good, but completely pointless. \