Crazy Rich Asians - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Crazy Rich Asians Reviews

January 14, 2019
Finally got to this one after hearing from so many people about how good it was. I will say it wasn't overhyped this was a great little romantic comedy. The film is based on the novel of the same way and follows a young professor named Rachel Chu (Constance Wu) who is traveling with her boyfriend NIck Young (Henry Golding) to Singapore to attend Nick's best friends wedding. Rachel begins to realize how well off Nick and his family are. The answer is incredibly. Rachel is soon thrown into a live of posh and riches, but it all comes with a catch. Nick's mother Eleanor (Michelle Yeoh) is very disproving of Rachel stating that she will never be good enough for Nick. Rachel soon realizes that maybe this isn't the life for her. The film also stars Awkwafina as Peik Lin Goh who is Rachel's ex college roommate that has moved back to Singapore. First off this movie is actually quite funny. It does have a lot of dramatic moments, but the scenes that feature Awkwafina are just hilarious and I found myself laughing quite a bit. I enjoyed Constance Wu's performance and she really does a great job giving off a girl next door in the wrong kinda place feel. I enjoyed the story and i really liked the style of the movie. They have some very lavish locations and I really liked the feel of it all. They went all in with an all Asian cast and this is definitely in my opinion director Jon M. Chu's best movie period. Some of his previous films such as Step Up 3D (2010), G.I. Joe Retaliation (2013) & Jem and the Holograms (2015) are just kinda big messes. I think he's found his niche here and I look forward to the sequel China Rich Girlfriend!
January 13, 2019
The acting was good but the plot is boring and predictable, could have used more Awkwafina, the only entertaining thing in the movie was her character
January 13, 2019
A cute rom-com, nothing more, nothing less. How anyone dubbed this Golden Globe worthy is beyond me.
January 13, 2019
While groundbreaking with the all-asian cast. the plot feels much like any cliche movie I have seen in Asia.
January 12, 2019
CURRENTLY WATCHING on amazon !
January 11, 2019
2018 was a weak year for films and Crazy Rich Asians was one of the weakest additions to an already bad year.
"Rich" yet "Poor."
Poor taste, poor writing, poor acting, poor directing, poor cinematography, poor editing, poor production values.
January 11, 2019
The worst romcom of 2018 (Usually love romcoms.)
Bland acting (except for Ken Jeong), weak jokes and ZERO chemistry between the two leads.
January 11, 2019
Fine film for when you feel like watching mindless, shallow trash.
½ January 11, 2019
Satisfying for its diversity in cast. If only the storyline matched it with less formulaic rom-com content.
January 10, 2019
This was is the most generic pos i have ever had the misfortune to see. Not worth the bandwidth it took to pirate it.
½ January 10, 2019
Here is a typical rom-com of the 1930s type (you know, the Great Depression, when everybody dreamed that being rich was the answer to life's difficulties, and the movies reflected that) in that a poor ingenue outsider faces considerable obstacles of the familial variety when she dares to aspire to marry the rich favorite son. So overdone, so familiar, as to be of the go-to-sleep-with- the-teevee-still-on variety. But that's merely the opening premise. Beyond is an intricately designed cultural assault, no less, in a cinematic bid for Asian inclusion and equality that implements your familiarity with those motifs to make its point. There's simply too much to list and so I'll only note that the romantic lead attempts a Cary Grant impersonation - shamelessly. Heading this assault is the indomitable Michelle Yeoh (who I love, and so enough about that!) as the hard-nosed matriarch. But, back to the film: pretty good.
½ January 9, 2019
I don't understand the appeal of this movie. I heard one funny joke in a boring, formulaic stagnation pretending to be clever and urbane. Nothing deviated from my expectations, and I scratched my head when the credits rolled. "What was this? Was I supposed to be emotional invested in these characters?"

If you enjoy vanilla ice cream and the low yield of a basic savings account you will love this snoozefest.
January 8, 2019
This wasn't what I was expecting...It was like a Hallmark Movie of the week on a LAVISH budget and the best looking Asian people in the world. It was a feel good movie and YES some may cry at the end. The shots of opulence and riches beyond our wildest dreams were totally interesting. It was also like a travel ad for the city of Shanghai. Wanna go there now. Oh yes and you will get a kick out of the movie.
January 8, 2019
If you have the choice of having a root canal or watching this lame film, then you will be better off having a painful dental procedure. After reading all of the positive reviews we were excited to finally see this movie. A 6th grader could have written something that is more interesting than this POS!!! Don't watch it! Predictable to the point of a really bad Hallmark film, We were laughing about how trite the dialog became.....and the cornball lines, Terrible film! Don't waste your time.
January 8, 2019
This clever modern homage to Cinderella is a delight. A perfect concoction, light as a feather in the surface and deep and rich inside. Sublimely crafted cinematography including a spectacular shot the a party at the where Rachel Meets Astrid with no cuts for a long tracking take. Gorgeous shots of Astrid bringing her husband a plate of food that looks like a painting.

The story is an intricate juggle of dynamic characters with true arcs. Even the minor characters are vibrant and unforgettable. I absolutely love the cast!

All the characters story lines converge in the ethereal wedding sequence. Which is a rollercoaster of emotion and the climax is pitch perfect. Congratulations to the stunning cast and impeccable director.

The music is also fantastic from the jazz singer at the party to the versions of Material Girl, Can't Help Falling in Love, Money & Yellow. I just fell in love with the movie.
It was my favorite movie of 2018. Make that my favourite movie of all time
January 7, 2019
Come for the pretty (people, locations, set design); stay for the humour. And the Colin Khoo.
January 6, 2019
Amazing movie, 9.5/10
½ January 6, 2019
Was it a bad "Monster in Law?" Yes, yes it is.
½ January 5, 2019
Didn't know what to expect going in but what I found was a story about love and family. Really enjoyed the movie and it made me reflect deeply on my own life. Always a sign of a good movie.