The Crying Game - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Crying Game Reviews

August 28, 2016
It still holds up even if you know about the big twist. Its a complex thriller about the IRA, forbidden love, and all sorts of other nuances. The acting is phenomenal and the outcome very endearing, for an interesting twist on an old formula.
½ July 8, 2016
Slow but thoughtful.
June 10, 2016
A very shocking movie totally unexpected and twisted.

Rewatch review: Still amazing on a second watch, tight script and stellar presentation. All around a gripping and absorbing thriller highly recommended
½ May 29, 2016
I worked at Blockbuster Video when this movie came out,so the reveal was ruined for me many years ago (probably why I've waited so long to see it). Good believable story involving the IRA trying to force one of its members to be released and the resulting havoc this creates in the life of the guy who has to carry out the "or else" when he is not let go. Extremely well acted by Rea and Jaye Davidson.
May 27, 2016
Excellent film with that famous twist. An ira volunteer falls for the lover of a dead British soldier
May 27, 2016
While it is famously known for its unexpected twist (though something doesn't feel right all along, one wouldn't expect it happen and with such graphic display), there are a lot more interesting elements to keep the audience invested throughout its runtime. It is very difficult to categorize the story into a specific genre as it touches different themes like conflicts between loyalty and affinity, sexuality, loneliness and monophobia with great ease and finesse. Another big positive is its masterful screenplay which binds many different storylines without rushing or underdeveloping any aspect and at the same time expertly placing beautiful moments at strategic places.

Jody (Forest Whitaker), a British soldier gets seduced into a trap laid by IRS and becomes a hostage where he befriends one of his captors Fergus (Stephen Rea) who mutually responds to the affinity. A day comes when Fergus has to execute Jody but couldn't because of their bonding and Jody makes a run for it realizing that but gets crushed by an incoming tank of the British army who eventually annihilate the IRS camp. Assuming everyone to be dead, Fergus moves to Britain and starts living an anonymous life while looking for Dil (Jaye Davidson), who Jody mentions to be very special and requests Fergus to meet her. Fergus has to cope up with Dil's secret and his past catching up to him.

Performances: Forest Whitaker starts off the proceedings well with a charismatic role with a small screentime that needs to be remembered throughout the movie. The mantle is carried forward excellently by Stephen Rea but the eventual showstopper is a career defining performance by Jaye Davidson as Dil with varying character arcs who is confident yet vulnerable and longing yet stubborn. Also a special mention goes to the bartender who plays an entertaining role. The rest of the actors does a decent job, they may not have layered characterizations but they settle into their roles well.

Filmmaking: From the outset it looks like a slow building drama while the brilliance lies in its writing which brings various themes, story arcs and characters with such smoothness that it takes time to realize that the course of the story has changed from time to time. The director knows his winning moments as he invests enough of his runtime for such scenes which actually lingers on audience minds long after watching the movie. Almost always a conventional successful story is one which makes the audience to look forward to know how it concludes - 'Crying Game' is no different but with its unconventional theme and background it also adds an element of mystery and suspense making it even better. The background score does a great job by staying in the background, it is neither intrusive nor out of key and blends well with the proceedings on the screen.

A slow building multi-layered original drama with beautiful moments and unexpected twists
May 5, 2016
Not very plausible or compelling to me. I saw it in the theater when it was released, and was interested in the beginning, but felt it just started to wander without purpose. Then, it tried to rely too much on its reveal, which was apparent to me (and not shocking at all). Too many disparate elements thrown together to work for me. Neil Jordan became one of my least favorite directors after this, and his butchering of "Interview..."
February 28, 2016
One of my all time favorite movies, which is amazing. Seeing it wasn't at all like what I thought it would be. It was a lot of the reason I changed my mind and heart towards LBGT's. From basher to supporter.
February 6, 2016
Its originality checks out, turning from psychological thriller into compelling drama in an excellently written twist.
January 15, 2016
Don't waste your time. A total bore it is.
December 20, 2015
Outstanding acting and an exciting tense script make this movie a must-see!
December 20, 2015
One of the best thrillers of the '90's.
December 7, 2015
November 16, 2015
When the film begins you may think it is a political thriller, after that it could be a love story, but it is that and many things more. it is a film about "human nature" represented in the story about the frog and the scorpion. This was the first time I listened to the story and since then I has never forgotten it.
October 28, 2015
Even if you know the big surprise, it's a compelling drama.
September 18, 2015
I hate to say I but this movie feels kind of dated. Somewhere in between the background music and the 90s drama slowmos and close ups it wears a bit on you. However, the acting and casting is fantastic. Jaye Davidson is brilliant and Stephen Rea is always the best. Great little movie.
½ September 12, 2015
I thought you knew.

A Brittish solider on leave is tricked, kidnapped, and held strategically captive. When it is time to eliminate the soldier, he has long been talking to the guy holding him captive. He makes the guy promise him to say goodbye to a "special friend" and then after a weak escape attempt, the guard kills him but tries to fulfill his final wish. When his former partners have suspicion of the guard's actions, he puts the guard and special friend's life at risk.

"It's not in your nature to let me go."

Neil Jordan, director of Ondine, Byzantium, the Brave One, Michael Collins, The Miracle, and numerous episodes of Borgias, delivers The Crying Game. The storyline for this picture is compelling, unique , and well written. The dialogue and acting are both perfect. The cast includes Stephen Rea, Forest Whitaker, Miranda Richardson, and Adrian Dunbar.

"Do you have a special friend, Jimmy?"
"How special?"
"Do you want one?"

This is one of those movies I felt guilty that I had never seen. I found this on Netflix and had to add it to the queue. This was very well done and entertaining. There were so many sub plots and unique elements. This is a must see and all time classic.

"It's alright Jimmy, I can take it, just not on the face."

Grade: A-
August 24, 2015
An intriguing dramatic piece, "The Crying Game" goes in an entirely different direction than you would expect, giving it plenty of edge.
August 18, 2015
Far better in my memory that what remains now. The film has not aged well. Miranda Richardson is the strongest element of the movie.
July 29, 2015
This is a thriller with a whole bunch of twists and turns. Changed tone about halfway through. For once I couldn't see the big reveal coming, although I could tell something was off just couldn't put my finger on it lol. I really love the theme song and the unusual story/romance. However I thought it was a bit dated and couldn't get into it as much as I hoped. I think it's a bit overrated I mean really 100%-nah. Nevertheless decent watch on a Friday night.