The Crying Game - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Crying Game Reviews

½ May 1, 2018
It is such a wonderfully weird movie, built from odd and unexpected turns at every corner-not just the now-too-well-known twist, but from top to bottom strange and unpredictable choices. These are not just narrative twists to keep the mystery tense and the viewer gripped; more often, these are provocative bends to the more traditional filmic frame, gendering bending being the most obvious, but also the casting of Whitaker, an American, to play a British soldier, or the almost deconstructive loop between host and hostage, hunter and hunted. It is a film situated at the liminal space of identity: We are in-between creatures, emerging from a primordial bisexuality (as Freud said), never fully home in our country, never fully escaped when we leave, never purely of a single race or class, never merely thriller nor simply romance, never wholly whole, always in need of others. Destruction and violence, rather, are the result of attempts to stabilize and to narrow that nature into just one camp: The racist and protectionist IRA trying to unify/make whole their nation; heteronormativity writ large, repressing very basic homosocial desires until they flood forth; the socialized expectation of polar partnerships, one active and one passive, one top and one bottom. What feels weird is how the movie exposes these dichotomies, slides between them, and attempts to carve out a different space, a different vision of being-with that, as in the climatic twist, exposes the strange and ungraspable nature of the human condition.
February 24, 2018
IRA story turned into transvestite lover. I think I am still scarred from this one. Some good acting though. 1001 movies to see before you die.
February 19, 2018
Jaye Davidson's most memorable role to date and one of Stephen Rea's earliest successes
Neil Jordan tells a different kind of romance/spy thriller
the film has great talent from the two leads even with Forest Whitaker who's only in here for a short time
things don't pick up until 37 min so you have to bear that in mind
very dramatic, shocking, and smartly-acted
½ February 14, 2018
Just as the story seemed easy to understand, it takes a sharp turn. The twist may or may not be easy to pick up, but undoubtably helps build the tension and high-rising ending to this masterpiece of thought and ideas.
February 1, 2018
A really nice story, but with limitations. Some are due to the passing of time so it is not the movie's fault. Some definitely are though: there are parts which are not believable or sloppily done. C'amon dude, you really didn't know it? Pfffff
January 25, 2018
Neil Jordan is a badass behind the camera and the Crying Game showcases his badassedness more so than any of his other films and that is saying a lot. The Crying Game is a corky, suspenseful, unpredictable noir with a midway twist that would make even De Palma blush. If you think you know all there is to know about the Crying Game, think again. There is a reason why The Crying Game has the cult following and respect that it does today. Simply put, it is just that damn good.
November 2, 2017
You just have to love the simplicity of the whole affair, twisty and turny as hell but still a brilliant genre-mystery.
November 2, 2017
I Will Become A Filmmaker When I Grow Up.
October 29, 2017
Blending different styles and genres is never easy and having more than one plot twists makes things even more difficult but it seems that The Crying Game pulls that off quite successfully.
September 30, 2017
1 Corinthians 6:9New Life Version (NLV)

The Body Is to Be Holy
9 Do you not know that sinful men will have no place in the holy nation of God? Do not be fooled. A person who does sex sins, or who worships false gods, or who is not faithful in marriage, or men who act like women, or people who do sex sins with their own sex, will have no place in the holy nation of God.

1 Corinthians 6:9King James Version (KJV)

9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
June 4, 2017
"Twist" was very overrated. Decent flick, but nothing spectacular
April 29, 2017
Overhyped movie but worth watching once maybe. I like Forest Whitaker as an actor but his role as a British soldier has to be one of the biggest miscasts in film history plus his english accent is brutal!
½ January 9, 2017
An intriguing dramatic piece, "The Crying Game" goes in an entirely different direction than you would expect, giving it plenty of edge.
½ December 8, 2016
I watched this twice...I didn't like it the second time no more than the first time. Idk what it is about it. I just don't like it
½ November 22, 2016
75%
Saw this on 20/11/16
Though it loses steam by the end, The Crying game has a couple of twists (although the twist that it is famous for is too obvious and predictable). It starts one way and goes out another way. Where it succeeds is that, it has a goon or a henchman as its protagonist, a character that would have definitely been just an extra in other films. Actors Stephen Rea and Jaye Davidson perform well in their roles.
August 28, 2016
It still holds up even if you know about the big twist. Its a complex thriller about the IRA, forbidden love, and all sorts of other nuances. The acting is phenomenal and the outcome very endearing, for an interesting twist on an old formula.
½ July 8, 2016
Slow but thoughtful.
June 10, 2016
A very shocking movie totally unexpected and twisted.

Rewatch review: Still amazing on a second watch, tight script and stellar presentation. All around a gripping and absorbing thriller highly recommended
½ May 29, 2016
I worked at Blockbuster Video when this movie came out,so the reveal was ruined for me many years ago (probably why I've waited so long to see it). Good believable story involving the IRA trying to force one of its members to be released and the resulting havoc this creates in the life of the guy who has to carry out the "or else" when he is not let go. Extremely well acted by Rea and Jaye Davidson.
May 27, 2016
Excellent film with that famous twist. An ira volunteer falls for the lover of a dead British soldier