The Da Vinci Code - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Da Vinci Code Reviews

½ September 13, 2017
The only positive aspects of this film are the cast and the score, everything else is seriously lacking. The flaws make for as long a list as the film itself is long (unnecessarily so), while also being boring, the script is bad with exposition galore, boring set pieces, incredibly awful lighting, bad pacing, lacks any semblance of fun and the only decent scene features Ian McKellan explaining some of the backstory. Ron Howard has done far better and I'm seriously struggling to think of a film that is simultaneously as boring and as long as this utter misfire of a film is.
½ September 6, 2017
Flip yes. I want to see this so bad. And I love Audrey Tautou.
September 3, 2017
Like so many freshman religious studies classes or suburban church services, the movie is dull, pedantic, and profoundly inane. The plot may revolve around the living bloodline of the historical Jesus, but nobody here-save McKellen, who chews the scenery and knows exactly the sort of movie this should be-shows any sign of life or creative spark.
½ July 28, 2017
A lot of people seem to either hate or love this movie. When I watched this in 2006, it was great, but the movie did not age well nor I liked it the second time in 2017 (since I have been to all actual locations that the movie takes).
Movie is definitely dull and I have to agree with the critics.
The antagonist monk and good/bad french cop Reno was unnecessary for someone who did not read the book. This is perhaps one of those movies where the book is better. BUT, I have to judge this as a movie, separate product.
There are definite problems with bad acting, confusing script and plot holes. A character says one thing she has no interest of and is engaged in a discussion in that same thing in the next scene like she is an expert. If you notice things like these, it blurs the line between what is a movie script and what is "something that might be a real scenario".
I do like the supporting cast, for sure. Very good actors here.
Overall...I would not recommend the movie if you are already familiar with the book, just wanted to re-visit this movie today.
July 26, 2017
Although "The Da Vinci Code" is incredibly long, it does do a decent job at bringing in different plot twists and interesting theories to keep things fresh and somewhat exciting throughout the movie. Tom Hanks (Dr. Robert Langdon) and Audrey Tautou (Sophie Neveu) had some pretty good chemistry, at some parts in the movie it just didn't really feel natural between them, as I felt they both had most of their scenes based around them as individuals, but for the most part they meshed well together and the scenes where they fit clues together and solve the mystery felt natural and worked well. The twists that this movie took were a bit of a risk, and sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. The fact that this movie wanted to take that many turns just kinda proves that besides those twists, the plot was a little bland, and needed that extra kick to give it a bit more life. However, as I said, sometimes it did work, and did actually end up making the story more interesting. As a whole, this movie was way too long, and although I actually enjoyed the plot unlike most people, I still think that the length and the random twists make this movie only worth watching if you're bored.
July 7, 2017
i think the book was much better
May 17, 2017
Book was better, but love Tom Hanks in it
March 1, 2017
gripping the whole way. Tom hanks is fantastic. Really interesting film.
March 1, 2017
good movie, it just depends on your beliefs..
February 21, 2017
Grade - C
It's certainly bloated and the story is a tad ridiculous, but nevertheless 'The Da Vinci Code' has its moments, and is greatly helped by good performances all round and a narrative that, no matter how absurd and overstretched, retained my interest throughout.
February 13, 2017
Very good movie. Read the book before I saw the movie so I'm a little partial. Tom Hanks is always good.
February 12, 2017
1993's Schindler's List Is My Fifth Favorite Film Of All Time.
½ February 11, 2017
The moviemaking quality is adequate. If not simply rushed, the story is overlong, pretty contrived, and doles out one twist too many. That aside, can you imagine the outcry against religious simpletons that would follow if a Christian movie used flimsy evidence and half-baked fiction to "prove" that Jesus was divine? So why does this seemingly get a pass from intellectuals? If you're a critic of movies like "God's Not Dead" (as I am), then you need to be a critic of this project even more.
February 7, 2017
I haven't read the book and after watching this I have no wish to. No doubt the book is far better than this film, but the subject matter didn't grip me at all. As it was I had a great deal of trouble watching this film to the end.
½ January 25, 2017
One if the best books I've read, was completely let down by the film.
January 3, 2017
It's good movie to watch
January 1, 2017
Famoso simbologista vai decifrando códigos para descobrir um assassinato... avaliar melhor quando rever o filme...
½ December 22, 2016
The Da Vinci Code wastes the talents of Tom Hanks and Ian McKellan in a tedious, pretentious, convoluted film bogged down by exposition and lacking an engaging plot or characters.
December 18, 2016
Good music, acting, storyllne and twists! A great start to the saga, but even an awesome stand alone film.
jamrcla
½ November 29, 2016
I've never read the books so I never really wanted to watch this film but 6 years after its release I watch it and found it entertaining, The story was brilliant and had some good twists in the right places, All the cast were great, My only problem was I found most of the story hard to follow and understand, I eventually understood but I still have a few questions that I could of done with being answered but I still enjoyed the film.