The Da Vinci Code - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Da Vinci Code Reviews

½ February 15, 2019
In the attempt of making the movie as deep as the book, it forgets to give the spark that made the novel a best seller, giving it more detail to the suspense and interrogation than the things that make you really ask yourself what´s hiding.

Yet is important to highlight the amazing soundtrack that this movie carries by itself, giving the precise detail to the action that is currently going in the screen, Hans Zimmer is a mastermind when talking to composition of songs, and this movie clearly shows that.

Overall this movie clearly wasn't as successful as the book, but giving the fact how they represent the things and how the tend to uncover a world of knowledge, it's a really risky movie that develop and makes you ask what you really know about with something that´s seen on a daily basis.
February 13, 2019
Great movie, Not as good as the book but the music does add gravitas.
January 6, 2019
I finally saw this and I was not impressed. Even if Mary Magdalene was the Holy Grail I doubt it would make that much difference over 2,000 years later. Shouldn't the Catholic Church be concentrating on the sexual abuse allegations? Who has time to make up a complex riddle before they bleed to death? He could have sought medical attention during that time. How could Da Vinci know what the Louvre would look like in 2006?
½ January 1, 2019
Great Writing: 2 Stars
Albeit a little slow at times and a little contrived, but a solid mystery!

Good Production: 1.5 Stars
With some of the worlds most beautiful locations and art filmed, you would expect magical cinematography. Nothing was terrible but nothing was particularly memorable.
December 31, 2018
starts out really good and then turns uneventful and boring
½ December 26, 2018
Boy, talk about a letdown. This film is a poster child for what hype and too much positive publicity can do to a film- The Da Vinci code isn't a bad movie but nor is it the second coming of Christ(no pun intended). When you boil away the hype and hysteria, all that remains is a pedestrian murder mystery that isn't sufficiently challenging or scandalous to raise anyone's hackles. It's preposterous, overlong, and saddled with a sloppy denouement that defines the term "anti-climax." The film's two big "surprises" are telegraphed early, and the ease with which they can be guessed (using the "conservation of characters" process) leeches the movie of a large measure of its suspense. Individual scenes are entertaining in their own right, but the production as a whole is a lumbering mess.
December 12, 2018
what I like about this movie is made me know christian history
November 5, 2018
Perhaps a better title for The Da Vinci Code might be Much Ado about Nothing. When you boil away the hype and hysteria, all that remains is a pedestrian murder mystery that isn't sufficiently challenging or scandalous to raise anyone's hackles. It's preposterous, overlong, and saddled with a sloppy denouement that defines the term "anti-climax." The film's two big "surprises" are telegraphed early, and the ease with which they can be guessed (using the "conservation of characters" process) leeches the movie of a large measure of its suspense. Individual scenes are entertaining in their own right, but the production as a whole is a lumbering mess. Still worth a watch indeed, but I wonder....is it really that good?
½ September 23, 2018
Does anyone else notice the problem with this film, at the time of the murder Robert Langdon is in front of a large crowd of people so there is no way he could have killed anyone despite what the police have to say.
August 14, 2018
It was a little bit hard to understand but it was good.
July 13, 2018
Ron Howard thrills with this religious mystery!

Fast paced adventure with violent action and even some thoughtful puzzle solving, The Da Vinci Code adapts Dan Brown's novel to the last word. Faithful in its adaptation, while Howard makes sure to take the questionable story with a serious tone. I found it helps the vibe of The Da Vinci Code as the material is well researched, but a stretch to believe, Howard instead focused on the journey as an exhilarating chase. It's really a quest for The Holy Grail. Darkened atmosphere ripe with murder and suspense, you never know what will happen next in The Da Vinci Code.

Excellent performances from the entire elevate the flawed premise to a new level of entertaining. Tom Hanks as the symbolism professor Dr. Robert Langdon is very fun. Hanks makes you believe even the most ridiculous clues and ideas that The Da Vinci Code desperately wants you to believe. Hanks keeps you invested as he is quite compelling as a leading man meets everyman. Similarly, Audrey Tautou is delightful as the mysterious Sophie Neveu. She exudes charm and intrigue. You cannot help but feel for her troubled character. I really like Tautou as an actress and wish she could have gotten more roles in her acting career.

Furthermore, I definitely enjoyed the various supporting cast members. Alfred Molina is perfect as the deeply corrupt Bishop Aringarosa. Similarly, Sir Ian McKellen is convincing as the knowledgeable and selfish Sir Leigh Teabing. Finally, I must mention the absolutely haunting and terrifying performance by Paul Bettany as the albino monk Silas. His every appearance is chilling to the core. He never feels over the top during The Da Vinci Code. He is a believable monster grounded in humble beginnings and devout spirituality. Bettany plays the self flagellating fanatic with a zealous passion. It is a wonderful performance.

Overall, The Da Vinci Code will turn away the religious and the skeptics alike. But if you are looking for a fun mystery with action and intrigue, look no further than The Da Vinci Code. It's really a respectful take on religious conspiracy theories.
½ July 11, 2018
Having read the book shortly after it originally was released, I went into this film knowing many of the different twists and locations. Despite this, I went in wanting to enjoy this more then I did. Tom Hanks is fine in his role as Robert Langdon, but not even he could save this film from the moratorium that is movies based on extremely successful books. The main problem I had with the adaptation is that it tried so hard to cram in exposition during lulls in the action and just succeeded in slowing down the narrative. This movie is still a fairly good representation of what the book brought with it. The severe religious undertones and of course the many revelations that the film puts forward about the history of the church, Jesus Christ, his lineage and secret societies are controversial of course but should not deter anybody from watching and even enjoying The Da Vinci Code.
June 28, 2018
If you're looking for a big budget blockbuster with a little more brains than usual, you really should check this one out. The cast, especially Tom Hanks, is excellent and all the art in this film is intriguing. The whole story is very intriguing actually, and while it sparked a lot of controversy, and is historically incorrect, you have to just remember than it's just fiction. And if you do, it may just become a good crime thriller. The only real problem with the flick is the length, almost 3h00 can be hard to sit threw. But overall, The Da Vinci Code is an admirable film. Recommended !!
June 23, 2018
A BIG DISAPPOINTMENT. But i bet you all knew this by now.
June 23, 2018
Jacques Saunire, the Louvre's curator, is pursued through the Grand Gallery by an albino Catholic monk named Silas (Paul Bettany), who demands the location of the Priory's "keystone" to find and destroy the Holy Grail. Saunire gives him a false lead and is murdered. When the police arrive, they find his body posed like Da Vinci's Vitruvian Man. The police captain, Bezu Fache (Jean Reno), sends his lieutenant, Jrme Collet, to summon American symbologist Robert Langdon (Tom Hanks), in the midst of signing autographs after one of his public talks, to examine Saunire's body. At the museum, Langdon is shown the body, and a secret message, readable only by blacklight, that contains an out-of-order Fibonacci sequence. Sophie Neveu (Audrey Tautou), a police cryptographer and Saunire's granddaughter, reveals to Langdon that Fache planted a tracker on him after finding the words "P.S. Find Robert Langdon" at the end of Saunire's secret message, leading Fache to believe Langdon murdered Saunire. The two get rid of the tracker, distracting the police, and sneak around the Louvre, finding more clues in Leonardo da Vinci's works, eventually leading to Langdon to deduce that Saunire was the grand master of the Priory of Sion...

The critics consensus states: "What makes Dan Brown's novel a best seller is evidently not present in this dull and bloated movie adaptation of The Da Vinci Code." The film was poorly received at the Cannes Film Festival, where it debuted. Michael Medved gave the film a negative review, citing it as "an attack on religion". Anthony Lane of The New Yorker addressed the concerns of Catholics in his film review, stating that the film "is self-evident, spirit-lowering tripe that could not conceivably cause a single member of the flock to turn aside from the faith." In his Movie Guide, Leonard Maltin called the film "a letdown in every respect." Director Howard noted that the overwhelmingly negative reviews were "frustrating" to him. Conversely, Roger Ebert of the Chicago Sun-Times (who had spoken very negatively of the novel) gave the film three out of four stars, stating "The movie works; it's involving, intriguing and constantly seems on the edge of startling revelations." Of the storyline, he also commented "Yes, the plot is absurd, but then most movie plots are absurd. That's what we pay to see." Lawrence Toppman of The Charlotte Observer, who also liked the film, gave it three and a half out of four stars and noted "unlike most Hollywood blockbusters, this one assumes audience members will be smart." Although many critics gave mixed to negative reviews of the film, critics praised the performances of McKellen as well as Bettany. On the "Worst Movies of 2006" episode of the television show Ebert & Roeper (January 13, 2007), guest critic Michael Phillips (sitting in for the recovering Roger Ebert) listed the film at No. 2. The film earned a Razzie Award nomination for Ron Howard as Worst Director, but lost to M. Night Shyamalan for Lady in the Water.

I havent red the novel, as I didnt feel it was my sort of story when it came out, but I do like the story of The Holy Graal and the layers of Opus Dei, the institution of the Roman Catholic Church. With this storyline and solid actors Tom Hanks, Audrey Tatou, Jean Reno, Paul Bettany
and Ian McKellen you would think this movie would present us something tangible and intriguing, but this is as well a Ron Howard movie. He has never had that movie magic in him creating films that stands out offering something more unique. Howard gives us average films, but nothing more. I reckon Spielberg wouldve been a better choice as a director in this case. The character development and storyline feels rushed and it feels like Howard cant wait to just do the action sequences. Hanks feels slightly miscast and he doesnt seem to feel comfortable in the role. The others are ok, but I dont think they are bringing their A-game and I do think thats partly Howards fault. I personally dont care about the correctness or if its historically accurate, its a movie, go with it. I like that the film ask questions concerning religion and the Roman Catholic Church, that is of interest and I do like the thought provoking messages in the film. "The Da Vinci Code" is an ok thriller, nothing more, nothing less.

Trivia: The film, like the book, was considered controversial. It was met with especially harsh criticism by the Roman Catholic Church for the accusation that it is behind a two-thousand-year-old cover-up concerning what the Holy Grail really is and the concept that Jesus Christ and Mary Magdalene were married and that the union produced a daughter, and for its treatment of the organizations Priory of Sion and Opus Dei. Many members urged the laity to boycott the film. In the book, Dan Brown states that the Priory of Sion and "...all descriptions of artwork, architecture, documents and secret rituals in this novel are accurate". The film grossed $224 million in its worldwide opening weekend and a total of $758 million worldwide, becoming the second-highest-grossing film of 2006 behind Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest. It was followed by two sequels, Angels & Demons (2009) and Inferno (2016).
½ May 13, 2018
Even though the story is not exactly superb, the suspense and graphics are fantastic!
½ April 25, 2018
Long,boring,twisted and unfascinating.
April 4, 2018
I loved this movie and found nothing dull about it.
April 2, 2018
"The Da Vinci Code" has a talented and charming cast that lives up to the expectations. It might not be as groundbreaking as the book material that this movie is based on, but this thriller is a satisfying cinematographic experience.