The Da Vinci Code - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Da Vinci Code Reviews

May 17, 2017
Book was better, but love Tom Hanks in it
March 1, 2017
gripping the whole way. Tom hanks is fantastic. Really interesting film.
March 1, 2017
good movie, it just depends on your beliefs..
February 21, 2017
Grade - C
It's certainly bloated and the story is a tad ridiculous, but nevertheless 'The Da Vinci Code' has its moments, and is greatly helped by good performances all round and a narrative that, no matter how absurd and overstretched, retained my interest throughout.
February 13, 2017
Very good movie. Read the book before I saw the movie so I'm a little partial. Tom Hanks is always good.
February 12, 2017
1993's Schindler's List Is My Fifth Favorite Film Of All Time.
½ February 11, 2017
The moviemaking quality is adequate. If not simply rushed, the story is overlong, pretty contrived, and doles out one twist too many. That aside, can you imagine the outcry against religious simpletons that would follow if a Christian movie used flimsy evidence and half-baked fiction to "prove" that Jesus was divine? So why does this seemingly get a pass from intellectuals? If you're a critic of movies like "God's Not Dead" (as I am), then you need to be a critic of this project even more.
February 7, 2017
I haven't read the book and after watching this I have no wish to. No doubt the book is far better than this film, but the subject matter didn't grip me at all. As it was I had a great deal of trouble watching this film to the end.
½ January 25, 2017
One if the best books I've read, was completely let down by the film.
January 3, 2017
It's good movie to watch
January 1, 2017
Famoso simbologista vai decifrando códigos para descobrir um assassinato... avaliar melhor quando rever o filme...
½ December 22, 2016
The Da Vinci Code wastes the talents of Tom Hanks and Ian McKellan in a tedious, pretentious, convoluted film bogged down by exposition and lacking an engaging plot or characters.
December 18, 2016
Good music, acting, storyllne and twists! A great start to the saga, but even an awesome stand alone film.
jamrcla
½ November 29, 2016
I've never read the books so I never really wanted to watch this film but 6 years after its release I watch it and found it entertaining, The story was brilliant and had some good twists in the right places, All the cast were great, My only problem was I found most of the story hard to follow and understand, I eventually understood but I still have a few questions that I could of done with being answered but I still enjoyed the film.
November 23, 2016
This is my go to movie! I love it!
November 23, 2016
While the subject matter kept me engaged in thought from beginning to end, the ridiculous plot, the jaw-dropping use of painful clichés, and the piss poor pay-off from the long build-up make The Da Vinci Code an eye-rolling film experience that should be forgotten by the sands of time.
½ November 12, 2016
Good film trying to stay faithful to the book, but lacks the passion that Dan Brown set the literary world talking about.
November 10, 2016
it was somewhat interesting
November 7, 2016
The Da Vinci Code is one of the most controversial books and films to come out in recent times. This is mostly because it denounces a key story in the Bible, and this drove a lot of religious nuts crazy. I personally never got the controversy. I was raised Catholic, but I don't mind when a story plays with history. Fiction does this all the time. Gladiator plays with history, but I still love the film. Indiana Jones does this too. I think people take it too seriously. Plus, the Bible itself is not meant to be taken as factual history anyway.
I just care if the film is good. Is it good? In my opinion, the film is okay. I don't know how accurate it is to the book as I've never read it. As a film on its own it has its ups and downs. The film looks great, and wonderfully directed by Ron Howard. The scenery is beautiful and the score greatly compliments the visuals to create a mysterious atmosphere.
The cast and acting is also on-point. Tom Hanks does a great job here, like with most films he's done. You also have a good performance by Ian McKellen, one of my favorite actors. I also think the story works in concept. It feels very much like an Indiana Jones adventure.
The main problem is that the film takes a while to get going. Honestly, the first half of the film is fairly boring. The first half is Tom Hanks's character, Robert Langdon, being falsely accused of a murder and him running from the police, which I've seen done better in many other action movies. It isn't until we meet Ian McKellon's character that the film really gets in gear. While I said the idea works in concept I feel like the journey itself was not that interesting through a lot of it. While the concept is like Indiana Jones, Da Vinci is a far cry from those films in execution (Raiders and Last Crusade at least).
Overall, Da Vinci Code was an okay timewaster. It had potential, but it could've been better. It was the film's beautiful visuals and strong cast that saved it from being an entirely forgettable movie that had a neat concept. If you like films like National Treasure you might like this.
November 2, 2016
The last note I took while watching this movie was simply: "OMG! JUST END ALREADY!" Hanks is confused (is he haplessly funny or deathly serious?), Howard is obnoxious (thematically blunt camera zooms), and Brown is interminably pleased with himself (characters spouting self-loving conspiracy revelations). Movies with this much historical jargon and technical babble shouldn't also be this dumb.