Dark City - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dark City Reviews

½ September 20, 2017
Cool mystery to jump start the plot; intrigue. Dark and stylish. Psychological scifi thriller. I've seen all these story ingredients before but never compiled into one movie like this, so it's hard to consider cliche'. Kind of a dark philosophical Matrix meets Truman Show. Too much schlock in the last 2 scenes though. The acting was fine/good, sometimes campy. But Jennifer Connelly can't act. She has no charisma. 6.5/10
July 13, 2017
Isn't it cool when you go back in time and watch a movie that has influenced one of your favorite current movies? That's dark city for you. It helped shaped a little bit of the matrix! Initially I was not keen on the movie. It's definitely outdated in terms of the effects and the sets. But after the first 30 minutes I became hooked. The main character has been set up as a killer and he's trying to defend himself and figure out what really happened. Turns out there are "strangers" who are basically aliens that inhabit human bodies and they are injecting different memories into everyone's brains at night. They are trying to figure out what makes us as humans unique. Instead of going for the heart, they are targeting the mind. So all in all, really cool! It's dark, it's mysterious, they fight using their minds, and it's kind of a glimpse at what it would be like to create the world. I'd watch it again!
July 13, 2017
It starts off confusing then followed by terrible editing, but thanks to its originality and atmosphere, "Dark City" can be considered as one of the most unique cinematic experiences of all time. It's a film you haven't seen before.
½ June 14, 2017
I watched this movie for the first time last night and was blown away with the special effects and the cinematography. It reminded me of a mix of Matrix and Metropolis, with the same kind of atmosphere and feel throughout the movie. This is a must-see in my opinion that will keep you watching and wanting more.
½ June 1, 2017
Aside from it being "noirish" and a few other small things that are mainly just their own unique twist on the style or thing, this movie is like nothing I've ever seen before. I think this will have re-watchability, but I definitely see myself watching this AT LEAST one more time!
June 1, 2017
Slicker than the Matrix, More coherent than City of Lost Children, and more cuts than Warp Tour, Dark City does things that need to be in cinema more often and it does them right. Noir, Science Fiction, and Mind-Fuckery to the Max, you name it. Dark City has it and more.
May 27, 2017
I loved this movie so much when it came out. It hasn't aged that well though.
May 17, 2017
Review (1~5)

#Content: Script 3 | Acting 3 | Cinematography 4 | Film Editing 3

#Visual: Costume Design 3 | Makeup & Hairstyling 3 | Scenic Design 4 | Lighting 4 | Visual Effects 4

#Sound: Score & Soundtracks 4 | Sound Editing & Mixing 3

#Overall (1~10): 6
April 26, 2017
Dark and creepy atmosphere. Great
April 20, 2017
There's no doubting the imagination of Alex Proyas. Though most of Dark City is difficult to follow and is more style than substance, once the kick of the film finally happens, you realize how inventive and inspirational this film is to the science fiction genre. When push comes to shove, Dark City ranks among the weirdest and most unique sci-fi features to date.

Knowing close to nothing going in was a wise choice, but I did find myself saying "what in the world is going on?" several times. The story follows a man named John Murdoch who finds himself alone in a bathtub with no memory of who he is or where he's been. Murdoch is being hunted by both law enforcement and a mysterious group of people, known as 'The Strangers' with unknown powers and abilities. In some ways, Dark City makes for a good compilation of films like The Matrix, Minority Report, Blade Runner, and even Metropolis. For much of the film Murdoch is the audience. We have no idea where we are, who's good, who's bad, and where this all ends up. But once Murdoch starts to understand 'The Strangers' agendas, the film starts to take off.

The supporting cast includes William Hurt, Jennifer Connelly, and Kiefer Sutherland. Similar to how I feel about the movie overall, I didn't really care for any of the characters in particular until you understand the context of how the film is being played out. Sutherland has the most to do, but his performance is diluted to a quick breathing nerdy doctor.

I think as a whole Dark City will play better on repeated viewings. Especially because it will become more and more apparent just how many films have taken from Dark City. Proyas has made a few interesting directing choices since this one, but none quite capture the scope or uniqueness of Dark City. In the long-running genre of science fiction, Proyas' breakout film is definitely among the better ones.

+Noir elements

+Mystery plays out nicely

+Gets better as it goes along

-Could have opened up with more context

8.7/10
April 2, 2017
Modern Sci-Fi Classic
February 9, 2017
One of the best science fiction films of the '90s, Dark City is an unforgettable experience.
½ February 7, 2017
John Murdoch (Sewell), is an amnesiac man who finds himself suspected of murder. Murdoch attempts to discover his true identity and clear his name while on the run from the police and a mysterious group known only as the "Strangers". This film and "The Matrix" are very similar in tone and theme, but I have a soft spot for this often overlooked film that came out a year before "The Matrix".
½ January 1, 2017
What a terrible movie! Seems like a 1950s B movie.
December 20, 2016
I was bored beyond believe in this Blade Runner wannabe, that was shot like a music video.
½ December 18, 2016
A movie ahead of it's time for 1998. Follows themes similar to that of more recent releases such as inception however more focused on mind control than dreams. Creepy with some suspense. I would recommend adding to your rainy days movie list.
½ November 18, 2016
Trippy ass movie before there was inception watched it at the theater's I was interested then but didn't quite get fully understand it. 20 years later it actually holds up.
November 5, 2016
I first saw this film in theatres, and this time watched the Director's Cut on Blu-ray. The visuals are absolutely outstanding and I liked the story. Roger Ebert chose it as the best film for the year it came out,. The cast including Kiefer Sutherland, William Hurt, Jennifer Connelly and Rufus Sewell are all good. This is an inventive and beautiful looking sci-fi films that will surely enthrall fans of the genre.
½ October 6, 2016
A supernatural thriller with a noir touch, "Dark City" plays with your mind as much as much as the bizarre Strangers play with the characters' memories, as well as the world around them.
½ October 1, 2016
Strange, experimental, and intelligent. Extremely stylized, a little ahead of its time as well as too artistic to have become a blockbuster, but a worthwhile watch.