Dark Water - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dark Water Reviews

½ November 22, 2016
It has lots of atmospheric potency, and benefits from an impassioned performance from Jennifer Connelly, but Dark Water is too dull and forgettable in its storytelling to reach the spine-tingling heights of The Ring and The Grudge.
½ September 4, 2016
They have a leak...WHO CARES?!
February 15, 2016
for some reason I liked this movie. To me it was done well and gave me the creeps had lots of spooks.
This movie is so creepy when alone, it'll want to make a person not move into old apartments but yet in some way to help those that are lost..... watch with an open mind, it gives creepy feelings, don't watch it with distractions! and watch with no lights! ;-)I dare you!
October 25, 2015
Dark Water was very tight and depressing drama thriller about a ghost inhabiting (never actually mentioned) apartment 9F and it's basically about a girl who drowned in the water mane of the building and she was never found, unlike other supernatural films, when the body is found and removed, the spirit didn't leave. This doesn't at all go into the direction of any other supernatural film. Everyone doesn't make it to the end. And it's just basically depressing, but very good.
August 28, 2015
I heard about this movie after looking into the Elisa Lam murder. If you know of the case it makes the movie interesting and at times a little eery from the similarities throughout the movie that mirror facts about the Elisa Lam murder. With all that high strangeness aside, it really wasn't that great of a movie and mostly boring, Jennifer Connelly wasn't that great and the most interesting character was Tim Roth and he doesn't even make an appearance until the middle of the movie.
½ August 15, 2015
Dark Water has to be the most predictable and the most forgettable horror movie I've seen in years. Jennifer Connelly dose a solid performance in the movie but that's really it.
½ August 13, 2015
Excellent thriller! wonderful cast from the sup't of the building, to the teacher, & attorney, janitor, husband, employer. Very good storyline, excellent acting. This will be one of my favorite thrillers now.
½ August 11, 2015
A bad remake of an overrated Japanese film.
½ July 21, 2015
Dark Water builds up a strong atmosphere but fails to scare. It occupies a space between psychological drama and horror, but never takes full advantage of either. [C+]
½ June 23, 2015
Dark Water is a substandard film. It is about a mother and daughter who hole up in a run-down apartment building. Jennifer Connelly and Ariel Gade give terrible performances. The screenplay is badly written. Walter Salles did a horrible directing this movie. I was not impressed with this motion picture.
June 23, 2015
Walter Salles has a brilliant visionary eye in Dark Water. The film has the perfect look of a gloomy horror movie a la The Ring. So why isn't it scary? Like, AT ALL? The Ring managed to be stylish and scary simultaneously. See that movie instead.
½ May 25, 2015
Dark Water has some atmospheric potency, but the setting is unfortunately too claustrophobic and stuffy to make room for sheer, skin-crawling terror.
½ March 30, 2015
Connelly tries hard, but is pulled down by cliche scares, cheap images and a messy screenplay.
½ February 14, 2015
A remake of Hideo Nakata's unique haunted house variation during the US J-Horror and Asian Horror remake craze, though this film is one of the better remakes.Jennifer Connelly plays a recently divorced mother with her young daughter moving into a low rent apartment. Things begin to get strange when mysterious drips and wet spots start to appear in the ceiling. To reveal more would spoil the story, but I will say that Connelly, who I really thing is one of the best actresses of her generation, gives such a sincere performance as a mother trying to protect her daughter, that to label this film merely a haunted house story is a huge disservice. Elegantly directed by Walter Salles (Motorcycle Diaries), smartly written by Rafael Yglesias (Fearless) and a hauntingly beautiful score composed by Angela Badalamenti (Blue Velvet) all add up to a classy production. This may not be a horror fan's horror film, but it's a thinking person's horror film, which I think is a fairly narrow band of the general public. And it's worth noting John C. Reilly's performance as a smiling but oily (verging on evil) apartment leasing manager. It's a small but quite memorable part of the film.
February 14, 2015
I like all spooky movies. Especially about ghosts and possessions. What can I say?
January 18, 2015
One of the worst movies I've ever seen
½ January 15, 2015
A very creepy movie with and ending that seems abrupt and a simplistic twist. 53/100
Robbanflix
January 2, 2015
This is very much the same as the japanese version and that one was alot better. But thats often the case with these remakes.