Days of Heaven - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Days of Heaven Reviews

October 5, 2016
Beautifully photographed
September 27, 2016
tries to be artsy. fails. would have been better without dialogue.
½ August 19, 2016
"Days of Heaven" is a powerful and emotional portrait of early 20th century working class.
½ July 5, 2016
Outstanding. My second favourite Malick film next to Badlands. I'm not sure anyone has ever been better at photographing fire. The only other of his films I have seen thus far is 'To the Wonder', but it's films like this that make me such a lover of cinema. I'm not a Richard Gere fan in the slightest (though I have always loved Brooke Adams), but it's roles like this that cement his reputation as a cinematic icon in my books. I didn't say 'actor' because I'm not really sure that's his strength--it's more a presence, such as Alain Delon in 'Le Samourai'.
May 17, 2016
One of the most visually stunning films I've ever seen. I didn't expect Malick to have topped his prior "Badlands" with this film, but "Days of Heaven" is so brilliant and memorable that it almost makes Badlands look like a minor piece.
April 22, 2016
Days of Heaven (1978) ????
Hard to put into words this movie's visual beauty. NÚstor Almendros won richly deserved Oscar for his almost overwhelmingly beautiful photography in eloquent story of two farm laborers, a man and his lover, whom he convinces her to marry their rich but dying boss so that they can have a claim to his fortune. Breathtaking to say the least, with many layered meanings and images, nothing short from a master visionary, Terrance Malick, in his finest film to date. Extraordinarily good on every level.
April 14, 2016
A feast for the eyes and ears.
March 12, 2016
Simply put, Terrence Malick directed the most beautifully shot romance melodrama of all time and here it is.
March 11, 2016
Caught up in the rapture of the brilliance..
March 10, 2016
1978's Days of Heaven was Terrence Malick's second feature, and last featue before he took an abrupt 20 year leave to teach Philosophy in France, and then came back smashing with The Thin Red Line.
However. Days of Heaven is a great film, right after he made Badlands which was also impeccable, the performances are great, Richard Gere as an up and coming star shines as the hot-tempered lover, and Brooke Adams is impeccable as the lover of both Bill and ''The Farmer''. The script is intelligent, but might be predictable, as i thought aswell, but it isnt, it keeps you guessing as of how the movie is going to flow, and how it is going to end.
Terrence malick's beautiful masterpiece has to be a must watch for true cinema lovers. Another malick masterpiece into his reduced filmography. Considered at that time an instant classic and a rare and beautiful film, still now absorbs that tittle with its infinite imagery and vision. Probably richard gere's best film alongside Primal Fear, Hachi, and the infoumasly loved Pretty Woman.
Days of Heaven is an achingly tragic love story, filmed in a strange yet appealing quasi-documentary style. A beautiful masterpiece composed of breathtaking cinematography, subtle acting, smart writing, and ingenious direction. Malick is known and revered for his cinematography, and elements of nature within his movies, but this is where it all began. His second movie, Days of Heaven is a visual feast. Stunning landscapes, minute images of nature and incredible use of light. Even 35 years later it cannot be faulted, cinematographically.

You could hang almost any shot of this movie on a wall and call it art.
February 17, 2016
A beautiful presentation of the panhandle's endless plains of grain and a solitary mansion dominating the landscape. Sadly the story falls apart at the end leaving you disappointed.
February 13, 2016
This is a great film. I never thought Richard Gere is a good actor, in fact, I think he is one of the most overrated actors in the industry. Even Tom Cruise is stronger. However, the cinematography alone in this film makes it a masterpiece of capturing the early farmers' struggles in early 20th century Texas. I don't think this film would stand up as great if it wasn't for the cinematography. Much like a Stanley Kubrick film, the pictures tell more of the story than the dialogue. Along with a genuine narration tying together the various scenes, there is little need for dialogue. At its core it is a believable story of desperation, love and jealousy.
February 8, 2016
Horrible movie. Every decision on dialogue and direction the writer/director made was wrong. Cinematography was great.
½ December 28, 2015
Gorgeous film. Dark and very moving.
November 12, 2015
An earlier entry from visual director Terrence Mallik that has been observed by many as his more commercial film but I still found it quite enjoyable.

The story of two drifters (man & woman) in depression era who land a job sacking wheat for a rich man in vast country. The lady then captures the attention of the rich man but is still in love with her drifter friend.

The visual sense to this film is extraordinary the strength of nearly every frame of this film is so commendable. It's stunning but also rather slow but I found at most times engaging.
November 11, 2015
Shorter and more concise in its narrative than his later films, this is Malick's most satisfying feature. Malick and his great cinematographer create moments and images of intimacy, quiet contemplation and biblical power. This is a visually rich and spare story of loss and humanity. There is a feeling of ephemerality here captured on a level that few films have met, and Malick seems to revel in. On a more abstract level, it is a melancholy, dreamy evocation of the intensity, mystery, and sadness that permeates existence, and these moods seem to be reflected in nature itself.
½ October 30, 2015
Wrongfully overlooked is this expansive, beautifully shot and well-designed piece about friendship, love and trust; capped with a fittingly bittersweet end.
[Original rating: 3 stars]
½ October 27, 2015
If you are not familiar with Terrence Malick I whole-heartedly recommend that you make the time. Days of Heaven is his sophomore film after Badlands. It tells a story similar to the story of Abraham and Sarah in the Bible. Bill and Abby, played by Richard Gere and Brooke Adams are two unmarried lovers who travel to a farm in search of work in the breadbasket in 1916. To remain together while on the job they pretend to be brother and sister which work fairly well until the owner of the farm, Sam Shepard, falls in love with Abby.
This melodrama is something that typically turns me off and it would have here were it not for Malick's ability, along with DPs Nestor Almendros and Haskell Wexler, to capture one of the most beautiful mid-west films I have ever watched. Every single shot gave something special and almost unique (which is troublesome when filming in a wheat field). I can hardly recommend Days of Heaven enough.
September 25, 2015
Ennio Morricone and NÚstor Almendros. Sometimes, a story doesn't matter to me. Every single shot is beautiful.