Days of Heaven - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Days of Heaven Reviews

½ June 19, 2017
Terrence Malick's last movie before a 20 year gap is his first formula-driven picture, which usually ditches straight narrative for visual poetry. Malick is one of my biggest inspirations, but seriously I would opt for Badlands or The Tree of Life any day. It's a solid movie, sure, but the acting is just wooden. It's more like watching a brilliantly organized patchwork of poems and paintings than your standard, thought-provoking, emotional, and affecting film.
½ June 17, 2017
Days of Heaven is an hour and a half long, but it feels much longer due to the plodding it does for much of the runtime. This aside, I really did enjoy the plot, and I found the film picked up enough to not feel completely bogged down. There is some really special shots that are iconic in this film, Malick knows how to shoot a film for sure. My biggest problem with the film is that the daughter character served absolutely no purpose to the film, and her presence was simply confusing to me. Combine this with the slower pacing, and the fact that the film isn't really my type in the first place, I'm surprised I liked it this much, and there is definitely some level of greatness this film achieves. For myself personally though, I probably won't watch it by myself again
June 15, 2017
Breathtaking. Watching it makes me feel alive.
May 28, 2017
I've never been so terrified of locusts in my life until watching this movie. The way Terrence shot the insects and the whole scene was so National Geographic. This movie is such a feast for the eyes. You can tell Terrence Malick was getting all kinds of inspiration from Barry Lyndon. I can see it in his shots.

While the movie was amazing, and I will definitely be watching it again, it felt too short of a movie. It felt like Terrence took a movie that was supposed to be 3 hours long, and condensed it to half of that.

Nonetheless, this movie was beautiful in every sense of the word.
May 18, 2017
5/5 cinematography. Story a bit minimalist for the large themes.
½ April 30, 2017
One of the most beautiful films I've ever seen. While the ending scene doesn't seem to be the most proper way to end it, everything else is near flawless. Terrence Malick has made a masterpiece in the relation to nature and human much like a lot of his work.
April 25, 2017
"Days of Heaven" is a powerful and emotional portrait of early 20th century working class.
March 12, 2017
This movie wants me to see more classics. Wow.
½ March 3, 2017
beautifully shot film plays like a textbook for cinematographers and film students, picture has faded in some prints though, additionally the pictures core drama of romantic betrayal focuses on a flawlessly attractive male protagonist, supposedly also an unskilled, hard living farm laborer with a violent streak, practically homeless etc. Philosophy academic and director Terrence Malick adds depth, drama and a sense of national history to the film.
½ December 19, 2016
Gorgeous, captivating, and Linda Manz is a real treat.

Second watching 19/12/16: Agree with the above.
½ October 25, 2016
Days Of Heaven, a.k.a., Wheat Fields: The Movie, is an absolutely gorgeous film, with stunning lighting, gigantic skies and countless scenes of authentically dressed extras milling about in the Texas countryside. Terrence Malick movies get plenty of praise for their visuals, but also receive a near-equal amount of exasperation for their unfocused narrations and air of pretention. This is very evident here, as a film that's only an hour and a half is made to feel twice that length with so much scenery, so much dull dialogue, and so much focus on large groups of people doing nothing of interest. As with his debut feature Badlands, we aren't allowed to learn about what the characters are feelings or what they want by hearing them interact with each other, but instead we get everything through an omniscient and increasingly irritating narration, which always feels to me like a cheap emotional shortcut. Aside from the visuals, there's nothing in Days Of Heaven that is worth the hype it constantly receives.
October 5, 2016
Beautifully photographed
September 27, 2016
tries to be artsy. fails. would have been better without dialogue.
½ July 5, 2016
Outstanding. My second favourite Malick film next to Badlands. I'm not sure anyone has ever been better at photographing fire. The only other of his films I have seen thus far is 'To the Wonder', but it's films like this that make me such a lover of cinema. I'm not a Richard Gere fan in the slightest (though I have always loved Brooke Adams), but it's roles like this that cement his reputation as a cinematic icon in my books. I didn't say 'actor' because I'm not really sure that's his strength--it's more a presence, such as Alain Delon in 'Le Samourai'.
May 17, 2016
One of the most visually stunning films I've ever seen. I didn't expect Malick to have topped his prior "Badlands" with this film, but "Days of Heaven" is so brilliant and memorable that it almost makes Badlands look like a minor piece.
April 22, 2016
Days of Heaven (1978) ????
Hard to put into words this movie's visual beauty. NÚstor Almendros won richly deserved Oscar for his almost overwhelmingly beautiful photography in eloquent story of two farm laborers, a man and his lover, whom he convinces her to marry their rich but dying boss so that they can have a claim to his fortune. Breathtaking to say the least, with many layered meanings and images, nothing short from a master visionary, Terrance Malick, in his finest film to date. Extraordinarily good on every level.
April 14, 2016
A feast for the eyes and ears.
March 12, 2016
Simply put, Terrence Malick directed the most beautifully shot romance melodrama of all time and here it is.
March 11, 2016
Caught up in the rapture of the brilliance..