Dead Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dead Man Reviews

July 15, 2016
Depp's Chaplin-esque comedic abilities are hilarious. Beautiful cinematography and rhythm, great humor, dialogue, characters, casting and story amid a moral undertone on the 'winning of the West'.
June 11, 2016
My favorite film. Hey, everyone has to have one and this one is mine. The black and white film is great to see and has good contrast between light and shadow. The story is interesting but even more so, the characters are a joy to see. The music, the settings, the old west feel, and it really does feel like it is happening in the old west and that the viewer has a window seat... a very close view.
May 31, 2016
Strange and unique, but not sure if its good. Johnny Depp plays meek accountant William Blake, who gets shafted out of a promised job, and ends up almost killed when he follows a lady of the night home. Then while the affected parties sends marshals and bounty hunters after Blake, he goes through a spiritual journey of sorts while meeting and shooting all sorts of deranged folks. The movie drags on in its third act, but its an interesting western for sure, even if it may be a bit too art house.
½ May 29, 2016
Dead Man is an undeniably strange movie, and sometimes it's hard to figure out what to make of it. Filmed in black-and-white with an eerie score by Neil Young, and using contemporary dialogue and mannerisms, Jarmusch's picture has a dream-like quality. It's filled with irony and subtle humor, but contains a serious message about the fragility and uncertainty of human existence. Blake, normally the mildest of people, discovers how easy it is to kill. In fact, he becomes wanted for a series of murders.

Johnny Depp has always been willing to take acting chances. From Edward Scissorhands to Ed Wood, Depp has consistently sought out challenges. With William Blake, he breathes life into another in his series of oddball personalities. Depp's Blake is lost and injured both physically and spiritually. Playing opposite the lead actor, Gary Farmer portrays the enigmatic Nobody with a caustic edge that makes him very unlike other Native American movie "sidekicks". The impressive list of actors with cameo appearances includes Robert Mitchum, John Hurt, Gabriel Byrne, Crispin Glover, and Alfred Molina.

Even if it accomplishes little else, Dead Man will almost certainly inspire thought and discussion. This isn't the kind of movie that can be digested easily or immediately. This provocative, puzzling movie will stay with you long after the twangy strains of Neil Young's end credit music have faded away.
½ May 28, 2016
Classic! Great film!
May 27, 2016
There's no other film like this. I didn't understand it the first time but I did feel it. Later I came to the conclusion that there's no need to understand it the way I'm comfortable with; it's something to dive into and to live with afterwards. Probably one of ten most important films for me.
½ March 27, 2016
Dead Man (1995) ? 1/2
Smarmy, overrated B&W Western saga tells stark tale of William Blake (Johnny Depp), a writer who embarks on a dangerous journey after killing Gabriel Byrne and fleeing from the law. Unusual, even quirky at times, defeated by deadening pacing, annoying music cues, low-key (even hostile) attitudes and gross out death scenes for the sake of being disgusting. Only virtues: Robert Mitchum's memorable cameo, sheer originality; otherwise, repellent, sickening, and boring. Evidently, this is revered by many film critics and film historians; I am not among them.
½ March 8, 2016
91%
Dead Man is a unique take on the age-old genre that inspired it, filled with pitch-black humor, subtle satire, and a wide variety of bleak tones.

V: 66%
½ March 3, 2016
75%
Saw this on 1/3/16
The surrealistic acid western starring Johnny Depp and ethnic Gary Farmer has the two leads in memorable characters that have great chemistry. This is enough even though the film doesn't mean much.
February 23, 2016
A quality, strangely post-modern Western. The Indian characterisation is a highlight, as is the black and white cinematography, especially while on the run in the wilderness. Those scenes are almost replays of Down By Law. The ironic ending is excellent, too! The whole movie has a wistful quality, which doesn't strike me as being especially ambitious, but Depp's portrayal is nevertheless compelling and engaging.
January 26, 2016
Stunningly film, especially the black and white cinematography, which just tips beyond beautiful into transcendent. Would've been 4.5 stars except for one huge mistake towards the end of the film.

Also, remember the days when Johnny Depp started in good movies? *sighs deeply*
January 6, 2016
Filmed in black and white this '95 acidic, spaghetti western is truly awesome. Absolutely loved it. This movie solidifies my statement that Jim Jarmusch is painfully underrated as a director.

This movie follows William Blake, a timid accountant from Cleveland, Ohio traveling west in hope to find a new job.

These supposed, "top critics" have silver, maybe even gold spoons shoved so far up their asses they cannot or will not admire the genius of Jarmusch.
Robert B.
September 30, 2015
Dead Man is not as cool as it wants to be but I have to admit I liked it. At times it is cheesy but at times the laid back, surreal vibe works. Also, I am a sucker for black-and-white photography. Better to not have high hopes when queueing this one, but rather sometime give it a try and perhaps be pleasantly surprised.
½ September 28, 2015
This could have easily been one of the best movies ever made. The whole movie is a real spectacle to watch, but unfortunately the end is not very satisfying.
September 22, 2015
Slow moving and a repetitive music track. But visually very interesting funny at times and very different
½ August 23, 2015
"Dead Man" is a mostly enjoyable, brilliantly dark western with excellent performances.
August 23, 2015
A surreal excursion into the west, this reminds us that Depp is an actor of some depth. Beautifully rendered in black & white with sterling and unforgettable performances by everyone involved (and wonderful late career appearance by Mitchum).
½ August 15, 2015
A very interesting film with some beautiful cinematography.
½ July 8, 2015
One of the best westerns that depicts the REAL WEST.