The Deep - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Deep Reviews

September 1, 2015
I loved it. The ocean, scuba, suspense, bisset, etc. I thot i remembered with who and where i saw this, but now that i see 1977, i'm not sure.
But, as a review below sz "based on Benchley (Jaws) best-seller, was one of the year's most popular films, despite negative reviews."
November 18, 2014
The Deep is a great movie. Ironically, I own the film that feels literally like a remake of this movie, and I saw it not too long ago, Into the Deep. Starting Jessica Alba & Paul Walker, that film was wildly panned, but fans are dead set that it's the remake of this film. And how could you not think that when literally some of the most major plot points that happen in this film happen in that film. Switch up some of the characters, and you essentially have what seems to be a shorter version of this film with much less plot. This film was very good for a lot of reasons, but it felt a bit dragged our in a few areas.
½ October 25, 2014
Who ever had said, criticized what, this movie keep us in the edge after watching it 34 years later ! Awesome thriller and the portraits by the entire crew - exceptional !
September 30, 2014
After the box office success of Jaws the works of author Peter Benchley became hot properties
The Island made in on to our screens in 1980 and I have a soft spot for that movie, but The Deep made in 1977 is a bit of a drag to be honest
The tale of drugs and treasure is ok but the story drags a lot at only Jacqueline Bissets assets and Robert Shaw's performance keep your interest.
The scenery is great too of course but director Peter Yates is presented with such a dull script that he has to resort to loads of underwater shots to keep the viewer awake
compared to Jaws this feels like a pale imitation with only one or two plus points along the way.
An interesting time filler then but that's about it.
September 1, 2014
what a movie......i have just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a great movie 2 watch.....its got a good cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie....i think that robert shaw (.R.I.P.), Jacqueline Bisset, nick nolte, louis gossett jr, eli wallach (.R.I.P.), play good roles/parts throughout this this movie is such a thrilling underwater adventure movie......i think that the director of this action/adventure/horror movie had done a great job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this this is such a thrilling movie 2 watch, i think that this is such a really well written/acted/directed movie 2 watch, it is so really well directed movie 2 watch......

Two actors from the Jaws films (which were also based on a novel by Peter Benchley) appeared in this film. Robert Shaw played shark hunter Quint in the first film while Louis Gossett, Jr. played SeaWorld park owner Calvin Bouchard in the third film.

Filming began in July 1976 with open water diving sequences near Peter Island, the location of the real shipwreck of the RMS Rhone in the British Virgin Islands. Robert Shaw was paid $650,000 plus a percentage of the profits; Bissett and Nolte were both paid $200,000 each.

its got a good soundtrack throughout this movie.....i think that this is such a thrilling underwater adventure movie 2 watch, it is so really well directed/written/acted movie 2 watch.,...its got good fight scenes throughout this movie......i think that this is such a powerful drama movie 2 watch, but it is such a brilliant movie 2 watch.....

The Deep was released on June 17, 1977 and was well received by the public, making it the ninth highest grossing film of 1977. Critics reviews, however, were largely mixed to negative. The film currently holds a 31% "Rotten" rating at the review aggregation website Rotten Tomatoes based on 13 reviews.

Vincent Canby of The New York Times gave the film a negative review, stating that "The story, as well as Peter Yates's direction of it, is juvenile without being in any attractive way innocent, but the underwater sequences are nice enough, alternately beautiful and chilling. The shore-based melodrama is as badly staged as any I've seen since Don Schain's The Abductors (1972), which is to remember incompetence of stunning degree."

Upon its release, the film was noted for its opening scene of Jacqueline Bisset swimming underwater while wearing only a thin, white T-shirt and bikini bottom. This helped make the film a box office success, leading producer Peter Guber to say, "That T-shirt made me a rich man."

man this is such a thrilling movie 2 watch, it is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch, its got a great cast throguhout this movie.,...its got good fight scenes throughout this movie.....its got good car chases throughout this this movie is such a cult classics movie 2 watch, it is such a really well written/acted/directed movie 2 watch it is such a thrilling underwater adventure movie 2 watch with a great cast throughout this movie......
July 31, 2014
first saw this at 9 years old liked it a lot. saw it 8 more times over last 35 years. it outperforms the remake into the blue, its grittier. can't believe overall rating.
June 30, 2014
Finally got the DVD from Downtown branch of LPL.
January 30, 2014
Aside from some nicely filmed underwater scenes, this tale of sunken treasure and narcotics is a dull, predictable affair.
½ November 23, 2013
The Deep fails to truly live up to its potential but I was impressed by the amount of the film that takes place underwater. The Deep was quite a box office success but I would wager that had much to do with the success of Jaws and good marketing. The film isn't bad... but it's no Jaws. Worth watching for an interesting underwater thriller with some pretty stellar miniature FX work.
½ July 21, 2013
Everything is right there to make a great movie... what happened. Robert Shaw is terrific in any role. When the big thrill in a movie is looking forward to seeing a girl in a wet T-shirt, a movie sinks fast.
July 12, 2013
It's unbelievably hard to take "The Deep" seriously. Unlike "Jaws," which it is often compared to, there is an underlying feeling of cash grab and sleaze in its midst, most likely thanks to most of the budget being spent on fantastic underwater sequences or Jacqueline Bisset's oh-so-tight wet T-shirt in the first few minutes of the film. Despite not being of the nicest quality, it isn't a bad way to spend two hours. Though "The Deep" isn't a great film no matter how you look at it, it remains to be entertaining throughout. I don't know if it's due to its neat special effects or '70s nostalgia, but nevertheless there is a lot of fun to be had here.
Gail (Bisset) and David (Nick Nolte) are a couple vacationing in Bermuda who just happen to stumble upon some hidden treasure when scuba diving; right off the bat, one can expect that something more dramatic will ensue. The twosome, like many movie couples, are a bit clueless, and all too quickly accept the help of Romer Treece (Robert Shaw), a local treasure hunter. As it turns out, the area where they found some of the treasure is actually the wrecking site of a sunken ship, which also holds a failed morphine shipment that's worth millions.
While the group is much more interested in the treasure than the morphine, they find a fiend in Henri Cloche (Louis Gossett), who wants to make some money off of the drugs as well as collect the treasure. A race to get the goods starts off, but it's quite a hazardous one.
"The Deep" barely lifts a finger when it comes to the filmography of Peter Yates, a director whose credits include "Bullitt," "The Hot Rock," and "Breaking Away." It's one of his least stylish and most little-brained ventures, but Yates has a talent when it comes to directing thrillers. Luckily most of what makes "The Deep" good is its action and adventure, 95% of which takes place under the sea. It's highly difficult to film with believability, but Yates manages to bring it up to par with James Bond caper "Thunderball."
The underwater scenes range from being beautiful and quite mysterious to decently frightening. When they're riddled with suspense, the high-point being the epic finale, "The Deep" turns into a great movie. When the drama is on dry land, however, it all gets a bit sudsy. It's the uneven balance that pulls the film down, but when it's good, it's really good.
"The Deep" isn't Oscar-caliber entertainment in the way that "Jaws" was, but it's an action movie that manages to make us a little bit sentimental while still thrilling us.
February 21, 2013
Extremely memorable. Damn Jacqueline Bisset was hot in this this!
December 1, 2012
Not as good as the book. Could have been way better.
½ November 1, 2012
Peter Benchley made a name for himself by writing Jaws. He continued the trend by writing The Deep. Then, he decided to step in and adapt that book for this cinematic adaptation.

The story follows a young couple on a romantic vacation in the Caribbean who stumble uon a sunken ship while scuba diving that could lead to untold riches...and immense danger.

The set up is rather typical for action/adventure/treasure hunt thrillers, but even then, it's pretty enjoyable. That last sentence mostly refers to the book. The movie on the other hand, is a dull mediocre disappointment, I'm not sure why either. Maybe Benchley just didn't care. It's obvious that he probably wasn't going to have this top Jaws, but still, he could have done a lot better.

The main thing is that the movie strips away a large amount of character development, condenses the story greatly, yet still has a run time of a little over 2 hours. The performances are okay, and there's a nice cast, including Robert Shaw, Eli Wallach, Nick Nolte, Jacqueline Bisset, and Louis Gossett Jr. but I really had a hard time buying Nolte in the lead, and he doesn't have much chemistry with Bisset. She looks great in a tight, wet , white bikini, though.

The film's pacing just seemed really off, and it would probably seem disorienting to those not familiar with the book, and those who've read it, like me, will just be mad at the sloppy adaptation. To the film's credit, some of the music is okay, and the cinematography is really good, and I did like the underwater sequences, but overall, this movie was kinda blah, and the cheesy ending was way too silly, so much so that I was almost considering hating on this even more.

I don't really recommend this, but if you want a treasure hunt movie, and don't mind if it's kinda bad, then sure, give this one a watch on a rainy day.
½ October 4, 2012
This movie came out after the movie "Jaws". It was based on a book by the same author and had a similar poster. They were hoping that people would go see a similar movie. But the reason everyone went to see the movie was because of a poster of Jacqueline Bisset in a wet t-shirt. She was hot but the wet t-shirt scenes were only in the first 10 minutes of the movie. The rest of the movie is an adventure/treasure hunt movie. It's OK but nothing special. The movie "Jaws" had people coming out of their seats in fear and screaming. I didn't go to the theater to see this movie. When I saw it on TV I didn't see anything that really scared me. The best part of the movie was the underwater scenes.
September 24, 2012
Jacqueline Bisset T-shirt scuba dive is the films saving grace!
½ September 14, 2012
Sunken treasure and voodoo and drugs and sharks and giant conger eels. Great fun!
September 10, 2012
Scuba diving, treasure, Jackie Bissett in a wet t-shirt....what's not to like? It's no Gone With The Wind, but The Deep is a solid escape with good special effects and fine performances.
½ September 2, 2012
some moments that drag, over all okay movie
½ August 1, 2012
the film strives for much more but the plodding pace never allows it to do so.