The Deep End - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Deep End Reviews

September 15, 2016
Truly ridiculous film. Just....so bad. No thinking person would make the ridiculous moves of the main character. The "bad guy" who's really not SO bad? Not buying that either. Waste of my time, though I did give up at about the halfway mark.
½ May 27, 2016
Great casting...and Queen Tilda.
½ April 9, 2016
There's 90 minutes of my life that I will never get back. Save yourself and don't waste your time on this one.
½ February 7, 2016
This is a very good film. Tilda Swinton is amazing as an ordinary woman under exceptional duress. It's a story about how far a mother will go to protect her homosexual 17 year old son. It's intelligent, gripping and moving at the same time.
February 5, 2016
suspense is weak. no real climax & the ending was also throw away.
½ January 22, 2016
Despite the riveting plot summary, the only things that rescue "The Deep End" from being bland are Tilda Swinton's strong performance as a terrified, desperate mother and a somewhat interesting music score. Otherwise, it's dime-a-dozen weekend afternoon TV fare.
December 5, 2015
one of the dumbest plot lines ever. The lead character does the most stupid things throughout the movie, including bonding with her blackmailer with no reason whatsoever. Don't bother unless you enjoy being frustrated for a solid 90 minutes.
August 10, 2015
Tilda Swinton is so talented. I enjoy every movie in which she acts.
½ May 27, 2014
tilda swinton's great as usual!
May 4, 2014
From the synopsis 'The Deep End' is not that great, but glad I trust my faith in RT rating; this gripping tales keep me on the edge and so nice to take a break from typical pompous A-type thriller movie and enjoy the story more.
April 18, 2014
3 stars just for the fact that Swinton plays an ordinary character.
March 6, 2014
I love Gorman Visnjic! Tulsa Swinton was amazing - identified with her characters crisis! As a mom. Plot was a grabber.
January 22, 2014
Deeply moving story of a mother who tries to save her family with great fortitude and strength, and a man whose slide into crime is halted by his recognition of her desperate devotion to saving her son from being stained by the death of a man who seduced him. Excellent performances by Tilda Swinton and Goran Visnjic.
August 10, 2013
The Deep End is a well-executed all around noir, one that features yet another powerhouse performance from Tilda Swinton. The story, revolving around a housewife caught in the midst of a blackmail scheme involving her son, is told in way that creates constant tension, being truly suspenseful. The end result is a film that is smart, engaging, well acted, and often compelling.
What catapults Deep End over typical noir films is, without question, Tilda Swinton. Swinton's acting range has long been lauded, and here she completely inhibits her character, conveying a powerful sense of desperation, while also employing a smart cunning. She is surrounded by other strong performances, the most impressive of which being Goran Visnijic, with whom she held a great deal of chemistry.
The script for Deep End is also smart. It gives us scenarios that are grounded in reality, characters with motivations and actions that we can identify with. We understand why they act the way they act, and are therefore invested in both the decisions they make, and the situations they find themselves in. This smart script is complemented by tight direction, which creates a magnificent atmospheric yet intense tone, in the vein of other great noir films, such as In the Bedroom.
While offering us the intrigue of a good noir film, Deep End never forgets to keep the emphasis on the characters and their plights. This emphasis on character dynamics serves the film well, and makes it an overall strong noir piece.
4/5 Stars
August 9, 2013
Don't remember it too well.
June 2, 2013
Swinton rocks in this remake of a twisted thriller--Swinton Soars, Script Sinks!!
½ May 22, 2013
Great acting by Tilda Swinton, engaging storyline, id recommend it.
½ October 29, 2012
Can be slow moving but yet it still always has something going on.
September 30, 2012
Tilda Swinton is sensational.
September 15, 2012
Tilda Swinton is awesome, as always, which is why I watched it. I thought the story was kind of ridiculous, however. I could have lived without watching this, but Goran Visnjic is hot, so I guess it wasn't so bad. I thought the actors deserved a better movie, perhaps one that involved Goran taking his shirt off instead.