Delirious - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Delirious Reviews

February 13, 2016
I saw this first when it came out in theatres. Not a great film by any means, but I'm a massive John Candy fan so it was worth re-watching for me. Can't recommend it though.
January 10, 2016
John Candy is endearing as ever. The rest of the movie is awful.
April 1, 2015
Candy usual well meaning dullard can't save a zero script.
November 29, 2014
A dreadfully unfunny John Candy strangely got involved with at the height of his fame in the early 90's.

It's labored & a frustrating film to watch it's just got nothing going for it.

Truly a disappointing film stick with Uncle Buck it's much better.
½ July 4, 2014
The late John Candy did PLENTY of heavy lifting in this high concept film comedy that went hard-on-the-heels of much more acclaimed soap comedy film Soapdish. He's a lonely, good-natured writer for a soap who somehow find himself stuck in the show he writes for, proceeding to control the actions of his surroundings. He's enamoured with a spoiled actress(Emma Samms) who ignores him, all while oblivious to the shy charms of an ingénue actress just starting on the show(Mariel Hemingway). If you can find it in your video store or on-line, and miss the late comedic actor's friendly, energetic presence, you might want to check this out.
½ April 10, 2014
One of the great forgotten Movies about Writers. I highly recommend it to all who enjoy writing as a hobby or as their day job.
December 12, 2013
For as great a comedian as John Candy was, it's really disappointing how few good leading roles he was given. SCTV was brilliant, "Uncle Buck" and "Planes, Trains and Automobiles" were good but not classics, and what's left are all pretty mediocre films and a series of supporting parts ranging to terrific ("Splash," "Vacation" or even "JFK") to a waste of his time ("Career Opportunities" or "Boris and Natasha"). Much like his roles in the equally terrible "Hot to Trot" or "Who's Harry Crumb?" John Candy is a whole lot better than this film. About this film in particular, Candy is a soap opera writer who finds himself living in his soap opera world after a blow to the head. It's not a terribly clever idea, but there were possibilities for decent comedy with the premiss, but this film feels much more like a weak sitcom. Candy is not the only actor who's talents were wasted in this film. You've got Mariel Hemingway, Emma Samms, Raymond Burr, Charles Rocket (who's another actor I thought never really go the parts he deserved, outside of his role as David Addison's brother on "Moonlighting"), David Rasche, Jerry Orbach, and uncredited appearances by Margot Kidder and Robert Wagner. With that cast, this film should have been a whole lot more fun and funny. However, it's the likability of the cast that keeps the film bearable, even if they don't not making you laugh.
½ October 18, 2013
John candy's humor is splendid. But with all the other terrible actors dawning on him like there trying to steal the show, really hurts my brain and feelings. Overall a weak film, with a great performance by Candy, like always.
March 30, 2013
Great concept and interesting to see a film directed by former Bond screenwriter Tom Mankiewicz, but I felt really sorry for John Candy when I saw this. He was a comedic genius who ended up playing in a lot of really bad films.
February 25, 2013
This was by far my least favourite John Candy movie, it just failed to make me laugh at any point! It does pain me to rate a Candy movie so lowly because I normally enjoy his movies but for me the general story was boring... Personally knowing a movie is all make believe and has no affect on the actual characters involved makes me less interested from the off-set... Unfortunately this is one to pass on!
February 22, 2013
This movie should get 6 stars!! It was hilarious.
January 22, 2013
I love this movie. When I get to Heaven, it better be like this.
January 12, 2013
Fun but cliche concept (creator get trapped inside his own work). in the end nothing sets this one apart from the "others".
January 2, 2013
John Candy ends up in a world of his own creation in Delirious. The film follows a writer for the daytime soap opera "Beyond Our Dreams," and through happenstance he ends up getting stuck in his own show. Co-staring Mariel Hemingway, Raymond Burr, and Robert Wagner, the film has a solid cast. However, it's Candy's charisma that carries the film and sets the tone. Still, the writing's rather smart and provides some good satire on soap operas while delivering over-the-top comedy that works really well. But as good as the humor is, it all sort fizzles out in the last act. Delirious has its problems, but it's also a lot of fun and is full of laughs.
December 31, 2012
A nice cameo from Ray Burr and a few moments from Candy really save this comedy from dropping totally into the abyss of the movie world.
November 9, 2012
Aside from Candy, the characters were annoying, lacked humor and was just annoying to watch. I couldn't wait for it to end.
August 11, 2012
A little clunky at times, but it contains a very warm performance by Candy and a lot of funny jokes particularly aimed at the screenwriters in the audience. Only a screenwriter could direct a film about the deep-rooted paranoia of being rewritten behind one's back.
½ May 27, 2012
Silly story where Candy gets stuck in a soap opera he's writing. It works better than it should.
May 8, 2012