Deliverance - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Deliverance Reviews

May 5, 2017
5 ud af 5 banjoer. Boormans rystende mesterværk holder stadig hundrede procent.
½ April 14, 2017
Overrated but enjoyable and endlessly disturbing.
March 29, 2017
Honestly this movie kinda blows. But I see why it was considered great. It is no longer great. It now blows.
March 26, 2017
A gripping story about death and survival on a wild river. Wish they would make these types movies again. Love the ending. Boorman creates serious tension.
February 18, 2017
This is man unsettling film to say the least, but it's is also a well made action-thriller. Burt Reynolds is great in this and Jon Voight is good as well. Director John Boorman did an excellent job capturing the environment in this and really making it all seem authentic. A classic action/adventure film for sure!
February 17, 2017
10 out of 10:

Intense, terrifying, and well acted, Deliverance stands as one of the most classic thrillers.
February 6, 2017
Awesome banjo playing at the start but the rest of the movie drags
½ December 26, 2016
The tone of John Boorman's acclaimed drama is extraordinary: at once elegiac and gently satirical while ratcheting up the very real desperation of the quartet of middle-aged city types whose river trip is soon ambushed by the hicks they've been too quick to patronise. With a notable soundtrack of duelling banjos and woodland birds, this still ranks - along with Point Blank and Hope and Glory - as Boorman's masterpiece. A poem, a thriller, an existential meditation - unique.
½ December 21, 2016
Not much happens, one dude dies while others survive and get away from city. Engaging.
November 27, 2016
Don't get it. I thought it was rubbish, no real story very slow and not worth watching. I respect it's old but that's no excuse in my eyes
October 24, 2016
I don't say this very often, but this film was ridiculously boring and highly overrated. I get that it is trying to make a statement about the nature of man, our primitive instincts, and how civilized men can be cruel and violent in a matter of seconds, but I don't think it works at all. The movie is full of narrative flaws and obvious technical mistakes, and because the characters were so bland, I was never engaged in the story. There are a few very effective scenes that truly disgust me, but for the most part I was just bored. It's a film in which 4 men go on a canoe trip, and some messed up stuff happens along the way. That's pretty much the summary of "Deliverance". A landmark film? I couldn't disagree more.
October 21, 2016
"Deliverance" is a serviceable and, during it's time, shocking outdoors survival thriller with a modern man vs. human instinct message that's seemingly far more contrived and shallow than the hundreds of feet deep I was told it is. And, when it comes to making mature decisions, I think the protagonists of "Deliverance" have a thing or two to learn from the kids of "Mean Creek."
October 17, 2016
Great cast with a seemingly mundane situation that turns out to be a nightmare. Great character study.
October 9, 2016
I don't think there has ever been a movie that is remembered for two such bizarre things; a brutal rape scene and a scene involving dueling banjos. But it does have a pretty unique and interesting concept behind it that often gets over looked: what if something bad happens to you, you take a brutal revenge, but the person you direct your furry at may not be the person who wronged you? And because of the violent rape scene this aspect is almost always overlooked now a days. And that is a shame, because the base idea itself is an interesting one and is worth a much more in-depth look at, maybe in a different movie.
September 25, 2016
Finally watching this film 42 years after its release, which is a little more than a lifetime for me, I can easily say that this classic lives up to its reputation. Very intense drama with excellent cinematography and action scenes. Really well-filmed and acted. It was great to see Voight, Reynolds, Beatty and Cox in their prime (they would have to be for this kind of film with physically demanding scenes). That kind of film work made it feel very real and added to the intensity of the story.
September 22, 2016
thoroughly entertaining, backwoods mayhem
½ September 19, 2016
Deliverance was not at all what I was expecting. I was aware of the most famous and disturbing scene of the film, but I never suspected that was the harshest part of the whole thing. I thought that was the start of the terrorism that would be rained down on the main characters throughout this film, but instead it's a psychological thriller. The movie isn't about "what are we going to do" instead it's about "what have we done." That's not to say that the film was less thrilling than I expected, because fear and regret can be just as terrifying. It had me on edge through the rest of the film because I kept wondering what would happen to the protagonists next, and are they even protagonists any more. I was hoping there would be another significant confrontation in the film (perhaps it's rooted in my innate desire to see a proper resolution to every story) but the movie had other ideas about how it would wrap things up.

I was bit surprised, because I thought Deliverance was a big Burt Reynolds starring role, but the real lead of the film was Jon Voight. I was glad that was the case, though, because Voight had more complexity to his character, while Reynolds and the other two leads were a bit one-dimensional. Perhaps the most impressive aspect of this film is how they used the actors themselves steering through the rapids. There were probably a few shots where stunt doubles were used, but by and large it was clearly the actors themselves wielding the paddles. This kind of authenticity and realism is so rare nowadays that it's nice to see they committed to it so completely back then. Another interesting aspect of the film was how it used simple banjo music to create an unsettling atmosphere. Dueling Banjos is such a fun and cheerful song, and it feels that way at the beginning, yet somehow as the movie goes on there's an ominous feel to that same tune. Deliverance is the kind of movie that I can say I'm glad I saw once, but I never need to see it again.
September 18, 2016
"Amargo Pesadelo" parece ser simples, mas é uma alegoria de vigor incrível.
½ September 7, 2016
A canoe trip turns deadly when four weekend warriors encounter a couple sadistic mountain men in this tense thriller.
September 2, 2016
Another classic I hadn't seen, and which I have been very satisfied by.