Deliverance - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Deliverance Reviews

September 17, 2017
great banjo playing scene. the rest of it is just ok, kind of awkward film about homosexual hillbilles
September 4, 2017
Greeeaat movie made me wanna be a kayak guy
August 8, 2017
A powerful film, but not an easy one to watch.
July 26, 2017
A disturbing, shocking film that has a stellar ensemble, careful direction, and one of the all time most disturbing scenes in cinema history to date, Deliverance is a classic that showed the dark side of nature and it's retribution for the sins man has done towards it, making it one of the deepest, darkest, and most controversial films ever put to cinema.
½ July 25, 2017
A darkly-disturbing and breathtakingly-beautiful film that transcends the cliches it has come to represent. Seductive, remorseless, compelling, and better with each viewing.
July 23, 2017
A first class film with complicated thought provoking themes. The dueling banjos is classic.
June 27, 2017
To today's standard, it's pretty dull.

A camping trip gone bad. And that's it. There might be an overall theme or some hidden ones, but overall, it's a camping trip gone bad.

It's also pretty predictable in major parts.
June 7, 2017
Here's an example of a film that's greatness seems to transcend it's own bad ideas. Seen as a statement about the importance of survival and meeting challenges in being a man, it's really not very good, and doesn't really manage to deal with these ideas in the way that a film like "Straw Dogs" does. Reynolds's character is sort of the film's mouthpiece and he's frankly a bit of an idiot. But viewed as an action film, it's incredible ... one of the best ever made. It's a finely tuned machine with almost no spare parts and features some truly incredible cinematography from Vilmos Zsigmond and at least 5 incredible performances.
May 5, 2017
5 ud af 5 banjoer. Boormans rystende mesterværk holder stadig hundrede procent.
½ April 14, 2017
Overrated but enjoyable and endlessly disturbing.
March 29, 2017
Honestly this movie kinda blows. But I see why it was considered great. It is no longer great. It now blows.
March 26, 2017
A gripping story about death and survival on a wild river. Wish they would make these types movies again. Love the ending. Boorman creates serious tension.
February 18, 2017
This is man unsettling film to say the least, but it's is also a well made action-thriller. Burt Reynolds is great in this and Jon Voight is good as well. Director John Boorman did an excellent job capturing the environment in this and really making it all seem authentic. A classic action/adventure film for sure!
February 17, 2017
10 out of 10:

Intense, terrifying, and well acted, Deliverance stands as one of the most classic thrillers.
February 6, 2017
Awesome banjo playing at the start but the rest of the movie drags
½ December 26, 2016
The tone of John Boorman's acclaimed drama is extraordinary: at once elegiac and gently satirical while ratcheting up the very real desperation of the quartet of middle-aged city types whose river trip is soon ambushed by the hicks they've been too quick to patronise. With a notable soundtrack of duelling banjos and woodland birds, this still ranks - along with Point Blank and Hope and Glory - as Boorman's masterpiece. A poem, a thriller, an existential meditation - unique.
½ December 21, 2016
Not much happens, one dude dies while others survive and get away from city. Engaging.
November 27, 2016
Don't get it. I thought it was rubbish, no real story very slow and not worth watching. I respect it's old but that's no excuse in my eyes
October 24, 2016
I don't say this very often, but this film was ridiculously boring and highly overrated. I get that it is trying to make a statement about the nature of man, our primitive instincts, and how civilized men can be cruel and violent in a matter of seconds, but I don't think it works at all. The movie is full of narrative flaws and obvious technical mistakes, and because the characters were so bland, I was never engaged in the story. There are a few very effective scenes that truly disgust me, but for the most part I was just bored. It's a film in which 4 men go on a canoe trip, and some messed up stuff happens along the way. That's pretty much the summary of "Deliverance". A landmark film? I couldn't disagree more.
October 21, 2016
"Deliverance" is a serviceable and, during it's time, shocking outdoors survival thriller with a modern man vs. human instinct message that's seemingly far more contrived and shallow than the hundreds of feet deep I was told it is. And, when it comes to making mature decisions, I think the protagonists of "Deliverance" have a thing or two to learn from the kids of "Mean Creek."