Deliverance - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Deliverance Reviews

March 24, 2018
A poorly executed and edited thriller, thinking too little about the thematic potential of the film's material and more about shock value. But what saves the movie from total mediocrity are the images Boorman creates, some of them deserving places with the most utterly unsettling of all time.
February 26, 2018
Before getting into this movie, I thought it would just be a simple survival thriller, full of guts and gore and grisly murders. But actually, it relies much more on the evil that man can produce, as well as the degradation of the human mind, all while studying human nature, and also aims to be more of a crime thriller. And it's an unsettling one too, with an unforgettable performance by Burt Reynolds, Deliverance is a classic film, I can't believe that I didn't stumble upon this film before. Recommended !!
February 17, 2018
A first class film with complicated thought provoking themes. The dueling banjos is classic. 1001 movies to see before you die.
November 11, 2017
this has the best squeal like a pig scene of any movie
November 9, 2017
The monotony of this movie is probably its most disturbing aspect. And I'm not being salty, I just mean like all of these awful things happen and everybody just has to deal with it as they come-there's no pause for thoughtful reflection or mourning. Like, A guy gets raped and he just picks up and moves on because there's no time to do anything otherwise. In a lot of ways there's no real build other than the rapids, and even those seem tame in comparison to the experience these poor dudes have to go through.

The pacing is strange, it feels like we enter into the movie too late and leave it too soon. I would have liked to have gotten to know the characters a bit better. But in general I found this a refreshing watch - a tempest in a teacup. I can't tell if it says a lot about movies or a lot about me personally when I find movies that focus on one or two murders as life changing events a refreshing topic for once.

Ps- Did Drew just kill himself?? That's sad. Also now that I've seen the rape scene it disturbs me how often it gets quoted as funny. It's really creepy.
½ November 7, 2017
In John Boorman's adaptation of James Dickey's novel of the same name, the brutal rape of civilization is viscerally depicted in an adventure horror about four urbanites duelling barbarism in the wilderness of bleak beauty and stark imminence.
October 13, 2017
Boring, banjo, boring, boring, boring, rape, boring, boring, abrupt uncomfortable ending.
Really not sure what all the hype is about. There was nothing good about this movie despite the great cast and interesting premise.
September 4, 2017
Greeeaat movie made me wanna be a kayak guy
August 8, 2017
A powerful film, but not an easy one to watch.
July 26, 2017
A disturbing, shocking film that has a stellar ensemble, careful direction, and one of the all time most disturbing scenes in cinema history to date, Deliverance is a classic that showed the dark side of nature and it's retribution for the sins man has done towards it, making it one of the deepest, darkest, and most controversial films ever put to cinema.
½ July 25, 2017
A darkly-disturbing and breathtakingly-beautiful film that transcends the cliches it has come to represent. Seductive, remorseless, compelling, and better with each viewing.
June 27, 2017
To today's standard, it's pretty dull.

A camping trip gone bad. And that's it. There might be an overall theme or some hidden ones, but overall, it's a camping trip gone bad.

It's also pretty predictable in major parts.
June 7, 2017
Here's an example of a film that's greatness seems to transcend it's own bad ideas. Seen as a statement about the importance of survival and meeting challenges in being a man, it's really not very good, and doesn't really manage to deal with these ideas in the way that a film like "Straw Dogs" does. Reynolds's character is sort of the film's mouthpiece and he's frankly a bit of an idiot. But viewed as an action film, it's incredible ... one of the best ever made. It's a finely tuned machine with almost no spare parts and features some truly incredible cinematography from Vilmos Zsigmond and at least 5 incredible performances.
May 5, 2017
5 ud af 5 banjoer. Boormans rystende mesterværk holder stadig hundrede procent.
March 29, 2017
Honestly this movie kinda blows. But I see why it was considered great. It is no longer great. It now blows.
March 26, 2017
A gripping story about death and survival on a wild river. Wish they would make these types movies again. Love the ending. Boorman creates serious tension.
February 18, 2017
This is man unsettling film to say the least, but it's is also a well made action-thriller. Burt Reynolds is great in this and Jon Voight is good as well. Director John Boorman did an excellent job capturing the environment in this and really making it all seem authentic. A classic action/adventure film for sure!
February 17, 2017
10 out of 10:

Intense, terrifying, and well acted, Deliverance stands as one of the most classic thrillers.
February 6, 2017
Awesome banjo playing at the start but the rest of the movie drags
½ December 26, 2016
The tone of John Boorman's acclaimed drama is extraordinary: at once elegiac and gently satirical while ratcheting up the very real desperation of the quartet of middle-aged city types whose river trip is soon ambushed by the hicks they've been too quick to patronise. With a notable soundtrack of duelling banjos and woodland birds, this still ranks - along with Point Blank and Hope and Glory - as Boorman's masterpiece. A poem, a thriller, an existential meditation - unique.