Detroit - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Detroit Reviews

July 21, 2018
My heart hurts after watching this movie, but definitely a must see movie.
July 1, 2018
Detroit shows us a gruesome and shocking part of American history, which is even more powerful considering racial injustice and violence in America is still a problem today. This movie is definitely a captivating thrill, with good cinematography, as well as real archive footage from the events, which I found innovative, the late 1960s settings are cool and Will Poulter's intense performance, along with Anthony Mackie's just takes the show. Overall, I was astonished with this movie and it's the best period drama I've seen so far, it stays very faithful to the true facts. Recommended !!
½ June 14, 2018
My biggest gripe about "Detroit" is that the screenplay fails to fully develop its four characters featured on the movie poster. Instead the intersection of Melvin Dismukes (John Boyega), Greene (Anthony Mackie), Larry Reed (Algee Smith) and Philip Krauss (Will Poulter) occurs with little background information to flesh out any of the characters. Despite this, John Boyega turns in a solid performance, displaying flashes of Sidney Poitier (think Virgil Tibbs from "In the Heat of the Night") and Denzel Washington. Will Poulter is convincing as the dastardly horrific, torturous police officer Philip Krauss.
June 1, 2018
Director Bigelow again proves to be a master of the realistic depiction of recent historic events with this drama about the Detroit riots of 1967 and racist police brutality that night. While the film takes its time to set the scene and introduce the characters, it's interesting right from the start. Once the situation at the motel gets dire, camera work, editing and the outstanding acting take you right there, taking no prisoners in those incredibly uncomfortable and enthralling 90 minutes. The aftermath will make you just angry, but it's important nonetheless. Just like the realization that this film's events feels oddly current, even though they aren't.
May 30, 2018
Overlong and somehow disconnected with the audiences, Detroit is a gut-wrenching and bold take on one of the darkest racially-loaded moments of the US contemporary history. Kathryn Bigelow's period drama is raw, brutal and thought-provoking while it also feels so contemporary despite its "documentary touch.
The story of what happened in a motel in Detroit during the 1967 riots has been one of the most shocking examples of institutional racism so sitting in the director's chair to a make a movie out of it is nothing but an extremely challenging task. Unfortunately, the first half of the movie seems quite disconnects as it takes too long to set up the social, economic and racial atmosphere of these tumultuous years. Yet, once the background is set and everyone finds himself in the motel, the story becomes a gripping and sometimes even violently disgusting depiction of events which enraged a nation. With a trembling, hand-held camera, director Kathryn Bigelow does an outstanding job in the second half of the movie. The most shocking part of it is that many may actually relate some these moments with the present environment.
If we delve deeper in the cinematographic quality of Detroit, it should be mentioned that a huge role for the movie's grim and tensed atmosphere is to be attributed to the flawless cast. Special attention should be paid to Will Poulter's manic and violent acting, which can totally give the shivers to the audience.
In the end, you will be left shaken with the story's final so you will most certainly be googling around for further information. In conclusion, Detroit succeeds to provoke and to shock, but it will not be wrong if stated that the movie could have been a bit "tighter" and more connected to the audience in the first part of it. Still a delivery worth-seeing.
½ May 20, 2018
The story is compelling, scary, historical. It depicts very well the state of mind of the US. Violence is their way. They did not change much. Better than Alien, because true.
May 19, 2018
Excellent acting, poor story. This may as well have just been a documentary.
½ May 18, 2018
Detroit was an unexpected gem! I was gripped from the get go, on the edge of my seat!!!
May 5, 2018
Constant cigarette smoking detracts from the plot and shows the continual influence the tobacco industry has in our movies.
½ May 1, 2018
Evocative of the period - and yet topical at the same time - Detroit is anchored by three impressive lead performances and a story depicting injustices that will stir real anger in the viewer.
½ April 30, 2018
I wasn't there in 1967. I can't tell you with certainty what happened that night in the Algiers Motel. But neither can Kathryn Bigelow, who once again has taken a few people's questionable narratives and sensationalized them into a "fact-based drama" in which each character might as well come with a wristband that identifies them as "good guy" or "bad guy."
½ April 29, 2018
Boring, and stupid!!! How could Juliette Binoche make a film like this.
April 22, 2018
John Boyega and Will Poulter are both unforgettable.
April 13, 2018
One of the greatest true story movie
½ April 8, 2018
Os policiais vão cumprir um mandado e acaba dando errado e coloca a população em revolta que acabam quebrando e saqueando tudo... porém em determinado momento os policiais acreditavam que estavam sendo atacados e invadem um casa onde torturam e matam diversos inocentes... ao final vão a julgamento e acabam absolvidos por um juri racista...
½ April 1, 2018
This movie was so terribly biased in favor of white people it made me sick. From the start it shows the sympathetic white man up against the "crazy blacks" , without any attempt at properly depicting the reasons for the riots.
March 30, 2018
Kathryn Bigelow is a ferocious filmmaker who gets powerhouse performances from her actors (often newcomers) and photographs them so cinematically it is palpable. Detroit is very much a Kathryn Bigelow film. I was blown away by how much I not only enjoyed but respected Detroit, which I thought was going to be one of the most manipulative Oscar bait movies of the year. The first act of this 2 1/2 hour film is literally flawless. An American masterpiece, hands down. The mood is explosive, the acting is as real as it gets, and the direction is straight up raw. It took me a good 20 minutes to adjust my eyes, that's how visually aggressive this film is and I mean that in the best possible sense. I also jumped numerous times while watching, that's how emotionally disturbing this film is, and again, I mean that in the best sense. Detroit does an excellent job fleshing out characters including the city itself which is also a character. As for the negative aspects of this film, I will admit the specific historical event Detroit revolves around did leave a little to be desired from a moviegoer standpoint. It is the only part of the film that feels repetitive and gratuitous, especially in its violence, but that is no one's fault besides the assholes who carried out this heinous atrocity because it is history. These vile acts actually transpired and I believe the way in which they transpired was depicted accurately and respectfully onscreen, even if the end result tested my patience some. Fortunately, act three, while slightly drawn-out and cliche, helps Detroit find its way back to cinematic excellence and finish strong with a beautiful ending that, like the film itself, is designed to touch hearts, not snag awards. Also, Mr. James Cameron, if you can take a break from setting box-office records and winning Oscars, sit down and give your ex's film a watch... You may learn a thing or two about filmmaking.
March 24, 2018
My decision to see this film was heavily based on the review on rotten tomatoes. I have a strong feeling that many of these positive reviews were given out of fear of being labeled racist. The story felt disjointed with no real conclusion. The only positive thing I have to say about this is the acting felt real and the production value is high.
½ March 23, 2018
complete B.S propaganda
½ March 19, 2018
A very difficult film to watch but a film that deserved to be made and watched by a large audience. The brutal scenes are very believable and the ending is a gut punch.
A very well made and acted film.
John Boyega and Will Poulter are both excellent.