Detroit - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Detroit Reviews

February 17, 2018
A stunning, shocking retelling of events in Detroit 1967 of police brutality against the mostly black occupants of the Algiers hotel and subsequent court case that overshadows the later pivotal and widely publicised Rodney King beatings by the LAPD three decades later. Director Kathryn Bigelow reinforces the telling with a disciplined visceral realism not common to mainstream films, and even surpasses her Oscar winning film Hurt Locker in impact and relevance. Everyone should see this once, no one will want to see it twice. *****
February 17, 2018
This movie is a must-see. It's a great portrayal of the race issues as they happened and provides good insight into what drives some of the problems we have today.

The acting is great, it's written well, and the cinematography is powerful.
February 13, 2018
Very slow movie but good!
February 13, 2018
One of the worst movies I have ever seen. I cant believe people are still riding this racist train. I liked the actors they did a good job, but you can only victimize people so much. The past is the past so get over it.
February 11, 2018
Movie night with Iris.

Some amazing performances, and a masterpiece of claustrophobic terror. Social history and docu-drama dominates the first hour. Then Poulter takes over in a truly horrifying standoff at the Algiers Motel. Poulter deserves all the plaudits, but Boyega in a silent role is no less powerful.
February 11, 2018
Movie night with Iris.

Some amazing performances, and a masterpiece of claustrophobic terror. Social history and docu-drama dominates the first hour. Then Poulter takes over in a truly horrifying standoff at the Algiers Motel. Pouter deserves all the plaudits, but Boyega in a silent role is no less powerful.
½ February 10, 2018
142 minutes to tell that being african-american in the 60s (or any other decade in USA) was bad is too long. The plot drags on and on with the same tropes without advancing it in the least, the story could take at most 60 minutes, the rest is filler. Gut wrenching social injustice should have a better movie.
February 6, 2018
Don't know if it is my recent mood, but just not clicking with the movies lately. This was yet another tale of real-life American injustice and racist stuff, albeit from 50 years ago. I have become desensitized to that stuff. It was too long and draggy with the blow-by-blow, and it challenged credulity with some turns. 4.4 out of 10
February 2, 2018
While it is tense in certain scenes and well-directed, Detroit tries to make the audience empathize with the victims of the event, but it is extremely hard to root for unlikeable characters filled with relentless stupidity.
½ February 1, 2018
I didn't feel as strongly with this movie as I did for Bigelows previous entries. Hurt Locker and Zero Dark Thirty are superb narrative driven, action epics. This didn't make me as engaged, which is a shame. The message is clear, it looks gritty and it has a stellar cast, but I didn't connect in the way I wish I could've.
February 1, 2018
At first glance, one might be forgiven for thinking Detroit is yet another movie made to ride the wave of white guilt passing through Hollywood, but it is genuinely deserving of the praise it's received. Kathryn Bigelow brings the gritty realism, and frequently overabundant shaky cam, that she brought to her Oscar winner The Hurt Locker. She is once again putting volatile circumstances under the microscope, this time racist police brutality. The film focuses on an incident of shocking abuse with minute detail and relentless tension. As I mentioned before, Bigelow loves her wobbly cam so much that she uses it in situations that don't even call for it, such as calm conversations between people in a small room. But she gets in close when things get heavy, never letting us go until she's finished with us. It has an overextended runtime, as the final act fails to understand when to call it quits, but the cast make it work with their dedication and sheer talent. Will Poulter has never been more sinister, and John Boyega has never been more sympathetic. If you have the time, Detroit is more than worth the watch.
½ January 31, 2018
Horror movies don't scare me. This movie terrifies me. I saw one reviewer say it's like Dunkirk in the sense that we are dropped into the middle of this event and forced to live it. Kathryn Bigelow is one of the finest filmmakers of her generation.
January 26, 2018
This is a good film made all the more interesting by the fact that it?s factually based.

It?s the type of film that doesn?t really need an all star cast as the script and direction keep your interest.

The most famous actor is the guy that played Finn in the new Star Wars (John Boyega) remakes but his character could have as easily been played by a plethora of other actors without the film suffering a one iota. In fact, I think the film would have been better without Boyega as the fact that he?s so widely known makes you expect more of his character and in truth his role is little more than a functional one.

This is the second film I have seen by director Kathryn Bigelow and I?m impressed. I shall definitely keep an eye out for her future work.
½ January 25, 2018
Detroit is an intense, shocking and terrifying drama directed masterfuly well by Kathryn Bigelow, with solid cast and an impeccable production, this movie will leave the audience speechless at the end. (4,5/5)
January 24, 2018
Good performance from Mackie can't save such a terrible film.
January 24, 2018
One of my top 3 favorite films of 2017!!
Film is NOT for the faint of heart and it really got to me.
January 22, 2018
I'm sure this has the potential to be a wonderful film with great performances and excellent script, etc. But, why do directors insist in using shaky-cam? There's a large number of potential viewers who feel sick as a result of watching your film. People say it's gritty and realistic. So is vomit on your shoes‚¶Stop it and buy a steadycam!
½ January 20, 2018
A combination of elements that work really well and some parts that fall flat. Overall a success.
January 19, 2018
Excellent movie. Wish the outcome was different....
January 19, 2018
Could have done with trimming a little out of Act I and I could always use more Boyega but otherwise a really interesting, horrific and exciting story. Will Poulter oozes arseholedness from the screen, and steals the show. I would have loved to see his version of Pennywise!