Dil Bole Hadippa! (My Heart Goes Hooray!) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dil Bole Hadippa! (My Heart Goes Hooray!) Reviews

½ June 6, 2016
While the idea of the movie is a copy of a Hollywood movie, Dil Bole Hadippa still lacks in a realistic or interesting story supported by average performances.
February 5, 2015
This was a very fun movie. The cast was great, the songs were wonderful, and the love story was adorable.
½ October 31, 2013
Dil Bole Hadippa! (Anurag Singh, 2009)

I admit it-I'm a sucker for big Bollywood productions. (Which is odd considering how much I despise most American musicals.) I'm also a very big fan of cricket and I have generally been impressed with many of the "updated Shakespeare" attempts that have come across my screen (viz. recent Coriolanus review). So what we have here is a Bollywood movie about cricket that's based loosely on Twelfth Night... it's like someone went fishing in my brain and came up with the perfect combination of stuff. Which is not to say Dil Bole Hadippa! Is the best movie in the world or anything, but for what it is, it's a barrel of fun.

Plot: Veera Kaur (Veer-Zaara's Rani Mukerji) is a cricket-obsessed young woman who's sick of watching her small border town's circket squad lose to the squad of their Pakistani neighbors every year. After their eighteenth loss in a row, she goes to join up and is turned away for being a woman. Problem? Not in Bollywood, where a glamorous young lady can smack on a mustache, don a turban, and become Veer Pratap Singh, who suddenly appears out of nowhere in a small town where everyone knows everyone else, and no one questions this! (Just run with it...) Meanwhile, Vicky Singh (Bend It Like Beckham's Anupam Kehr), the squad's owner has a son, Rohan Singh (Chance Pe Dance's Shahid Kapoor), who's gone off to become an international cricket star; Vicky convinces Rohan to come back and train the squad in preparation for next year's match. So they have a trainer who knows the goods and a mysterious new star, and everything's great... until Rohan starts falling for Veera. Cue comedy of errors.

There is nothing here you haven't seen before, but Singh, an associate director since the mid-nineties stepping into the big chair (this is his second film as a director), has learned his craft well; it's an engaging little movie with likable characters stuck into dumb, but funny, situations. Yes, you've got to suspend a whole lot of disbelief to get it to work, but it's a Bollywood movie-if you're not already suspending disbelief when an entire town suddenly breaks into a choreographed dance routine, you're probably watching the wrong genre. There's a fun script, a decent-if-not-yet-great director, and top-notch stars. There's singing, there's dancing, there's romance, and above all there's cricket. What more could you want? *** 1/2
February 16, 2013
You worship the Divine goddess in her idol form, yet in her human form you shun her. <--(or words to that effect)

If you like Bollywood movies in general, or even if you've only seen and enjoyed a few ( Bride and Prejudice?, Slum dog millionaire, etc), then this should be among those to give a try.

Set predominantly in Hindustan (India) and revolving around a traditional, yearly cricket match between India and Pakistan for the Aman (Peace) cup, the story follows Veera, a Punjab girl, who hopes one day to be the #1 cricketer, only problem is, she's a woman (and there are no female cricket teams) and so enters Veer.

This isn't just a Bollywood song and dance romance, albeit the song and dance numbers are infectious in their rhythm and movement (and made me anyway, wanna get up and dance), and the romance lends to the over coming of differences. As light and funny and VERY COLOURFUL, as it is at times, at its heart is a warming story of a girl, her identity, a dream, love of country and two nations!
October 29, 2012
The only thing that kept me going was seeing Shahid's face cause man Rani Mukherjee was so annoying in this. It was a decent movie. I think it's definitely worth watch with a friend.
July 9, 2012
What I consider to be my first exposure to Bollywood. There's this spunky Indian female cricket phenomenon (Rani Mukerji) who is well aware how poorly her country has been playing. Under the guise of a man, she joins the team, only to find herself becoming romantically involved with the handsome captain of the team (Shahid Kapoor) when she is dressed as a woman. I have seen My Name is Khan, but I don't really consider that to be true Bollywood, as it is in English and takes place in the States. The biggest thing I noticed right away is how manipulative the score is; it's always on in the background, always telling you how to feel, and changes on a dime to fit the script. It's not a huge problem, though, and the music during any one of the dance sequences that they burst into on a whim is downright infectious. It does very much feel like you're watching a non-Western style film, and I don't think everything translates. For one thing, I don't for the life of me understand the rules of Cricket; even when the big finale is inevitably reached, I still had questions on the mechanics of the game, and I had been watching nearly two hours of the sport. I had to just go with it like it was like baseball movie, because they share a lot of similar tropes. Apparently, most Bollywood movies are an hour or two longer than Hollywood movies, and it may just be that I am not accustomed to Indian sensibilities, but I think that two and a half hours is an ungodly runtime for what is essentially a romantic comedy. It is never boring, though, because everything is so colorful and emotions are bigger, but you know how this is going to play out, and this story could have been told so much more tightly. This was pretty fun for me, and I know that I must continue to adjust if I want to further explore this genre.
June 18, 2012
This is a Wonderfully funny film with a great story line and a wonderful heroin
ScoopOnline
April 20, 2012
Great Movie, with great Songs. This Movie made me definetily Yash Raj Fan. I mean after watching "Ajaa Nachle" I gave many of Yash Raj Movies a chance and it turned out that his Movies are no Remakes. Original Stories.
February 25, 2012
This is one of my favorite movies Rani Mukherjee is great on here
I own this movie
January 30, 2012
Not surprisingly very bakwaas.
September 14, 2011
½ September 14, 2011
This movie is charming and hilarious. Great music, production, and Rani is perfect in it. It's a great vehicle for her sweet, spunky, strong, and comedic acting. Shahid Kapoor is one of the best dancers in Bollywood, IMO, and there's good chances to see him move here. Highly recommended.
September 11, 2011
Mary, Sam and I had a ridiculous amount of fun watching this movie last night. The fact that none of us understands cricket did not interfere with the fun in any way.
½ July 29, 2011
DIL BOLE HADIPPA! (2009) - Rani Mukherjee and Shahid Kapoor. Absolutely adorable romantic comedy - and cricket too!! Who could ask for more? Really fun songs. Great Punjabi locations (if you've seen VEER-ZAARA, you'll recognize 'em). There are even SRK references! And a FABulous item song at the end - yes, the guy is hunky.
½ July 2, 2011
Our song is hadippa!!
May 17, 2011
faaaaaaa2r moooooooot ykhreb 3a2lek ya rani tele3ty shabah 7ossam 3ashor belzabt hahahahaha bs walahy 7ata fe rogoltek zayyyyy el3asaaaal :) ..
½ March 8, 2011
There is only one reason I watch Bollywood and that is Shahid Kapoor. But this movie went beyond the grain to include crossdressing and sports, only adding to the entertainment value.

Veera, played by Rani Mukerjee, is an aspiring cricket player, repeatedly discriminated by her sex. Rohan is the sexy, foreigner (NRI) coach for the local cricket team. Veera decides to masquerade as Veer (with facial hair and Punjabi hair things) to join his team. But, while playing Veer, Rohan falls for Veera and vice versa. The romance aspect is very limited, but not really necessary with all the comedy.

What I didn't like was how stage drama-like the settings and costumes were. None of them were realistic, but considering the plot, I shouldn't be making such a big fuss about it. The storyline is as unrealistic as it goes.
January 3, 2011
nice, nothing more...
½ December 19, 2010
The movie was OKAY... The plot was too obvious, but the only reason I thought the movie was okay was Rani's acting... she did a very good job and looked flawless. But everything else was very mediocre and simply planned.
½ December 8, 2010
a nice comedy movie, it was ok, songs were good though.