Dirty Grandpa - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dirty Grandpa Reviews

December 13, 2017
Its never quite laugh out loud funny and even the sentimental parts are a little lackluster but id say overall its enjoyable in its own ways
November 28, 2017
Not sure why this is getting so many poor reviews - it has many many belly laughs and unpredictable scenes. Crude, politically incorrect, obscene, farcicle --- all true. But if you find movies like "The Hangover" funny, you should enjoy this one too (I know I did). Deniro and Efron both have solid comedy timing, and I'm planning on watching this again with someone who hasn't seen it yet - just to see if they laugh at the same scenes I did.
½ November 26, 2017
Half a star because I managed to finish it. Otherwise, it was a tired plot line mix of about six different movies mixed with raunchy humour. We actually started saying the cheesy one liners before the actors did. Worst movie I?ve seen in a while.
November 20, 2017
I was hesitant to give this any rating at all, because I didn't want to admit to sitting through it, but in all seriousness it is a horrendous piece. The reason for the complete star is for the supporting characters- the cops and Pam
November 5, 2017
found this movie quite funny. some silly bits but overall ok
½ October 22, 2017
At first, the movie seemed enjoyable, but as time passed on, i started to forget the meaning of word "logic". It only circles on the same track called "sex" and nothing more. The actors performed well, but the logic of story was poor. Maybe the writer was high or his wife was low, i don't know. If it had been written properly with only countable pervert jokes, it would have been great.
October 21, 2017
Turned it off after 30 min. I guess de Niro lost a bet???
October 18, 2017
What can I say, I enjoyed it.
October 9, 2017
idk. guess it was alright. some laughs, but a tad overboard and drawn out.
September 24, 2017
Wow. I didn't have high exceptions for this movie, based on the rating, but man did you guys even get to the part where the dirty grandpa is jacking off???? that's is funny. another part was when the dirty grandpa broke up his grandson's rehearsal dinner and then told him about how Wilt Chamberlin could finger blast 5 girls at the same time. This is DeNiro's best film in the last 10 years. 5 stars. Thanks 4 reading.
September 23, 2017
'I haven't had sex in 15 years and I wanna fuck! fuck! fuck! fuck!'
'Oh, so that's what this is all about??'

Yes this is what this movie is all about, Robert De Niro's dirty grandpa character who has just lost his wife of 40 years, is now revealed to be a foul mouthed, booze obsessed pervert who wants to fuck young girls. Its up to the young, clean cut and unaware Jason (Efron) to escort him from Georgia to his Florida retirement home. Aaand that's your movie in a nutshell people, sound familiar? Well that's probably because its been done a shitzillion times before.

I mean honesty, who thought of this? who greenlit it? The entire concept is so cliche and dated, an old grandfather figure that turns out to be a dirty, loud mouthed, profanity spewing perv who also just happens to be an ex-special forces type so he can also kick ass if needs be. This of course means you're gonna get a sequence where he does indeed kick someone's ass much to the surprise of Jason his grandson. Naturally of course, the fact that grandpa is an ass-kicking, alcohole machine, means that the grandson character must be a total goodie goodie, a real preppy nerd type because its the perfect equal polar opposite matchup. Completely and utterly predictable, cliched, corny and unoriginal, the characters literally lay out the ground plan for the plot without even having to write a single word of dialog for them.

And yes you've guessed it, that plot simply revolves around lots and lots and lots of binge drinking at parties, girls in skimpy bikinis, pool parties, beach parties, drinking, drugs, lame pranks, drinking, sex, nudity, drinking, jail time, muscle flexing and plenty of drinking. This is basically the modern frat boy flick minus any originality because frat boy flicks were a staple diet back in the 80's. So this odd pairing drive off on this road trip of sorts in an attempt to reach Florida. God knows how far they actually get because the entire flick is taken up with the duo getting into various parties so grandpa can try and get laid. This is against the wishes of a shocked Jason of course but he usually ends up getting tricked or drugged into it, then winds up enjoying it, then winds up waking up somewhere hungover and naked...or in jail, take your pick. The whole time Jason is also trying to hide all this outrageous behaviour from his very sexy, yet very prudish fiancee and his conservative parents. Anyway all I know is at one point they get to Daytona beach in Florida, no clue how they got there or how far they still had to go, but who cares.

Now in all honesty the casting for grandpa Dick with De Niro is pretty good. De Niro is the obviously the perfect age and he has that perfect persona where you're not really sure what he's actually like, he could easily be a dark horse. To that extent De Niro does the job well, as we know he's great at swearing and being tough, he still looks pretty tough, and he fits the rough ex-services persona well also. For all intense and purposes he could easily be playing yet another mobster type in a comedy, he never really swings too far from that schtick. As for Jason played by Efron, well to be honest the guy is too good looking and too muscular for this part. He isn't too bad with his comic timing and everything (surprisingly!), but when it came to sequences like the 'flex-off' on the beach and when he's generally topless, he's way too ripped! That's not a bad thing but I really think to get the right comedic affect they should of cast someone without a good physique, with bad hair, someone who's a bit geeky looking. That would at least be a good opposite to the rest of beach/party going extras who are generally all sexy boys and girls. The fact that Efron is way hotter than all of them kinda makes most of the sexual innuendo gags fall flat.

I must point out one character played by some bloke called Jason Mantzoukas. Oh my fucking God this guy was so fucking annoying I could of killed him, literally killed him. Who is this guy? Where did he come from? Why is he being cast in movies? Is he supposed to be a funny guy? Holy shitstains this guy was dreadful, completely unfunny, everything just fell flat or totally missed the target by miles. His whole drug obsession spiel was just so fucking cliched, so old, so not funny! Yeah its so cool and amusing to do drugs or pretend to do drugs ha-ha-ha! Jesus Christ I was giggling at shit like this when I was a kid back in the mid 80's. Then you have the two corrupt cops, one male and one female, played by whoever, I don't care. Once again, completely not funny, not even close, just cringeworthy on every level, literally amateurish.

Yeah so bottom line, this is a piece of shit, an unfunny piece of modern day movie garbage. Not even De Niro or Efron's perfectly tanned torso can save this, its dribble of epic proportions with not a laugh in sight. That is of course...the thought of seeing De Niro's cock in Efron's face sounds good to you? Or 72 year old De Niro's character having sex with a supposed 20 something college student (Lenore) and then having a kid together (making Efron's character the uncle to his grandfathers newborn son and a college slut his new grandmother). Oh and then there's the real classy dialog between grandpa Dick and Lenore...[i]'You're gonna tsunami on my face'[/i], [i]'You're gonna flood like the Nile'[/i], Nice.
September 20, 2017
the movie has its moments of laughter but also has moments that are cringworthy overall not bad
September 17, 2017
Dirty Grandpa is very very very dirty. Don't take your kid to see this movie. There are a ton of inappropriate jokes that actually made me laugh a lot but they're still bad! The end was kind of bad but the rest of the movie was very entertaining! Zac Efron was hilarious and the grandpa was even more hilarious!
September 5, 2017
Raunchy and really funny.
September 1, 2017
Kind of funny, kind of not
August 28, 2017
This is a very funniest movie I've ever seen :)
August 28, 2017
This movie is pure shit! Horrible writing and DeNiro's worst performance. Did he forget how to act? Is this really the same guy from Goodfellas, Heat, Casino? I could go on but this movie is not worth any more of time.
August 28, 2017
Expected more from De Niro, always felt until now he was a rung above the other actors. Overboard vulgarity should have been done by other actors.
August 21, 2017
Dire plot, dire script and marginally funny. Not totally bad and you do get to see a lot of zac effron, hence the one star!
August 14, 2017
I cried laughing so hard