Dirty Grandpa - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dirty Grandpa Reviews

March 21, 2017
Even two stars is generous to a movie like this. Yes, Robert De Niro is insane again, just like in all of the Martin Scorcese movies you've seen him in. However, it's just desperate. First of all, the movie is clearly ripping off at least 10 other movies. The Hangover, Spring Breakers, even ones that don't have any intelligence but are still worth watching for laughs, like That's My Boy and The Wedding Ringer. However, it doesn't reach the laugh or intelligence content of any of those. In addition, it's the script. If they chose bad actors, then we would say that Zac Efron is not likable and they have no chemistry. That's not the case, Efron has been making it in very funny films once he got out of his Disney shell and Robert De Niro, well, he's got at least 4-5 decades to prove how gifted of an actor he is. The script is the problem. The script might as well have been written by a bunch of horny 12 year old boys seeing how far they can go. They think that simply saying "f**king blowjob!" is as funny as A Confederacy of Dunces, or even the funniest joke in Anchorman. That's not to say that constantly using the word "f**k" can't be funny, we've got the Big Lebowski and South Park for that. However, it just tries to hard to be an extremely funny crude, politically incorrect excuse of a comedy, which again takes too much to follow the formula of a Judd Apatow movie, constant sex jokes with genuine sweetness. If you want a movie like that, watch any Judd Apatow movie, whether produced, written or directed by him. If you want a funny, stupid party comedy movie with Zac Efron, watch Neighbors. If you want an effective spring break party movie, watch Spring Breakers. But avoid this. I'm not saying that if you watch this, you'll laugh as much as you would in Scorcese's Cape Fear (Which, unless you're Jeffrey Dahmer, should be zero times), it's just not worth your time.
½ March 21, 2017
Couldn't give Danny Glover a better part? He should fire his agent cause this movie was dumb. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.
March 19, 2017
Super funny and has sexy Zach Effron in it thats points in my book mmmmm
½ March 17, 2017
My personal experience was that it is a lot of fun to see DeNiro and company clown around. I try not to take myself too seriously at all times and just accept things as made for fun. everyone included did a great job.
½ March 17, 2017
This movie is actually revolting. It's just plain wrong and it just should not have ever been filmed.
March 12, 2017
As an old professor once said to me, sometimes you just want entertainment, not good art.
½ March 12, 2017
Robert De Niro and Zac Efron co-star in the comedy Dirty Grandpa. De Niro is Dick Kelly and his wife has passed away after being faithfully married for a long time. He wants so spread his wings and go to Florida and party. He enlists his grandson Jason (Efron) to take him to spring break so they can party and score with chicks.

Jason is uptight and conservative, and on the verge of a getting married to a bitchy wife. Dick wants him to loosen up and forget her, and they do everything between drinking, partying drugs and getting arrested. Within the first 20 minutes the film writes itself and is quite predictable. Clearly the idea is to have Jason leave the bitch, give up being a lawyer and be with this new chick pursue his true passion of being a photographer. Dick is clearly supposed to connect more with his family of which he has been quite distant with over the years.

Dirty Grandpa is a pretty bad comedy that aims for shock comedy and value. The real only highlight of the film was Aubrey Plaza (April from Parks and Rec). Sadly, too much of the film relies on the antics of Jason Mantzoukas carelessly trying to sell drugs of eager spring breakers. Efron continues to play these roles, and De Niro continues to choose questionable films. There aren't too many unexpected or good laughs in this film to warrant this watching. Hot girls in bikinis and Zoey Deutch, and for girls a constantly nude Efron will be the only appeal. Dirty Grandpa did not have a high ceiling or potential to begin with, but the film is even more juvenile and less funny that I hoped.

-3.8.2017
½ March 6, 2017
Of course this movie had no mind blowing, unique, or even vaguely interesting plot. This is not the kind of movie you watch for the plot. This is a generic buddy comedy with lots of shock humour. It's the kind of movie you watch with some mates while probably getting drunk. That's all. If you're watching this expecting to be blown away by the performances of the cast and by the talent of the writing staff, then you are doing it wrong. This movie doesn't try to be deep or meaningful or remotely thought provoking, so don't sit down to watch it expecting something great. It's funny, it's definitely funny, but that's all it's supposed to be. For what it is and for what it tried to be, Dirty Grandpa was a good movie. I do recommend it.
March 6, 2017
Big disappointment... enjoyed De Niro's work in the past, but...this movie was chocked full of gratuitous vulgarity and drug use.
½ March 6, 2017
A˙n no entiendo porque Robert De Niro se rebajˇ a esto... No tiene nada de gracia, es muy est˙pida... Mala, muy mala.
March 5, 2017
It was a good movie but not as funny I thought it would of be.
March 2, 2017
"shut it off after the jail scene, worst scene I have ever seen in a film. just so stupid. it is like they gave up on the script during that scene and fell asleep in a pile of shit. waste of my time."
March 2, 2017
I'm sorry, but I thought it was hilarious. I love De Niro as a dirty grandpa and Efron as a stick in the mud.
½ February 26, 2017
Jason Kelly is a young, upwardly-mobile lawyer at a law firm in Atlanta. His grandmother has just died and his grandfather, Dick Kelly, needs someone to drive him to Florida. Little does he know that Dick really just wants to go to Spring Break in Daytona...

From the promos this looked pretty juvenile. It is, sort of, but works. The main reason that it does so is Robert De Niro as Dick. He gets the best lines, particularly some great put-downs and banter, and delivers them perfectly.

What's more, the humour isn't all of the puerile variety and there are some clever punch-lines and scenes along the way. Quite subversive at times too.

Plot is pretty basic and predictable but it's not bad.

Overall, well worth watching, unless you're someone who is easily offended and/or has no sense of humour.
½ February 25, 2017
Couldn't sit through that garbage. I wanted to take a large piece of furniture and throw it at the television then take a baseball bat and demolish the living room after that droll.
February 22, 2017
It's disconcerting to see De Niro acting this badly. The plot is completely predictable. I think they were trying to produce a Hangover type movie but they missed the mark completely. It is shocking that De Niro would do a movie like this, but then again, when was his last really good role? It appears that De Niro is just cashing in on his reputation. This movie isn't really worth watching for free on Amazon Prime where I watched it.
½ February 21, 2017
This movie only gets a half of star because I'm a DeNiro fan. Other than that, this movie is awful
½ February 21, 2017
A story about an old man trying to get laid. How high could your expectations be?
February 20, 2017
I really love this movie it's toooooooo funny
February 20, 2017
Funny af loved it such amazing characters and great jokes would buy....yea!