Dirty Rotten Scoundrels - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Reviews

August 13, 2017
funniest movie I've ever seen. cried laughing... done that only once in 30 yrs
May 20, 2017
Meh, I don't quite like Dirty Rotten Scoudrels as much as other people. Some chemistry between Michael Caine and Steve Martin, okay. Remaining at ease whenever Steve Martin is onscreen, sure. A few jokes that I actually laughed at, fine by me. But for me, it wasn't truly amusing. The story never really took off IMO. I felt like the whole con artists - please excuse me for this - con-cept never explored the possibilties with its premise. I personally didn't really care about the sudden plot twist. It'll serve fans of Caine and/or Martin's well but sadly I am not one of them.
½ May 15, 2017
100820: Quite an enjoyable film. Took 15 to start drawing out laughs but they didn't stop once started. Some very funny scenes.
May 15, 2017
One of my fave films. Funny, great acting with a twist.
½ March 10, 2017
Enjoyed it as a little kid. Watched it again 20
years later and still found it hilarious. Steve Martin at his peak. Stellar performance from Micheal Caine as well.
January 7, 2017
One of the very few films in which I can tolerate Steve Martin. Probably because he stars alongside Michael Caine, one of my favourite actors. Pretty funny, this one. Yay, Ian McDiarmid!
½ December 22, 2016
Yet another solid Steve Martin role, this time playing the quick-witted conman in this late '80s comedy. It's interesting to see Caine taking a more humorous part, and producing - along with Planes, Trains and Automobiles - a brilliant few years for Mr Martin. Almost every scene brings a smile, due to the fantastic chemistry between the superb leads.
Verdict: A
½ November 2, 2016
Even though this movie doesn't really have overly likable characters, I felt like Steve Martin and Michael Caine did well with their roles. The movie wasn't consistently funny, but it gave enough laughs to keep me interested. It is an oldie, but it is worth checking out at least once.
½ September 30, 2016
Classic & classy....from 2 dirty rotten scoundrels....
August 7, 2016
One of the funniest films ever made, Dirty Rotten Scounderels is an intelligent and quick-witted comedy.
July 30, 2016
I've only previously seen fleeting bits of this movie before now, but I still thought I would know how it all unfolded - I was wrong, so clearly I'd not been paying that much attention. It basically sees Caine and Martin go head to head in a battle to see who can con their way into getting £50k out of unsuspecting women, with the loser having to suffer the loss of their pride, as well as having to leave the holiday island for good. The comedy is then all injected into the remainder of the story with it showcasing the amusing extremes they will both go to get what they want. Martin poses as a disabled war veteran and mentally disabled Prince, whilst Caine is a highly sought after Psychiatrist from Lichtenstein. Morally this is all completely wrong but the competitiveness between the two drives them into inflicting embarrassment and a lot of pain into one another. It's very tongue in cheek, corny and predictable to an extent, but having said that I was too engrossed in the tasteless humour to suspect what was just around the corner in the concluding scenes. That's just a subtle way of saying I'm unbelievably thick and didn't spot the twist a mile off (even if it was obvious). It's quite a classic from the 80's which doesn't really have a negative element to it. I think the final scenes were not particularly necessary in the sense that the 'Jackal' returned to the island to gloat about their success and start up what is deemed to be another profitable scheme. In my eyes the ending would have been more apt after the bombshell had been dropped and it is the audience that is left with the realisation that they had also been conned throughout. Other than that, its effortless comedy is most fulfilling
½ March 12, 2016
Steve Martin and Michael Caine make an unexpectedly strong comedy duo that will have you on the floor laughing.
March 8, 2016
I really enjoyed watching these 2 legends on screen. What made it so fun is how different, yet how similar the characters were. They were both con men, just very different at how they did their business. I am one of the biggest Steve Martin fans on the planet, but Michael Caine was the real star of this film, with a cool, collected, and confident performance who is the master of cons, who doesn't want anyone invading on his territory. The laughs really take a turn for the best when they come together in this movie, and Caine shows Martins character the way of a true con man.
The sequences are absolutely halarioius.
Martin shined, but man Caine shined brighter.

I also thought the plot was interesting. It made you scoot up in your seat, and say this will be a fun ride. It was very intriguing to say the least watching these guys work their talents on screen in a good ole comedy film.
February 22, 2016
Pendant près d'une heure, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels est furieusement drôle grâce au duo parfait composé de Michael Caine et Steve Martin. Frank Oz perd cependant toute l'efficacité de sa mise en scène au moment où l'intrigue se met en place et où l'excellente Glenne Headly entre en scène. Le film est alors cousu de fil blanc, le rythme se ralentit considérablement et les gags sont beaucoup moins réussis. Il n'empêche que voir ce trio se tirer dans les pattes pendant 2h reste plutôt divertissant. On attendait mieux cependant d'une telle réunion. Le score est cependant excellent de bout en bout.
December 6, 2015
Funny, nice twist at the ending.
½ November 26, 2015
Quote fest, niiiiice twist!!!
October 31, 2015
Vintage Martin and Vintage middle-period-Caine. A classic piece of sharp and witty comedy. A real VHS weekly hire stalwart.
October 28, 2015
I can't believe I'd never seen this until recently. It came out at a time when we were hitting more children's movies than anything else. This was utterly charming, the chemistry between Caine and Martin is wonderful as each does their style it actually blends together very well.
September 12, 2015
A rich con artist playboy and a petty small time protege battle to see who can swindle an American Soap queen out of $50,000. The result is a hilarious mix up of Michael Caine and Steve Martin in top form, for a very funny movie with cons and scoundrels.
July 30, 2015
another caper movie a cut above most caqper pix