The Dish - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Dish Reviews

January 8, 2017
An interesting movie about Australia's role in the first man to land on the moon.
½ October 25, 2016
The Dish is loosely based on the true story of the small Australian town that was one of the only places in the southern hemisphere with a dish of sufficient size to pick up transmissions from the Apollo 11 moon landing. The film introduces us to a handful of humorous characters who run the station. The actors are all quite good, even if Sam Neill's attempt at an Australian accent was muddled at best. Their interactions have that comfortable small-town feel as if they have known each other basically their entire lives. There are definitely moments that made me laugh, including one that was downright hilarious. However, The Dish was a very slight film. There isn't a whole lot that happens in the movie, the conflict is minimal, and the resolution is straightforward. In fact, I understand that the small amount of difficulty they experience was a fabrication of the script, so they even felt the need to punch up the history just to make it more engaging as a film. It's a small movie with a quaint feel, and if there were a clearer arc to the story it might be the kind of thing I would love. As presented I find The Dish to be a good nod to the Australian men-and-women who helped in this historic moment, and overall a pleasant film that I'd watch again but probably won't seek out.
September 11, 2016
A fun, light relief comedy drama.
May 25, 2016
If you could define a prototypical perfect Indie movie with the most bang for your buck, I'd say this movie.
May 16, 2016
Very enjoyable. The humor is quiet and gentle, and the film is good for its historical value.
April 24, 2016
This is a delightful and mild-mannered comedy set in 1969 concerning the townsfolk of a small Australian community that became a significant player in the NASA Apollo 11 moon expedition. The town is the site of a large satellite dish that NASA needed to relay television signals from Neil Armstrong and the crew on the moon back to Earth and the millions of viewers waiting to see the historic events unfold. Sam Neil plays the head of the small radio telescope team who find themselves thrust into the spotlight. It is a gentle comedy of manners and the differences between two cultures. There are a fair number of chuckles and giggles and an interesting story to be told in this feel good movie directed by Rob Sitch. I'm not quite sure how much of the story is based in fact but the characters are all well drawn if somewhat stereotypical, the acting is sound and the script both entertaining and honest. I liked this little movie a lot for it's period feel and charm together with its gentle way of sending up and ribbing some of the more pompous elements of human nature.
January 19, 2016
Just the best movie that most Americans have never seen. Funny, historical, inspirational, funny, light hearted, clean, funny. It's a great movie. And - it's funny.
½ June 9, 2015
funny and very Aussi
½ March 8, 2015
A filmI watch again and again. It is SO funny
½ January 29, 2015
Great performances from the cast and an emotional kick that you can't escape. Full review later.
Robbanflix
January 1, 2015
A true story based movie about an event which celebrates its 40 years now actually .. Apollo 11 and the first steps on the moon.. This is a subject i find pretty interesting and movies about space etc.. have always been rather good actually for the most time. This movie follows the story of a huge remote antenna settled in Australia and it was a very important one for the communications for the spaceflight. The movie focus much on the small group which must control the dish. Sam Neill is one of the more famous actors starring in this flick. Its rated as comedy/drama or lighthearted drama which i like to call this genre. Its a decent movie all in all and well made but perhaps not quite one of the typical space movies i want to see. But its always interesting if you like this subject and then you will probably enjoy a solid movie in the end.
½ October 31, 2014
'The dish' is a Australian drama/comedy true story about 4 scientist who have the job to maintain and ensure that television pictures and visuals are broadcasted in the event of Apollo 11. Though the job isn't as easy as it seems and are faced with problems that could have easily prevented us from watching the amazing historic event. I thought the movie was great. The story was well interpreted and was followed by an equally great camera shots and music to accompany the story. Highly enjoyable movie and would definitely recommend
October 26, 2014
While it's characters and story are wonky at times, it has a lot of heart and very funny moments.
½ September 6, 2014
The movie never strays from the story it's trying to tell.
August 1, 2014
Wonderful stuff from all the cast especially Roy Billing.Just seen it again and loved it.
July 19, 2014
I really enjoyed this movie, I was a kid and was allowed to stay up to watch the moon landing! I do not know how much of the screenplay was true, maybe the local band really did not know the American National Anthem!
May 13, 2014
This has always been that kind of film where I'm known it was meant to be good, and that I would probably like it ... and yet have just never felt in the mood to sit down and watch it. Having finally done so now, I'm not really sure to make of it. I mean, it certainly was a nice movie. And I've always been a fan of the guys who made it (the same group that made 'Frontline' and 'The Late Show', which was like the original 'Chasers'). But it's obvious that Rob Sitch has limited skills when it comes to directing larger-scale films. It still had that amateurish element that, to me, just seemed more belonging on a TV-Movie rather than a full-length film. I think the premise they centred around was very interesting, and they also did a good job of setting up various fictional stories between the characters so as not to bore the general viewer. But in my opinion, they went to all this effort only to leave all the side-stories unfinished, and while Rotten Tomatoes commends it for this - "A feel-good movie without an abundance of mush" - I actually wouldn't have minded if they had tried to be a little more sentimental, and interested in showing how the characters grew emotionally by the end. I also thought that the editing wasn't very good - some shots just ended too abruptly, the split-second after a line of dialogue, and again that just made it feel cheap and amateur.
But then, on the other hand, 'The Dish' still was a very charming movie, and it was also nice to see a decent Australian film that actually did reasonably well internationally. And, of course, there were some pretty hilarious parts. All round it was "pretty good" ... with occasional moments of excellence among an otherwise mediocre field. Some people might love it, and I wouldn't argue if they did. I just don't think I liked it quite as much as I thought I would.
August 31, 2013
brilliant film, it has wonderful characters I love this film one of my faves
April 21, 2013
Delightful mix of the large and small of human endeavors--A sweet-natured movie, well acted and amusing!!
½ April 1, 2013