Dogtown and Z-Boys - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dogtown and Z-Boys Reviews

June 12, 2016
Excellent documentary about the skating subculture of the 70s.
½ May 2, 2016
An interesting look into a small part of American culture, that was extremely important to those involved. Despite a small budget, it is smartly directed by one of their own.
March 9, 2015
All we wanted to do is skate.

In the early 70s on the California coastline where Venice Beach now resides used to be slummy area where kids had to make the most of what little they had. When surfing wasn't cool, kids used to surf in the rough parts of the coastline; and when they couldn't surf, they picked up skateboarding, but did it like surfers. Most of the next gen skateboarding we now see in x-games was born as skateboarding started getting stylish, complex, and intense. A new wave sweeps the country.

"This is concrete warfare."

Stacy Peralta, director of Riding Giants, When Disaster Strikes, American Teenagers Growing Up on Television, and Crips and Bloods: Made in America, delivers Dogtown and Z-Boys. The premise for this documentary is very cool and well done. I was thoroughly impressed by the photographs and quality of the video from the 70s on display in this picture. I also loved the number of originals skaters this film contained.

"This was the last great sea side slum."

I was looking at Sean Penn pictures on Netflix and decided this film he narrated may be interesting. I gave it a shot and was thoroughly impressed by this documentary. I loved the premise and tale and its one of those coming of age movies you just want to know more and more about. It is sad and triumphant at the same time. I strongly recommend viewing this gem.

"It was dirty. It was filthy. It was paradise."

Grade: A
½ October 26, 2014
At a slim 91 minutes, some of the subjects of "Dogtown and Z-Boys" feel a bit slighted, but the fast-paced, streamlined, highly-infectious energy on display is a perfect trade-off. One of the most purely entertaining and well-crafted documentaries I know of.
½ October 18, 2014
Documentário sobre a turma californiana que desencadeou a ressurreição do skate é muito mais valioso em termos visuais do que informativos. Ou seja, aqui temos uma hora e meia muito bem passada a ver as manobras altamente inspiradas de uns quantos miúdos em cima de um skate. Impossível mesmo é ignorar a soul e a poesia que Jay Adams deu à segunda vaga do skate e o documentário é muito dele também.
½ September 30, 2014
An informative and engagingly wild ride on the journey of skateboarding's founding fathers. Vividly captures an iconic era in California history.
½ September 28, 2014
A highly interesting, engaging, informative documentary that successfully gives viewers a VIP pass into the brotherhood and allows them to adopt the refreshing "F U" attitude.
½ August 18, 2014
Great doco! Enjoyed it even more then the movie r.i.p Jay Adams
½ August 2, 2014
S
Solid documentary about edgey kids who first surf then skate in the face of the american dream. sadly some of the youngest and most gifted succumb to the lure of drugs while others become slaves to the crass marketing of their go for broke instincts. few come out on top. but the die is cast and fruit of it all is the new national pastime, skateboarding (the New York Times notes that "it was once considered a snub to authority. Now, however, skateboarding has its own summer camps, video games, magazines [actually it always had these] and corporate sponsors.") commercialism co-opts another kid birthed cultural node.
½ July 16, 2014
I saw Lords of Dogtown when it first came out in theaters, but I have never seen the documentary, Dogtown and Z-Boys, which inspired that movie to be made. It's a pretty good documentary that gives a very good thorough history on skateboarding and how the Z-Boys kind of revolutionized the sport and modernized it. I would have liked to see the movie get a bit more into talking about the individual kid's lives, but there were quite a few of them so I understand why they didn't. All in all it's a good documentary although I think it is a bit too overrated by most people.
June 20, 2014
For me to give 5 stars to a movie it has to be a very something special....a movie that I can and have watched many times. First off the soundtrack is awesome.... the movies historical significance is only important if your into x sports , but when it comes to skateboarding these guys were the sh&%. Director and writer Stacy Peralta lived it so his angle on this story is honest and true. The last reason for me is that I grew up in this neighborhood (Venice California where the debris meets the sea) during this time so when I see the places that these guys skated ,it immerses me in a way no other movie can ....One of my top 10 favs for sure..
½ May 22, 2014
Lots of great film footage. Hundreds of stills, sometimes rather unfortunately 'livened up' with dodgy effects. And sadly, apart from the music, virtually no audio from the period at all.
blkbomb
½ April 22, 2014
Skip Engblom: Children took the ruins of the 20th century and made art out of it.

"The Birth of Extreme"

Dogtown and Z-Boys is one of the more entertaining documentaries I've ever seen and actually one of the first documentaries I remember watching. The craziest thing about my love for this movie, is that skateboarding and everything that goes with it, isn't something that really interests me. Stacey Peralta, who is a fantastic documentary filmmaker, know exactly how to keep this movie fast paced and interesting.

The movie did end up making me interested in the Z-Boys story. It's enjoyable to see how these street kid, surfers reinvented a dying sport and made it something that everybody knew about. Main highlights of the film include concrete warfare, where they would sneak into people's backyards and ride their pools and also the first skate competition that the Zephyr skate team was a part of.

If you've seen Lords of Dogtown and enjoyed it, this is something you should give a look. It's a great companion film to Lords of Dogtown and both are fun and entertaining films to watch. If getting the more in depth look into the movement is important to you, then Dogtown and Z-Boys is the way to go.
August 12, 2013
Amazing do not skip this documentary this is the history of skateboarding and it is amazing this is the true story opposed to the fiction told in lords of dogtown the struggle the boys faced in life was hard the were the kids that would never be voted in a year book to succeed in life and yet they changed the face and popularized a failing sport into what it is today watch this movie
July 6, 2013
There isn't very much positive history that comes out of the Los Angeles era. Dogtown and the Z-boys are the exception. This is one of the best documentaries of all time.
June 18, 2013
A very well cut, hip sounding insightful Doco on the early days of skate boarding.

It's amazing the influence skate boarding had on youth in the 1970's and how contagious the personalities of Dogtown where.

All members where so different yet had a common uniqueness. This documentary covers all the key members of the group & their respective rise & falls.

This truly was a movement in the US & this is a made film that is interesting & stylish.
June 1, 2013
Great doc on the Skateboarding and it becoming mainstream!
May 25, 2013
Interesting documentary on the birth of skateboarding. Best watched as a companion piece with the superior 'Lords of Dogtown'.
March 4, 2013
I loved it. Made me nostalgic for my youth and memories of growing up in the 70s.
½ January 16, 2013
Great documentary on how the world has been influenced by skateboarding from my hometown... Skip E. is the man... thanks for the SMA deck!