Doomsday - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Doomsday Reviews

½ August 8, 2017
Let me startlingly clear in saying that this movie was an absolute dumpster fire of cinematography and prose. If there was a cliche that could have been attempted, this movie attempted it.

Disregarding that and trying to force yourself to enjoy this monstrosity, you have the wild inconsistencies that keep appearing. For instance: a bunker located beneath a mountain in a country that's been sealed for three decades. (mild spoils) Said bunker not only contains a mid 2000s model Bentley, but gasoline. Not just any gasoline, but gasoline that has gone untreated for 30 years and remains perfectly viable!

Don't even get me started on the fact that she finds a (for the time) current model cell phone.

I suppose in the light of positivity I can say that everything about this movie tried exceptionally hard. From the dramatic moments that fell flatter than a pancake, to the cumbersome musical score. It was all a very solid try. Not a good one, mind you, but a solid one.
July 23, 2017
I really liked this movie. It's Mad Max / Escape From New York. I kept waiting for Rhona Mitra to say " Call Me Snake "
April 13, 2017
Absolutely love this movie! I rarely buy movies, but this one is a definite need-to-buy. The main theme really makes you think about what you would do if stuck in the situation and the film storyboard artist portrayed the story very well.
½ April 2, 2017
Not good nor bad. A mixture between some Resident Evil ideas (at the beginning of the film) and Mad Max a bit more violent.
½ March 15, 2017
I will tell you how to enjoy this movie. I am a Scotsman myself and for that reason I supported the scottish people in it who were fighting back. Then those people became so horrible I fell back in line with supporting the main characters again. This movie tries to give you a bit of everything: futuristic meets, ye olde world, familiar action elements from a range of movies and still holds the plot together surprisingly well. However it does tail off towards the end and the worst parts unfortunately are reserved for the end.
½ March 5, 2017
I wanted to like it.. i like rhona mitra..but the movie wasnt good in my opinion.. story was crap..
February 22, 2017
While being a blatant rip-off of some great action films, this movie still seemed to keep me entertained. Every so often it would be so over-the-top that I couldn't help but laugh or get a kick in some way.

Again, all characters, set pieces, storyline, down to the damn cars they drove we're all borrowed from some better movie. I wouldn't recommend watching this movie unless you can turn your brain off and enjoy a recycled homage of you're favorite action/sci-fi movies.

It's worth a watch if there's nothing else on and you're in the mood for that sort of thing. Otherwise, I'd say skip it and go see something better.
February 11, 2017
Neil Marshal unabashedly wears his influences on his sleeves in this high budget b movie amalgamation. It was conceived with a specific audience in mind but it's execution is far more generalized making for a wildly uneven watch.
September 17, 2016
Mad Max meets Snake Plisskin.
½ August 13, 2016
8/13/2016: I really like this film. It was a very entertaining apocalypse movie and had that Mad Max feel.
jamrcla
July 25, 2016
I enjoyed it more than I thought I would even though the old virus story has been done before, It's basically 28 Days Later and Mad Max mixed, It had a chance to be different to the rest of its type but chose to go with action and gore, A few silly scenes ruined it but the action was ok, Predictable at times and not greatly acted but it's pretty fun in places, Could of been worse, Could of been better.
½ July 14, 2016
I always skip forward to the Bentley GT chase
May 30, 2016
Borrows a lot from better films (Mad Max in particular), but still a fun, mindless action movie that pays homage to 80s action fests.
May 20, 2016
Un Mad Max version cheap
½ April 15, 2016
It wasn't a bad film, but I expect better from Neil Marshall. Even in the context of a sci-fi film, I expect the plot and action to be believable, and this just wasn't. Good action though.
½ January 29, 2016
Not sure why the terrible ratings - I actually thought it was quite good.
January 2, 2016
Violent apocalyptic film throws every cliche into its plot and still manages to be boring.
August 22, 2015
Fun sci-fi action flick that is like a mashup of "Escape from New York" and "Mad Max". It doesn't take itself too seriously.
½ July 21, 2015
great British post - apocalyptic flick. The beginning is 'Escape From New York' middle 'Army Of Darkness' end 'Mad Max:Fury Road'. This pisses all over the mad max movie though. great action with plenty of blood and snot...loved it.
July 5, 2015
An absurd 80s homage/Frankenstei of sorts. It's got knights, Mad Max inspired hooligans, a scene of two ripped from Aliens, and a very Escape from New York and 28 Days/Weeks Later plot going on. It doesn't do any of those things better than the originals, but the fact that it manages to combine all of those elements with a reckless abandon.