Doomsday - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Doomsday Reviews

½ August 28, 2018
This movie is going in several different directions at once. Between Mad Max, 28 Days Later, & Escape from New York, the director couldn't decide which one to rip off, so he went with all of them.
½ June 2, 2018
Pros: Some powerful imagery
At times very strong plot

Cons:Bland Style
Over the top action isn't done justice because of its poor stylistic camera work
Weak character development
June 1, 2018
While the larger premise is intriguing the writing is abysmal and almost incoherent at times, the acting is very bland and overall is not that interesting for large stretches. There are some good action sequences and some imaginative ideas that are presented but it never coalesces into a coherent or fun story.
April 16, 2018
It's silly, but its silliness you warm to after the admittedly jarringly toned starter. The big criticism of the movie is its conflicted tone. On one hand, the plague devastation is played rather straight, but once you get to Glasgow its time for a party! Madness and entertainment ensues when you find the gangs, and the ending chase is just so great! The three themes of near future London, punk Glasgow and the medieval castle are distanced enough from each other that one theme never interrupts the next. Still, it makes the themes exist in their own vacuum, and the sense of urgency to escape with a cure seems to be sidelined until the final chase.

Popcorn entertainment, and makes the most of the setup for the B movie schlock. Don't expect a 28 days later style version of the plague and you are fine! not worthy of the low box office gross IMO
April 6, 2018
Tremendously fun and thrilling film that doesn't take itself seriously. Doomsday draws many great ideas from the best post-apocalyptic movies and I would recommend this to any viewer that loves this genre.
½ March 28, 2018
This movie reminds me of a mix of mad max and an average medieval film in a resident evil universe, but directed by a monkey on very hard drugs.
½ February 1, 2018
I give it average score, plenty of action but not very believable.
December 29, 2017
Holy hell, it's John Carpenter's Escape From London! Though it begins typically, it soldiers on with a driving verve and wicked sense of humor that culminates into one of the most fully realized worlds of the apocalyptic genre. This movie is ridiculous, in a grand way, AND IT KNOWS IT. Its only glaring flaw is being the unfortunate byproduct in a sad era of shakycam smash editing.
December 22, 2017
I'd read a bunch of reviews about how disappointing this movie was, so I had low expectations going into it, but I actually enjoyed this film quite bit. I LOVED Neil Marshall's two other films, "Dog Soldiers" and "The Descent", and this one is quite good, but it's still not as good as those two. The film is clearly a love letter to "Escape from New York" and other Warriors-of-the-Wasteland films of the 80s and this is quite a treat for fans of those films. If watching "1990: The Bronx Warriors" or "Cherry 2000" is your idea of a good time, you should definitely check this film out.
December 1, 2017
Mad Max meets Resident Evil... Rhona is beyond sexy in this action packed thriller....
September 13, 2017
Bad movie. Though the plot showed glimpses of originality, it was still riddled with clichés and featured generic direction, an over abundance of gore, an incoherent story and cardboard performances from its cast.
August 28, 2017
this movie make homage of post-apocalyptic and cannibal movies of 70s and 80s
August 21, 2017
As far as post-apocalyptic sci-fi goes, I give this one a B. The cheesy and dated way it makes punk rockers the "enemy", even as the soundtrack plays New Wave and barely punk Siouxsie and the Banshees is asinine, sure, but the overall plot arc, script, acting, directing, and cinematography are good, for a sci-fi flick.

One more con--the blatant Bentley ad-placement in the last 15 minutes or so is a bit of a distraction.
½ August 8, 2017
Let me startlingly clear in saying that this movie was an absolute dumpster fire of cinematography and prose. If there was a cliche that could have been attempted, this movie attempted it.

Disregarding that and trying to force yourself to enjoy this monstrosity, you have the wild inconsistencies that keep appearing. For instance: a bunker located beneath a mountain in a country that's been sealed for three decades. (mild spoils) Said bunker not only contains a mid 2000s model Bentley, but gasoline. Not just any gasoline, but gasoline that has gone untreated for 30 years and remains perfectly viable!

Don't even get me started on the fact that she finds a (for the time) current model cell phone.

I suppose in the light of positivity I can say that everything about this movie tried exceptionally hard. From the dramatic moments that fell flatter than a pancake, to the cumbersome musical score. It was all a very solid try. Not a good one, mind you, but a solid one.
July 23, 2017
I really liked this movie. It's Mad Max / Escape From New York. I kept waiting for Rhona Mitra to say " Call Me Snake "
April 13, 2017
Absolutely love this movie! I rarely buy movies, but this one is a definite need-to-buy. The main theme really makes you think about what you would do if stuck in the situation and the film storyboard artist portrayed the story very well.
½ April 2, 2017
Not good nor bad. A mixture between some Resident Evil ideas (at the beginning of the film) and Mad Max a bit more violent.
½ March 15, 2017
I will tell you how to enjoy this movie. I am a Scotsman myself and for that reason I supported the scottish people in it who were fighting back. Then those people became so horrible I fell back in line with supporting the main characters again. This movie tries to give you a bit of everything: futuristic meets, ye olde world, familiar action elements from a range of movies and still holds the plot together surprisingly well. However it does tail off towards the end and the worst parts unfortunately are reserved for the end.
½ March 5, 2017
I wanted to like it.. i like rhona mitra..but the movie wasnt good in my opinion.. story was crap..
February 22, 2017
While being a blatant rip-off of some great action films, this movie still seemed to keep me entertained. Every so often it would be so over-the-top that I couldn't help but laugh or get a kick in some way.

Again, all characters, set pieces, storyline, down to the damn cars they drove we're all borrowed from some better movie. I wouldn't recommend watching this movie unless you can turn your brain off and enjoy a recycled homage of you're favorite action/sci-fi movies.

It's worth a watch if there's nothing else on and you're in the mood for that sort of thing. Otherwise, I'd say skip it and go see something better.