Doubt - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Doubt Reviews

November 13, 2016
Because Dr. Vo is rating this movie high, I have to take this as if it were Ebert giving a review (: I'll be back later this week to post a rating.
November 8, 2016
Lead by exceedingly strong performances, Doubt" is a powerful drama that challenges the natures of faith and conviction.
½ October 1, 2016
this film created an emotion inside of me that I've never felt before. Riveting from beginning to end.
½ September 22, 2016
Knee-deep in the throes of my first love, I was quite surprised to hear that my lady's favourite movie was 'Joe Versus the Volcano'. (I still haven't seen the film). It dawned on me, when I wanted to check out an American film which, to my knowledge, had a plethora of fine acting, that this was written and directed by the same guy who made that film much earlier. Being raised Christian and hearing in the press over the past few years about misdeeds, especially involving leaders of the Catholic church (represented in films as diverse as 'The Boys of St. Vincent' (John N. Smith, 1992) and 'In Bruges' (Martin McDonagh, 2008), I was especially intrigued by this, his work of more recent vintage.

The ambiguity at the core of the film (and hence the 'doubt') really acts in the movie's favour. The script and direction are both tense and flawless, and the beautiful New York locations chosen to illustrate The Bronx in 1964 help air the play out, and give it more cinematic scope. It features some of the finest work I have seen from Philip Seymour Hoffman (though my favourites will always be 'Happiness' and 'The Master'), Meryl Streep (my most-esteemed works of hers are 'The Deer Hunter' and 'The Devil Wears Prada') and Amy Adams (this is her finest performance IMHO) as well as a breakthrough role for Viola Davis, who steals every scene she's in. This easily holds up well even with Shanley's Oscar-winning screenplay for 'Moonstruck', and, though dark and depressing, is thoroughly recommended for those who can stomach its subject matter, and peer into that abyss without flinching, as these fine exemplars of 21st-century American cinema so easily do here.

That it didn't win any of its five Oscar nominations is almost as ghastly, to the cinephile, as the misdeeds insinuated here are to the community at large. Must have been a strong year for film, methinks.
September 12, 2016
Meryl Streep and the late Philip Seymour Hoffman are an excellent combination in this period piece from somewhere in the outer boroughs of NYC. Hoffman is the parish priest who takes a special interest in a Negro altar boy; Streep suspects something. But she is not sure. Hence, the title. Good films do not leave you with a conclusion, but with a question mark hanging in the air.
½ July 25, 2016
Excellently performed parable about the nature of doubt, judgement and gossip. Really dig the way it's handled and doesn't offer any straight, easy answers.
½ June 27, 2016
The title of this movie is clear throughout as there is doubt among even the moviegoer.  This movie is uncomfortable at best and by the end there is no certainty over whether the accusations presented in the movie are true or not.  I'm pretty sure that was the purpose but I didn't like it.  Not recommended.
½ June 19, 2016
This movie is enigmatic. Not much happens, but it does so at a brisk pace. The story starts slowly with ideological clashes between charismatic priest Father Flynn (Phillip Seymour Hoffman) and traditional Parish School Sister Aloysius Beauveir (Meryl Streep). When themes move to accusations of abuse, viewers are given much to contemplate about the concept of doubt itself.
May 15, 2016
I still can't get over the brilliance of Meryl Streep's acting in this movie. She deserves the Best Actress Oscar, by far. This was a solid script featuring minimal, yet well-developed, characters, performed by extremely capable actors. Surprisingly, there was a lot of comedy in the beginning but it all worked. Kudos also to Amy Adams, but I was (only a tad) underwhelmed by Philip Seymour Hoffman, compared to the women, and by the ending which to me came out of left field.
April 15, 2016
Great movie. I loved seeing the same situation from the different viewpoints of the characters. Acting, of course, is fabulous. How could it not be with Meryl and Phillip Seymour Hoffman?! Hoffman left us way too early.
April 12, 2016
A well-acted heavy drama, but kind of dull. I wouldn't watch it again. (First and only viewing - 1/22/2015)
½ April 5, 2016
Thought-provoking, outstanding acting, smartly written. Streep's best performance of her career.
April 2, 2016
Still keeps me thinking to this day
½ March 29, 2016
This is a real human drama that, whist heavy-handed at times, never falls into the realm of being unconvincing or, more importantly, anything other than engaging.

I think 'Doubt' is a tremendous drama that uses the three powerhouse names behind it (Streep, Hoffman, & Adams) brilliantly, as each character is a mystery in itself and yet the film still fits in an intriguing dynamic around how the characters interact with each other.

It's clearly a theater adaptation and it can feel held back by this at times- when you are ready for things to heat up, you're likely just going to be served with some clunky, heavy dialogue. Still, the premise has such weight to it and it's handled by such a strong cast that I think all of this can easily be overlooked.

This is absolutely 'my kind' of film! However, that may be more of an insult than a compliment. Let's just say... I have my doubts...
March 12, 2016
Well acted and an interesting story. Meryl Streep and Philip Seymour Hoffman were brilliant.
March 9, 2016
One of the best acting ensembles of the 2000's with a compelling story at it's centre that offers no sure answers.
January 28, 2016
A great drama that focuses on a Catholic Church and good acting.
January 27, 2016
What could have easily been a dull, plotless topic ends up being a well-acted, shot, and paced film that includes some challenges to your perspective. It requires a closer look into the visual language that has been expertly caught by Deakins.
January 22, 2016
In general, a not much story but, the cast gives it an emphasis that no one could stand back from it. Also no one can deny to what existence Hippocrasy prevails in the church
½ January 18, 2016
Doubt is beyond remarkably and tastefully acted. Each performance is rich and sublimely believable, none more than Viola Davis' brief but pivotal wallop. Doubt is an enigma that prophetically lingers in the mind.