Down With Love - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Down With Love Reviews

June 30, 2016
An homage to the old Rock Hudson/Doris Day films, but it does't quite measure up.
½ April 20, 2016
Absolutely adorable romantic comedy on gender equality and women's liberation and revelation and just pure old fashion romantics, with serious flirting, double entendres, good laughs and brilliant soundtrack. Zelweger, McGregor and Paulson are great but the king of the film is.... David Hyde Pierce. Seriously. And if you watch it, watch the credits too not to miss anything.
February 25, 2016
an impressively accurate homage of early Hollywood romantic comedies. It captures the tone and scene of humor and is more funny then some of the "classics". I also like how there were jokes that would have worked at the time and some jokes making fun of the time. Zellwiger and McGregor fit into these roles well. Not must see but not bad.
July 26, 2015
A really unique movie with great performances from Renee Zellweger, David Hyde Pierce, and mostly Sarah Paulson. I actually wished David and Sarah's plot was the main plot and Renee and Ewan were the supporting characters. Ewan is good on his own but his scenes with Renee don't pop like the rest of the movie. It has incredible production design, art direction, costumes, hair and make up, score, and songs sharing a lot of the same tempo as 2007's Hairspray (the composer of this movie wrote the songs for Hairspray so the music definitely stands out). Interesting to see Peyton Reed direct this now with Antman out seeing his brand of humor. Definitely a lot of fun
½ June 2, 2015
Very underrated comedy - It manages to tribute while affectionately parodying comedies of the 60's - while working as a good comedy on its own terms.
April 11, 2015
Intentional camp is a tricky thing. The cast and artists behind the camera are doing their very best but it never really works. Watching an old Doris Day/Rock Hudson movie is more fun.
February 27, 2015
Jedan od mojih licnih favorita
January 8, 2015
Cute movie, I really liked it! Campy, silly and I loved the look of it.
½ November 29, 2014
Um filme me agradável com uma boa atuação do Ewan McGregor, e a Renes é uma fofa!
June 21, 2014
Tässä onnistuttiin parodioimaan 60-luvun hömppäkomedioita ihan hauskalla tavalla. :) (Suom. Vähät rakkaudesta)
April 20, 2014
Barbara Novak: We're acting just like two people... In love.

Down with love is a of those charming romantic comedies that you can recall on. The screenplay was very cheesy, including the ending. But it does have an interesting concept. "Battle of the Sexes". The theme is familiar, even though it shouldn't be. I say that it made a middling budget. But, it can catch some viewers by surprise. Older aged people can love this movie, they"ll enjoy more than others. The stars are great, but if their performances a pit together as a whole, it's not as good as it should be. Director Peyton Reed has only middling success as a director. But he uses slapstick sexual humor for laughs, and rarely any crude jokes. Movies that give you advice in the future are usually my favorite. This movie sure did give advice and gives a plentiful amount of wit with relationships. Usually, these comedies can only be enjoyed by older people. But I'm only 11 years old and it loved it. The leads could of been better, but they managed. Also, down with love has an ok dialogue. Overall, chemistry might been lacked, but that doesn't mean you won't enjoy it.
March 24, 2014
This was an overly flashy tribute to the Doris Day/ Rock Hudson films. Starts out cute and stylistic but quickly becomes a little too tongue and cheek. Renee was decently cast but Ewan McGregor could not have been a worse choice for a Hudson-esque leading man! Not only did I not find him the least attractive, but he's doesn't come close to fitting the bill as a tall, cool ladies man. He reminded me more of Zack Morris from Saved By The Bell, some mischievous, high school man on campus with bad skin and teeth. However, David Hyde Pierce was PERFECT as the Tony Randall type best friend, and there was even a Tony Randall cameo to boot! One of the biggest mistakes of the film was making Renee's character interested in loose sex. Anyone who has ever seen the Day-Hudson movies knows that Doris Day is always as pure as the wind driven snow. I would have liked to seen them keep with that theme rather than creating some twisted diabolical stalker out of her. Overall it was fun to keep an eye out for obvious tributes, but some things just didn't fit and I wasn't exactly sure what the reference was. OK at best...I'd rather watch the originals.
January 11, 2014
Enjoyable enough, with its style based on 1960s sex comedies. However, a few parts become too silly, and the over the top style and characters of the film grows tired after awhile.
December 29, 2013
I like most of this movie, but the ending is not great.
December 27, 2013
Such a cute, fun movie! Take it for what it is ... sit back, relax & enjoy the ride.
November 7, 2013
Way more fun than most films
October 7, 2013
A snazzy 50s style, sets this off to a great start with music to match. Mostly a cheeky look at the 50s TV shows that works for its unusual and quirky view. Music is a lot of fun all the way through adding to the costumes with wit and charm. Dancing and the singing add a depth to the laughter that will have you rolling around on a rug. A divine film for fans of the 50s era. Nibbles: White Cow Milkshake.
½ August 18, 2013
"Down with Love" has some delightful and addictive atmosphere that is magically enticing. WItty dialogue and 60s costumes take you away into a fairytale world. Without a doubt, the film has it's weeknesses. However, overall, I was positively surprised and will probably even watch it again, which I cannot say for many romcoms.
August 17, 2013
Even though this movie was extremely cheesy, I loved it. It's corny, entertaining, and overall a good movie to watch on a rainy day or when you're feeling down. Plus Ewan McGregor looks amazing,
August 12, 2013
Cute tandem that made me adore Renee and Ewan deeper than ever.....