Down With Love - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Down With Love Reviews

February 11, 2018
Charming and naive old style movie.
February 1, 2018
What a fun movie! I loved it right off. It looks so authentic that when my mother saw it she at first thought it was a movie from the 60's. I absolutely love the outfits. And the verbal banter is fast and sassy just like the old movies. Its a fun blast from the past!
November 30, 2017
Fun. Amusing. Full of sexual jokes that aren't over the top or disgusting.
½ October 21, 2017
I wanted to like this movie, but there's just so many things wrong with it. Firstly, the score is too loud and distracting. Secondly, the wink-wink, nudge-nudge tone gets old fast. Finally, it's one of those movies were both the male and female leads are despicable brutes. I know it sounds corny, but I wish romantic comedies were more charming than cynical.
August 18, 2017
Really like this flick, since I grew up on this type of 1960s rom-com, since my mom just loved them. Everything about this movie was so very true to form--the story, the music, the costumes and hairstyles, even the opening credits. The script was wonderfully well done, too, as were the split screens that were hilarious for their "dual action" in a way that no 60s film could have gotten away with back then. Whether it was meant to be or not, the casting of Sarah Paulson and David Hyde-Pierce as "lovers" was amusing as well, but only in hindsight and both seemed to enjoy playing the parts, too. Really funny and enjoyable!
May 24, 2017
I thought it was lots of fun, purposely dorky and totally making fun of the romance movies of the 60's. Music and clothes are fabulous, good girls night movie.
½ March 27, 2017
You know how the movie is going to end almost immediately. They could've cut an hour off the runtime because this movie will make you groan and make you hope for the end but it keeps going and going.
February 2, 2017
It's good movie to watch
½ January 1, 2017
Cute, playful style, all around not bad.
June 30, 2016
An homage to the old Rock Hudson/Doris Day films, but it does't quite measure up.
½ April 20, 2016
Absolutely adorable romantic comedy on gender equality and women's liberation and revelation and just pure old fashion romantics, with serious flirting, double entendres, good laughs and brilliant soundtrack. Zelweger, McGregor and Paulson are great but the king of the film is.... David Hyde Pierce. Seriously. And if you watch it, watch the credits too not to miss anything.
February 25, 2016
an impressively accurate homage of early Hollywood romantic comedies. It captures the tone and scene of humor and is more funny then some of the "classics". I also like how there were jokes that would have worked at the time and some jokes making fun of the time. Zellwiger and McGregor fit into these roles well. Not must see but not bad.
July 26, 2015
A really unique movie with great performances from Renee Zellweger, David Hyde Pierce, and mostly Sarah Paulson. I actually wished David and Sarah's plot was the main plot and Renee and Ewan were the supporting characters. Ewan is good on his own but his scenes with Renee don't pop like the rest of the movie. It has incredible production design, art direction, costumes, hair and make up, score, and songs sharing a lot of the same tempo as 2007's Hairspray (the composer of this movie wrote the songs for Hairspray so the music definitely stands out). Interesting to see Peyton Reed direct this now with Antman out seeing his brand of humor. Definitely a lot of fun
½ June 2, 2015
Very underrated comedy - It manages to tribute while affectionately parodying comedies of the 60's - while working as a good comedy on its own terms.
April 11, 2015
Intentional camp is a tricky thing. The cast and artists behind the camera are doing their very best but it never really works. Watching an old Doris Day/Rock Hudson movie is more fun.
February 27, 2015
Jedan od mojih licnih favorita
January 8, 2015
Cute movie, I really liked it! Campy, silly and I loved the look of it.
½ November 29, 2014
Um filme me agradável com uma boa atuação do Ewan McGregor, e a Renes é uma fofa!
June 21, 2014
Tässä onnistuttiin parodioimaan 60-luvun hömppäkomedioita ihan hauskalla tavalla. :) (Suom. Vähät rakkaudesta)
April 20, 2014
Barbara Novak: We're acting just like two people... In love.

Down with love is a of those charming romantic comedies that you can recall on. The screenplay was very cheesy, including the ending. But it does have an interesting concept. "Battle of the Sexes". The theme is familiar, even though it shouldn't be. I say that it made a middling budget. But, it can catch some viewers by surprise. Older aged people can love this movie, they"ll enjoy more than others. The stars are great, but if their performances a pit together as a whole, it's not as good as it should be. Director Peyton Reed has only middling success as a director. But he uses slapstick sexual humor for laughs, and rarely any crude jokes. Movies that give you advice in the future are usually my favorite. This movie sure did give advice and gives a plentiful amount of wit with relationships. Usually, these comedies can only be enjoyed by older people. But I'm only 11 years old and it loved it. The leads could of been better, but they managed. Also, down with love has an ok dialogue. Overall, chemistry might been lacked, but that doesn't mean you won't enjoy it.