Dream House - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dream House Reviews

September 25, 2016
Very smart film. Not what i expected it to be and i thought was very enjoyable. Just don't watch trailer though as ruins the twist.
September 17, 2016
this is a great movie. don't understand the bad reviews
August 16, 2016
Não assusta, não surpreende, não comove. O fato de ser dirigido por Jim Sheridan e ter Daniel Craig, Rachel Weisz e Naomi Watts no elenco não supera o desastre completo que é o roteiro. Um dos piores do ano, certamente.
½ August 8, 2016
Watchable, that's about it.
½ July 18, 2016
Dream house - like every other review says - is a mess. But I do have more to say.
Dream House could've been a pretty decent psychological thriller film.
The acting and direction was outstanding.
And I liked the idea. In every story, I always want the victim to be the bad guy without really knowing due to psycological issues. That might sound kind of crazy but I've seriously bee waiting for this kind of movie, and I'm not sure if it's original or not, but I like this story.
So there's a painter. The painter has a creative idea for a masterpiece. But the painter paints really bad.
This movie was poorly painted. It was an idea poorly put together, just like The Purge, and that messed up 2016 Batman/Superman movie.
Oh, and if you're still reading this - before you watch the movie - don't watch the trailer.
July 14, 2016
Decent flick - not as suspenseful as I thought it would be... but cool storyline and above average acting job. Decently written... if you're into low level suspense with a good story... this flick is for you.
July 8, 2016
Slow, but a few good twists.
June 27, 2016
It starts off intriguing and the twist I found somewhat unexpected but the film never does anything interesting with any of these elements and gets very convoluted at the end.
June 12, 2016
I have no idea why this has such a terrible rating on this site, I thought it was great.
June 11, 2016
I really liked this movie. I knew there was more to the story but did not see that coming.
May 29, 2016
I absolutely LOVED this film. One of the best thrillers I have seen in years. DON'T ruin it by watching a trailer, just watch the movie. Unbelievable and unexpected twists -- and I am a mystery thriller affiocionado.
May 7, 2016
This movie made me cry. It's not necessarily a thriller, no, it's more of a sweet psychotic trip about the interesting man. It shows how strong a father's love is and how strong a marriage should be, and even touches on justice. It's actually a beautiful story with a lot of suspense and thinking. I did roll out tears after the plot turned in the middle. This a story that will break your heart, and reality, but it shows you through one man's confusion between realities
April 8, 2016
Despite what critics think, this movie is so good but really ruined by a bad trailer, don't watch the trailer,
April 5, 2016
"Dream House" is a lifeless mess that offers no consistency, and ultimately falls far short from any goal it had in mind.

"Dream House" follows the story a middle aged man who quits his job as an editor in order to spend more time with his family. As he goes home, he attempt to settle his family into their new house. However, not everything is as it seems, as a certain tragedy starts to creep its way into the household. As things start to go array, he must piece together the puzzle of what is truly going on here, before confronting the horrors that await him.

To start, this is one of the most illogical and messy movies I've seen in a while. This movie is practically three separate ideas meshed into one film, but none of them strong enough to last for more than one act. The first act of this movie is this creepy thriller that opens the door to the mysteries that lie ahead. However, when the second act rolls around, we are blatantly told the exposition, taking away any freedom of creativity in our minds. The whole point of a movie like this is to let the audiences also decipher the puzzle as they go along, but the movie flat out tells you what's going on. But whatever, maybe this movie is more of a psychological drama, and how this one man will have to deal with the tragedies at stake. This proves to be false when the third act rolls around, resulting in some slasher-type film with a horrible twist that has no right being there in the first place. None of the movie's events flowed together, and in the end, solidified the fact that the director himself had no idea what this movie was about.

The screenplay was also downright abysmal, as it tried to be this smart, clever film with plenty of subtle actions, but it was none of that. The only thing it did alright was the fact that it established our main character, Will Atenton, as a loving family man. He has a great relationship with his family members, so that was nice to see. However, the movie does a horrible job of being subtle, as it flat out tells you what's going on about halfway through. None of the dialogue was particularly interesting, leaving you wondering what the point of this movie was.

When emotional scenes were going down, it was often supplied with bad writing, bad acting, and a lack of purpose. This movie failed on many levels, and was not only not able to affect me psychologically, but had no effect on me emotionally.

The worst part about this is the fact the it was obvious they tried. The director and the writer truly felt like they had a clear cut vision here, which they didn't. You can tell Daniel Craig also gave it his all, but in the end, the lack of a clear path was obvious, and nothing made sense in the end.

In the end, this movie was a complete train wreck. Not only do things not make sense in the end, but it was sloppy in every way. I recommend everyone to avoid watching this film, as it's nothing near a dream as its title may suggest.
½ February 6, 2016
Interesting, yet mind-boggling at the same time, this film won't necessarily give you chills, but it will definitely have your mind reeling.
February 2, 2016
Daniel Craig is good in the movie, but the overall structure is so convoluted I didn't know what was going on.
January 29, 2016
Story is blah but it's okay. Honestly the only reason to see it is for Daniel Craig.
December 21, 2015
So sad - but a really good film
November 25, 2015
This mess of a film has a few interesting elements but the stupid plot wants so badly to be convoluted that it forgets to be coherent or even plausible. And beware, the trailer gives away the entire movie, including the twists, which only proves that the people in charge of the marketing are complete imbeciles.