Drop Dead Fred - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Drop Dead Fred Reviews

August 19, 2017
best movie evererrrrru
April 22, 2017
I've always loved this movie. I've watched it since I was five and it still hasn't lost its charm
½ April 20, 2017
Well, that was weird. It's not a film made for kids (Though it is filled with silly humor). When Elizabeth loses her job, her boyfriend, her car, and her purse in one day she has what can only be described as an episode that brings back her long lost childhood imaginary friend Drop Dead Fred to wreck even more havoc, destruction and chaos in her life. The film tries to deal with adult issues and focuses on a goofy (and insufferable) character from a kids film. Yeah, it's not for kids but is also way too juvenile at times to be fully for adults. It's an interesting, well-meaning mess. The film is made much better if you watch it as an exploration of one person's severe mental disorder/ breakdown
½ April 20, 2017
Very enjoyable, not the best movie I've ever seen however.
April 6, 2017
Playful and fun. Rik Mayall is entertaining as an imaginary friend. (First viewing - In my early twenties)
½ March 11, 2017
When the first line of a movie is and I quote " what a pile of shit!" coming from a little girls mouth straight to her mothers face, you can most likely tell that the movie will indeed be a pile of shit. But calling it that wouldn't be much of a review so let us analyze this foul specimen. So the premise of the movie, so that little foul mouth girl 21 years later now played by Phoebe Cates, is now a an unassertive and repressed woman who happens to loose her husband, job, and her sanity all in one day, as she bumps into a childhood friend who reminds her of the imaginary friend she had as a child.
The imaginary friend is the loud, obnoxious, unfunny, rude, redundant monstrosity known as Fred! Fred's influence begins to grow on Phoebe Cates character and causes her to act out more and more, for example calling her overbearing mother a "Bitch", laughing loudly for no reason at the most inappropriate of times, sinks her best friends boat house, etc. So basically what this film is saying to its audience is that you can do what ever the hell you want and take no responsibility for your actions, because hey you aren't in control of your actions, your imaginary friend is. Try this in real life, try robbing a bank, then when your caught tell the cops it was your imaginary friends fault and watch how quickly you are laughed at and sent to an institution for the rest of your pitiful life.

Oh yes I almost forgot, this is a comedy! Let me just tell you right up front that the jokes are the most obnoxious and horrendously unfunny jokes you will ever here in your entire life for example, Fred peaks under Cates moms skirt and replies with "cobwebs" you get it because she's old and that means her vagina has dust and spiderwebs in it? It's like these jokes were written by a 13 year old during a sex education class not by actual Hollywood writers. What a waste of an hour and forty-eight minutes. Oh and I'll do you a favor a spoil the ending for you because it is just one last turd crumb on the already huge pile of absolute crap, so basically Phoebe Cates finally rids herself of her imaginary pain in the ass and finds out a little girl now has Fred as her imaginary friend as she laughs maniacally oddly enough causing Phoebe Cates to give a warm hearted smile rather than run the hell away! Wow I'm glad I didn't pay to see this in theaters, thank god I wasn't born yet.

Overall the characters are all terribly unlikable and aggravating, the jokes are abominable and juvenile, the story doesn't know were it wants to go, the ending gives off the complete opposite tone it was going for, and it gets 0 stars! Because it's a piece of cinematic shit
March 2, 2017
Pure unadulterated silliness.
February 6, 2017
Still holds up. Some of the effects wear a little and some of the subjects are a little dour, but it's still tons of fun.
December 29, 2016
A great zany and to be frank completely off the wall comedy. Drop dead fred is a family comedy that pushes the boundaries of the term family. Starring rik mayall as the imaginary friend. Drop dead fred is a chaotic, hyper active, hilarious comedy with mayall giving it his all and making this film a entertaining 90 minutes.
November 24, 2016
Was a childhood favorite of mine... and holds up fairly well, if you don't count a few bad CGI moments.
October 18, 2016
Love this movie!! Hilarious. Make me cry laughing every time!
September 30, 2016
Really holds up. Liked it as a kid, love it now. RIP Rik Mayall.
½ May 30, 2016
ive seen it before but I dont actually kno how to watch movie
May 28, 2016
When my daughters were children we sat together and watched this movie and it remains a favourite. Its Peter Pan, the boy that never grew up, on speed, who allows a young women to fight against conformity and middleclass expectations.
As kids my children thought Fred was on their side against boring adults, I as a an adult enjoyed the slapstick as well and we all cried at the end.
I watched again today, and laughed out loud. I can understand why some people would find it disturbing, I actually think it was ahead of its time, it handles adult themes in a way that a child can relate too, bullying, pressure from adults and Fred defeats them with mud pies, throwing food and giving you a bad hair cut. So long live Fred and a huge fart to the critics.
May 24, 2016
Re-watching this after 20+ years I still like it. Technically it doesn't hold up, feels quite dated, but emotionally it still connects. Despite its messy storyline and low production value I'm glad I bought it, cause it could still make me laugh which is what this movie was all about.The DVD cover said it was for twelve years and over which is retarded, I watched this when I was nine, with no ill effect. That I know of...
½ May 23, 2016
A sophomoric, ill-conceived insult to children and the mentally unstable.
April 27, 2016
ohhhhhh man drop dead Fred so dang funny mannn this movie so funny
½ April 15, 2016
Why does everyone seem to hate this movie? I've loved this movie since I was a kid and I will definitely be introducing this to my kids in the future.. Don't believe the others when they tell you it was bad. Watch it for yourself, you will love it. Rik Mayell was amazing as Fred. One of my favorite scenes is the part where Fred sinks a houseboat. There are so many good quotes from this movie.
April 6, 2016
People may hate this movie, but I love it. It made me tear up at the end.
March 30, 2016
I loved this movie ad a kid. still my favorite