Drop Dead Fred - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Drop Dead Fred Reviews

November 24, 2016
Was a childhood favorite of mine... and holds up fairly well, if you don't count a few bad CGI moments.
October 18, 2016
Love this movie!! Hilarious. Make me cry laughing every time!
September 30, 2016
Really holds up. Liked it as a kid, love it now. RIP Rik Mayall.
½ June 8, 2016
When the first line of a movie is and I quote " what a pile of shit!" coming from a little girls mouth straight to her mothers face, you can most likely tell that the movie will indeed be a pile of shit. But calling it that wouldn't be much of a review so let us analyze this foul specimen. So the premise of the movie, so that little foul mouth girl 21 years later now played by Phoebe Cates, is now a an unassertive and repressed woman who happens to loose her husband, job, and her sanity all in one day, as she bumps into a childhood friend who reminds her of the imaginary friend she had as a child.
The imaginary friend is the loud, obnoxious, unfunny, rude, redundant monstrosity known as Fred! Fred's influence begins to grow on Phoebe Cates character and causes her to act out more and more, for example calling her overbearing mother a "Bitch", laughing loudly for no reason at the most inappropriate of times, sinks her best friends boat house, etc. So basically what this film is saying to its audience is that you can do what ever the hell you want and take no responsibility for your actions, because hey you aren't in control of your actions, your imaginary friend is. Try this in real life, try robbing a bank, then when your caught tell the cops it was your imaginary friends fault and watch how quickly you are laughed at and sent to an institution for the rest of your pitiful life.

Oh yes I almost forgot, this is a comedy! Let me just tell you right up front that the jokes are the most obnoxious and horrendously unfunny jokes you will ever here in your entire life for example, Fred peaks under Cates moms skirt and replies with "cobwebs" you get it because she's old and that means her vagina has dust and spiderwebs in it? Its like these jokes were written by a 13 year old during a sex education class not by actual Hollywood writers. What a waste of an hour and forty-eight minutes. Oh and I'll do you a favor a spoil the ending for you because it is just one last turd crumb on the already huge pile of absolute crap, so basically Phoebe Cates finally rids herself of her imaginary pain in the ass and finds out a little girl now has Fred as her imaginary friend as she laughs maniacally oddly enough causing Phoebe Cates to give a warm hearted smile rather than run the hell away! Wow I'm glad I didn't pay to see this in theaters, thank god I wasn't born yet.

Overall the characters are all terribly unlikable and aggravating, the jokes are abominable and juvenile, the story doesn't know were it wants to go, the ending gives off the complete opposite tone it was going for, and it gets 0 stars! Because it's a piece of cinematic s#!+.!
½ May 30, 2016
ive seen it before but I dont actually kno how to watch movie
May 28, 2016
When my daughters were children we sat together and watched this movie and it remains a favourite. Its Peter Pan, the boy that never grew up, on speed, who allows a young women to fight against conformity and middleclass expectations.
As kids my children thought Fred was on their side against boring adults, I as a an adult enjoyed the slapstick as well and we all cried at the end.
I watched again today, and laughed out loud. I can understand why some people would find it disturbing, I actually think it was ahead of its time, it handles adult themes in a way that a child can relate too, bullying, pressure from adults and Fred defeats them with mud pies, throwing food and giving you a bad hair cut. So long live Fred and a huge fart to the critics.
May 24, 2016
Re-watching this after 20+ years I still like it. Technically it doesn't hold up, feels quite dated, but emotionally it still connects. Despite its messy storyline and low production value I'm glad I bought it, cause it could still make me laugh which is what this movie was all about.The DVD cover said it was for twelve years and over which is retarded, I watched this when I was nine, with no ill effect. That I know of...
½ May 23, 2016
A sophomoric, ill-conceived insult to children and the mentally unstable.
April 27, 2016
ohhhhhh man drop dead Fred so dang funny mannn this movie so funny
½ April 15, 2016
Why does everyone seem to hate this movie? I've loved this movie since I was a kid and I will definitely be introducing this to my kids in the future.. Don't believe the others when they tell you it was bad. Watch it for yourself, you will love it. Rik Mayell was amazing as Fred. One of my favorite scenes is the part where Fred sinks a houseboat. There are so many good quotes from this movie.
April 6, 2016
People may hate this movie, but I love it. It made me tear up at the end.
March 30, 2016
I loved this movie ad a kid. still my favorite
March 27, 2016
I haven't seen this film since Years 6-8 over 25 Years ago so the humor and the film is dated but is still enjoyable. A film of Discovery, a deep story that has meaning that will hit you at the end it will come full circle. its the emotions that the lead character that has been repressed since childhood from years of having a mother that is overly the top and monster like, and a family unit that has ended in divorce. Fred has come back because the repression of the past has come back to haunt Liz, Liz has been forced back to mothers house to stay in her old room where she hasn't stayed in since she was young the mothers house is symbolic as it demonstrates a turbulent past when Fred and Liz last met she was very young and with childish attitude is where the current meeting with Fred was left off with childish ideas and Lizs constant child flash backs thoughts on the past brings havoc and her manipulation to the present. the two adult problems in her life her overbearing mother and her ex husband Charles and to lesser a extent her close friend has caused Fred to manipulate Liz's body and hands and Liz has instigated Fred into doing the opposite to rebel against her mother who influenced her new hair style, her Mothers clean carpet and now to destroy it with mud, the jealously against her best friend owning a houseboat and chasing the white rabbit "Charles" gets her nowhere and you can see that sinking the houseboat (with allot of anger) was payback for trying to get Liz back with Charles and can also be symbol of a marriage is like sinking ship. Everything in the movie is Symbolic and its only at the end of the film her true love boy friend that was locked away from her when she was young comes back to save Liz from her madness, even thou he mysteriously pops up in the beginning when Liz loses her job somehow something more unearthly than Fred has caused her past to come back to bite and he was there thru out he film trying to win Liz back such as at the Italian restaurant she kinda ignores his lust for her by instigating Fred to end the close relations only to make him more love her and he is pushed away by Lizs over the top Mother when he comes to visit her at her Mothers house, Liz only uses him as tool to get back with Charles, as he drives her to Charles dinner party but Fred has other plans knowing that the relations between Liz are Charles are moot she uses Fred as a excuse to get of Charles dinner party and I think Liz knew this from the beginning that's why Fred has come back he is a symbol to create havoc, companionship, to entertain in her unstable time of life. The only way is for her to discover the only way Fred will drop dead (Go away) if she goes deep into her inner self and (like in the Film What about Bob?) untie herself from her current problems she is like ticking time bomb once she has mastered this, her life will begin to change, and the green pills fed in to Liz symbolizes what society wants to do push the pills that don't solve the problem, Fred doesn't go away when she takes the pills he just gets more adult like with his thoughts and actions and it shows the pills do not solve the inner problem which our lead actress eventually does. The Mud Pie symbolizes when her father left the family and Charles who left her, it wasn't Fred that made the pie it was Liz paying back Charles for him leaving her for another woman. Fred at one point of the film only for less than a minute behaves like a real adult this is the part where I think Liz starts to think with clarity and deep down Liz feels Fred was more than a imaginary friend but a fiancÚ with the final kiss with Fred her only imaginary friend that she could never have in reality, but the ending goes full circle as Fred is transferred on to another closer to home child which makes this film an Excellent film very deep.
December 10, 2015
I think it's a kids movie, but it has pretty bad morals if that's the case! Sure, all's well that ends well, but it just seems to encourage bad behaviour! Not very many funny moments, with most of it being juvenile snot/bodily function humour. Needed more Carrie Fisher!
October 26, 2015
Critics are being too harsh on this movie. It's a great film, and it's heart is in the right place.
July 12, 2015
I want to see this movie with my daughter because when I was a lil girl I loved it and I know she will also
July 7, 2015
Fun but perplexing movie....is it a screwball comedy (with a manic performance from the late, great Rik Mayall), or a commentary on the long-term effects of childhood emotional abuse (the sweet but psychologically damaged Phoebe Cates)?
April 27, 2015
watched this all the time when I was little
½ April 24, 2015
I HATE this movie. It's cast is annoying. It's plot is annoying. It's enough to send anyone "postal worker".
March 19, 2015
pretty cool movie I like it