Ed Wood - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ed Wood Reviews

July 23, 2017
1994's Pulp Fiction Is My Seventh Favorite Film Of All Time.
½ July 19, 2017
Johnny Depp is a really good actor, but this is Horrible movie.
½ July 18, 2017
Arguably Burton's best film, one that succeeds in rounded portrayals and engaging performances. It tones down the Burton aspects to make the comedy funny and the drama real. Ed Wood captures the earnestness of the titular subject perfectly.
July 15, 2017
A wonderful fun movie delving deep into one of the weirdest directors to ever make movies.
July 13, 2017
A wonderful and whimsical tribute to the love of art, filmmaking and writing. It would be an inspirational piece on believing in yourself - if not for the movie's ultimate pessimism. Johnny Depp and Tim Burton's most mature and ambitious effort to date.

Why do we keep creating art, even when the world tells us to stop? Because it's the only thing we know how to do! Tim Burton's tribute to the worst filmmaker of all time is not a parody. It is an homage to a filmmaker whose talent wasn't missing-it was just alien. There is something inspiring about a filmmaker who is willing to destroy his career to create something he believes in. Like Tod Browning's Freaks (another memorable film) Edward D. Wood Jr.'s films were less about creating entertainment, and more about a troubled artist working through his issues through the magic of cinema. There's something even more inspiring about Tim Burton getting the point of Ed Wood's life and making a poignant biopic about it.

What I Learned: Really helped me to understand that the process of writing, art, and creating is the real joy in life. Orson Welles started at the top and worked his way to the bottom. Ed Wood worked himself to the bottom and lower to the basement. But he never lost the joy of his art. He was bulletproof and had an unquenchable optimism that was strong enough to survive criticism, mockery, and postmodern love-mockery. Regardless of whether his movies sucked or not, Ed Wood was an artist. Because an artist creates art until he dies, and he enjoys every thankless moment of it.
½ May 2, 2017
I certainly would not agree that this is the best film Burton's ever made, but it sure is one of his best. By telling the story of a man who is misunderstood and constantly fails at what he believes is his life's purpose, he creates a very entertaining, funny film that conveys a message and is as close to "supernatural" as gore is to a G-rated film. The dialogue is also very well written, and, while not as strong as some of his other films, it goes to show that sometimes "based-on-a-true-story" films can be considerably impressive, along with being funny and (surprisingly) intriguing.
April 26, 2017
A very funny movie with a wholly original atmosphere. Johnny Depp gives an excellent performance as the eccentric Edward D. Wood Jr. and the supporting cast is entirely great as well. And although the real Ed Wood's films never turned out very well, his behind the scenes stories have made for Tim Burton's best film to date.
½ March 24, 2017
Quirky and light heated as well as engaging, allowing you to sympathise with the main character.
March 11, 2017
This is an absolutely phenomenal film based off the notoriously bad cross-dressing director Ed wood who made campy cheap cheeseball films in the 50's. The film is filmed in ravishing black and white, which of course is a tribute to the era of Ed wood. Johnny deep is great as the eccentric fruity title character and actually makes you have more appreciation for Ed wood's work. Another beautiful performance is Martin Landau as horror icon Bela Lugosi. Landau not only is spot on but also actually, creates a very complex and emotionally driving portrayal of Lugosi that makes it much more than any old impersonation, I didn't see an actor playing Lugosi, I saw Lugosi himself in this performance and I think this is something truly magical about this film. I think this is one of the films everybody should be required to see! I consider this Tim Burtons best work! 5/5 stars
March 11, 2017
Really, really enjoyed this. One of my favorite movies as a kid. The casting is spot on and I live how the film is in b & w. Might be my favorite Burton flick.
Grade - B
Johnny Depp shines in Tim Burton's 'Ed Wood', a biopic of the notoriously bad director of the same name. Despite some pacing issues and a lack of focus throughout, the film supports plenty of style, a good script and some excellent performances.
February 1, 2017
You can feel the passion that Burton has for the source material in every scene. Part biographical, part love letter, part commentary on friendship and family, it all combines into what could arguably be called Tim Burton's best work ever, were it not for Big Fish.
½ January 30, 2017
With beautiful and fitting black and white photography, possibly the best direction from Tim Burton yet and great performances from Johnny Depp and Martin Landau, Ed Wood benefited from obviously being made with a lot care and it has such phenomenal dialogue and that along with such a stellar script led to a great humor with a lot of the lines being absolutely hilarious. But it also succeeds as a drama as some scenes are poignant and dramatic. It is a wonderful, truly great film that is one of the director's best and also one of the finest biopics that I have ever seen.
January 2, 2017
This is such an underrated classic. If you have any interest in film, it is a must see.
December 18, 2016
A personal favorite, this film is a inspirational tale of the so called "worst director of all time" who is also the definition of what a cult filmmaker is. Also with a great script, great performances (most notably Johnny Depp and Martin Landau) and great direction, Ed Wood is a must-watch for anyone who is truly passionate and want to follow their dreams (particularly filmmaking)
November 21, 2016
This movie is phenomenal, everything about it is absolutely brilliant.
September 10, 2016
Everyone who has ever mad a film or wanted to make a film needs to watch this. You will instantly sympathize with Johnny Deep's partial of Ed Wood, the notorious director of what are often referred to as the worst movies ever. His passion is unparalleled, but his technical ability is far behind what he can muster. It makes for both tragic and truly hilarious moments. No one but Burton could have made this film. It stands as a love letter to its name sake, to old 50's scifi, and anyone who loves and tries or tried to make movies. Bravo, everyone in this movie deserves a big pat on the back.
September 8, 2016
Leave it to Tim Burton to direct a film about the "wackiest" filmmaker of all time. But in all seriousness, Ed Wood may very well be the best directing job of Burton's career. It's funny, strange, and rapidly paced. Burton deserves credit.

I really love when movies take place within the world of filmmaking, especially during the 1950's. It was just an interesting time to be involved in the film business. Perhaps nobody more interesting than Edward D. Wood Jr. Although apparently much of the film's details were made up for the movie itself, it's hard not to get a kick out of Wood's story. A man stumbles himself into Hollywood with little to no experience, and manages to garner decent budgets to make multiple films, that's Hollywood 101.

One of Burton's greatest qualities is the ability to develop a great journey for the characters. Ed Wood has a clear beginning, middle, and end, but it's the stuff along the way that makes for the most entertainment. The sheer absurdity of Wood's story is really where Burton tends to bring out his best work. Watching a man without any real talent as a filmmaker plow his way through studio executives and convince actors to join him in his quest makes it all the more amazing. I mean come on, this guy compares himself to Citizen Kane on multiple occasions.

As for the performances, there's almost too many good ones to mention. Johnny Depp, in his second Burton feature, begins to show exactly why he's one of this generation's greatest talents. He easily could have been nominated for an Oscar here. It's also the first real time he played such a uniquely strange character, something he's got himself stuck into doing these days. Martin Landau, who did win an Oscar for his turn as Bela Lugosi, is what makes this film work so well. It can get tiresome watching Wood's undeserved success, but Landau works so impeccably well as a drugged up Lugosi. I couldn't have imagined someone better in that role.

The rest of the cast and crew also deserve credit, mostly for succeeding in making such a strangely delicious film. After a while, you begin to go along with the joke of Wood's career. And to look up and see that there's still plenty that isn't falsified makes it all the better.

+Unique characters and story

+Movie about movies

+Burton's tight directing

8.0/10
½ September 2, 2016
What an odd, quirky movie. Now, normally I wouldn't be into the weird, quirky comedies that would appeal to a more "hipster-ish" crowd. For example, I really did not like The Grand Budapest Hotel with all it's ... quirks. But Ed Wood is a great movie! Tim Burton plus great performances from Johnny Depp and Martin Landau and some great laughs all in a movie about making movies. I really can't put into words of how wonderfully charming this film is. Johnny Depp just has this innocence to him that makes you really sympathize with him. He makes absolutely terrible films but damn it, he deserves another shot! All the other characters get a ton of laughs and the world Tim Burton creates is a real unique one. Overall, if you are a film maker this is a must watch. If you consider yourself "quirky", give this one a shot.
August 17, 2016
As odd, bizarre and fascinating as the man who inspired it. Ed Wood is one of the best films about film making ever made. It could have easily done a cheap deprecating trash piece on Ed Wood and his legacy. But rather it paints a heartfelt, funny and compelling story about a man desperate to be remembered as a director of the art of cinema. And to be fair that's exactly what he got, for better or worse.