Ed Wood - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ed Wood Reviews

May 26, 2018
Ed Wood is a movie way ahead of its time, with gorgeous aesthetic and a great script.
May 25, 2018
Perfect representation of Lugosi and Wood, nothing more to say except this : the best movie of Burton, the less "Burton" ad that's why a non-fan of him can love Ed Wood
½ May 24, 2018
Superb biopic.

Ed Wood is widely regarded as the maker of some of the worst movies of all time. Plan 9 From Outer Space is a frequent contender for THE Worst Movie of all Time. This is the story of Ed Wood.

Superb biopic, directed by Tim Burton and starring Johnny Depp as Ed Wood. The Burton-Depp combination is critical to the brilliance of this movie. My most accounts Wood was an eccentric character and who better to direct a movie on such a man than Tim Burton and who better to play him than Johnny Depp.

The finished product is quite wonderful in its portrayal of Wood. For all the criticism he faces as a director, he remains naively, serenely optimistic in the quality of his films. While his qualities as an artist can be faulted, his enthusiasm and perseverance cannot.

Great homage to an underestimated, misunderstood devotee of the silver screen.
½ May 12, 2018
An honestly true and laughable life story.
May 6, 2018
put a wig on him..

Ed Wood

There are few laughs here and there drawn out from witty lines and amusing characters despite of resonating a lot to the practicality of the nature. A smart adaptation by Scott and Larry from Rudolph Grey's book is not only funny but edited perfectly too. Tim Burton as always excels in execution but this one was quite exciting to encounter since this wasn't one of his sketchy created world that he normally walks on. Ed Wood works great on terms of craft that one can explore into but it also offers the audience very little to hold onto on terms of entertainment.
½ April 4, 2018
I recently sat through PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE; therefore seeing this 1994 black and white blockbuster aroused my interest. Back when I was fifteen years old, something like this obviously didn't appeal to me, but now that I'm all grown up and have a clandestine Pen-name fanbase for cult movies, Ed Wood's legacy for being the worst director of all time, called for my attention. Clearly back in 1994, a documentary project such as this was considered very stylish and innovative, yet despite an All-Star cast of colorful actors, I had a difficult time enjoying the humdrum vibe that's usually outfitted to most of these 1990s megahits.
December 27, 2017
Tim Burton decides to take a break from the all-out crazy stuff he usually makes, and makes this noir-style biographical film about practically the worst director ever to come into existence. It's pretty funny how Burton does a better job directing than Wood, but still, Burton's depiction of Wood's so-called "career" in the movie business is executed really well. This movie is also fueled by a handsome, yet quirky Johnny Depp as Wood, and a creepy, yet hilarious Martin Landau as the iconic Bela Lugosi. This movie doesn't have a hint of color because it takes place in the Fifties, and all of Wood's films were in black and white, which makes perfect sense. This is a great film, even for filmmakers to watch, and I would suggest watching it over and over again. That way, filmmakers learn how to properly direct, rather than pulling, no pun intended, an Ed Wood.
December 24, 2017
top 10 all time movie for me.
December 14, 2017
Truly one of the great biographical films, Ed Wood is a roller-coaster of emotion. The story of Edward D. Wood Jr. is a rather tragic tale in Hollywood, yet, there is so much to take away from it. I have always believed that this film is truly one of Johnny Depp's most underrated roles.
November 16, 2017
One of the greatest films about filmmaking ever made, told from the heartwarming and heart-wrenching perspective of one of its (alleged) worst progenitors.
½ October 22, 2017
Ed Wood is fascinating, well acted and quirky movie. Johnny Depp gives a great performance and Tim Burton brilliantly directs the film. It is certainly strange, but also well worth a watch.
½ September 24, 2017
IMO Depp's best performance. Film is ridiculously underrated and better than many of the top films of 1994.
½ September 24, 2017
Johnny Deep played Ed Wood well enough to give me some interest in looking to watch Plan Nine From Outerspace just to see how bad it really was
September 8, 2017
A very funny movie with a wholly original atmosphere. Johnny Depp gives an excellent performance as the eccentric Edward D. Wood Jr. and the supporting cast is entirely great as well. And although the real Ed Wood's films never turned out very well, his behind the scenes stories have made for Tim Burton's best film to date.
August 10, 2017
Tim Burton and Depp at his best.
½ August 2, 2017
Didn't rewatch so fudging the rating, had the VHS
July 23, 2017
1994's Pulp Fiction Is My Seventh Favorite Film Of All Time.
½ July 19, 2017
Johnny Depp is a really good actor, but this is Horrible movie.
½ July 18, 2017
Arguably Burton's best film, one that succeeds in rounded portrayals and engaging performances. It tones down the Burton aspects to make the comedy funny and the drama real. Ed Wood captures the earnestness of the titular subject perfectly.
July 15, 2017
A wonderful fun movie delving deep into one of the weirdest directors to ever make movies.