Ed Wood - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ed Wood Reviews

½ April 4, 2018
I recently sat through PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE; therefore seeing this 1994 black and white blockbuster aroused my interest. Back when I was fifteen years old, something like this obviously didn't appeal to me, but now that I'm all grown up and have a clandestine Pen-name fanbase for cult movies, Ed Wood's legacy for being the worst director of all time, called for my attention. Clearly back in 1994, a documentary project such as this was considered very stylish and innovative, yet despite an All-Star cast of colorful actors, I had a difficult time enjoying the humdrum vibe that's usually outfitted to most of these 1990s megahits.
December 27, 2017
Tim Burton decides to take a break from the all-out crazy stuff he usually makes, and makes this noir-style biographical film about practically the worst director ever to come into existence. It's pretty funny how Burton does a better job directing than Wood, but still, Burton's depiction of Wood's so-called "career" in the movie business is executed really well. This movie is also fueled by a handsome, yet quirky Johnny Depp as Wood, and a creepy, yet hilarious Martin Landau as the iconic Bela Lugosi. This movie doesn't have a hint of color because it takes place in the Fifties, and all of Wood's films were in black and white, which makes perfect sense. This is a great film, even for filmmakers to watch, and I would suggest watching it over and over again. That way, filmmakers learn how to properly direct, rather than pulling, no pun intended, an Ed Wood.
December 24, 2017
top 10 all time movie for me.
December 14, 2017
Truly one of the great biographical films, Ed Wood is a roller-coaster of emotion. The story of Edward D. Wood Jr. is a rather tragic tale in Hollywood, yet, there is so much to take away from it. I have always believed that this film is truly one of Johnny Depp's most underrated roles.
November 16, 2017
One of the greatest films about filmmaking ever made, told from the heartwarming and heart-wrenching perspective of one of its (alleged) worst progenitors.
½ October 22, 2017
Ed Wood is fascinating, well acted and quirky movie. Johnny Depp gives a great performance and Tim Burton brilliantly directs the film. It is certainly strange, but also well worth a watch.
½ September 24, 2017
IMO Depp's best performance. Film is ridiculously underrated and better than many of the top films of 1994.
½ September 24, 2017
Johnny Deep played Ed Wood well enough to give me some interest in looking to watch Plan Nine From Outerspace just to see how bad it really was
September 8, 2017
A very funny movie with a wholly original atmosphere. Johnny Depp gives an excellent performance as the eccentric Edward D. Wood Jr. and the supporting cast is entirely great as well. And although the real Ed Wood's films never turned out very well, his behind the scenes stories have made for Tim Burton's best film to date.
August 10, 2017
Tim Burton and Depp at his best.
½ August 2, 2017
Didn't rewatch so fudging the rating, had the VHS
July 23, 2017
1994's Pulp Fiction Is My Seventh Favorite Film Of All Time.
½ July 19, 2017
Johnny Depp is a really good actor, but this is Horrible movie.
½ July 18, 2017
Arguably Burton's best film, one that succeeds in rounded portrayals and engaging performances. It tones down the Burton aspects to make the comedy funny and the drama real. Ed Wood captures the earnestness of the titular subject perfectly.
July 15, 2017
A wonderful fun movie delving deep into one of the weirdest directors to ever make movies.
July 13, 2017
A wonderful and whimsical tribute to the love of art, filmmaking and writing. It would be an inspirational piece on believing in yourself - if not for the movie's ultimate pessimism. Johnny Depp and Tim Burton's most mature and ambitious effort to date.

Why do we keep creating art, even when the world tells us to stop? Because it's the only thing we know how to do! Tim Burton's tribute to the worst filmmaker of all time is not a parody. It is an homage to a filmmaker whose talent wasn't missing-it was just alien. There is something inspiring about a filmmaker who is willing to destroy his career to create something he believes in. Like Tod Browning's Freaks (another memorable film) Edward D. Wood Jr.'s films were less about creating entertainment, and more about a troubled artist working through his issues through the magic of cinema. There's something even more inspiring about Tim Burton getting the point of Ed Wood's life and making a poignant biopic about it.

What I Learned: Really helped me to understand that the process of writing, art, and creating is the real joy in life. Orson Welles started at the top and worked his way to the bottom. Ed Wood worked himself to the bottom and lower to the basement. But he never lost the joy of his art. He was bulletproof and had an unquenchable optimism that was strong enough to survive criticism, mockery, and postmodern love-mockery. Regardless of whether his movies sucked or not, Ed Wood was an artist. Because an artist creates art until he dies, and he enjoys every thankless moment of it.
½ May 2, 2017
I certainly would not agree that this is the best film Burton's ever made, but it sure is one of his best. By telling the story of a man who is misunderstood and constantly fails at what he believes is his life's purpose, he creates a very entertaining, funny film that conveys a message and is as close to "supernatural" as gore is to a G-rated film. The dialogue is also very well written, and, while not as strong as some of his other films, it goes to show that sometimes "based-on-a-true-story" films can be considerably impressive, along with being funny and (surprisingly) intriguing.
½ March 24, 2017
Quirky and light heated as well as engaging, allowing you to sympathise with the main character.
March 11, 2017
This is an absolutely phenomenal film based off the notoriously bad cross-dressing director Ed wood who made campy cheap cheeseball films in the 50's. The film is filmed in ravishing black and white, which of course is a tribute to the era of Ed wood. Johnny deep is great as the eccentric fruity title character and actually makes you have more appreciation for Ed wood's work. Another beautiful performance is Martin Landau as horror icon Bela Lugosi. Landau not only is spot on but also actually, creates a very complex and emotionally driving portrayal of Lugosi that makes it much more than any old impersonation, I didn't see an actor playing Lugosi, I saw Lugosi himself in this performance and I think this is something truly magical about this film. I think this is one of the films everybody should be required to see! I consider this Tim Burtons best work! 5/5 stars
March 11, 2017
Really, really enjoyed this. One of my favorite movies as a kid. The casting is spot on and I live how the film is in b & w. Might be my favorite Burton flick.