Ed Wood - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ed Wood Reviews

½ March 24, 2017
Quirky and light heated as well as engaging, allowing you to sympathise with the main character.
March 11, 2017
This is an absolutely phenomenal film based off the notoriously bad cross-dressing director Ed wood who made campy cheap cheeseball films in the 50's. The film is filmed in ravishing black and white, which of course is a tribute to the era of Ed wood. Johnny deep is great as the eccentric fruity title character and actually makes you have more appreciation for Ed wood's work. Another beautiful performance is Martin Landau as horror icon Bela Lugosi. Landau not only is spot on but also actually, creates a very complex and emotionally driving portrayal of Lugosi that makes it much more than any old impersonation, I didn't see an actor playing Lugosi, I saw Lugosi himself in this performance and I think this is something truly magical about this film. I think this is one of the films everybody should be required to see! I consider this Tim Burtons best work! 5/5 stars
March 11, 2017
Really, really enjoyed this. One of my favorite movies as a kid. The casting is spot on and I live how the film is in b & w. Might be my favorite Burton flick.
Grade - B
Johnny Depp shines in Tim Burton's 'Ed Wood', a biopic of the notoriously bad director of the same name. Despite some pacing issues and a lack of focus throughout, the film supports plenty of style, a good script and some excellent performances.
February 1, 2017
You can feel the passion that Burton has for the source material in every scene. Part biographical, part love letter, part commentary on friendship and family, it all combines into what could arguably be called Tim Burton's best work ever, were it not for Big Fish.
½ January 30, 2017
With beautiful and fitting black and white photography, possibly the best direction from Tim Burton yet and great performances from Johnny Depp and Martin Landau, Ed Wood benefited from obviously being made with a lot care and it has such phenomenal dialogue and that along with such a stellar script led to a great humor with a lot of the lines being absolutely hilarious. But it also succeeds as a drama as some scenes are poignant and dramatic. It is a wonderful, truly great film that is one of the director's best and also one of the finest biopics that I have ever seen.
January 2, 2017
This is such an underrated classic. If you have any interest in film, it is a must see.
December 18, 2016
A personal favorite, this film is a inspirational tale of the so called "worst director of all time" who is also the definition of what a cult filmmaker is. Also with a great script, great performances (most notably Johnny Depp and Martin Landau) and great direction, Ed Wood is a must-watch for anyone who is truly passionate and want to follow their dreams (particularly filmmaking)
November 21, 2016
This movie is phenomenal, everything about it is absolutely brilliant.
September 10, 2016
Everyone who has ever mad a film or wanted to make a film needs to watch this. You will instantly sympathize with Johnny Deep's partial of Ed Wood, the notorious director of what are often referred to as the worst movies ever. His passion is unparalleled, but his technical ability is far behind what he can muster. It makes for both tragic and truly hilarious moments. No one but Burton could have made this film. It stands as a love letter to its name sake, to old 50's scifi, and anyone who loves and tries or tried to make movies. Bravo, everyone in this movie deserves a big pat on the back.
September 8, 2016
Leave it to Tim Burton to direct a film about the "wackiest" filmmaker of all time. But in all seriousness, Ed Wood may very well be the best directing job of Burton's career. It's funny, strange, and rapidly paced. Burton deserves credit.

I really love when movies take place within the world of filmmaking, especially during the 1950's. It was just an interesting time to be involved in the film business. Perhaps nobody more interesting than Edward D. Wood Jr. Although apparently much of the film's details were made up for the movie itself, it's hard not to get a kick out of Wood's story. A man stumbles himself into Hollywood with little to no experience, and manages to garner decent budgets to make multiple films, that's Hollywood 101.

One of Burton's greatest qualities is the ability to develop a great journey for the characters. Ed Wood has a clear beginning, middle, and end, but it's the stuff along the way that makes for the most entertainment. The sheer absurdity of Wood's story is really where Burton tends to bring out his best work. Watching a man without any real talent as a filmmaker plow his way through studio executives and convince actors to join him in his quest makes it all the more amazing. I mean come on, this guy compares himself to Citizen Kane on multiple occasions.

As for the performances, there's almost too many good ones to mention. Johnny Depp, in his second Burton feature, begins to show exactly why he's one of this generation's greatest talents. He easily could have been nominated for an Oscar here. It's also the first real time he played such a uniquely strange character, something he's got himself stuck into doing these days. Martin Landau, who did win an Oscar for his turn as Bela Lugosi, is what makes this film work so well. It can get tiresome watching Wood's undeserved success, but Landau works so impeccably well as a drugged up Lugosi. I couldn't have imagined someone better in that role.

The rest of the cast and crew also deserve credit, mostly for succeeding in making such a strangely delicious film. After a while, you begin to go along with the joke of Wood's career. And to look up and see that there's still plenty that isn't falsified makes it all the better.

+Unique characters and story

+Movie about movies

+Burton's tight directing

8.0/10
½ September 2, 2016
What an odd, quirky movie. Now, normally I wouldn't be into the weird, quirky comedies that would appeal to a more "hipster-ish" crowd. For example, I really did not like The Grand Budapest Hotel with all it's ... quirks. But Ed Wood is a great movie! Tim Burton plus great performances from Johnny Depp and Martin Landau and some great laughs all in a movie about making movies. I really can't put into words of how wonderfully charming this film is. Johnny Depp just has this innocence to him that makes you really sympathize with him. He makes absolutely terrible films but damn it, he deserves another shot! All the other characters get a ton of laughs and the world Tim Burton creates is a real unique one. Overall, if you are a film maker this is a must watch. If you consider yourself "quirky", give this one a shot.
August 17, 2016
As odd, bizarre and fascinating as the man who inspired it. Ed Wood is one of the best films about film making ever made. It could have easily done a cheap deprecating trash piece on Ed Wood and his legacy. But rather it paints a heartfelt, funny and compelling story about a man desperate to be remembered as a director of the art of cinema. And to be fair that's exactly what he got, for better or worse.
½ August 16, 2016
Brilliant biopic of the proclaimed worst director ever and the fascinating story of how he made his first projects, it's also Burton's homage to classic horror films with a brilliant use of black and white, Depp portrays Wood brilliantly, one of his best performances.
August 7, 2016
Tim Burton's throwback to the B horror movies is encapsulated in Ed Wood. Martin Landau is mesmerising in his portrayal of early screen legend Bela Lugosi, and The film is shot in stark black and white with some astounding production design that recreates the feel of 1950's hollywood.
August 1, 2016
I've avoided seeing this for a long time because I'm stupid. Turns out it's great. It's fun seeing Johnny Depp do Christian Slater. Also it's very touching in a lot of ways. I relate to the filmmaking struggle.
June 18, 2016
What's so great about this film is that it manages to make us root for the little guy even though we know from the start what a monumentally bad idea that is for everyone involved. Ed Wood is a cheerful and genuinely friendly guy who doesn't let his own incompetence slow him down. Making us like him is easy. Making us side with him (especially when we can see how damaging it will be for all those around him) is a lot more tricky. The film also manages to recreate a lot of nostalgia for the era through use of black and white and other period stylings. Even knowing what a disaster his life will be you still feel inspired by his creativity and passion. You feel like, as a good and sincere person, he deserves success. The fact that he is entirely unworthy of it from an artistic perspective is the contradiction that the film embraces, and in so doing makes you really think about how easily we accept a hero's viewpoint as long as he's charming.
April 26, 2016
Landau sort of steals the show, but Burton directs this love letter to 50īs cinema with incredible passion and technical brilliance.
April 17, 2016
In my opinion, this is Burton's best. It's filled to the brim with his typical mood, flourishes, and flights of creative fancy, but is grounded in a biopic story which on its own is already totally compelling. I absolutely love it.
April 8, 2016
Great film. I am reliably informed Martin Landau does Bela Lugosi better than Lugosi did. Certainly triggered some nostalgia, not just for the (mythical) golden age of America but also when Tim Burton could make great films with care and without extravagance. Burton's more recent Frankenweenie, though, is a lovely look at the same era.