Ed Wood - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ed Wood Reviews

August 17, 2016
As odd, bizarre and fascinating as the man who inspired it. Ed Wood is one of the best films about film making ever made. It could have easily done a cheap deprecating trash piece on Ed Wood and his legacy. But rather it paints a heartfelt, funny and compelling story about a man desperate to be remembered as a director of the art of cinema. And to be fair that's exactly what he got, for better or worse.
½ August 16, 2016
Brilliant biopic of the proclaimed worst director ever and the fascinating story of how he made his first projects, it's also Burton's homage to classic horror films with a brilliant use of black and white, Depp portrays Wood brilliantly, one of his best performances.
August 7, 2016
Tim Burton's throwback to the B horror movies is encapsulated in Ed Wood. Martin Landau is mesmerising in his portrayal of early screen legend Bela Lugosi, and The film is shot in stark black and white with some astounding production design that recreates the feel of 1950's hollywood.
August 1, 2016
I've avoided seeing this for a long time because I'm stupid. Turns out it's great. It's fun seeing Johnny Depp do Christian Slater. Also it's very touching in a lot of ways. I relate to the filmmaking struggle.
June 18, 2016
What's so great about this film is that it manages to make us root for the little guy even though we know from the start what a monumentally bad idea that is for everyone involved. Ed Wood is a cheerful and genuinely friendly guy who doesn't let his own incompetence slow him down. Making us like him is easy. Making us side with him (especially when we can see how damaging it will be for all those around him) is a lot more tricky. The film also manages to recreate a lot of nostalgia for the era through use of black and white and other period stylings. Even knowing what a disaster his life will be you still feel inspired by his creativity and passion. You feel like, as a good and sincere person, he deserves success. The fact that he is entirely unworthy of it from an artistic perspective is the contradiction that the film embraces, and in so doing makes you really think about how easily we accept a hero's viewpoint as long as he's charming.
April 26, 2016
Landau sort of steals the show, but Burton directs this love letter to 50īs cinema with incredible passion and technical brilliance.
April 17, 2016
In my opinion, this is Burton's best. It's filled to the brim with his typical mood, flourishes, and flights of creative fancy, but is grounded in a biopic story which on its own is already totally compelling. I absolutely love it.
April 8, 2016
Great film. I am reliably informed Martin Landau does Bela Lugosi better than Lugosi did. Certainly triggered some nostalgia, not just for the (mythical) golden age of America but also when Tim Burton could make great films with care and without extravagance. Burton's more recent Frankenweenie, though, is a lovely look at the same era.
April 8, 2016
Let me start off with the fact that I do not like Tim Burton: I like some of his earlier films like Beetlejuice, Edward Scissorhands, or Nightmare before Christmas, but other than that... So when I saw that this was directed by Burton I was very pessimistic. I have to say this was a very funny, unique movie, and the acting by Depp and Landau was nothing short of amazing.
March 22, 2016
Tim should go back to making quality films like Ed Wood. Maybe needlessly filmed in black and white, but it works and you forget you're watching a film absent of color. Is there any role Depp doesn't do well?
March 18, 2016
Just brilliant--nothing else to say.
½ February 20, 2016
One of Burton's best, one that succeeds in rounded portrayals and engaging performances. It tones down the Burton aspects to make the comedy funny and the drama real. Ed Wood captures the earnestness of the titular subject perfectly.
February 6, 2016
A study of the truly bizarre. Fascinating.
½ January 31, 2016
My relationship with biographical films has always been strained. My desire to learn more about certain historical figures, this case being Ed Wood (Johnny Depp) and Bela Lugosi (Martin Landeau), can blind me from judging the merits of the movie as a movie. I'll try to articulate my judgment simply: I grew up on Mystery Science Theater 3000, and through that show, I fell in love with B-movies. I was very familiar with the works of Ed Wood, when going into this movie. I was delighted by how much passion that Ed Wood had for his preposterous cinematic vision, and horrified by how little hope that Bela Lugosi had left in his final years of cinematic presence. Depp and Landeau presented themselves as desperate movie lovers, and, with the bizarre touches of Tim Burton (other than Schindler's List, there weren't and aren't many mainstream movies coming out in B&W), the story was surprisingly brought to heartwarming life. This is definitely one of Burton's most restrained works. Without anything supernatural at work, one's attention falls less on the special effects or set design (at best, the recreation of the minimal budget work that Ed Wood himself could barely afford), and more on character and story development. Good on Tim Burton for trying something new. Where many of his other films would sometimes delude how we saw its own characters, Ed Wood (the movie) doesn't cloud anything. We see Wood struggle to embrace his gender-swapping behaviours, as well as his "avant-garde" style of filmmaking. And so, looking at the story as another tale of self-acceptance may make one wonder, "Who cares about Ed Wood?" I must stress how his achievement of self-acceptance had never led to him being hailed as a genius. Ed Wood is still seen as an artistic loser, one of the worst film directors of all time. Yet, as shown in the scenes of the making of Plan 9 from Outer Space, he fought his superiors to the very end so that he could make what he wanted to make. Even more perplexing was how much his cast and crew believed in him. Maybe everyone knew it was crap, and they still wanted Ed Wood to win. I wanted Wood to win too. Clearly, Burton loved his fair share of B-movies, even framing the story as if it were an Ed Wood movie. As a fan work, as a biopic, and as a drama with stylistic, deadpan touches, Ed Wood is a winner.
January 26, 2016
Funny, interesting, insightful , even heartfelt. The actors did an amazing portrayal and this movie did a great job bringing the 50's alive. I wasn't sure of this movie going in but I am quite glad I sat down to watch it.
January 16, 2016
A much more sentimental and dramatic work from director Tim Burton, Ed Wood successfully combines heart, drama, thoughtfulness, oddities, and comedy thanks to a talented cast and a strong narrative
January 14, 2016
Ed Wood is a bad director, but I like him because he's the reason this amazing biography film exists. Tim Burton is a great director.
January 6, 2016
Atmospheric cinematography sets the mood brilliantly and highlights the good, the bad and the weird, but does little to focus Burton's wondering mind.
December 22, 2015
An essential film for aspiring filmmakers. This film shows you how you should never make movies for profit and you should make movies because your passionate about the craft. The acting by Johnny Depp was just spell bounding and gives the best performance of his career. Martin Landau as Bela Lugosi was just spectacular and deserved his Best supporting actor Oscar. The film was shot in Black and white which gives the film an old feeling and makes you feel like your going back in time to watch a classic film.
November 28, 2015
"Ed Wood" is Johnny Depp's and Tim Burton's best movie out of their eight movies together. It's also their only movie to be shot in black and white. It's also Tim Burton's first R-rated movie and it's also his first movie to not feature Danny Elfman's music score.