The Edge of Love - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Edge of Love Reviews

July 5, 2016
makes a point ... does this subtly ... the way it's filmed and directed is marvellous ... requires patience so not really for those exclusively rambo.
March 29, 2015
Well I see the North American audience and the critics did not like this film. I'm not sure what people were expecting. I enjoyed it. Everyone smoked like chimneys in that era...what a different world we live in now!
½ August 10, 2014
I watch this every time it comes on tv ^_^. Love it!
½ November 22, 2013
Beautiful at times with some good performances and nice ideas but the key relationships and events in this movie never fully feel explained or believable: I am a bit fan of 'show' not 'tell' but at times I feel like neither are really happening and things just occur before your eyes that don't mean anything. At the end of the film I felt I had enjoyed the experience yet I also felt fairly empty.
July 31, 2013
With a narrative that lacks focus and awkwardly misplaced dialogue, this romance rivalry flick tends to become frustrating, despite its devoted performances.
½ April 27, 2013
Some parts of this movie were good others a bit patchy
March 29, 2013
A serious drama that will leave many struggling to take anyone involved with it too seriously. It had the potential to be a very interesting film but actually ends up being a dull affair that I'm already starting to forget only an hour or so after watching it. How did it actually end again?
March 12, 2013
i have no idea about this movie. very great plot but so weak point of story and i even dont like the script. this movie very very unfortunate. and we have to keep in mind this story quiet silly. 2 dumb girls and 2 weak guys. i feel so sorry :)
February 28, 2013
i desperately want to see this
½ January 22, 2013
Almost overwhelmingly depressing film sorely lacking in actual love or romance. Messed up people with messed up lives. However, it is a "classy" picture as I called it before seeing and there's some great cinematography work, but the heart and soul of the film just isn't powerful enough. And Cillian Murphy just isn't in it enough! ;D

Before Seeing: The movie that nearly crippled "Brothers & Sisters"! Thanks a lot, Miller!!! >:(
January 21, 2013
I thought the story was kind of weird. However, the actors' performances were great. Keira Knightley, Sienna Miller and Cillian Murphy all had emotional performances.
January 21, 2013
the powerful performances of knightly and miller were at their best but that dont mean that the movie was interesting
½ December 17, 2012
A visually striking film about the poet Dylan Thomas and the two women in his life. One is his feisty wife Caitlin (Sienna Miller) and the other is his childhood friend Vera (Keira Knightley). Vera makes a stunning entrance as the camera zooms in on her as she is singing a song for the underground to support the troops during wartime. It's a bold colorful image that will be with the entire movie. This movie is only good for the acting, more on that in a minute. The main plotline has Dylan (Matthew Rhys) struggling over which woman to be with and they even end up sharing a house together for about a year. That is until Vera meets and falls in love with a soldier named William (Cillian Murphy). Surprisingly Vera and Caitlin develop a bond of friendship that is put through the wringer. Love is a gorgeous looking film with solid performances with Murphy and Miller being the standouts. Keira is ok, but she can do these kind of roles in her sleep now. I wish she would change gears and do a romantic comedy like Love Actually or an action film instead of these period English films. Sienna Miller actually upstages her with a super performance as the hellion wife Caitlin. Never before had I seen Ms. Miller show this much range as an actress. But my main problem with this movie is the central character of Dylan himself. I just couldn't see why both women were this crazy or involved over him. He comes across as a douche bag. And I swear to god I had never seen this much smoking in any one film ever. I mean these people smoke when they drink, when they talk, when they cook, when they eat, when they lay in bed cuddling. Every scene has someone lighting up. Still, this film is worth seeing mainly for the acting. And some good singing by Keira, if that is her doing her own singing, it's pretty good. Watch with low expectations.
November 2, 2012
Grade: B-

This was a very well acted film; even Keira Knightley really surprised me. Usually she can't act for toffee and appears in the same corset dramas and puts on the same pouty expression and hoity toity voice. Keira Knightley put on a very good Welsh accent and was actually very good. Sienna Miller wasn't bad either. The film is about a woman called Vera Phillips (played by Knightley), who bumps into her former love, poet Dylan Thomas (Matthew Rhys- though his acting wasnt that impressive) and strikes up a friendship with him and his wife Caitlin (Sienna Miller), however old feelings bubble up to the surface between Dylan and Vera, much to the jealousy of Vera's love interest, soldier William. However I really didn't think there was that much going on between Vera and Thomas and there wasnt much chemistry. However the film portrayed Caitlin and Dylan's tempestuous relationship very well. I think the film focused too much on Caitlin and Vera (and a possible lesbian relationship between them is implied) so I found it a bit less interesting. On the whole it wasn't a bad film, not the best wartime flick I've seen, but its OK.
October 28, 2012
Whilst it manages to capture the viewer with moments of cinematic beauty, The Edge of Love fails to entice. In some scenes the cinematography is perfect. The set design and costume cannot be faulted. The glamour and horror of the era are portrayed perfectly. But the story itself does not piece together. The sudden friendship of the two women seems too soon and lacking in explanation. The characters have little depth and I felt no real sympathy for any of them. It almost seems as if several crucial scenes were omitted.

The film itself is fairly disappointing, but perhaps worth watching for the moments when everything comes together because when this happens the film is stunning.
September 24, 2012
The acting is uniformly exceptional and the film looks great but each second feels like a minute, each minute feels like an hour...and in all that time nothing really important happens.
September 12, 2012
An interesting film which is another where Keira Knightley is a hot babe!
September 10, 2012
I can't watch this and cry enough and it does it to me over & again :)
August 26, 2012
I like this... quite simple yet there are complex currents underneath if only you take time to explore. Lovely acting by the actors.