EDtv - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

EDtv Reviews

½ April 1, 2017
A cheesy dumb movie that isn't funny. I didn't believe any of it. Ron Howard's worst film.
½ November 19, 2016
The turning point in the life of Ed Pekurny (Matthew McConaughey) comes thanks to the misfortunes of the NorthWest Broadcasting Company. After two years on the air, their flagship cable channel, True TV, has slid into obscurity due to competition from the The Gardening Channel. Program director Cynthia Topping (Ellen DeGeneres) brainstorms a last ditch effort to save the channel: broadcast one ordinary person's life 24 hours a day, unedited (while he sleeps, the day's highlights will be shown). When the network agrees to the idea, Topping must find the subject of her program. After endless auditions, she lucks upon Ed, a goofy but good-looking video store clerk. Ed has little time to get used to his new shadow, a three man video crew, before the show becomes a hit. Suddenly Ed's a cultural icon with fan clubs, stalkers, and imitators, but the media saturation has it's effects on his friends and family, who are now part of the program. Ed alienates his proud brother, Ray (Woody Harrelson), by falling in love with his girlfriend, Shari (Jenna Elfman). His estranged father Hank (Dennis Hopper) reappears after abandoning the family and creates tension between Ed and Ray's mother, Jeanette (Sally Kirkland) and her wheelchair-bound second husband, Al (Martin Landau). When Ed realizes the phenomenon has turned on him, he convinces Topping to stop the ordeal, but not her boss, Whitaker (Rob Reiner). To regain his life, Ed must find a way to cancel EDtv.
½ November 3, 2016
Ron Howard's take on The Truman Show is entertaining, but a little inappropriate at times. I enjoyed the general concept of the film. (First viewing - Summer 2008)
October 25, 2016
Good idea. Good actors. I'd watch it again.
½ October 18, 2016
I loved it. Thoroughly enjoyed it beginning-to-end!
½ October 13, 2016
The cast was amazing. Pretty cool movie.
October 9, 2016
Just a classic great fun and funny movie. OMG with the chicken dance. And guys are the gas and girls are the breaks.
½ January 29, 2016
Despite being full of plot points that feel familiar and cliché, the biting satire and fun performances of EDtv make for a mostly entertaining time.
August 17, 2015
Accomplished tedium.
May 14, 2015
EdTV! i know this movie doesn't seem like it deserves 4 stars, but it really does. i was expecting way, way worse than the ratings on here. a 63% from critics that isn't fresh isn't all that great, neither is a 29%. and it deserves way higher because it is entertaing, has a great performance from matthew mcgaunahey, it is funny in most scenes, but some do fall flat with unfunny cheese and extremly childish jokes that get a little and annoying and some characters can be annoying in ways too, but not in a great way, in a jar jar binks type of way. not like someone you love to hate. and it is hollywood saturated in alot of it, but i cant get over the fact that it really appealed to me, and i thought was entertaining and had a solid performance from matthew mcaunahey that was both comedic and dramatic. i reccomend this movie!
½ May 2, 2015
Matthew McConaughey as stars as ED in Ron Howard's EDtv. Ed Perkurny is your regular guy until he gets cast in a reality show that features his daily life events. The drama ensues as relationships between his brother (Woody Harrelson) and a woman (Jenna Elfman) unfold. EDtv was pretty forced and goes on for too long. The movie tries to encapsulate America's fascination with reality TV, but ultimately is a boring soap opera. The Truman Show is a much better movie and should be seen over this.
December 29, 2014
Pretty great, weird but great.
½ December 10, 2014
I really liked Ed Tv...where the Truman show had a lot more depth to it in the realm of emotion and scope, this movie is just downright fun as it takes a look into tv consumers and how we love reality tv and love to see what happens in other peoples lives. McConaughey plays Ed who is picked to have his life followed 24/7 by TV cameras. What started out as just a little idea turned into a huge sensation. I enjoyed the idea and seeing what kind of things the character got involved in. A good comedy with some very good moments.
September 12, 2014
Fairly average. McConnaughey is the balls. Serious twitch off Hurley. Gimme The Truman Show any day.
September 7, 2014
Yes, its similar to the Truman Show, but it brings it's own little thing to the table. Matthew and Woody are a great pair, as well as Ellen and such. It provides the drama we'd expect, and it brings the look at stardom. It is a good movie, but originality doesn't fit in, and not just because its exactly like the Truman Show, its drama and plot I mean by those terms.
½ August 7, 2014
Amazing how this film came out in the 90s and predicted the publics obsession with reality tv. Skimming other comments it seems this is compared to the Truman Show a lot. I would argue they are similar but with enough differences to make both enjoyable for different reasons.
June 29, 2014
Not Truman show, but it does not try to be. Not as good but it is interesting
June 29, 2014
Likable but overly antiseptic comedy. Yes, the lead actor is from motion pictures, but the overwhelming majority of the rest of the cast is from TV, and that's exactly the way this feels. Like a TV sitcom. One that probably lasted just a touch too long to make this a higher rating.
½ June 15, 2014
Funnier than I expected. It was my first time seeing it, since it came out while I was on my mission.