Elf - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Elf Reviews

December 9, 2017
I remember not be crazy about this the first time I saw it in the theater, but now it is a Christmas classic that has me constantly cracking up!
December 7, 2017
Great Will Ferrell film for the first half, then it falls apart.
December 3, 2017
One of my favorite movies. Absolutely hilarious and a Christmas classic.
December 2, 2017
Accidentally brought back to The North Pole as a baby, Buddy was raised by elves. When he finds out that he's actually human, he heads to New York to meet his real father who happens to be in Santa's naughty list.
Will Ferrell is just the right person to play Buddy, he encapsulates a childish joy and wonder that is very endearing and performs some great slap stick jokes. James Caan plays Walter, Buddy's father, and is suitably grumpy and curmudgeonly and Bob Newhart adds to some great dry humour as Papa Elf. Zooey Deschanel as Jovie has a nice singing voice but her character doesn't get very much development so she's essentially just a love interest for Buddy.
There's a nice mixture of humour in Elf. There are enough, burp jokes, fart jokes and slap stick scenes that will make the kids laugh and enough drier, more mature jokes to keep adults entertained as well. It takes a little while to set up the premise of the film and get to the main thrust of the plot but once Buddy gets to New York the pace picks up a bit and remains fairly consistent for the rest of the film.
There are some issues with poor CGI, green screen work and animation. However the majority of the scenes in New York look great and the soundtrack is appropriately jovial and catchy without relying too heavily on overplayed Christmas songs.
All in all, no this isn't an Oscar worthy film but it's a funny, family film about Christmas cheer and believing in Santa that is genuinely enjoyable. What more could you ask for from a Christmas film?
½ December 2, 2017
Love, love, love this movie. It's not Christmas without Buddy.
½ November 30, 2017
One of my favorite Christmas movies. Love the ending.
November 29, 2017
This hilarious and quotable family film is the perfect movie to cuddle up and write letters to Santa to. The way Will Ferrell releases his inner elf in this film is not only a perfect representation of his typical comedy, but it also sends a loving and warming message. Buddy the elf has just realized that he isn't who he had always thought he was, and was struggling beyond measure to find his place in the human world. His display of love and compassion for a father he never knew was so heart felt, along with the way Emily, his father's wife, invited him into their home as if she had known him all his life. This movie gives a Christmas twist on a message that should be portrayed all year round, that love is more important than a label or a price tag. When Walter, Buddy's dad, gives up a big work presentation to make sure Buddy doesn't disappear from their lives, it shows how much Buddy has grown on him and how much he truly cares about his son, despite the times he pushed him away. This is by far my favorite Christmas movie and the one holiday movie I enjoy all year round.
November 27, 2017
The biggest joke in the shenannigans depicted therein is that a big human being acts like a little one, perhaps THE mainstay of all Will Ferrell's material. Do you think that's funny? Well, if so, then this'll be a laff riot, because that's the entire premise here. In point of fact, nearly every joke in the film can be glossed by the film cover. "Isn't he cute?" If that doesn't crack you up (the possibility exists) then I've done you a favor. Don't mention it.
½ November 23, 2017
I know it's exactly Miracle on 34th Street (another of my favorite xmas movies), but I love the movie Elf and love Will Ferrell's performance. A go to for me every Christmas season.
½ November 21, 2017
While most of the humor in this movie is entertaining and funny, it surprises me that so many would give this film positive review. The main character talks about wanting to find his "real dad" rather than his biological father or birthfather. I am beyond baffled that the screenwriter (and director & cast, for that matter) would not have caught this, and realized how this sounds to the millions of adoptive families (like mine) that may be watching. It also perpetuates misconceptions anout adoptions and adoptive parents, who are in fact the "real" parents for the child. I also did not like the references to the rumor of parents participating in Santa traditions! Change both of those things, and you've got a fun movie to watch. Otherwise, steer clear!
November 14, 2017
This is my all time favourite movie! It is so funny and cheerful! Great for the whole family. Go watch it now!
November 13, 2017
every time I watch this movie I laugh, truly funny film
November 10, 2017
A feel good comedy that still holds up. Excellent for kids and adults!!!
November 6, 2017
Elf: A fun hearted, funny holiday classic. Elf boasts of Will Ferrell's charasmatic preformance that assures Elf amongest the best holiday movies.
½ November 5, 2017
Our families favourite Christmas movie. Watch every year as a tradition.
?You must be a South Pole elf?. Classic!
Imaginative and true to self.
November 3, 2017
10/10. Hands down the best Christmas movie
October 14, 2017
This is a great film to watch every Christmas. It is very heartwarming and there is some superb jokes.
October 8, 2017
I have to admit this is one that kind of grew on me. At first I just chalk it up to a typical Will Ferrell acting like a big goofball comedy but then after a few more viewings it really has a lot of heart to it. It's about someone trying to find their place in the world and trying to be excepted and acknowledged.
September 30, 2017
One of Will Ferrell's best and my favorite Christmas movie ever.
½ September 18, 2017
Elf is a spirited, good-natured family comedy!