Elf - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Elf Reviews

½ December 3, 2016
12/3/16
Son of a nutcracker, there are so many Christmas movies out there! One that's great for Christmas (or any time of the year) if Elf. We open with a story book, learning about elves. They have very limited job options and love to tell stories, especially Papa Elf (Bob Newhart), who tells us the story of a human he adopted and raised as an elf: Buddy (Will Ferrell). After seeing Buddy accidentally end up in the North Pole, we get a quick montage of him being raised, then he joins the elf workforce and learns his true parentage. After a talk with Santa (Ed Asner), Buddy sets out to meet his father Walter Hobbs (James Caan). Along the way, he discovers a whole new world: the real world. Whether he runs into coffee shops to congratulate them or just runs around in a revolving door, Buddy expresses all our inner childs, and is an example of what happens when we let our inner child run unchecked. The movie wastes no time getting started, and once it gets started, it's non-stop laughter and heart, and coherently tells the story of Buddy coming home to his. The contrast between the North Pole and New York City is hilarious and obvious, whether it's the motion-capture buddies of Buddy reminiscent of Rankin-Bass Christmas specials compared to New Yorkers and their realistic attitudes, or Buddy's sense of discovery. We get more than laughs, but a genuinely warm story of a father and son reunited, and with the focus on Buddy and Walter, we truly get to care about Buddy's dilemma and Walter's reluctance and confusion. John Debney's score, combined with other Christmas music are the best way to spread Christmas cheer, so let's sing it loud for all to hear! The dialogue is loud and clean for all to hear, and the laughs keep coming. Elf is the perfect Christmas movie for the family, like a live-action Pixar movie, balancing hilarious humor with a legitimate character story. This movie goes on my nice list for perfect Christmas movies and movies in general! You did it! Congratulations! Great job everybody who worked on this movie! It's great to know you did this! Thanks!
12/21/13
Merry Christmas movie fans. As an early present, you get, Elf, starring Will Ferrell. While it may seem juvenile to some, there is an authentic and real plot to it. We get the likes of Buddy the elf as a main character. He's a human raised by elves, and now he seeks his human father, who is a money grubbing bleep on the naughty list. Throughout, we see Buddy meet the real world. It reminds me of Don Quixote in that Buddy is thought of as "insane." While sounding childish, (there is childish humor in this one) the way they tell the story is so grand, and you really get to care for these characters. The difference between the North Pole and New York are black and white, with elves so much smaller than Buddy, and stop-motion animals, then when you get to New York, it feels like real life. That is how it should be with a family comedy like this. John Debney provides a charming score, even if most of it is Christmas tunes, there's still a feeling of authenticity to it. Elf is Will Ferrell's best movie ever, and has stood the test of time by a decade, and will stand for decades to come.
November 28, 2016
A great excuse for Will Ferrell to run around in holiday garb, drawing sidelong glances from the sidewalk-strollers of Manhattan. Ferrell is the ultimate man-child, a six-and-a-half foot mess of arms and legs in green tights, buckled shoes and a pointy hat, matching the elvish wardrobe of 1964's Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. As physical comedy and ridiculous enthusiasm is his forte, Elf makes for an excellent vehicle, but it's also loaded with a swath of supporting talent (admittedly, another of the comedian's calling cards). Zooey Deschanel (somewhat unrecognizable in blonde hair) is a good fit as his skeptical, frayed love interest, but the best work comes from James Caan, Peter Dinklage, Amy Sedaris, Andy Richter, Kyle Gass and especially Bob Newhart as his sweet, yet long-suffering, adoptive father on the North Pole. Genuinely funny, warm, sugary and spirited; an unexpectedly effective successor to the Christmas classics it seemingly sets out to roast. Worth adding to the annual rotation.
½ November 24, 2016
Terrible movie. The jokes are terrible, and Will Ferrell is the very picture of mediocrity in comedy.
½ November 22, 2016
A classic film that I look forward to sharing with my own kids.
½ November 19, 2016
A classic in my mind
November 3, 2016
Best Christmas movie ever made(period)
½ October 28, 2016
This movie is by no means perfect. There are actually some pretty bad scenes, but damn it if I don't love it to pieces anyway. I never get tired of watching it with my family. It just kinda transcends its own shortcomings somehow. It's a classic; what can I say?
October 20, 2016
-a Christmas classic
½ October 6, 2016
not my favorite...everyone seems to love this movie, but it just didn't do it for me as a great Will Ferrel movie or a great Christmas movie
September 26, 2016
So funny. Only Will Farrell could truly pull that character off.
½ September 22, 2016
Elf is one of the best Christmas movies ever made, and a staple in Jon Favreau's filmography.
August 27, 2016
Really good Christmas movie
August 26, 2016
Jon Favreau had this big family Christmas hit five years before taking on the Iron Man franchise. The cast is pretty great in this silly holiday movie. I appreciate Bob Newhart, Ed Asner, Mary Steenburgen, and James Caan doing their thing. Zooey Deschanel is super adorable, but I didn't recognize her at first. What can I say about Will Ferrell?? I'm not a big fan of Ferrell's man-child act. It took me over ten years to be exposed to this goofy flick, which I was at the previous Christmas get together with the in-laws. Call me a scrooge, I guess, but I didn't find Elf funny overall.
August 26, 2016
Here is a Christmas movie in which I can easily remember than any other Christmas movie, thanks to Will Ferrell's heartwarming performance.
½ August 23, 2016
Elf is outright hilarious, unlike some other 2000's Will Ferrell duds (Talladega Knights, anyone?) The sheer innocence Ferrell gives Buddy the elf just elevates the character and reminds us of when we were like that. All of those who didn't like the movie, "you sit on a throne of lies!"
½ August 13, 2016
Santa brings home an orphan baby and he grows up to be Will Ferrell, an elf living in the north pole. He's soon told he's not like the other elves and that his real father lives in New York and his dad's on the naughty list. The elf goes off to find his dad and the hilarity begins as he journeys through New York city. Ferrell gives a pleasant performance and ultimately became a blockbuster star with this bittersweet comedy.
July 21, 2016
A rare modern Christmas classic. Very humorous and a popular family movie
July 18, 2016
Whoever cast Will Ferrell as a man who thinks he's an elf deserves an Oscar. Also, this is the only movie I can stand Zooey Deschanel in.
July 17, 2016
The best Christmas movie I ever seen very funny movie
½ July 17, 2016
Will Ferrell is hilarious in this, definitely one of his better roles, and he is the strength of this movie.