Elf - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Elf Reviews

January 17, 2017
Family favorite. I watch this movie several times throughout the holiday season. Love, Love, Love it!
January 14, 2017
This film is a joy to watch with Will Ferrell at his most charming... and innocent.
January 6, 2017
It was a really funny, very nice and really entertaining live-action family holiday comedy. It had really great cinematography, really excellent special effects, really excellent cast, really nice humor, really good adventure, really great music, really well done costumes, really nice characters and a really nice story. It was my first time seeing this movie when I was 14 years old during Christmas 2006. This is going to be one of my favorite Christmas movies of 2003. I really recommend this movie to both kids and adults.
January 1, 2017
It's good movie to watch
December 29, 2016
November 21st 2014
November 29th 2015
December 23rd 2016
½ December 26, 2016
As much as I hate Will Ferrell, this was still quite enjoyable!
½ December 26, 2016
Elf has a well constructed story, is compelling as comedy, its theme is original, the soundtrack is great, and its cast was well choosed. It's a perfect movie to watch in Christmas time.
½ December 25, 2016
Delightful Christmas movie that has emerged as a new classic, thanks to a game cast and sweet but intelligence nature to it's storytelling. Will Ferrel is superb as Buddy, giving one of his best lead performances playing him as a simple but sweet natured man who just wants the best for everyone. His physical comedy can't be denied (just the image of him at his size in an elf outfit is laugh out loud) but Ferrell plays him with such charm you understand why everyone warms to him. He gets great support from the rest of the cast, particularly the great Bob Newhart as his adopted father, whose opening narration perfectly sets the film's tone, and Zooey Deschanel as his love interest, who gets a chance to show off her singing chops. Plus, Peter Dinklage has a hilarious cameo as a short person Buddy mistakes for an elf. Behind the camera, Jon Favreau crafts a smart but sweet, poking gentle fun at Christmas traditions & movies but in such a loving way you can tell it's meant to pay homage over satire (the fact the North Pole is populated by claymation creatures is a great touch). The sweetness pervades throughout the film and in a nice twist, his biological father's wife, played by the wonderful Mary Steenburgen, is openly accepting of Buddy over being a cliche wicked stepmother. Overall, a funny family film that deserves a permanent fixture in every Christmas movie collection.
December 24, 2016
Cementing itself as a (relatively) modern Christmas standard, Elf features a memorable and always endearing performance from Will Ferrell as well as plenty of charm and humor to earn viewings from any season of the year.
December 24, 2016
this was a very immature movie. This was by far Will Ferrel's worst movie Alex Dreger should have played Micheal. It seemed good but it was not, you know zoned it was a very weird movie ecspaccily the scene snowball fight and the story plot is just impossible would go on but I can't cause I do not want to waste my team review this stupid movie. This movie everyone thinks is good but it not that is why i give it 1 1/2 stars. That is 97 minutes I am never going to get back
December 24, 2016
There's something missing if Will Ferrell doesn't make you laugh in this. The last third is all a bit shoehorned but I can forgive this in a nice feel good family Xmas flick with laughs aplenty.
½ December 23, 2016
Finally watched this classic holiday comedy.
December 23, 2016
This is one of those movies that I love for so many reasons. Giving it a perfect score might seem foolish to some people, but I have to watch this every year. Some movies you can skip for a year or two at a time, but for me, this one is a MUST for every Christmas. It is a bit on the silly side, but it does it in a way that I think is wonderful.
½ December 22, 2016
Elf is Will Ferrell near his best. The movie is incredibly funny and has a lot of heart.
December 21, 2016
The last great Christmas film with Will Ferrell giving a hilarious performance.
December 21, 2016
Elf is a delicately bombastic, nonsensical comedy that is absolutely hilarious as well as endearing.
½ December 19, 2016
'Elf' either gets you in the Christmas spirit or you're a cotton-headed ninny-muggins.
½ December 19, 2016
Elf is fun family Christmas film that is rewatchable because it is, and always will be funny. The concept of someone not knowing the general way to act is hilarious and Will Ferrell really does shine in this movie. He was born to play Buddy the Elf. It's the kind of film that puts you in a Christmassy mood even when you weren't before because of the romanticised merriment and festive soundtrack. There aren't many Christmas films better than this one. Maybe Die Hard.