Elle - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Elle Reviews

½ March 26, 2017
A weighty yet titillating introspection of the warped psyche of an alpha woman relishing her sexual cravings, emasculating her male employees and chastening menacing men after a vicious assault at home.
½ March 25, 2017
waste -- Isabelle Huppert great as usual tho ...left early
March 25, 2017
Perverse and savagely amoral, I think Hitchcock and Polanski would nod and chuckle knowingly. Huppert is daring, but cool, and remains a bit of a cipher. "Shame isn't a strong enough emotion to stop us from doing anything at all."
March 25, 2017
Aweful film... It's one of those bad films that gets high review scores bc of its insufferable PC message
March 24, 2017
Sadistic, objectifying, marginalizing of women. Totally disgusting and beyond offensive.
March 24, 2017
If you're expecting a "revenge" type thriller, you've come to the wrong film.

Huppert is superb in the lead role, a strong-willed and determined business-woman w/ one close friend (who's husband Elle casually cheats with) a Son she dotes on but doesn't feel close to, an ex-Husband who's a struggling writer and can't quite stay out of his ex's life, and a pair of intriguing neighbors (the wife is quite religious, the husband is a charming enigma.)

The film drops us right into a chaotic home invasion-rape sequence. Elle moves on from this in robot-like fashion...a terrible childhood event involving her monster of a Father made her swear off future Police involvement.

She tells her closest confidantes about the attack. She acts as if it were merely a distraction in her extremely hectic life, but on her own takes steps to thwart any further attacks on her person. She also begins sleuthing around her work-place, once the attacker makes it known she's being watched.

Verhoeven does not make this a "Who-dunnit" as much as a "What's Elle up to, now?" film. The identity of her attacker is made known, but he becomes as much a part of Elle's life as before.

My take on all this was, this film is about frustration, rejection, and being in charge...who is really in control and for what purpose? The young lady Elle's son is moving in with is described as a "lunatic" but when an argument ensues between son and girlfriend, Elle is quick to take her side knowing who was in the right at the time. Having lived in the shadow of her Father's crimes, Elle is all about meting out justice to those who would take control from her.

I would say the film is worthy of praise for everyone's acting, the shock value in some of the more amusing scenes...but perhaps has too many characters and plot-lines to follow, this film felt cumbersome at times Elle's Mother's situation was a hoot, for example. But when her story ends (as expected) and certain threads afterward are left dangling, it feels quite like a gyp.

Not what I'd call a "gripping" film but it certainly holds you in it's grip during the most interesting sequences. A simmering pot-boiler; the tale of a driven woman who becomes the focal point of events she (over time) welcomes into her complicated life, as a cathartic measure. Verhoeven stays on course.
½ March 24, 2017
Movie was not what I expected - not suspenseful and slow - half way through it is revealed who the attacker is. Description of movie is inaccurate. Very disappointing.
½ March 24, 2017
Shocking, gripping, tought-provoking, funny and much more. 'Elle' defies movie genres, and succesfully mixes comedy, thriller and drama. Isabelle Huppert shines as usual and gives a terrific performance as an unpredictable, assertive and pragmatic woman who refuses to be a victim and manipulates bascally everyone around her. Paul Verhoeven crafts a controversial film that captivates the viewer and has much to say about society, human nature, relationships and revenge.
March 23, 2017
Doesn't make much sense.
March 21, 2017
I am outraged that this film is not censored and that critics gave it such complementary reviews. This is a story of a female CEO who urges her employees to show extreme violence against women in their video games. She also apparently enjoys sexual violence in her own life. What is the redeeming value of creating films like this? I kept thinking there would be redeeming value at the end, but there was not. I wish I could erase from my memory the terrible images of violence against women. And I wish other reviewer's had warned me not to waste my time.
March 19, 2017
Zero stars for the movie. Five stars for the reviewers who had the good sense to give it one star or less.
½ March 18, 2017
Africans eat goat innards? racist movie. and stupid. Plot all over the place. Boring as crap. how did this win any awards? if this is the best foreign film according to the golden globes, there must have been NO competition. horribly boring.
½ March 18, 2017
disgusting film. I hated it
March 18, 2017
I have no idea why it got a critical acclaim. To be honest, it's very bad script, ridiculous storyline, and fragment plot. Isabelle Huppert just gives a fine performance, but not really amazing.

No matter it won Golden Globe, I still think it SUCKS and totally not enjoyable. As for Paul Verhoeven's similar subject film, I'd recommend "Basic Instinct" which is a way better.
scintillating depravity
March 18, 2017
An engrossing psychological thriller that doesn't stab the viewer in the eye. All of the story's details are revealed to savor, digest and then realize their impact on each other. Isabelle Huppert's Michèle is a bit enigmatic and mesmerizing and not particularly likeable, but learning her background supports all that's happening in this story and makes complete sense - unlike this review. Quite a thought-provoking film which I'll recommend to anyone who enjoys exercising their critical-thinking skills.
½ March 17, 2017
Horrible movie, I will never watch another one directed by Paul Verhoeven nor will I watch a movie with Isabelle Huppert in it. Lousy actress.
½ March 17, 2017
surprising but not because it's clever so much as it is unbelievable. You genuinely hate almost every character. I found the entire thing cringe worthy
March 16, 2017
Elle is the best (and only one of a precious few) Verhoeven film in years. It embodies everything the filmmaker is known for, perhaps visually toned down but psychologically turned way up. It's smart, expertly crafted, beautifully performed, and plays with an air of mystery, not so much in a "whodunit" sense, which is a part of the movie, but rather in what it all means and how and why characters respond as they do. It's absorbing, transcends its language barrier for non-French speakers, and proves one of the most primal and captivating films of its year.
½ March 16, 2017
Why we're so many people drawn to this woman?