Elle - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Elle Reviews

October 16, 2017
Elle features the best dark humour since Pulp Fiction, thanks to Verhoeven's flawless adaptation and those smart dialogues. But the gem is definitely the legendary Isabelle Huppert. Only she can handle the character of Michelle. I believe Emma Stone is a good and talented actress, but it's a disgrace to see Huppert beaten by her at Oscar.
½ October 7, 2017
Don't get fooled with the ratings. It's a waste of time
September 26, 2017
If you're of the opinion that all any woman needs is a good raping, then this is the movie for you. If you recognize this title at all, it's probably because Isabelle Huppert got an Oscar nomination for Best Actress for it in 2016. It has garnered universal praise, so I put it on my list to watch... and frankly, I'm stunned at the positive critical response. They say it's "controversial"... indeed, who wouldn't object to a film that perpetuates male rape fantasy? Quite a lot of people, apparently. I'm not giving anything away here - the film opens mid-way through a brutal rape scene, and the entire film depicts the events that happen as a result of, and sometimes in spite of, that event. You can't argue about the film's technical brilliance: it's impeccably crafted, stylish, and even humorous. And Huppert is a commanding force - she makes not only the character, but the entire film, her own. But even taking all that into consideration, dear god, how can you overlook the film's message? It's offensive to anyone who has been, or known anyone who has been, the victim of a sexual assault. I'm sure the other side would say it's a post-feminist look at female empowerment, but I'm here to tell you that that is a load of bullshit. In this film written and directed exclusively by men, I wonder if any of them have ever actually spoken to a woman. The titular character is enigmatic and steely with a heart of stone, and not very likeable, but even she would never react to a rape in the way this film envisions. Despite its technical merits, I just couldn't get past it. If nothing else, "Elle" is thought (and argument) provoking, to say the least.
½ September 19, 2017
Paul Verhoeven's career has run the gambit from enjoyable satirical classics (Robocop) to flamboyantly laughable train wrecks (Showgirls), and after a 10-year Hollywood hiatus he returns with Elle, a movie about rape, which has little to nothing to say about it, other than that it sometimes happens, and it's not very nice. The film has a borderline-offensive flippancy in the way it approaches its subject matter, and most of the runtime is dedicated to topics completely unrelated to it. Isabelle Huppert is a great actress and turns in a strong performance, but she's barely likable, let alone sympathetic, offering little more than a serious of snide remarks and knife-twisting accusations. The film tries to demonstrate the aftermath of her sexual assault, but we have no idea what she was like beforehand, and as such have no reference as to how much her personality and behaviour has shifted. Lots of things happen but little is of any real interest. Much of the conflict is manufactured and the resolutions come right out of nowhere. Many of the dilemmas the movie presents are completely unreasonable and not even worth the screen time, but get it anyway. The 'twist' is depressingly anticlimactic, not to mention stupid and infuriating, and the reactions of the characters are, most of the time, utterly unreasonable, and not in line with any way of human thinking. That's probably the films point: That such a traumatic event causes us to act strangely, but the film can never do it consistently. Elle is well made for sure, but it's pointless, overlong, boring and way too casual about what should be a deadly serious topic. Say what you want about Irréversible, but it at least knew that rape was a serious issue, and needed to be treated with more scrutiny than an annoying fly which buzzes around your workspace every now and then.
September 19, 2017
It was sleazy and boring, not to mention the tedious main character.
½ September 2, 2017
Elle features a powerhouse performance from the great Isabelle Huppert. She is mesmeric as the woman drawn into a dangerous 'game' with her attacker. This film keeps you on the edge as you are never quite sure who is victim and who is not. At times it is a little overwrought but mostly it is a satisfying, thrilling film.
September 2, 2017
It's a strange, warped, sick movie, but it's also extremely well-written and Huppert is extraordinary.
½ August 22, 2017
A video game developer is trying to sell her new tentacle-goblin game to Activision, but she just keeps getting raped.
August 17, 2017
Here is an actual summary of this film: SPOLIERS!
A woman gets raped in her home. She doesn?t seem to bothered about this. Her son is a bit of a twit. He lets his girlfriend push him around. He borrows gets money off this woman for his apartment. Her mother is shagging a younger man. Her ex is also shagging someone younger. Like many 60 year old french women, she owns a game company that makes violent games. Her game has a rapey scene. This doesn?t seem to bother her. Their game is 6 months behind. People in the company hate her, except for one bloke who loves her but he?s a bit creepy. She has a new neighbor, he?s seems nice. Not rapey at all but very religious. She has a wank looking at him set up a manger. She?s shagging her best mates husband. Oh did I mention her dad went on a killing spree? Yeah and people blame her. She gets raped again, once or twice, I can?t remember. Doesn?t seem to matter. Her neighbour says he chased someone away from her house (I?m not sure about this one.) She?s getting weird texts. She befirends her husbands new girlfriend. Someone break into her house and wanks on the bed. She dips her finger in this (as you would). Someone send around a rapey video of her. She gets the creepy guy she works with hacking into peoples accounts to see who did it. Turns out it was him. She maces her ex husband. Turns out she left him cos he hit her.Michelle invites everyone to a christmas dinner. Oh I hope nothing goes wrong. She flirts with her non rapey neighbour. Her mum has stroke so she lezes it up with her best mate. Her sons missus has a baby. The babies black but he wouldn?t notice that would he? At this poinit I?m thinking Tommy Wiseau?s ?The room? is better written than this shite. The ex husband gets dumped. Anyway she scatters her mums ashes. Her mums dying wish was to have her talk to her dad. She tries but he only goes and fucking tops himself. She gets harassed by the press and crashes her car. Who does she call? The rapest bloke...sure why wouldn?t you? You might as well be mates with him. Think he tried it again but he didnt like consent too much. Probably impotent. DEEP/ I wondered ?when this thing going to be over?? but it just kept fucking going. Her best mates finds out her husband is havin? an affair. She has a launch party for her game. She?s good mates with Mr McRapey at this stage (offcourse). She tells her mate it was her shagging her husband. Sounds like an 80's soap opera, right?
So anyway he tries it on again but her son smacks him on the head. He?s dead. Cant trust the cops still. The rapist's wife moves out. Turns out she was in on it. She heads to the graveyard. Her best mate turns up. Says ?I heard you would be here? (in the fucking graveyard). They are still mates and walk off. FEMINISM. The film received a seven-minute standing ovation at its Cannes Film Festival international premiere. You heard me. I?m not sure why. Maybe cos its in french? This has a 90% critics rating on rotten tomatoes. Check back in 10 years and we?ll see how that goes for this.Critics are fucking sheep. This is UTTER SHITE.
½ August 7, 2017
I think most descriptions of this film do it a grave injustice by focusing on the rape and mystery elements, as if this is some kind of a thriller. While both of these elements exist in the story, it cuts a much wider swath than that, ending up as both a character study and a sort of pitch black social satire. Not a single character in this story isn't essentially despicable, and it's a testament to Verhoeven's deft touch that he doesn't alienate the viewer. It's a consistently surprising film anchored by a truly outstanding performance by Huppert.
July 31, 2017
It was an okay Movie and sexually really weird. Also, I dislike all movies with subtitle especially if you don't warn me first. Any language it don't matter. I'm an English only viewer.
½ July 30, 2017
Elle is an interesting character study of a rape victim with a troubled past but its overly long and at times nonsensical plot took me out of this one.
July 26, 2017
Fascinating, disturbing, and very different from any rape revenge film I have ever seen and I mean that in a good way. I also have to mention Isabelle Huppert's performance is stunning and flawless.
July 24, 2017
Didn't realise this was French with subtitles when we started watching it on iPlayer. We nearly didn't bother watching it

Damn glad we did. What an extraordinary film. Acting and directing like we rarely see from Hollywood. And the actress playing the lead role at age 61 (according to my calculations) wipes the floor with the Hollywood traditional hot females.

Outstanding
½ July 21, 2017
This film has a prodigious temerity unlike many others, but let me be clear that I don't see many foreign films so I cannot contrast. The willing to push the boundaries of the audiences' insecurities and teetering on becoming to uncomfortable. I will give the film that much, but there is something missing that I can't quite put a finger on. The acting never really felt to extraordinary but it was pleasant enough.
July 18, 2017
Well acted, but not hugely appealing characters. Strangely suspenseful. Offensive to some - re sexual content. The story itself, to this viewer, doesn't make it a sufficiently worthwhile watch. On the bright side, it appears to be a good picture of French culture - although a warped one.
July 15, 2017
Some of the sickest, strangest people all in one movie! An older woman who gets raped, run a video game creation business that is successful, although she is a sophisticated French wealthy lady?, she's cyber bullied, the daughter of a mass-murderer, her mother keeps having affairs with young men, then both parents die, her son is a putz who can't keep a job, or evidently keep his girlfriend satisfied, because she gives birth to a black child, that he maintains is his, she has an affair with her best friend's husband, poisons her ex-husband's love life, learns her right hand man in the office likes her, but he shows it with cyber bullying, learns her rapist is a next door neighbor, uses her mother so much that she has a stroke, has an attack oriented affair with next door neighbor, who her son kills,, tells her best friend about being her husbands lover, . and does all of this while being as blasé as I've ever seen anyone be. Oh, I left out the car accident! And incomprehensible movie with Isabelle Huppert acting like a housewife bored out of her mind by all of these occurrences. Totally unbelievable and nonsensical.
½ July 13, 2017
A very complex character and the actress carries the movie very effectively.
½ July 13, 2017
It's a very disturbing and dark movie which I enjoyed nonetheless. It not like any other. The main character played by Isabelle Huppert is difficult to figure out. She plays her role brilliantly and with strength but you can't quite understand her motivations and reactions.