Eraserhead - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Eraserhead Reviews

January 3, 2017
One of the most original films eve made, like a nightmare translated to cinema, David Lynch's feature debut is a truly disturbing, hypnotic and immersive experience, watch in the early hours of the morning when most other people are asleep with the volume loud and the lights off for best results. It's an aquired taste for sure, but if you give over to it's haunting desolation, you will struggle to ever get it out of your head.
½ December 16, 2016
El resentimiento por las malas experiencias te han impreso en el rostro una expresión de vulnerabilidad, que la confusión hace virar a una rabia contenida que no sabes canalizar. La mujer con la que te hiciste ilusiones te convoca porque no le queda de otra, tiene que poner en tus manos una responsabilidad compartida de la que sin embargo no piensa hacerse cargo ella. En el calor de la estufa de tu habitación ves tu vocación frustrada, una vida posible que te hubiera llevado a conocer la mujer que idealizas, que no es la perra que te utiliza ni la vecina de enfrente que está fuera de tu alcance.

Tu mundo es desolado, tu mente un planeta cavernoso e infranqueable que lo gobierna un enfermo que no es tu amigo. En una genial secuencia de pesadillas te conviertes a plenitud en el monstruo de tus responsabilidades. No hay lugar para tu cabeza, que se te revela como materia prima ideal para fabricar borradores: un instrumento del olvido, que busca eliminar una realidad hacia la cual te sientes alienado. 9/10
November 6, 2016
Everyone is lying. This movie is one of the worst I've ever seen. No dialogue and hardly has a story line. It's horribly boring with the only excitement being the iconic baby scene.
October 21, 2016
Creepy debut picture by Lynch that established his disturbing and sometimes incomprehensible filmmaking. The cast does their job, with the lead actor, Jack Nance, bringing the right mix of strangeness & bewilderment to what is going on. The real star, of course, is writer/director David Lynch, who makes a remarkable but weird debut, feeling the screen with some many strange images, from an alien baby to a woman living in a radiator, you never really know what is going on but will be mesmerized (it helps Lynch keeps the length at 90 minutes). It can often be frustrating, as Lynch never spells out what it all means (a popular theory it is a man's nightmare of becoming a parent) but it is interesting to watch. Like all Lynch films, an acquired taste but for Lynch fans, a great opening meal to his larger career.
October 8, 2016
Faithfully narrates the contorted pathways of a nightmare.
October 5, 2016
Thrilling, unsettling and disturbing yet strangely impactful.
September 11, 2016
El desconcertante debut de David Lynch. La alucinante trama que tiene cierto sabor a horror sicologico requiere mucha disciplina como espectador pero al final queda uno bien compensado.
August 19, 2016
Cinematic drugs. Sends you on a trip through almost every emotion known to man, and even some yet to be named. You will be able to hear colors after this experience.
August 10, 2016
Few people can do what David Lynch did with his debut. Creepy and unsetteling, Eraserhead is a surreal masterpiece that really deserves it's classic status.
½ July 30, 2016
Surrealism + art + ear numbing drones = David Lynch. One of those films that you know wasn't made to make money, but earned a whole heap of success within the film circle, especially the midnight screening movement in the 70's.
July 16, 2016
I don't get the adoration for this film. Guess I'm not artsy fartsy enough.
July 11, 2016
If you enjoy "freeing your mind," then watch Eraserhead -- and most likely, you will watch it several times, gaining new and creepy perspectives with each viewing. An unsettling and disturbing masterpiece.
July 9, 2016
I liked it a lot. David Lynch never makes any damn sense...but it makes little difference, in this film. Super creepy and a lot of fun. The music for this film was perfect. You can really lose yourself in this. Even if you read spoilers for the film...I think you would still be entertained, if you like weird stuff. One of Lynch's best...if not the best.
½ June 30, 2016
This is a character study beautifully directed by David Lynch. It is not for everyone. It's. look at a guy adjusting to life.
½ June 29, 2016
Not entirely sure how to really rate this. Anyone familiar with David Lynch's movies knows he does some pretty crazy shit anyway and this is just one weird ass movie. Unlike the more straight forward Wild at Heart or Blue Velvet this one is just all over the map from start to finish, probably Lynch's more experimental piece. The basic synopsis centers around a guy with a Kid n Play haircut who ends up getting his girlfriend (future wife) pregnant to which they end up having a deformed baby that resembles a alien more than a human being. But in fashion along the lines of 2001: A Space Odyssey and Pink Floyd's The Wall it uses a lot of crazy imagery along with a black and white theme that ends up being a total mind****. Certainly worth checking out if you are into this kind of stuff but i can not really rate it as good or bad, just crazy.

N/A
June 25, 2016
I always come back to this movie. Usually once a year. It's got something in between the lines that's so compelling - even amidst the cringe that accompanies every scene. Lynch at his best.
½ June 14, 2016
Don't believe the hype this movie is not scary, interesting or even entertaining, it's just plain boring and none of the movie even makes any sense, so avoid this piece of shit at all costs!!!
½ June 3, 2016
Accurately surmises my feelings on child rearing.

Weird for weird's sake doesn't phase me, in fact it's kind of my wheelhouse. What I do have trouble abiding in Eraserhead is how long Lynch will linger on each part of the film. He stays on each frame longer than seems humanly reasonable. It's like a comedian telling a joke that barely hits the first time, then retelling it three or four more times, then starring at his audience with his eyes and mouth open wide in anticipation. We had it the first time, just move on. I understand it's an intentional stylistic choice, but it doesn't mesh with me at all.
May 29, 2016
Hasn't aged a day, gripping and mind-bending, a masterpiece
May 10, 2016
A surreal movie a la Buñuel and one of the best films of David Lynch.