Evita - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Evita Reviews

July 5, 2016
I really enjoyed this. Great movie. Great casting. Madonna is perfect in this role.
October 5, 2015
The famous American Biographical Historical Political Drama Musical starring Madonna and co-starring Antonio Banderas was a very good film with a few issues. First and foremost, whether it makes sense or not the film is about historical events in Argentina, and I know damn well the primary language of the country isn't English, so they just messed up hardcore there. Especially since the majority of all the signs from the crowd were in EspaƱol.

The film's pacing was a little awkward, the opening scene was awkward, but I guess that's what they did back in the day when these kind of things happened. The choice of it to be a musical was also probably super awkward, and I doubt was the original intention. The pacing at the end does seem to drag on a bit, around the last half hour, I was like they could have probably cut out about ten minutes of content. Now, that's enough about the plot, let's talk about it as a musical.

Well, what do you want me to say? It's a musical in its earnest fashion. There will be no more than 60 seconds without music playing in the background or singing, even if the song is only nine words. This was a hardcore musical and being that it isn't a typical musical because it's a biopic, they pulled it off pretty well. The ending was superb and perfect, it doesn't end like a typical. Again, this isn't a typical musical. Also, as a musical, this seems to have more tracks than a regular musical.

I swear there had to be no more than 20 spoken words in the whole film by the main characters. Antonio Banderas' character is just confusing, he's sort of a narrator. Yes, a narrator in a musical. I don't know if he ever actually existed in the film's plot or not, I'd have to research that. His role was hilarious, and he seemed a bit like a troll. He had a hilarious habit of constantly breaking the fourth wall which along with his general character helped break monotony.
½ October 4, 2015
I love Alan Parker, but what the fuck is the deal with this movie?
May 25, 2015
VERY singy & confusing
½ May 22, 2015
Although Alan Parker gives it his best shot, Madonna lacks the cinematic pretense and vocal abilities that this role required. And, interestingly, the plays satire of it's Fascist leading character has somehow been fizzled down to a vague sort of criticism.
½ April 28, 2015
No matter how good the rest of the actors are when the title character is played by a horrible actress the movie was doomed from the start.
March 24, 2015
good songs well crafted and a pregnant Madonna, can u tell she is?
February 28, 2015
Really impressed by the performances in this film. I was especially impressed by Madonna's performance. Antonio Banderas was amazing as well.
½ January 5, 2015
Between a 6/10 and 7/10, whether you think the movie is great or grisly, rests in large part on your palate for Andrew Lloyd Webber's music.
January 2, 2015
Pretty good adaptation. Great to see yet again and introduce the kids to it. Emma 9/10. Lucy 8/10.
½ December 19, 2014
Excellent! One Of The Top 10 Best Movies Of The 1990's! I LOVED It! A+
½ November 24, 2014
As far as musicals go it is below average, but the casting is great.
October 5, 2014
Captivating film! Good music and incredible acting. Terribly sad as well
October 5, 2014
It is always to go back and watch a good old movie. This one was a great production. Both Madonna and Banderas played great role. And the great music if Andrew Lloyd Webber makes this movie unforgivable.
September 24, 2014
For a musical film, the only catchy song is "Don't Cry for Me, Argentina", the rest are so literal and just mundane, maybe they should not adapt it to screen musical at all. The story is inspiring though.
September 14, 2014
Aside from the controversial rock musical JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR, another one of composer Andrew Lloyd Webber's biggest staples on Broadway was this biographical musical about the First Lady of Argentina. It's not a particularly flattering portrayal of the character, either. In fact it's a rather controversial one, which is understandable considering that some could see her actions as manipulative and self-serving while others still see her as an influential figure in Argentina. Arguably the real star of this film version, however, is not necessarily Madonna as the title character (although she DOES do an excellent job), but rather Antonio Banderas, who gives both the best performance and arguably makes the movie worth my highest rating. As the film's narrator Che (who takes a very negative side with Evita from the get go), Banderas sings with robust energy and charisma, bringing a genuinely likable presence to an otherwise grim and heavy movie. Any scene where he unexpectedly pops up is a delight. Even if you may find the story difficult to follow at times (the film is shot intentionally as a music video with lots of quick cuts showing imagery that can be jarring at times), Bandera's performance and Lloyd Webber's legendary score is what makes EVITA. The music may seem schizophrenic to some viewers, though, because, like the film's MTV style, the score bounces back and forth from lilting Latin chorals to Spanish waltzes and, perhaps most incongruously, rock and roll. But all this is Webber's style of writing, for EVITA is, after all, a rock opera. Musicals like this are very rare to find today, and if you're a fan of such material, EVITA could well worth be checking out.
September 4, 2014
I liked the emphasis on tango and the fact that Banderas can sing. -- but the editing was a bit topsy turvy.
½ August 25, 2014
Even though the protagonist is a flawed, intriguing demagogue, this visually stunning but tiresome (and oversung) musical makes it hard for us to care, given how insufferable most of the songs are (except for two or three), like nearly everything made by Andrew Lloyd Webber.
August 22, 2014
Loved this movie - a great rendition of the musical by a talented performer.