Evita - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Evita Reviews

½ April 20, 2017
Personally I loved this, but it is quite different from the play
March 24, 2017
Yksi lempimusikaaleistani - tästä ei elokuva juuri parane. Mahtipontiset musat, taidokkaat tanssit, hieno tarina, kylmät väreet, Argentiina, Madonna ja Antonia Banderas. I just love it.
_________
Aiemmin kirjoitin:
Tämä on kyllä niin paras elokuva! Musiikit ovat sen verran hyvät, että kuuntelen niitä aika ajoin kuulokkeista töissäkin, mutta vielä(kään) ei kyllästytä. Kyllä Andrew Lloyd Webber osaa (vrt. myös Oopperan Kummitus). Kunnon mahtipontinen, sopivan surumielinen musikaali. Taustalla tositarina, mutta ylettömän palvonnan sijaanesitetään myös kritiikkiä (Antonio Banderasin hahmossa).
March 11, 2017
Madonna was born for this role! Flawless performance!
December 28, 2016
I really wanted to like this so badly but I simply couldn't. There is just so much filler, no humor, lots of cheese especially since all the background characters sing and some of you know how much i hate when that is overdone and there are really only 3 or 4 good songs which is very little when you look at the big picture. After we get into the "story" it is good for a while but after "A New Argentina" till the end it is definitely the worst musical film I've ever watched.
So balancing out the "kind of good" with "really bad" i'd give it a 2/5.
October 31, 2016
Best movie-performence by Madonna ever , the story oke ....the songs or one line singing-interventions were from Dreadfull to Great . SOMDVD
September 26, 2016
I really enjoyed this. Great movie. Great casting. Madonna is perfect in this role.
October 5, 2015
The famous American Biographical Historical Political Drama Musical starring Madonna and co-starring Antonio Banderas was a very good film with a few issues. First and foremost, whether it makes sense or not the film is about historical events in Argentina, and I know damn well the primary language of the country isn't English, so they just messed up hardcore there. Especially since the majority of all the signs from the crowd were in Español.

The film's pacing was a little awkward, the opening scene was awkward, but I guess that's what they did back in the day when these kind of things happened. The choice of it to be a musical was also probably super awkward, and I doubt was the original intention. The pacing at the end does seem to drag on a bit, around the last half hour, I was like they could have probably cut out about ten minutes of content. Now, that's enough about the plot, let's talk about it as a musical.

Well, what do you want me to say? It's a musical in its earnest fashion. There will be no more than 60 seconds without music playing in the background or singing, even if the song is only nine words. This was a hardcore musical and being that it isn't a typical musical because it's a biopic, they pulled it off pretty well. The ending was superb and perfect, it doesn't end like a typical. Again, this isn't a typical musical. Also, as a musical, this seems to have more tracks than a regular musical.

I swear there had to be no more than 20 spoken words in the whole film by the main characters. Antonio Banderas' character is just confusing, he's sort of a narrator. Yes, a narrator in a musical. I don't know if he ever actually existed in the film's plot or not, I'd have to research that. His role was hilarious, and he seemed a bit like a troll. He had a hilarious habit of constantly breaking the fourth wall which along with his general character helped break monotony.
½ October 4, 2015
I love Alan Parker, but what the fuck is the deal with this movie?
May 25, 2015
VERY singy & confusing
½ May 22, 2015
Although Alan Parker gives it his best shot, Madonna lacks the cinematic pretense and vocal abilities that this role required. And, interestingly, the plays satire of it's Fascist leading character has somehow been fizzled down to a vague sort of criticism.
½ April 28, 2015
No matter how good the rest of the actors are when the title character is played by a horrible actress the movie was doomed from the start.
March 24, 2015
good songs well crafted and a pregnant Madonna, can u tell she is?
February 28, 2015
Really impressed by the performances in this film. I was especially impressed by Madonna's performance. Antonio Banderas was amazing as well.
½ January 5, 2015
Between a 6/10 and 7/10, whether you think the movie is great or grisly, rests in large part on your palate for Andrew Lloyd Webber's music.
January 2, 2015
Pretty good adaptation. Great to see yet again and introduce the kids to it. Emma 9/10. Lucy 8/10.
½ December 19, 2014
Excellent! One Of The Top 10 Best Movies Of The 1990's! I LOVED It! A+
½ November 24, 2014
As far as musicals go it is below average, but the casting is great.
October 5, 2014
Captivating film! Good music and incredible acting. Terribly sad as well
October 5, 2014
It is always to go back and watch a good old movie. This one was a great production. Both Madonna and Banderas played great role. And the great music if Andrew Lloyd Webber makes this movie unforgivable.