Existenz - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cronenbergâ(TM)s finest.
March 9, 2019
This movie was terrible
February 12, 2019
It's good but not as good as I was hoping for. Its definitely ahead of it's time, as the themes explored are more than relevant now. The acting is ok at best, and the feel of the movie seems very dated (consider that The Matrix was made in the same year). I also wasn't a fan of the very ending because it was already very obvious that everyone watching the movie was thinking "is this still another layer of the game" so there was no need for the final line of the movie... it made it cheesy. Still it's a movie I'd recommend to older gamers or die hard sci-fi fans.
January 11, 2019
I'm not usually a sci fi fan but this film is amazing
October 13, 2018
The perfect movie for people who like bad movies.
September 20, 2018
this movie sounds awful but its actually very cool
April 28, 2018
Overly gooey and overly slimey, but still kinda fun. The best part is Willem Dafoe as expected, although the cast was great all around. It's like a quirky Inception, but a bit too quirky for me, and all around far from accessible. However, it is still a very interesting way of film making.
March 11, 2018
Super weird. kind of reminds me of lexx except not in space but in video games.probably the weirdest thing was whatsherface carrying everything around in a ski boot.
February 3, 2018
Too much beetles for my taste, but good plot at the end.
December 9, 2017
Long story short: it fucked my mind like really few movies ever managed to. And sorry for the bad words. It's Inception more than 10 years earlier. Less blockbuster and more cool.
Ps: The biodoors in that position and all the games done with them are totally a sexual element.
September 3, 2017
As a man that has a warped taste in film, I feel I must watch the craziest stuff out there, but yikes... I think Cronenberg needs a hug. This movie tried so hard to be good but it ended up dying in the starting gate and posthumously vomited all over itself. The problem is that like many other "mind bending" movies, they don't even try to be coherent. Just a little bit of would be nice, everything doesn't need to be a muddled mess. My disappointment was so great with Existenz, it's hard to stand. Thankfully David Cronenberg is one of the greatest directors and bounced back from this because movies like this are career killers.
½ July 20, 2017
Cool plot, for sure, and cliff hanger ending... but the second half of the movie felt a bit rushed so when we reached the end I felt a bit frustrated and unprepared. Definitely worth a watch for the creativity of the ideas though.
½ February 1, 2017
Wants to be Videodrome. Is NOT Videodrome.
½ January 11, 2017
A largely underestimated stylistic treasure
½ January 2, 2017
An intriguing, sci-fi fantasy horror movie with a teasing, mind bending plot and oddly erotic overtones. Thought provoking and a lot of fun. A great movie that works well within its budget.
½ November 28, 2016
Built on a gripping atmosphere of mystery, this is an intriguing sci-fi thriller that pulls us deeper and deeper into a highly strange universe that leaves us always curious to know more about - even if after a while it doesn't take us much to see where it is going.
½ September 23, 2016
only gets half cos 0 doesn't work
August 14, 2016
- The game controllers look like small Siamese boobs with 3 nipples. And yes, they're flesh colored.
- The gun shoots human teeth. THAT's how it got past the metal detectors!
- They're eating takeout from "Perky Pete's".
- People can get fitted with a bioport. It's how the, uh, game plugs into people.
-The PR guy for the game company, oddly, doesn't have one. But he does have a Canadian accent. "Being penetrated freaks me oot."
- Also, the best line in the movie.
- IT'S WILLEM DAFOE! He's a gas station attendant who's name is...are you ready...Gas.
- And it just so happens that he also installs bioports. "I haven't crippled anyone yet!"
- "You have to play the game, to find out why you have to play the game."
- Oh, that's gross. I've said that aboot 6 times now.
- That's an interesting twist.
- That's ANOTHER interesting twist.
- Now THAT is an Irish Wolfhound. Also, an interesting way to hide a gun.

Wow. That was an 11 on the camp scale.
½ June 7, 2016
great movie! what is reality? and how you know that what you see now, where you are now is real? what if that all is just a game? what if all around you is not real? what is just your imagination??
April 30, 2016
A really weird sci fi horror film where David Cronenberg explores the limits between reality and the virtual world of videogames.