The Faculty - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Faculty Reviews

October 19, 2016
Thanks to amazing cast this SF/ high-school drama about secret alien invasion rises above it's unoriginal premise and weak special effects.
½ October 12, 2016
This has a great cast and a fun story.
September 8, 2016
Not bad for a B+ horror flick
August 28, 2016
"You think aliens have infested our school?" the football star of "The Faculty" groans after hearing his classmates' fantastical claims for the first time. "Give me a fucking break." It'd be easy to side with his protests if we weren't so certain that we were in the midst of the teen movie version of "Invasion of the Body Snatchers." Over the course of a couple of days, the staff of the Ohio-based high school has gone from obviously miserable ("I'm saving my sick days for when I feel better," a flu-ridden nurse wheezes at one point) to strangely emotionless. Frumpy teachers have suddenly become sexy and direct. And, most bizarrely, the faculty appears is insatiably thirsty -- the staff room has essentially turned into a Britta storage room, with all instructors carrying around Big Gulp sized water bottles throughout the day. The discovery of a peculiar parasite on the grounds arouses uncertainty, too.
Clearly, something is amiss. And after Casey (Elijah Wood), the artistic wimp kids love to pick on, and Delilah (Jordana Brewster), the high's acid tongued Torchy Blane, witness something too "The X-Files" to be properly explained, suspicions are solidified. Since an alien invasion usually spells out world domination, matters are to be left in the hands of a feisty sextet prepared to use their years of built-up educational frustration as an unbeatable weapon.
Because "The Faculty" is such a knockabout of flavorful homage, looking mostly in the directions of "Rock 'n' Roll High School," "The Terminator," and "The Thing," it's a good thing that it takes advantage of a sly sense of humor and a resoundingly kooky atmosphere. Directed by Robert Rodriguez ("Sin City," "Machete") with amusing B-movie éclat and written by Kevin Williamson ("Scream," "I Know What You Did Last Summer") with fun camp spiced up with a plentiful amount of sharp one-liners, the film is an effectively outrageous dive into old-fashioned sci-fi made modern. Though its soundtrack is too nü-metal to remain fresh and though its longer-than-necessary running time gives it extra flab that leaves it more good than great, "The Faculty" is pulp at its weirdest and most enjoyable.
And with a spirited young cast that ultimately makes the material seem a hell of a lot more urgent than it actually is (I especially liked Clea DuVall's rendition of ever-scowling outcast Stokes and Brewster's big-headed quasi bully), "The Faculty" is a diverting cheap thrill to be watched alongside such likable modern schlockfests a la "Deep Blue Sea" and "Eight Legged Freaks." Memorable it ain't, but agreeable it is, and when it comes to grime of its type, it's a one-night fling I'm after, not love.
August 9, 2016
The Faculty has some cliches and unoriginal ideas from other sci-fi thrillers, but at the end of the day it is compelling enough to entertain, captivate and give some good scares to the audience.
August 7, 2016
Just another of those movies where alien parasites take over people's bodies. But as far as teen horror movies go, this one is different. Like, for once, we don't have any sex scenes, which in a way, is dissapointing. But in general, it's well acted and, even though it maybe high on the silly meter, it's also high on the entertainment meter. An overall satisfying movie. Recommended !!
July 13, 2016
This film certainly deserves some cult status. It's cheesy, entertaining and surprisingly amusing.
July 5, 2016
Every student ever has gone through a phase where they believed that their teacher(s) where out to get them. I have, you have admit it. Well in this case, your fears are completely justified.

The movie is certainly unique and provides some interesting moments. However, over all, I felt it was rather flat. The characters never really got moments to shine brighter than a gleam. That can the rather "forced" characterization post invasion seemed a bit off. Some people learned lessons because that's what the screenplay told them to learn, not because they really needed to change.

Oh well. People going through dramatic changes on a dime with no real reason while many in authority look the other way to some really strange shit they should be more concerned with. Yep, that sounds like High School after all.
June 8, 2016
What a hot 90's cast! A pretty good horror movie, but still not very terrifying... A sci-fi at its best. Josh Harnett = yummy!
Un beau mix d'acteurs, un bon film d'horreurs pas trop effrayant quand même... Josh Hartnett est craquant!
½ June 3, 2016
So many soon to be stars and a couple that had already made it turned out for a rather run of the mill sci-fi made decent enough by the cast, director (he of sin city) and producer (Weinstein). The plot device for success came out of nowhere, and rather let it down.
June 1, 2016
Following the success of Wes Craven's original Scream, the horror genre of the mid to late 90s changed drastically. Traditional slashers were out and tongue in cheek thrillers were in. These horror movies carried themselves with a humorous self-aware feel, poking fun at genre conventions and clichés from past years. Although this fad has slowly died out over time, Robert Rodriguez's The Faculty is a prime example of it at its peak. This is certainly an entertaining film on its own merits, but there's another layer of fun to be had rewatching this in hindsight and seeing what was "hip" and "cool" at the time.

The best way to sum up this film is MTV's take on Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Six students at a local suburban high school, all embodying a specific teenager stereotype such as "the nerd" and "the rich girl", put aside their different social standings to come together and fight off a worldwide alien threat using their knowledge of old sci-fi movies. It's about as ridiculous as it sounds and the filmmakers treat the subject matter as such. What really helps elevate this movie above its schlocky premise is that all the actors involved, teen and adult, are committed to making this work. You enjoy watching them have fun with the material but at the same time want to see their characters succeed. What's also great is the writing. Kevin Williamson of the Scream franchise returns for this movie and manages to both keep the narrative flowing at a quick pace as well as allow time for some fun dialogue and ample pop culture references. In fact, those familiar with the characters of The Breakfast Club, another heavy influence, can probably guess the film's big twist ending.

At the end of the day, The Faculty is an obvious product of its time but it makes for a fun time capsule movie. Great actors, snappy dialogue, and some fun creature effects make for a highly entertaining piece.
May 26, 2016
Somehow I missed this movie in the '90s. Not bad. Strong cast of young up-and-coming actors. Decent soundtrack. A spot of nudity. Cheesy pre-CGI special effects look kind of dumb by today's standards.
May 26, 2016
My favorite movie of all time!!!
April 11, 2016
"The Faculty" is mysterious and partly inventive fun, with pretty good acting!
April 10, 2016
I was expecting more from this. Not much more but something. Plot was weird, not sure I was big on the whole teacher is a monster sort of thing.
½ March 31, 2016
Really enjoyed this, kind of lame and cliched but in a deliberate way. But very interesting. And holy shit does this movie have a great cast!!
February 5, 2016
surprising movie. I knew nothing about it going in, and that made the experience so much better. interesting fun story with good suspense and some startling moments as well as good comedic relief. (1 viewing)
January 23, 2016
I have to somewhat cut this film right down the middle. All-star cast in one corner. In another corner, awkward scene transition and generic plot. The film clearly pays homage to films of the last such as the original especially, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, rather than not-so-good '70s remake. But in reality, the entire remake is based on the '80s cut of The Thing. Clearly. Absolutely.

It's a fun film basically about the entire school being taken over by an alien race. It feels very '90s. No doubt about that.
½ January 17, 2016
There's not a lot of alien flicks I can tolerate, but even I have to admit: The Faculty was a lot of fun.