The Faculty - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Faculty Reviews

½ April 30, 2017
Very good re-make of 'Body Snatchers' with it set in high school. One of my favorite horror movies of the 90's. The ending kind of sucked though.
½ April 24, 2017
Fue mas divertido ver cuando eran jovenes :-)
Daniel Mumby
½ March 24, 2017
People who love classic works of literature often take a very puritanical view towards adaptations which update the setting, change the language, or otherwise make them more teen-friendly. They hold that the likes of Shakespeare, Dickens and Austen hold up without having to make concessions for more modern forms of speech and custom, and that repositioning them for adolescents doesn't so much pull in a new audience as provide them with an easy excuse for never reading the books in the first place.

While many people will watch a period drama without ever reading the book on which it may be based, the opposite view holds just as much water. When done properly, modern, teen-friendly takes on classic stories can demonstrate just how hardy and universally appreciated these tales can be - and in the late-1990s and early-2000s, there were plenty of examples from which to choose. Jane Austen fans had Clueless (based on Emma), Shakespeare fans had Get Over It (A Midsummer Night's Dream), and fans of sex and vengeance had Cruel Intentions (Dangerous Liaisons). And then there's The Faculty which, while far from perfect, demonstrates the lingering influence on our culture of Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

There's certainly an argument for making a late-1990s version of 'Body Snatchers, given the large number of adaptations which have preceded it. The original film, directed by Don Siegel, was a classic 1950s B-movie which reflected McCarthy-era fears in America of communist infiltration, with the pod people standing in for 'reds under the bed'. In the late-1970s, Philip Kaufman's terrifying remake satirised the 'me' generation and post-Watergate paranoia, with an ending which is still one of the scariest and bleakest in 1970s cinema.

The 1980s and 1990s saw two different, sideways takes on the story, namely John Carpenter's They Live and Abel Ferrara's Body Snatchers. While primarily based on the short story Eight O'Clock in the Morning, They Live has 'Body Snatchers running right through it, using it to send up consumerism, advertising and the kind of anti-intellectualism that the likes of Neil Postman and Aldous Huxley had warned about. Ferrara's 'Body Snatchers, which came hot on the heels of Bad Lieutenant, pared the story down and confined its setting to an army base to make a point about social conformity and a loss of purpose for America after the Cold War had ended.

The Faculty has a lot of John Carpenter running through it, reflecting the premise in They Live of ordinary people finding out that the powers-that-be have been supplanted, but substituting construction workers for high school students. It attempts, and largely succeeds, in using the different cliques in high school as a vector for paranoia; people who would never normally socialise are forced to work together, with each one being asked to trust people who would naturally withhold information from everyone who isn't in their friendship circles.

The main point of reference, however, is Carpenter's remake of The Thing, with the pens filled with drugs standing in rather creatively for the petri dishes full of blood. The Faculty doesn't have the same unrelenting claustophobia that The Thing possessed - high school is, despite what some may feel, less oppressive than the Antarctic. Its ending is also more predictably upbeat - but that's not hard, given how cold and nihlistic The Thing's final scene was. But the film follows all the main beats of Carpenter's film quite nicely, keeping as much suspense as it can while still being more of a crowd-pleaser than a fully-fledged shocker.

Taken as an adaptation of 'Body Snatchers - with bits of The Stepford Wives thrown in here and there - The Faculty works rather well, transliterating all the major plot developments and character arcs within a conventional but believable setting. The CGI is less overtly scary than Rob Bottin's groundbreaking effects from The Thing, but until the final showdown with the queen the effects are well-rendered and have a logical physicality to them. Some of the twists are well-executed and surprising, others make sense but are telegraphed to the audience; you won't shrink into your seat in terror like in the Kaufman version, but there's plenty of little jumps here and there.

Where the film starts to falter is in its desire to be somewhat self-aware. While the script had been kicking around Hollywood since 1990, it wasn't put into production until the success of Scream, with Bob and Harvey Weinstein bringing in Ghostface creator Kevin Williamson to do rewrites. The film does have a post-modern quality to it, with characters making quips about touchstones of the genre, and this desire to be snarky and slightly above the material often works against the need to create a creepy, unrelenting atmosphere.

The film is also firmly in the shadow of The X Files, which was hitting its peak around this time - it even shares the same typeface as the show's title sequence. Despite the rich heritage of 'Body Snatchers, the film occasionally has the scale and feel of a TV episode; you almost expect Mulder and Scully to turn up any minute and take over the investigation (like the FBI so often does in stories like this). Robert Rodriguez - who was very much a gun for hire on this film - wrings the most he can out of the set-up and the potential for splatter, but it's still a modest, little offering.

Because it's so rooted in the high school sub-genre, The Faculty is also guilty of making too many concessions to generic convention. A pre-Lord of the Rings Elijah Wood puts in a good performance here, but since he survives up to the halfway point, it quickly becomes certain that he will still be alive at the end - the legacy of Revenge of the Nerds as much as 'final girl' horror scenarios. Equally, the whole sexy teacher routine that Famke Janssen puts on is made just about credible by her knowingly ripe performance, but it's also a lazy bit of writing designed to pander to the target audience (albeit less lazy than Liz Hurley's similar get-up in the Bedazzled remake).

Aside from Wood and Janssen, the other performances in The Faculty are a complete mixed bag. Josh Hartnett is a convincing and likeable screen presence, which makes it all the more perplexing why his career didn't continue on its upward path after 40 Days and 40 Nights. Laura Harris - who had a small part in the It TV miniseries - is also enjoyable as Marybeth, managing to maintain her dignity in the locker room scene even with the gratuitous nudity. Otherwise, Robert Patrick and Selma Hayak are playing completely to type, and there's a needless but thankfully brief cameo from Harry Knowles, founder of Ain't It Cool News.

The Faculty is an enjoyable and entertaining take on Invasion of the Body Snatchers which makes up for its many faults through some good performances and largely decent special effects. It's hardly the most original or best executed take on the story, and its efforts to cash in on the success of Scream are seldom to its advantage. But taken on its own, as either a bunch of horror references or a high school drama with a difference, it's hard to pass up.
February 7, 2017
Terrifically fun sci-fi/horror film from director Robert Rodriguez and screenwriter Kevin Williamson. The story is essentially "Invasion of the Body Snatcher" meet "The Breakfast Club." When alien parasites begin to take over a high school staff and then begin taking over the student body, a group of disparate students, a brain... ...and an athlete... ...and a basket case... ...a princess... ...and a criminal, find themselves working together to stop the invasion. In some ways the film is even more fun to watch now because some of the cast are now much bigger starts than when the film came out; Jordana Brewster (the princess), Clea DuVall (the basket case), Josh Hartnett (the criminal), and Elijah Wood (the brain). There are also quite a few fun cast members making up the school faculty including Salma Hayek, Famke Janssen, Piper Laurie, Bebe Neuwirth, Robert Patrick, Jon Stewart, Harry Jay Knowles, and Louis Black. Overall, this isn't a film does feel different and more mainstream than most of Rodriguez's other scrappy films, but it does have a slick feel that's an awful lot of fun and is a movie that I think deserves more respect than it gets.
½ December 17, 2016
Underrated great horror sci-fi, with an excellent cast
½ December 11, 2016
Terrible sci-fi ripoff that is nowhere as clever as it wants to be.
½ November 27, 2016
i love this movie ive seen it a few times people that say its a rip off many movies are so i don't how that matters really its a good movie with a great story and actors this movie is really underrated its a must see to me
½ October 31, 2016
I honestly don't even know why I was compelled to watch this. I talked yesterday about the cheeseball 80s horror films, so I felt it was time to give the 90s a shot. And this had to be post-Scream, because 90s horror movies, prior to Scream, was probably THE worst decade for horror movies in general. I don't think there's any doubt about that. And it's not even like the entire decade was elevated, I still think it's probably the worst possible decade for horror in history. Not saying that there weren't good movies, of course, just that there wasn't as much high quality films being put out as in other decades. This is one of those films that would benefit from quarter ratings because this is what I would call better than average, but I wouldn't call it good. With that said, this movie holds up surprisingly well all things considered. It's obviously influenced by Scream, setting-wise at least, which shouldn't surprise anyone as it was written by Kevin Williamson, also the writer for three of the four Scream movies. The fact is that the movie, obviously, borrows heavily from Invasion of the Body Snatchers (and its book, which is in turn a "rip-off" of The Puppet Masters) and there's also elements of The Thing here as well, in that the teens eventually start to become mistrustful of one another and there's the paranoia that goes along with that. But, honestly, and I'm not even saying this was anything more than a cheeseball 90s horror flick, they do get a lot of entertaining moments out of this concept. Can I put one moment out that, specifically, would fit that description? No, not really. But it's really a culmination of a variety of different scenes that add up to an somewhat entertaining genre diversion. It's not a great movie, for sure, and I don't blame anyone for holding this film's influences against it. What I mean by that is the fact that this wouldn't exist, in its current form, without the films I previously mentioned. Because of that, some might call this a rip-off. I wouldn't go that far, but I can see how people might see it that way. The similarities are obvious, and they even reference the films/books in question, but I don't think it's as shameless as some might suggest. I feel that it's more of a loving tribute to those films as opposed to simply ripping off their concept. And I say this because Robert Rodriguez directed this movie and he's one of those filmmakers that loves to play tributes to the classics. Though this movie doesn't have as much of a Rodriguez touch as, say, Machete. If you weren't told that this was a Robert Rodriguez movie, you wouldn't have known it. I feel that if they had given Rodriguez more freedom to make the movie his own, the fact that it's a loving tribute would have been more obvious. As it stands, again, it's not a great movie by any means. It's not even what I would call good, but I found myself entertained by this. It borrows heavily from the classics, but that shouldn't dissuade you from giving this a shot. The ending isn't great, though, where everything is solved as if nothing had actually happened. They just waved their little wand and made everything go away. Which is always a cheap ending to me, no matter how you slice it, so that definitely took away from it. There should always, to me, being some sort of consequence to everything that happened and there's no such thing to speak of in this movie. It didn't even have to be something major, but the principal was killed and they don't even make mention of it after the queen parasite is killed. Ah well, it is what it is, but it worked against it. I had a fun enough time with this in spite of it all, though it's still nothing more than a better than average film.
October 19, 2016
Thanks to amazing cast this SF/ high-school drama about secret alien invasion rises above it's unoriginal premise and weak special effects.
½ October 12, 2016
This has a great cast and a fun story.
September 8, 2016
Not bad for a B+ horror flick
August 28, 2016
"You think aliens have infested our school?" the football star of "The Faculty" groans after hearing his classmates' fantastical claims for the first time. "Give me a fucking break." It'd be easy to side with his protests if we weren't so certain that we were in the midst of the teen movie version of "Invasion of the Body Snatchers." Over the course of a couple of days, the staff of the Ohio-based high school has gone from obviously miserable ("I'm saving my sick days for when I feel better," a flu-ridden nurse wheezes at one point) to strangely emotionless. Frumpy teachers have suddenly become sexy and direct. And, most bizarrely, the faculty appears is insatiably thirsty -- the staff room has essentially turned into a Britta storage room, with all instructors carrying around Big Gulp sized water bottles throughout the day. The discovery of a peculiar parasite on the grounds arouses uncertainty, too.
Clearly, something is amiss. And after Casey (Elijah Wood), the artistic wimp kids love to pick on, and Delilah (Jordana Brewster), the high's acid tongued Torchy Blane, witness something too "The X-Files" to be properly explained, suspicions are solidified. Since an alien invasion usually spells out world domination, matters are to be left in the hands of a feisty sextet prepared to use their years of built-up educational frustration as an unbeatable weapon.
Because "The Faculty" is such a knockabout of flavorful homage, looking mostly in the directions of "Rock 'n' Roll High School," "The Terminator," and "The Thing," it's a good thing that it takes advantage of a sly sense of humor and a resoundingly kooky atmosphere. Directed by Robert Rodriguez ("Sin City," "Machete") with amusing B-movie éclat and written by Kevin Williamson ("Scream," "I Know What You Did Last Summer") with fun camp spiced up with a plentiful amount of sharp one-liners, the film is an effectively outrageous dive into old-fashioned sci-fi made modern. Though its soundtrack is too nü-metal to remain fresh and though its longer-than-necessary running time gives it extra flab that leaves it more good than great, "The Faculty" is pulp at its weirdest and most enjoyable.
And with a spirited young cast that ultimately makes the material seem a hell of a lot more urgent than it actually is (I especially liked Clea DuVall's rendition of ever-scowling outcast Stokes and Brewster's big-headed quasi bully), "The Faculty" is a diverting cheap thrill to be watched alongside such likable modern schlockfests a la "Deep Blue Sea" and "Eight Legged Freaks." Memorable it ain't, but agreeable it is, and when it comes to grime of its type, it's a one-night fling I'm after, not love.
August 9, 2016
The Faculty has some cliches and unoriginal ideas from other sci-fi thrillers, but at the end of the day it is compelling enough to entertain, captivate and give some good scares to the audience.
August 7, 2016
Just another of those movies where alien parasites take over people's bodies. But as far as teen horror movies go, this one is different. Like, for once, we don't have any sex scenes, which in a way, is dissapointing. But in general, it's well acted and, even though it maybe high on the silly meter, it's also high on the entertainment meter. An overall satisfying movie. Recommended !!
July 13, 2016
This film certainly deserves some cult status. It's cheesy, entertaining and surprisingly amusing.
July 5, 2016
Every student ever has gone through a phase where they believed that their teacher(s) where out to get them. I have, you have admit it. Well in this case, your fears are completely justified.

The movie is certainly unique and provides some interesting moments. However, over all, I felt it was rather flat. The characters never really got moments to shine brighter than a gleam. That can the rather "forced" characterization post invasion seemed a bit off. Some people learned lessons because that's what the screenplay told them to learn, not because they really needed to change.

Oh well. People going through dramatic changes on a dime with no real reason while many in authority look the other way to some really strange shit they should be more concerned with. Yep, that sounds like High School after all.
June 8, 2016
What a hot 90's cast! A pretty good horror movie, but still not very terrifying... A sci-fi at its best. Josh Harnett = yummy!
Un beau mix d'acteurs, un bon film d'horreurs pas trop effrayant quand même... Josh Hartnett est craquant!
½ June 3, 2016
So many soon to be stars and a couple that had already made it turned out for a rather run of the mill sci-fi made decent enough by the cast, director (he of sin city) and producer (Weinstein). The plot device for success came out of nowhere, and rather let it down.
June 1, 2016
Following the success of Wes Craven's original Scream, the horror genre of the mid to late 90s changed drastically. Traditional slashers were out and tongue in cheek thrillers were in. These horror movies carried themselves with a humorous self-aware feel, poking fun at genre conventions and clichés from past years. Although this fad has slowly died out over time, Robert Rodriguez's The Faculty is a prime example of it at its peak. This is certainly an entertaining film on its own merits, but there's another layer of fun to be had rewatching this in hindsight and seeing what was "hip" and "cool" at the time.

The best way to sum up this film is MTV's take on Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Six students at a local suburban high school, all embodying a specific teenager stereotype such as "the nerd" and "the rich girl", put aside their different social standings to come together and fight off a worldwide alien threat using their knowledge of old sci-fi movies. It's about as ridiculous as it sounds and the filmmakers treat the subject matter as such. What really helps elevate this movie above its schlocky premise is that all the actors involved, teen and adult, are committed to making this work. You enjoy watching them have fun with the material but at the same time want to see their characters succeed. What's also great is the writing. Kevin Williamson of the Scream franchise returns for this movie and manages to both keep the narrative flowing at a quick pace as well as allow time for some fun dialogue and ample pop culture references. In fact, those familiar with the characters of The Breakfast Club, another heavy influence, can probably guess the film's big twist ending.

At the end of the day, The Faculty is an obvious product of its time but it makes for a fun time capsule movie. Great actors, snappy dialogue, and some fun creature effects make for a highly entertaining piece.