Fanboys - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fanboys Reviews

September 16, 2016
Starring:Sam Huntington, Chris Marquette, Dan Fogler, Jay Baruchel, Kristen Bell, Seth Rogen, William Shatner, Carrie Fisher, Ethan Suplee, Christopher McDonald, Danny Trejo, Billy Dee Williams, Kevin Smith, Jason Mewes, Zak Knutson, Ray Park, Danny McBride, and Allie Grant
Directed By:Kyle Newman
You know this movie defines my life in a nutshell, just a bunch of geeky ass fanboys wanting to see Star Wars movies, who love star wars and would probably do something like this if any one of us, was dying of cancer. I have never even been to a midnight screening for a Star Wars flick, but when that day comes I'm going to remember this movie because I am a Fanboy.
The film revolves around a bunch of Star Wars fanboys Eric, Linus, Hutch, Windows and one fangirl named Zoe, when they find out Linus is diagnosed with cancer they all band together to complete a dream they had ever since they were in high school to go to the Skywalker Ranch so they can all watch Star Wars: Episode I-The Phantom Menace before it's release.
I found this to be a love letter to any star wars fan or any fanboy in particular cause the characters pursue this movie because Star Wars is their passion and they all want to watch it together because it's what brought them together in the first place. Any fan of Marvel, Dc, Anime, and especially Star Wars would want to do this with their friends if they found out one was dying or was sick.
The thing that sticks out to me most in the film are all the cameos, Eric as a character, windows,and all the absurdity of this mission they have dedicated themselves too, the film also pokes fun at Star Trek and I found that to be a lot of fun considering I like both franchises but I like Star Wars a lot better of course.
As you can probably already tell I love the story for this film about a group of friends going to the Skywalker Ranch to see episode I before their friends passing, cause as a fan of Star Wars should feel during this picture is warm in the heart by doing everything you can to watch a film to a franchise you love before your friend passes away, that is touching. Because every Star Wars fan would want to see it before it's release.
The movie does achieve it's goal cause when I laughed, I laughed really hard, but it didn't make laugh too much in the film but the things that kept me entertained were the characters, the situations, overall story and cameos.
The performances are not all that great either I did like most of them, however I didn't like Danny McBride, Seth Rogen, or David Denman. I enjoyed everyone else but my favorite performances have to be from Sam Huntington and Jay Baruchel.
The direction was surprisingly good but isn't great work, the film is just carried by the performances and great writing by Ernest Cline, Adam F. Goldberg, and Dan Pulick.
The film as a whole does come together for me, I've noticed a lot of people don't like this movie but you know what I'm not ashamed to say I freaking love this film,it has some really great funny moments while very few numbers,it has good performances, it has great writing and I am THE FANBOY, so you know what, I love this film, I give Fanboys a four out of five.
August 22, 2016
I loved Fanboys! Just a light hearted funny movie for us nerd loving dorks :)
July 27, 2016
This movie is an ABOMINATION! Not ounly does it belittle Star Trek fans with the character of Adiral Seasholtz(Seth Rogen), but it excuses its main protagonist BREAKING THE FUCKING LAW. Those Starwoid ASSHOLES literally STARTED their fight with the Star Trek dudes by refusing serv ice to them calling them "Kirk-loving Spock Suckers" and barging into Riverside, Iowa to antagonize the local Trekkers. Plus those rotten little snowflakes committed the three crimes of VANDALISM, SPEEDING, and TRESPASSING and got out of trouble easy for it! This movie has no emphasis on having ANY reality to your life since its main protagonists are celebrated for thinking that the FANTASY of Star Wars saturation is more important than REALITY, SICK!
½ May 31, 2016
Middling laughs, but it's heart is in the right place.
½ May 11, 2016
It's meant to be a heartfelt tribute to dedicated sci-fi fanboys but only further supports the tired, obnoxious stereotypes already associated with geeks and nerds. I'm doubtful most intelligent film fanatics will appreciate being referred to as socially-inept virgins. Seth Rogen does earn points for working double time as both a Russian (?) pimp and an outrageous Trekkie clan leader.
April 11, 2016
Tiene su corazón, pero se pierde en una marea llena de chicles de perdedores que resulta ser divertidas por momentos, pero su gracia desaparece rápidamente.
½ March 29, 2016
Grade: D+. It was whatever. There were a couple laughs here and there, but for the most part, nothing great happened.
March 16, 2016
It's kind of affectionate and has some funny moments, and it certainly has this infectious, dedicated love for all things Star Wars, but otherwise it's just a crude, horny mess.
I enjoyed the Seth Rogen cameos, though.

SIDE NOTE: Hiccup/Anna shippers might be amused by the romance subplot.
January 7, 2016
Watch it if you're a Star Wars fan, you'll enjoy the references.
December 29, 2015
This movie looks really funny if your a fan of kevin smith movies or comics in general
½ December 17, 2015
Star Wars fans might find something to like in this, but I didn't enjoy it. The characters were mostly irritating, and the humour quite uninspired. It does pick up a little bit towards the end, when we see a slew of cameos. I know this film has been muddled with a lot by the producers, so I don't know what the original cut would have been like - but this one's a Menace.
½ December 15, 2015
Seemed like a fitting movie to watch two days before a new Star Wars movie comes out! A silly, nerdy movie that knows it's not very good but will make you long as you've seen Star Wars to get all the references. Good fun.
½ December 8, 2015
Not so bad for real. And is a movie you must rewatch if it makes you remember those awesome episodes of The Big Bang Theory (coz that's what came to my head) and also coz Star Wars Force Awakens (VII) is right aroung the corner...but please, don't be a freak (be a loyal fan, but not a fanatic). Just saying...
August 18, 2015
Star Wars fanatics will love this. I enjoyed it, but anyone else will roll there eyes.
June 24, 2015
One of my favorite comedies of all time
May 22, 2015
Star Wars and Star Trek fans will find the force in Fanboys, but general movie-goers may not see the funny.

In the world of film geekdom it all comes down to one simple question, Star Wars or Star Trek? Personally, I'm a jedi kind of guy over those Starfleet folk. And as a "fanboy" myself, there's a ton to take away from this picture. It's the American Pie of Star Wars. Crude jokes, sci-fi references and stellar cameos ride the course of the movie, as four Star Wars geeks try to penetrate George Lucas' Skywalker Ranch. The year is 1998 and six months before Episode 1: The Phantom Menace is released; our four fanatics want to see a rough cut of the movie before anyone else.

Fanboys is filled with the junk film buffs love: Mass quantities of inside jokes and hilarious cameos by cult heroes like Kevin Smith, Billy Dee Williams, Carrie Fisher and of course, William Shatner. But for those who waited in line for the midnight screening of The Phantom Menace (guilty), you'll be surprised to find something more poignant. You may find yourself laughing at just how silly it was to setup shop 24 hours before hand to grab tickets to a movie that is now hailed as the death of the franchise. And Fanboys is definitely something to share with that guy you hung out with in high school arguing over the forbidden love of Luke & Leia. And for the record, they didn't know they were brother and sister!

I just moved into a new place with two ladies. Neither of them know anything about "Han shooting first" or the replacement of Sebastian Shaw in the re-mastered final "Jedi" scene. So while watching Fanboys, I remember how growing up sometimes means leaving behind things you love. My former roommate (Mark) and I would debate for hours how Yoda should've been able to take the Emperor in Revenge of the Sith. Or how Harrison Ford really was the best part of Star Wars and how Luke was a tool - well, until Jabba's palace. And it sucks that we have to move away from the good times in our lives, no matter how dorky, because they made us who we are. And yes, it matters to us.

Mark and I are no longer roommates and I'm going to miss those times, but just like the movie will attest to, moving forward doesn't necessary have to mean you give up on your own "Death Star" (Luke's superlative moment in history). Mark's out doing that now and I'm here writing for you, piecing these moments together.

Fanboys may not be the best movie, and it doesn't score as well as Road Trip, American Pie or even Tomcats but what you do take away from this corny romp will probably be something like I did. A film with really good intentions, and a fantastic message: Growing up doesn't mean you have to give up who you used to be.
April 6, 2015
This film was hysterical! Of course, you yourself should be a fanboy to catch all the winks and references that were packed full in this movie as it makes nonstop fun of itself. Very satisfying especially if you don't mind some Trekkie humor as well!
½ April 5, 2015
A character film that sputters along. Some funny parts, some pop-culture, but not quite enough plot/character development to have an interesting, decently paced film.
March 18, 2015
A must see movie for ALL Star Wars fans!!