Fast & Furious - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fast & Furious Reviews

½ November 24, 2017
This is one of these 107-minute testosterone movies guys crave every once in awhile, some more than others. Being a somewhat-old guy, I don't look as these as often anymore but every once in awhile it's fun to kick back and just watch fast cars, loose women, wild action and fairly-brainless film.

There isn't much of a plot but my guess is people who are fans of this film series don't care. Just give us the above - muscle cars, macho men, sexy babes and a few great chase scenes - and that's all that is asked. I thought the best scene was the first one, a chase down mountain in the Dominican Republic. That was like a James Bond opening scene: a real attention-getter.

After that, you get the normal F&F material, which glamorizes things that shouldn't be (racing through crowded streets, etc.) but also has the "good" guys going to capture a drug lord from Mexico.....and a lot of punks along the way. They all sneer and have a lot of tattoos.

I've only seen this one and the first in the series but from what I read here, I've seen the two best of the four Fast & Furious films. Vin Diesel helps make them a notch above the others, I suspect. He's always interesting as "Dom Toretto" and his character is the most credible.Fast and Furious, or 4 Fast 4 Furious if you're keeping count, is a movie you can basically sum up in one sentence. Muscle guys, muscle cars, hot chicks, and incredible action sequences. Not much has changed in the four films other than who the muscle guys wind up being played by but nonetheless, if you're going to the movies strictly to continually watch these things, then not only will this series run forever, but you should have no problem sitting through this fourth flick. Of course the other thing to look at here is the resurrection of Vin Diesel's action star persona, and considering he's been doing movies like "Babylon AD" and "The Pacifier" for the past couple years, you can basically say this is one of his better performances in a real long time.

The plot is pretty thin but I'm sure for fans of the first movie it will be nice to see the two leads back playing their roles. Diesel reprises wanted felon Dom Toretto, who after escaping at the end of the first movie seems to have started a new life in the Dominican Republic knocking over trucks. What brings him back to Los Angeles is revenge for the death of his girlfriend (Michelle Rodriguez) at the hands of brutal drug dealers led by Braga. This brings him face to face with the man who infiltrated his gang in the first flick, Brian O'Connor (Paul Walker), now an FBI agent going after the same drug dealers. And wouldn't you know that driving plays a big part in Braga's whole smuggling operation so both Brian and Dom team up, amidst some trust issues, to bring down the drug cartel.

Hopefully director Justin Lin ("Tokyo Drift") gets the credit he deserves this time around. He's fantastic with these action sequences, not only making them pulse-pounding thrill rides but also letting you feel like you're in the car with these characters. The movie starts out brilliantly with a propane truck hi-jacking that turns life or death when things get out of control and the truck barrels down on the hi-jackers, and then just continues to go full throttle, staging a race on a crowded Los Angeles street and then chases in an underground tunnel shaft. Once these characters get in their cars you won't be bored for a moment.

Outside the car is a different matter though. Both actors do what they can. Diesel is adrenaline personified. With his gravelly voice, bulging biceps, and cool, playful way around a line of dialogue, he's a lot of fun to watch. And while still pretty wooden, I admit that Walker has a pretty-boy face and an athletic physicality that makes him a good hero. This pairing worked well in the first movie, sort of like an amateur, yet entertaining, version of the adrenaline-seeking- cop and criminal formula a la "Point Break." Just after four movies it's all gotten stale and it's easy to see that the cars are the real stars here. The Dom-Brian conflict and Dom's vendetta against the cartel is mostly overshadowed and there isn't much for either character to do when away from their vehicles. Diesel and Walker try but they always seem to be a couple wheels short of competing with the four-wheel drive.

"Fast and Furious" deserves credit for doing the key things well. If your expecting much from anything other than the cars then it's a disappointment, but thanks to Justin Lin this has all the makings of a really thrilling action movie, making this fourth flick in the series a little bit better than its predecessors and a lot of fun.Okay, I love this series. It has good looking, along with fast cars, decent performances, and interesting back stories. Fast and Furious is sort of a mix between the last three entries, and that is where this one will either make or lose an audience.

The past three were about showing off both tuner and muscle cars while putting them in some very cool situations. The first two were about plain drag and street racing, while Tokyo Drift was about drifting with a couple of street races thrown in for good measure. This one again mixes all three together. In one showcase scene, four racers are scrambling to make it to be the first across the finish line about five miles down the road. They are racing past, into, and around oncoming traffic using street racing and drifting tactics. However, my only gripe about the cars is that they don't seem to be top focus here. Don't get me wrong, Dom's Charger and Bryan trademark car from 2F2F, the Skyline, is back, along with some other cool automotive toys, but aren't used to the effect of the first three.

Where this movie shines is in it's presentation. This Fast and Furious is focused on and has, wait for it, a good story fueling (excuse the bad pun) this entry. While nowhere near Oscar or the Academy Awards material, this is fan service to every extent of the meaning. Jordana Brewster, Paul Walker, Michelle Rodriguez, Vin Diesel, and even Sung Kang (as Han), return for this movie, along with giving decent performances While definitely continuing the story of the first, I didn't hear any references to the events of 2F2F. I'm wondering if they know themselves that that one was a mistake? BTW, this story takes place between 2F2F and Tokyo Drift, if Han returning wasn't any indication.

Overall, fans of the series should like this one, and ranks right up there with the first and Tokyo Drift. If you are not a fan, don't go in thinking this movie is going to be revolutionary or extraordinary, like critics. Instead, just think about having fun watching an action packed thrill-ride that is about two hours long.This might bring the audience a lot of questions about the return of the characters Brian O'Connor and specially Han Seoul-Oh after the events in The Fast And The Furious: Tokyo Drift. Fast & Furious is the sequel to the previous films 2 Fast 2 Furious (2003), followed by The Fast And The Furious (2001) and the prequel to The Fast And The Furious: Tokyo Drift (2006).

What that made this Fast & Furious to be a better sequel than the 2003 film 2 Fast 2 Furious is that all the original casts return in this one. Vin Diesel as Dominic Toretto, Paul Walker as Brian O'Connor, Jordana Brewster as Mia Toretto and Michelle Rodriguez as Leticia ''Letty'' Ortiz. The film also introduces new characters Fenix (Laz Alonso), Omar (Don Omar), Leo Tego (Tego Calderon), Cara Mirtha (Mirtha Michelle) and Campos (John Ortiz). Sung Kang who played Han Seoul-Oh in Tokyo Drift has also made a special appearance. We can briefly say that this is the direct sequel to the 2001 film. It begins from where it ended.

The film focuses mostly on swag, sex appeal, action, hunt and most importantly on the American Muscle cars. Why the film holds my attention is because the film promises on what is says in it's title: Fast & Furious. It's definitely more fast and more furious than the original one.

It has passed 8 years since the last time Vin Diesel portrayed the character Dominic Toretto. He has pumped up his body and fits perfectly to be the legend of street racing. Paul Walker who portrayed Brian O'Connor is still phenomenal as he has always been in the previous Fast & Furious films. Laz Alonso and John Ortiz have lived up in their roles.

Overall this is a perfect Saturday-night movie. If you want to see the classics in action then Fast & Furious is definitely the one you do not want to miss!
November 13, 2017
The movie is so awesome
½ August 29, 2017
I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to care about the characters by the time Fast & Furious, the fourth film in the franchise, comes along, but I don't. The Paul/Vin bromance felt bland and I might have even felt some joy when they killed a certain character off. The car chase scenes were also lackluster. When do these movies get fun?
½ July 29, 2017
It was great to see Paul Walker and Vin Diesel again, but once again it has a bad plot and the new characters are not that great but the action scene are pretty good.

5.0/10
½ July 23, 2017
I liked it, it was kind of in the middle, it's fine but, it needs to try harder. But I liked it.
July 21, 2017
It's OK but 5 stars cause its fast and furious
June 20, 2017
Haters gonna hate, but dis waz the shiznit
½ June 16, 2017
It took the studio 8 years to finally bring back its charismatic leads that made the first one more enjoyable than it should've been. They just forgot to make a fun trash script and made a story that is way to serious for the ridiculousness of its premise about driving fast with no consequences at all.
½ June 11, 2017
Like the other entries in the franchise, Fast and Furious brings the action but skimps on the story.
½ June 2, 2017
same old same from a fast and furious film.
½ May 24, 2017
Still cheesy and kinda generic, but it's a step up from the last two and decent enough to satisfy considering this is the fourth installment.
May 10, 2017
They're back. With most of the original cast returning for the fourth film in the series with a decent story and great action, this movie has some really good heart pounding car stunts and really awesome fight scenes.
Dom's charger makes another appearance and Brian has another Skyline not as good as the last one but still awesome
The music is tolerable and the acting is solid
This movie is really good. I don't understand the hate, yes the film is a tad slow but the ending makes up for it.
April 13, 2017
Fast & Furious is fun to watch as long as you don't think about it. Once you think about it you stop enjoying it.
½ April 13, 2017
ugh this was embarrassing.
April 13, 2017
Great film and the ending is not that good but the overall it's a great film in my opinion if already not you should watch it
April 12, 2017
Puntaje Original: 6.0

Fast and Furious nos ofrece increíbles escenas de acción acompañada de un propósito fijo, que nos asegura unos claros minutos de entrtenimiento.
April 11, 2017
With a few meandering and unproductive features, 'Fast & Furious' takes the series to new grounds. Bringing back familiar faces but finally implementing some much needed emotional depth, the fourth installment was the best of the franchise to that date.

Back after a short hiatus are Vin Diesel and Paul Walker playing Dom Toretto and Brian O'Connor respectively. Not that the previous two films were entirely pointless, but Dom and Brian are the heart of the films. Without them, you don't get the same feeling of family and meaningful relationships. 'Fast & Furious' may not feature the high-octane stunts and action that its successors do, but it brought the series back to being about family, and particularly the drama that sometimes goes on between family.

O'Connor is miraculously back to being an FBI agent after betraying their trust multiple times in the past, but with this series that type of stuff doesn't matter. Toretto is on the run once again since he went missing following the events of the first film. As ridiculous as it is to see Brian once again after Dom, I feel like it was the one last obstacle these two needed before they gained back each other's trust. Once they do, the film takes off. I love all the tension between Brian, Dom, and Mia, especially knowing where all of them end up. But I also love watching the cast drive insanely fast cars at ridiculous speeds and wreck every bit of them. The fourth film still tries to tell a lame undercover racing/drug/crime story with its villain, but the rest of it is a hell of a ride.

The supporting cast includes the likes of Michelle Rodriguez, Gal Gadot, Sung Kang, Jordana Brewster, and John Ortiz. The latter plays the villainous Campos and probably has the most depth and/or personality out of any previous F&F antagonist. Rodriguez is back as Letty, who's death (being a central plotline to the film) is probably the most complicated and convoluted death I've ever seen from any franchise, and I'm still not sure I know exactly what happened.

Overall, Fast & Furious progressed the series back to its Toretto vs O'Connor roots, but managed to finally give us the balance of emotion and action that we've wanted. It also happens to be the film that set up what is now more of a heist franchise than it is full of big muscles and muscle cars.

+Dom & Brian

+Finally balances emotion and action

+Supporting cast is written and acted very well

-Letty's death & Brian's time with the FBI is still puzzling

8.2/10
April 11, 2017
Anche se è tornato il cast originale e non c'è stato un cambiamento registico, il film non riesce a trasmettere niente, diventando il peggiore della serie finora. La trama è più difficile di quello che mi aspetterei da un film del genere, complicando il tutto e aggiungendo dettagli inutili. Di conseguenza, ne risente l'intrattenimento generale e il filo logico degli eventi: troppo spesso ho storto il naso per incoerenze narrative e scelte di sceneggiatura discutibili. Anche se ormai il mio interesse è tendente a zero, speriamo almeno che nei prossimi capitoli riescano ad aggiungere qualcosa di nuovo e rinfrescare una serie che dopo i primi 4 film comincia a decadere.
½ April 10, 2017
The movie that put life back in the franchise by bringing back fan favorites Vin Diesel and Paul Walker. 73/100