Fences - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fences Reviews

February 18, 2018
Enjoyed the stories and views protrayed in the movie.
February 11, 2018
Un film de bla-bla. Chronique de la vie ordinaire. Pas mauvais, mais pas phénoménal. Denzel est Denzel. Toujours très bon, mais il ne se surpasse pas. Il joue un peu ce qu'on sait qu'il peut faire facilement.
February 10, 2018
The scripts, the acting all-round and rawness these are just some of the aspects which are outstanding in this film. Denzel is a good acter , we know that, but in this film we really get a feel for his natural acting and directing ability. We can say this movie is uneventful and dull but really it isn't , i felt captured within the nature and quality artistic material of Fences. And hands down some off the best dialog's seen in a while.
February 7, 2018
Very strong and in depth story but the flavor of theatre remained strong as well. So much that I guessed it was a play at first. In a play, talk is king, and it is what we get. Good film anyway, but I admit I did snooze a few minutes and I did not care to rewind to see, or rather hear, what I missed.
½ February 1, 2018
Stellar performances from the entire cast, but felt a little drawn out at times.
January 30, 2018
This period drama is largely set in just one location and relies heavily on dialogue focusing around Washington. It features an outstanding performance from Davis. There are some fine moments in the film, but there are also some flat periods. Although the film takes us to some emotional places somehow it fails to pass that emotion onto the viewer. AAN AFI
January 23, 2018
This is probably the most complex and challenging role of Denzel Washington's career. Denzel and the supporting cast make this screenplay adaptation a thoroughly enjoyable movie to watch. I found myself emotionally invested in the story right up until the end of the show.
½ January 23, 2018
Denzel Washington subtly dazzles in his Fences' role. While the powerful film may not WOW you, Fences certainly has quite a bit to offer.
January 22, 2018
Took a while to get into it, but the end of the first act/entire second act were phenomenal.
½ January 16, 2018
For a drama film starring with a black people majority, Fences is a social drama about family. A father who struggles tries to protect his family whatever the way it's. Denzel Washington and Viola Davis are one of the couples who managed to portray this film. The story is very touched and very powerful for a film that tells about kinship.
January 15, 2018
A dialogue-driven film requires an amazing script and actors capable of engaging the audience. This movie has both. This is a wonderful adaptation of the stage play. Loved it.
½ January 15, 2018
Great acting, but very boring to watch if you don't go in expecting to see a theater play. Scenes are static and the dialogues go for way too long. Not a cinematic way to tell a story.
January 13, 2018
One of the truest films I've ever seen.
January 9, 2018
Can move slowly at times but has some really amazing performances from Denzel and Viola. A well put together film.
January 9, 2018
I have rarely seen such a tour- de force set of performances.
Across the board, the quality was superior to most stage and tv performances I've seen, and the worldview and characterizations were incredibly authentic, and the story was of depth,
½ January 3, 2018
Watching Denzel and Viola was like peeping into an actual couples' home and all the complexities that arise from their life choices. It delved deeply into the good and bad of a flawed husband and his ever faithful wife. What a pleasant surprise.
½ December 26, 2017
Davis was brilliant. Washington somehow seemed to be trying a bit too hard. I just wasn't convinced by his character choices. I could see this really working better in the intimacy of a small playhouse. There just wasn't any action on this stopped and so did not transfer to cinema effectively.
½ December 23, 2017
Powerful acting by Denzel Washington and Viola Davis. The set -- one place -- Troy Maxson's house, made this film seem like a live play at the Apollo rather than a streaming film watched in your living room. You should enjoy the play/film due to well-written story around the life of Troy and his involvement with this wife, lover, and his children, his co-workers and friends.
½ December 19, 2017
Puntaje Original: 5.5

Además de las brillantes actuaciones de Dezel Washington y Viola Davis, Fences no tiene nada más interesante que ofrecer.
½ December 19, 2017
Denzel Washington was such a dick. This is a movie for people who like long drawn out dialogue. It's not bad, there just isn't too much substance there.