Fences - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fences Reviews

August 14, 2017
Fences is a good movie, it's really a movie for everyone and it's very heartwarming, emotional, and very inspiring, everyone in this movie is great, the story is great, the writing and directing is great, the casting is great, the acting is great, everything in this movie is good
½ August 11, 2017
Felt like a play. Just all staged one or two sets just drinking& talking crazy. Well acted but just seemed like could if been more considering all the hoop la.
August 7, 2017
There is something special about this movie but it rambles on endlessly. It seemed very bleak and wish there were more heart warming moments. The main character was so selfish and unlikeable. His difficult life maybe ruined him and he wanted to ruin everyone else.
July 29, 2017
Great movie, great acting
½ July 29, 2017
Simple review

Breakout performances than none other Denzel Washington blew me away he took over this film and made my jaw drop. This film is not perfect I feel the ending dragged on a little too long. Viola David blew me away both actor and actress vibed so well and you believe this relationship.
July 28, 2017
Superb acting. If you don't like it because of the lack of "action", then you probably like the 'fast and the furious' movies. Poor you...
July 25, 2017
Powerful relationships, denzel playing dark character.
July 22, 2017
Viola Davis = amazing
July 22, 2017
This is an interesting story played out by two very gifted actors. There's a powerful scene between Denzel and Viola in their back yard that is absolutely riveting; it's the highlight of the entire movie.

Yes, there's not much visual scope to this movie as it's nearly all one scene similar to a stage, but the characters deliver a compelling story.
½ July 20, 2017
Little first half but such powerful second half. Viola Davis' acting is superb! I totally felt her character's despair, hopelessness, but determination to carry on.
July 20, 2017
I thought the pace was far too slow and Denzel's character is the absolute worst so he just really irritated me. Always droning on about hard work and it's just. So. Repetitive. There are a couple of excellent dramatic scenes. It should lose an hour of runtime.
July 17, 2017
4/5. Fences could be called Denzel is a Jerk: The Movie, But, that said, the performances are incredible and do a great job elevating the material from the stage to the screen, The only problem is, due to the nature of the source material, Fences can't get as cinematic as I like my movies, but Fences is still absolutely solid.
½ July 16, 2017
Superb characterizations from Washington and Davis allow navigation of Fences' Broadway source material illustrating that well-written stories transcend the medium. Stellar work.
July 16, 2017
5*'s - Not because this far outranks all other movies but because , in this day and age of green-screen- reliant films and super heroes and anti-super heroes and fighting monsters and aliens, this film is a refreshing reminder of true actors' abilities to bring to life a script with no reliance on special effects and bring the viewer into the lives of the characters on screen. And to make us think and give depth to life.
July 14, 2017
Transition from stage to film is a little rocky, but Viola is outstanding.
July 13, 2017
One of the best acted and dialogue-based movies I've seen in a couple years. Fences is a really well-written, directed, and most definitely acted movie as Denzel Washington and Viola Davis give some of the best performances of the past year. It may be boring for some people, but if you like a good dialogue movie, you should like this.
½ July 12, 2017
Should have been kept a play
July 10, 2017
Oh my god. SO... MUCH... TALKING. If I never hear Denzel speak another word, it will be too soon. The man drones on endlessly and without pause for this entire movie, it's exhausting. This movie is an adaptation of a stage play... and I use the word 'adaptation' loosely. This is easily the worst stage-to-film adaptation I have ever seen. Denzel may as well have just set up a camera in the back of the theater and filmed the stage version. He did nothing to take advantage of the nearly limitless capability of film or stretch the story beyond the confines of the stage... and nothing to edit any of the unnecessary, stilted, rambling dialogue. It is literally an hour and 20 minutes in before something actually happens. Add to that the fact that the protagonist is a wholly despicable character, it's just an altogether unpleasant viewing experience. I'm sorry, but Denzel's performance is not good at all - watching him, all I see is a man who is acting, not the character. Viola Davis is wonderful (as always), but even she cannot redeem this movie. It's totally lacking in originality, devoid of levity, and too heavy by half. This is the worst rating I have ever given an Oscar nominated film.
½ July 9, 2017
AdaptaciÚn de una obra teatral, buenas actuaciones.
½ July 4, 2017
This movie has a very meaningful meaning. Troy builds a boundary where he will remain in the safe zone for his two sons, as well as a symbol for death never to fetch him. The other meaning is as a protector of his family so that no one dares to hurt them. "Fences" is a film that managed to bring up elements of family drama that can attract the emotions of the audience.