Fences - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fences Reviews

January 5, 2019
Top class acting, a beautiful drama.
December 16, 2018
Very well done. The dialogue and acting were superb, especially by Viola Davis. Amazing to see this stage masterpiece brought to film
December 3, 2018
Great powerful movie!!
November 29, 2018
Black people, they talk, in the end scream and they getting bigger. Fine talk drama with depressive backgrounds and bad actress like in 12years of slave .
November 13, 2018
You need a powerful actor like Denzel to star in a movie like this that is more like a stage-play.
November 7, 2018
I'm glad to finally see a movie using boxxy software with a predominantly African American cast that isn't about slavery or oppression?
½ October 26, 2018
They don't stop talking. The whole movie I'm not kidding they don't stop talking for one second to let you think about what is happening
October 24, 2018
This is what happens when bad acting meets a bad storyline. It got 93% critic rating because it deals with race
½ October 21, 2018
Bit trite but some interesting ideas emanate from the film . The story of the downtrodden wife who loyally sticks with her husband in spite of is flaws is interestingly portrayed. Just felt kind of boring for at least half the film and Denzel was over acting some parts.
½ September 27, 2018
Once thought to be unfilmable Fences is a phenomenal accomplishment of cinema due to it's talented cast and remarkable and touching direction.
September 26, 2018
Several very good scenes, which is what you expect from an adaptation of a play. But it's structured too much like a play. If you want to adapt for film, you should make it work for the medium.
½ September 25, 2018
Watched this in the theater, on dvd, and Cable. Remember that I was blown away by Casey Affleck in Manchester by the Sea. Damn near stunned. This one came out somewhat later. I thought to myself at the time I can't believe we got two Lead Actor performances like that in one Oscar Year! Anyone who grew up with a blue collar Dad with thick forearms and a set of balls knows what I mean about Denzel in this role. What sunk this one was people a lot smarter than me. They said it just did not live up to the play. Didn't translate to the big screen. I thought the small number of roles, minimum sets, and heavy reliance on dialog was the whole point? It 100% worked for me. I had never seen or heard of the play at the time I saw this movie in the theater. Months later, the second time through, I thought this one held up a touch better than Manchester by the Sea. What performances from Denzel and Viola Davis.
September 3, 2018
A film adaptation of the Broadway play by August Wilson. The screenplay for Fences was also written by him. Took 11 years after his death for the film to finally be made and it's directed by Denzel Washington.

This film's title refers to the character Rose (Viola), who wants her husband, Troy (Denzel) to build a fence around the house to keep her family together. But the film is about how the family falls apart due to Denzel's character being too much of a realist.

This film tries to portray realism. Troy Maxson is a man who's gone through a lot of shit and finally gets to settle down with his family. But because he was away from home for a long time, his sons are estranged from him. And he treats them with the no-nonsense attitude.

In my honest opinion, I felt like Denzel was really trying hard and overacting as Troy. He seems desperate to win his 3rd Oscar. It even shows when Casey Affleck was announced as winner last year, and the look of disappointment or whatever it is, was seen on Denzel's face.

Not that I can blame Denzel, but he seems to talk too much in this film. There are times where I felt like shouting "Dude just shut up!! Let someone else talk". I do understand it's a huge plot point to show just how annoying Troy can be and even his family members can be seen feeling frustrated with him.

Which brings me to this, I think Viola played her role very well and truly deserved her Oscar award. She plays a wife who's trying her very best to satisfy her husband, who doesn't seem to notice her efforts.

The screenplay flows very well. There are many lines that needed to be memorised to match the same dialogues from the Broadway play and Denzel did a good job at that, I'll give him that.

Overall, as a nominated film for Best Picture, I'd say this is one that is inferior compared to the rest. I did not enjoy this film as much as I thought I would. Maybe it's just me but the story just doesn't seem to fit in cinema, but in a book.

Favorite Quote: "What law is there say I gotta like you?"
½ August 19, 2018
There's nothing quite as challenging as filming a play because a play demands that you capture the intimacy of a live stage to which film by its very nature doesn't recommend itself. While Denzel does an admirable job, especially keeping the sets to a minimum, I still think Fences would have been more affecting on the stage. August Wilson had a keen sense of stagecraft, and was obviously working within the tradition of Miller and O'Neill, not to mention the British post war Kitchen Sink dramatists like Delaney, Pinter, and Osborne. Also like many British working-class movies, this one too may have benefited from sub-titles.
August 17, 2018
It reminded me of my family.
August 10, 2018
Este film logra ser lo mas sincero si de relaciones familiares y conflictos de este índoles se trata,Denzel y Viola son tan carismáticos que esta cruda realidad que crear Denzel logra ser rebajada como una historia natural y completamente sincera, se deja de lado los cliches y ademanes hollywoodense y se abre paso a una historia mas centrada y humana.
½ July 30, 2018
Excellent film superbly acted by Washington and Davis, two of my favorite actors. The story of this family in the 50s in Pittsburgh touches my heart also, because I grew up in the 50s in the Pittsburgh area, too, so it was particularly poignant for me.
July 29, 2018
I feel likes its an unpopular statement to say Fences was just.... ok. Sure the narrative was gripping (to a point) and Denzel shows once again that, he is the man. But, I expected Fences to dive deeper on the drama since the layup was spotlessly executed. 3 nails, 5 boards.
½ July 15, 2018
Denzel Washington's third feature director credit. Often stage adaptations are accused of not being truly cinematic. And I've read criticism of Washington not being innovative enough with the camera and cinema language, but that is really not the only way to communicate the story, characters, and conflicts. I've read August Wilson's entire Century Cycle of plays. Only one has previously been adapted for the screen as a made for TV movie back in the 90s. According to interviews Denzel Washington plans to make more film adaptations of Wilson's work, which would be cool. The story of Fences is fairly straightforward and powerful about a generational rift between father and son, as well as the shattered relationship between husband and wife. This is Wilson's play set in the 50s, but it is a bit unique amongst his plays for jumping ahead in time in the final act to reveal further changes to the family in the shadow of the patriarch Troy Maxson. The symbolism of fences, baseball, and buried dreams can be painfully heartbreaking, but also declare the truth. The Hill District of Pittsburgh comes alive with great period detail and a talented cast.
July 14, 2018
More of a play than a film