Fences - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fences Reviews

½ October 19, 2017
Fences is an adaptation of August Wilson's play which centres around Troy Maxson and his family in the 1950s. It's clear from the get go that this film is an adaptation of a play with it's long, dialogue heavy scenes in only a handful of locations but it works well on film. The acting is good across the board, Denzel Washington gives a good performance as Troy, a boastful, bitter and angry man who resents his son's opportunities and the life he lives but it's Viola Davis' portrayal of Rose, his long suffering wife, who really steals the show. She is able to capture the pain, the heartache and the strength of a woman trapped in a broken marriage and who's pride and determination is constantly challenged. Troy is somewhat reminiscent of Willy Loman in Death of a Salesman, he likes to talk and make up lavish stories of his successes but is also abusive towards his wife and son and is a very unlikeable character. That is possibly my biggest criticism of the film, it feels like the director wants you to sympathise with Troy because of his struggles and his dark past but his character is so cruel, resentful and selfish that it's impossible to do so. The lack of action and the abundance of baseball references may leave some viewers a little cold but overall this is a film worth watching for the performances alone and Viola Davis' powerful monologues.
½ October 16, 2017
Just give Viola Davis an Academy Award already......and while you're at it, give Denzel Washington one too. This is a superb transition from stage to screen, which is very difficult to do. August Wilson's incredible screenplay goes hand-in-hand with Denzel Washington's brilliant directing.
½ October 10, 2017
I loved it. Good turns in the story to keep the tension increasing.
October 9, 2017
Phenomenal is all I could say.
½ October 8, 2017
Fences is a well acted Drama. It felt like a play which I do not mind because I enjoy plays. The how movie is set in just one location and focuses on a small group of people but the movie was always interesting because of a well written script and great performances.

9.1/10
October 8, 2017
Fences should remain as a play rather than being made into a film. The dialogues are just not cinematic enough if you are faithful to the original. Denzel Washington is anything but annoying here.
October 7, 2017
Well, the acting is absolutely phenomenal. Really. I found myself angry, tearful, a range of emotions. At the end I felt... satisfied.
September 25, 2017
Fences is nothing more than a wordy, plodding drama with a runtime far too long for the events taking place and that's probably why it's so unbearably boring. Denzel Washington's character is extremely unlikable and that ultimately left me hating him the whole time and feeling terribly sorry for Viola Davis' character who had to put up with him. I can definitely see why Viola snatched that Academy Award as her performance was undoubtedly worthy but I can't comprehend how such a bland film could get a score of 94%. Critics are seriously misleading with their reviews and Fences is one movie that shouldn't have gotten so much critical acclaim.
September 20, 2017
Fences is one of the most emotionally engaging and purposeful films of 2016. Incredible character depth, obvious but complex allegory, amazing performances, and riveting character drama and dialogue drive the film well above so many more crude movies that rely on cinema trickery, not heartfelt human condition exploration, to mask empty-vessel storytelling. Not so here. This is storytelling at its finest and one of the most rewarding views in recent history. Fences the movie cannot escape the Fences stage production roots, but it doesn't matter: the film excels at exploring its character and the flawed human condition, engaging viewers with real dramatic heft rather than empty sight-and-sound shenanigans.
½ September 19, 2017
Wow. Plain and simple. Wow. Acting like you seldom see. Gripping drama that takes a toll on you. But worth it. Way worth it.
½ September 19, 2017
Not for the faint of heart. This movie is basically a monologue of Denzel fussing and mistreating his wife. I like Denzel but honestly got tired of listening to him. This movie was boring and yet another example of the bleak movie landscape of 2016. I'm not surprised the critics rated it well but I am quite surprised the general audience gave it a 3.8 average rating.
September 17, 2017
It's very stagey. Well-acted but I lost interest from the mumbly opening. Washington's character is a bit of a mess, but Davis rightly steals the show.
½ September 13, 2017
I usually like Denzel movies but this one just didn't hit me like it hit my wife. She cried, I was kind of happy it was just over.
September 9, 2017
It touches you in a profound way!
½ September 5, 2017
I love Denzel but his ongoing monologue and rant of his character was just too much for me...
½ September 4, 2017
I don't like movies that have the same pace as Gilmore Girls with the dialogue. I felt frantic in the first half. It's a good story and narrative, but the pace of the dialogue was way too fast for my taste. The second half was much better than the first. Emotionally powerful performance by Davis (she carried this movie).
September 1, 2017
Viola Davis is a true star in this movie. Denzel is top notch as well. The story might be a little light, but the acting, especially from the two main characters makes this a must see!
August 28, 2017
The only thing Fences suffers from is telling and not showing, which on rare occasion can make the movie tiresome. Otherwise, Fences is a great film with depth in characters and their relationships complimented by phenomenal acting.
½ August 27, 2017
Profound look at human nature in the harsh 1950s. Strong portrayals by a talented cast. A bit long and slow but revealing and satisfying.
August 25, 2017
Got bored within 18 minutes of Non-stop talking Denzel Washington.