Fences - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fences Reviews

March 28, 2017
should have stayed a Stage Play. great acting, but doesn't translate as well on the Big Screen.
½ March 27, 2017
Denzel Washington directs this adaptation of an August Wilson play, and is a solid character study with fantastic performances from Washington, Viola Davis, and the entire supporting cast. Admittedly I knew little of the play or Wilson's work prior to watching this, but it was very obvious that the source material had to have been a play based on the staging of the whole thing (lots of long scenes of heavy dialogue in very few locations). Despite the fact that it definitely seems like material better suited for the stage, I think it is worth it just to see Washington perform his heart out.
March 27, 2017
just Denzel being a screw up and a dick for 2 hours, but decent dialogue.
March 27, 2017
It takes its time but it gets you hooked, liked it.
March 26, 2017
I have mixed feelings about this movie. On one hand,the acting from viola davis and denzel Washington are amazing. On the other, I found this movie somewgatboring, mainly because there is not much change of scenery or just too much dialogue. Although the story is interesting they could have made it more amusing to watch. Not because its based on a play they should produce as if it where for a theater. There not being much change of location actually made me feel a little bit desperate, but then i realized maybe the director wanted the audience to feel this just like the characters where in that place. I would say watch it for the actor's
March 26, 2017
outstanding. when good actors get together then you might as well count it. championship.
March 26, 2017
This was painful to watch. Didn't want to finish but I did because I am cheap and already rented the movie.
March 26, 2017
In this stage to big screen adaptation of August Wilson's award winning play, Denzel Washington and Viola Davis go head to head with two best performances of their respective careers.

Set in 1950s Pittsburgh, Fences sees Washington as Troy Maxson, who makes his living working 'on the bins'. It's not a bad life, but it's not the one he dreamed he'd have - Troy insists he could have been a champion baseball player were it not for the colour ban. When his talented son Cory (Jovan Adepo) starts showing signs that he might achieve everything his father wanted, Rose, Troy's wife, tries to keep the peace in the family, until something happens that causes her to snap.

Wilson's portrayal of the African American experience is as relevant for audiences as it has ever been. Ambition and responsibility, courage and discrimination are threaded through the lives of Troy and his family, who are torn apart by his actions. The fence he builds is real, but also a metaphor for what we keep close and what we protect ourselves from.

Directing himself, Washington is superb as a furiously wounded alpha male, drunk and embittered, meting out his resentments on his family. It's a mesmerising performance of a man capable of great charisma but crippled by his bitter self pity. But it is the near faultless, ever magnificent Davis as his put on wife Rose, hurt, proud and determined, who's steals his glory and is the star of this show.

This critically acclaimed, award winning family drama is a powerful portrait of how we cope with what life throws at us. Do you accept the disappointments and make the best of what you're given? Or do you dwell on what might have been and live life full of regret and resentment.
March 26, 2017
Have liked a lot of Denzel's movies, but this one is a total turd sandwich.
½ March 26, 2017
Bringing a play to the screen is a hard thing. Excellent cast but dragged a bit for me. Yawn.
½ March 26, 2017
I have waited for the whole movie for something to happen, and nothing. Last 1 hour, i have checked 6 times if the end is near...
March 25, 2017
That Denzel did not win best actor for this role is almost criminal.
March 25, 2017
our parents pasts define our future once we realize who they really loved us.
March 25, 2017
Its a slow movie.. lots of talking and no action.. but great performances i have to say
March 25, 2017
Man is there anything Denzel Washington can't do!!This movie was powerful and a must watch for anyone.Here I sat and told my wife did not want to see it lol... mistake in my part!Fences is well written and the acting was on point, Denzel once again plays a great role and Voila Davis I see why she won academy award. I recommended this movie to everyone and Denzel thank you for this film??
March 25, 2017
A movie you see only for the acting which is great. Definitely plays out like a stage play.
March 25, 2017
Great dialogue really drives this film
March 25, 2017
Excellent acting. It really brings you to the time and place.
March 25, 2017
Really powerful movie, a lot better than i was expecting
March 25, 2017
3/24/17 Redbox. Powerful adaptation of the play. Complex characters with deep emotionally charged storyline.