Fences - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fences Reviews

½ May 29, 2017
An actors movie..... I'm more of spectacle person myself...
½ May 28, 2017
'Fences' is the type of movie that relies on character development and strong chemistry to keeps viewers engaged. It is also massively successful in those regards too, as well as in many other areas due to its gifted cast and their amazing on-screen presence, which to their credit is so effective that they will make you forget about the fact that most of the movie takes place in someone's backyard.
May 28, 2017
I fell asleep after an hour. Interminable monologues from Denxzel Washington. Maybe there's a plot in there somewhere, but I couldn't detect one. Waste of my time trying to watch it.
May 27, 2017
Emotional and bitter, with acting brilliance of Washington and Davis...
May 27, 2017
From the first word he spoke in the movie, Denzel's character poured out his heart with every bit of confidence in him, without a care in the world. So that even when he stopped speaking, you could still hear the echoes of his words.
The movie was beautiful, the dialogues were breathtaking, literally. I loved every second of it, up until the last line of credits.
May 26, 2017
Denzel is back, nearly 10 years after his latest directorial effort. This is a film that seems just up his alley. A stand out character, a hardworking husband, father and ex-sportsman lives his life in a house he has fought for. Denzel plays the lead himself and is
supported by Viola Davis that quite deservingly won an Oscar for her effort. If anything should reward this film, that should be the right prize to win for me.

The mighty thing about the film is the way you change your view of the lead here. He is the nicest man in the world, he is the smartest man in the world. He is the dumbest man you can find and he's a big ass at times too. Nothing much added here when it comes to the story. He build his fence, he drinks a bit, he is being a figure around his wife and kids.
Well acted and there is some level of quality all over the line, but it's not interesting or entertaining enough. It's not standing out. It's also a bit long.

6.5 out of 10 trumpets.
May 25, 2017
A very talky movie but easily overlooked because of the incredible acting.
½ May 25, 2017
Very Good, but would expect nothing less.
½ May 23, 2017
Denzel Washington and (especially) Viola Davis steal the screen in Fences, a powerful, solidly crafted and well acted drama that stays true to its Broadway source material.
May 23, 2017
As good as it is as a play, it is too static to be a fully formed filmed but for recording the stary cast from a theatre production.
May 23, 2017
Found the dialogue hard to understand
May 21, 2017
Expect a LOT of dialogue. Wasn't a bad movie, just not my cup of tea.
May 21, 2017
Filme conta a história de um ex-presidiário, sua esposa e seu filho... não tem muita história e ele trai sua mulher, e no final de tudo acaba morrendo, porém é um filme bonito de se assistir....
½ May 19, 2017
Fences is based on a play of the same name I believe. Denzel Washington and Viola Davis are the two leads, and they do a great job in their roles, both know when to be subtle and when to go for it, and these two performances are the best part of the film in m opinion. Mykelti Williamson does a fantastic job as well, his performance here makes up for the dog turd Purge: Election Year role he was in. Washington directs the film very professionally, each shot is very well made and thought out. The plot of the film and some of the dialogue is what brought this one down a few notches for me. The story is interesting enough, but it takes almost a full half hour or more to get into what the actual story is. Most of the dialogue is good, but it really is elevated due to the delivery from the actors, all of whom did well. But some of the lines were a little cheesy in my opinion and I had a hard time seeing some of the material being said in real life. Fences is still thought provoking and incredibly well filmed, with great performances everywhere that hopefully gain some of the lesser known actors in this film some well deserved recognition
May 18, 2017
Very well acted but the movie was long and slow. There was not much of a payoff. Pretty overrated in my book and I really like Denzel, but damn it didn't do much for me.
½ May 17, 2017
I loved it. Was so good must see film
May 16, 2017
Good story line, just a bit slow
May 15, 2017
over rated. way too long.
½ May 14, 2017