Finding Neverland - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Finding Neverland Reviews

½ September 9, 2016
extremely well done tripe (maybe that's the definition of Miramax?)
½ August 27, 2016
This was such a touching and beautiful movie. Johnny Depp and Kate Winslet were great.
August 16, 2016
An inspiring film about the writer of Peter Pan - Johnny Depp plays his role more solidly than I've seen in his other films. Freddy Highmore is just too good. Another great must see.
½ August 1, 2016
Kinda sad, feel good music and somewhat powerful scenes. Mom dies and takes guardian of boys; wife leaves him. Some stupid parts
½ July 26, 2016
How fitting for a film based on the inception of Peter Pan to be so enchanting, charming, and just all-around magical. Based itself on the play "The Man Who Was Peter Pan", Marc Forster's heavy emphasis on sentimentality and wonder in Finding Neverland will be cloying for some, but it fits this story very well, and even makes certain character moments hit that much harder. The film is anchored by one of Johnny Depp's finest roles in his expansive career (and one of his Oscar nominated performances): here, he ditches the wacky hairstyles and makeup that he's so known for in favor of a sublime and subdued performance, even with his clearly non-native Scottish accent. At a point, Depp completely embodies the loving mannerisms of J.M. Barrie, often to the point of completely losing himself in the role. Depp has a history of playing childlike characters, sometimes to the point of being overblown, but here, it's just the right amount of seriousness and silliness. Alongside him is a charming performance from Kate Winslet, as well as four pretty solid child performances from her onscreen sons: Freddie Highmore in particular is a standout.

Anyone who finds too much sentimentality to be a turn-off won't find Finding Neverland to be anything worthwhile, but those who don't mind a strong heaping of wonder will be completely engrossed in this film's charm, and the ending will truly hit home. Certainly well earning in its Best Picture nomination.
July 15, 2016
Critics Consensus: It won't pass muster for those looking for historical accuracy, but Finding Neverland is a warm, heartfelt drama with a charm all its own -- and Johnny Depp gives a graceful performance as Peter Pan creator J.M. Barrie.
July 12, 2016
Beautifully told ode to innocence and childlike imagination, and how Scottish playwright James Barrie was inspired by a widow's family of four sons into creating the enduring classic 'Peter Pan'. Chameleon Johnny Depp gives one of his finest performances and achieves what all too few biopics manage, to provide insight into the subject's viewpoint. He believed the theater was meant as a joyful escape, but the rise of the importance of the theater critic in the London press stifled that avenue of creativity. Fun to see him play an alternate pirate version to Jack Sparrow during an afternoon of make-believe with the sons, and seeing Dustin Hoffman, who played Captain Hook in Spielberg's production, as Barrie's financier. Reassuring to see someone still makes this kind of movie with warmth and affection for its characters, at least they did 10 years ago.
May 7, 2016
Hard to take the seriousness seriously, in terms of emotion and tragedy. Apparently it's not entirely historically accurate so that's that.
April 29, 2016
"Finding Neverland" isn't completely accurate, but it's a heartfelt tale about the importance of using your imagination.
½ March 27, 2016
As imaginative and endearing as it is, there is a certain safe quality to "Finding Neverland's" stamp on the Oscar-bait/biopic sub-genre. Still, one can't help but be charmed by the brilliant imagery and lasting thematic messages spun about by the film's brilliant cast members. Without a doubt, "Finding Neverland" is a triumphant love letter to the lasting power of creativity and that warm feeling of knowing what it truly means to be a kid.
March 19, 2016
I love this movie. Great plot, characters, and dialogue... unforgettable, charming, and melancholy. Puts a creative twist on life that anyone with derealisation disorder would appreciate.
February 26, 2016
Where do we find inspiration? From a bunch of kids whom are yearning from some laughter, fun, imagination, excitement and thrill. An escape from their reality from what they have to live with. From people whom are in deep need for some liveliness in their dismal life.

Time is ticking for all of us, time chases us like the crocodile. From a time of uncertainty of what ales us to where we go after death, is it a much more happier life, free of sickness, sadness? What does it really look like? A world like Neverland that captures us when we are free from getting sick, and we remain young, happy, healthy and free. If we only believe in such a world, when pretending is so frowned upon and we have remain real in our unfulfilled life of uncertainty.
February 24, 2016
An extremely riveting story about J.M Barrie's life and his inspiration for the story of Peter Pan, with one of the best Johnny Depp performances I have seen.
½ February 18, 2016
One of the most beautiful, heart-jerking historical tales ever; no matter how much it fudges reality. Johnny Depp playing with, and teaching, the boys is a sight yet unequaled in any film.
February 17, 2016
Sumptuous and restrained period piece on the writing of Peter Pan. Johnny Depp shows he can do subtlety very well indeed.
½ February 8, 2016
Ode aan de verbeelding. Heel mooi.
January 20, 2016
Really good movie. Its got some good messages, plus, its peter pan!
December 30, 2015
Wonderful, emotional movie.

It is the early-1900s and author / playwright JM Barrie's latest play has flopped. He is in need of inspiration and meets Sylvia Llewelyn-Davis and her four sons. They ultimately inspire him to write Peter Pan...

Incredible (true) story. The depth of emotion involved, and the wonder of seeing a creative genius at work make this a very moving journey. Excellent use of dream / fantasy sequences as we look inside Barrie's mind.

Great work by Johnny Depp in the lead role, a performance for which he got an Oscar nomination. Good support from Kate Wnslet as Sylvia and Julie Christie as her mother plus also Radha Mitchell and Dustin Hoffman. The kids are great too - some of the best performances by child actors you'll see.
December 3, 2015
Un hermoso viaje a la creación de Peter Pan, actuaciones de primera, una banda sonora exquisita y el aspecto mas importante la creatividad dentro de la elaboración de la película de cierto modo es mágica.
December 2, 2015
In this movie, Johnny Depp plays Sir James Matthew Barrie; a creative, passionate, and inspiring play writer. This is a beautiful and magnificent movie that will leave the audience yelling "Encore!" in tears as they don't want it to end. It's very enjoyable because of the power of imagination he gives to three fatherless sons and their mother. Not only does he fall in love with the widowed mother, he also falls in love with her sons which makes the movie very inspiring.