Flatliners - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Flatliners Reviews

½ February 3, 2018
This film is in a similar vein as Bladerunner. The subject matter of the film is thought provoking and the sets and visuals are memorable to say the least. The meaning of life and death is certainly an incredibly important topic, if not the most important topic of all. The insight I gained is as follows: Death is not about going to Heaven or Hell. It is about the guilt we carry in this life for the wrongs we have done. We have to forgive ourselves for our sins. It even goes deeper than that....I can't even come up with words honestly! The film explores the issues of Karma, atonement, inner fears, and the ability to overcome our own mental prisons if we have he courage to face them.
December 22, 2017
F the haters. 27 years later this movie is still great.
December 17, 2017
As underappreciated as this movie gets, Flatliners is the example of what this movie really is. There's a new film of Flatliners has come out four months ago and it's not well received by audience giving it bad reviews thinking that it's god-awful. Not to say that the original is overlooked it's because it has flaws that are noticeable which is something I know about. I would that the original is much better than the remake. I know that the original has flaws that I didn't know of but that doesn't mean the movie is bad, it's just overlooked by everyone. There's some good cast in this and that's including Kiefer Sutherland. He plays the leader of the vampire's from The Lost Boys directed by Joel Schumacher. In this one, he plays a medical student named Nelson Wright and he has four classmates. There's Rachel Manus played by Julia Roberts, Dave Labraccio played by Kevin Bacon, Joey Hurley played by Alec Baldwin's brother, William Baldwin and Randy Steckle played by Oliver Platt. They're both responsible for the bad things they did in the past. Nelson Wright is responsible for the death of the kid called Billy Mahoney cause he was bullying him and after years of Billy's death Nelson has nightmares about Billy beaten him up. Rachel Manus feels responsible for her father's death and feels horrible about it. David Labraccio feels bad about making fun of a little girl called Winnie Hicks. Joey Hurley is haunted by the video tapes of women sleeping with him afraid that his girlfriend might leave him. And ask for Randy Steckle, he doesn't do anything at all. All he does is doing what he does best no matter what so ever. Now all they gotta do is go to the medical bed to face their past of what they did. The cinematography is great and it's so similar to The Lost Boys. I mean when you look at it, it shows people wearing Halloween costumes dancing and partying, looking at the beautiful views from the islands and yes, it's directed by Joel Schumacher. He makes cinematography look like 80's style. Billy Mahoney who is bullied by Nelson years ago bullies Nelson throughout the movie is the scenes where I can't stop laughing because of his reactions. Like the scene where Billy spits on Nelson's face and he screams and funny for me though he has nightmares like I said in the beginning. There's one full scene that I legitimately remember is the scene where Winnie Hicks calling David names on the train. Once again looking back at The 100 Greatest Insults in Movies on YouTube and whilst I'm watching Flatliners now and remember the scene I said "Oh God, I know this." That would be quite hilarious. I also finding it funny that five characters had to say "1,000, 2,000, 3,000, 4,000, 5,000, breathe." multiple times to make that someone is alive or dead. Flatliners is not only one of Joel Schumacher's overlooked films but some of his most underappreciated. It may be one of the weaker films but I can't help but getting thrilled by this. Joel directed some of his memorable films like The Lost Boys, Falling Down, Phone Booth which I haven't seen these two yet and The Phantom of the Opera. If you are a fan of Joel Schumacher like I do, maybe check this one out. If you are a huge fan of The Lost Boys like me then I would suggest watching these two movies starring Kiefer Sutherland with your friends and have a good time and get thrilled. Now I know the remake is been badly executed but I haven't seen it yet and I know that Kiefer Sutherland is in it. If you're not getting bored watching The Lost Boys and Flatliners then I would say that every day is not a good day to die.
½ November 10, 2017
Good movie! I love Kiefer Sutherland in this. Regardless of its flaws, I enjoyed Flatliners.
½ October 30, 2017
It was ok okay. It was kind of an interesting topic plot, but done in probably the wrong way.
October 26, 2017
A horror film that answers the question of the after life with the question of forgiveness of past trauma.
October 22, 2017
Past comes back to haunt them; good cast. Nothing special
October 12, 2017
Flatliners is a disappointing film. It is about five medical students who experiment on "near death" experiences that involve past tragedies. Julia Roberts and Kevin Bacon give terrible performances. The script is badly written. Joel Schumacher did a horrible job directing this movie. I was not impressed with this motion picture.
½ October 11, 2017
The concept of Flatliners is marvelous. The idea of some risk-taking med students who want to know what lies beyond death and are willing to kill themselves to find out is crazy, and yet seems like it could really happen What comes next after the characters experience death is odd, but somehow I just accept it, because it works as a compelling thriller. There are a ton of tense dramatic moments in the movie, and I?m always impressed that I am so engaged in the story. I don?t even question the sketchy science behind it all. I appreciate that they attempted to infuse some science and sense to the story, so it wasn?t all a fantastical horror movie, it feels more grounded than that.

The cast is full of famous faces. Julia Roberts is strong in this movie and adds a lot of heart to it. Kevin Bacon is the driving force that keeps the story moving forward. I?ve always been a fan of his, and he might be the one character in this entire film that actually behaves in a totally logical way throughout. William Baldwin is so needless in the movie that they don?t even bother resolving his story, he was annoying anyways. And Oliver Platt isn?t even worth mentioning. Finally, Kiefer Sutherland in this film proves to me exactly why I?ve never liked him as an actor. His performance is so over-the-top, and unpleasant that it doesn?t even seem to be in the same reality with everyone else.

The other thing I can?t avoid talking about in Flatliners are the sets. From the opening scene you are overwhelmed by the grandiose location that is supposed to pass for a hospital or medical school. More than half the movie looks like it takes place in a cathedral. The dramatic murals, huge windows, and massive columns lead to some fascinating shots, but it?s farcically extreme. Even the exteriors have elements that push the boundaries of logic (for example, giant faces in graffiti on the sides of buildings). It?s choices like this, and some of the plot elements that get over-dramatized, which make Flatliners a bit lacking in some areas despite the fact that the story itself is fascinating.
½ October 3, 2017
Great concept and a great cast. There could have went deeper and darker with the story but this still worked really well.
September 28, 2017
3.0/5.0 stars - Grade: C+
September 28, 2017
an impressive cast with an equally-impressive premise
we all wonder what life is like after we die, is there a light at the end of the tunnel or something else entirely?
Kevin Bacon, Julia Roberts, Billy Baldwin, Oliver Platt, and Keifer Sutherland are medical students experimenting with stopping each others' hearts and bringing them back
it seems like its in the name of mankind, science or discovery but strange things start happening to each of them opening their eyes much more
the line between life and death is there for a reason so obviously some things should not be attempted
coming back from the dead is one thing but having your ghosts coming back is another
now they have to figure out how to stop these occurences before their lives are destroyed
even if you don't believe in the afterlife it's still pretty cool to ponder what's actually in the great beyond
there's our territory of living, then there's stepping onto God's
do we dare take that extra step into the unknown?
a neat sci-fi, psychological thriller that asks really good questions along with terrifying answers
September 15, 2017
muy mala, se supone que iban a ver la vida después de la muerte, y regresaron fue con alucinaciones de culpabilidad por cosas del pasado.
September 1, 2017
How do these students afford the amazing apartments they live in?

I also had issues with the science...
½ August 12, 2017
A very dark picture, the sort that Hollywood does not attempt often these days. But as we know Hollywood has gone almost totally commercial. Marketing has discovered that audiences want 'scary' movies but ones that are superficial (a recent exception : Get Out). This movie is not superficial. I think I was most impressed by Sutherland was the creepiest and really seemed to inhabit his character, similar to his 'Lost Boys' character. Julia Roberts has one of her best roles primarily because she's not stealing the whole movie.
½ July 22, 2017
Acting: 15/20
Writing: 37/40
Directing/Editing/Production/Etc: 38/40

Overall: 90/100 A-

Review: As I'm sure anyone could guess just by looking at the cast list, Julia Roberts was the weakest part of this film - acting and casting-wise. Not only is it tough to see her playing a medical student for the obvious reasons, she also only delivers a decent performance. Kiefer Sutherland and Kevin Bacon, on the other hand, really showcase their talents and give very compelling performances. I'd even say this is probably one of Bacon's best roles. Oliver Platt proved himself to be a good side-character actor, as per usual, and William Baldwin was decent to mediocre (yet still better than Roberts).

The premise was very interesting here and it was one of the earliest films to show Generation X's ambition and desire to "upstage those [freaking] Baby Boomers!" It was also very true to the nihilism that embodied Generation X: These group of students were willing to die - and essentially "kill" each other - to reach their goals. Generation X grew up in a tough time, when the crime rate was high and they were often left to fend for themselves (known as the "latchkey children"). There had been a bit of a depression, a raise in oil prices and a constant flow of divorce. All of these negative things contributed to the nihilistic attitudes that are very symbolic of Generation X.

The film had a lot of religious undertones but is still interesting enough for atheist viewers to enjoy. In fact, Kevin Bacon's character is an atheist, and like everyone else's character in the film, he has his own reasons for wanting to partake in this "experiment" - adding some depth and perspective to the film.

*Spoiler Alert!*

I think the answers that they came up with, primarily of reliving the memories and imagery that had "impacted" the characters the most, was actually pretty compelling and entertaining. It was interesting how they portrayed death as "lulling" and "inviting" one in. (Could be a scary thought in itself.) The premise of redemption was classic-religious storytelling but done in a tasteful way, nonetheless.

Also, the fact that none of the people who "died and came back" suffered any kind of brain problems as a result, was very unbelievable. They only only slightly alluded to the phenomenon of the potential to come back with "benefits" (which judging by the trailer, the sequel does plan to get more into).

*End of Spoiler Alert!*

The suspense was gripping throughout most of the film, from the "experiment" procedures to the after-math following each one. The imagery of the hospital in the beginning looked more like an old church dungeon than an actual hospital - providing some interesting imagery, but taking away from the scenery at the same time. Throughout the film, there was a lot of subtle and not-so-subtle visual imagery of "faces watching", (as part of the religious symbolism) that looked pretty cool if you caught it.

Overall this film was suspenseful, presented some interesting thoughts and ideas, and provided some commendable performances. Definitely a good watch for a "scary movie" or "darker subject" kind of night.
June 26, 2017
"Our sins have come back in a physical form... and they're pissed." Flatliners is a 90s cult classic, so classic that it's getting an unnecessary 21st century remake. I thought after the release of the remake trailer, it was time to check out the original 1990 Cult Classic. After viewing, I really enjoyed this film. It was an excellent Philosophical Psychological Horror/Thriller. Medical students begin to explore the realm of near death experiences, hoping for insights. Each has their heart stopped and is revived. They begin having flashes of walking nightmares from their childhood, reflecting sins they committed or had committed against them. The experiences continue to intensify, and they begin to be physically beaten by their visions as they try and go deeper into the death experience to find a cure. This is one of those thrillers that embark into uncharted territory, that territory being Philosophy and Religion. Those can be seen as touchy subjects in Film, but this film did an excellent job not getting to one sided on the subject. The cast was star studded, with such actors like Kiefer Sutherland, Kevin Bacon, and Julia Roberts. Every actor put 110% into their performances and it shows. The Writing was excellent. The script didn't feel cheesy or cheap. It felt genuine and raw. The directing was excellent, the film included alot of amazing imagery. This is definitely one of Joel Schumacher's best films, up there with The Lost Boys before he took the turn into Batman Territory. The soundtrack was chilling. Good job to James Newton Howard on his excellent score. The film was a perfect runtime and never dragged. The film had an excellent message about how what we do effects people, wven if we don't see it in the "here and now" moment. This film was a fun film to watch and made you think about what you believe and what you might have done to other people. I definitely recommend that everyone checks out this film, even if you don't enjoy Horror/Thrillers this film is a good watch for everyone. Flatliners is definitely one of my favourite horror/Thrillers.

Rating: 10/10
½ June 20, 2017
Death is beautiful and can be scary, but life is the real horror that we live through everyday...
June 16, 2017
"Med students explore to see what might lie beyond death" might be the advertisement, but what one gets is the old bait-and-switch. Instead of that exploration we get pseudo-Freudian analysis delivered by runway cute actors. What happens after death? One's perm still looks good, baby ... and Zoolander pout. Filmed in Chicago.