Flatliners - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Flatliners Reviews

June 26, 2017
"Our sins have come back in a physical form... and they're pissed." Flatliners is a 90s cult classic, so classic that it's getting an unnecessary 21st century remake. I thought after the release of the remake trailer, it was time to check out the original 1990 Cult Classic. After viewing, I really enjoyed this film. It was an excellent Philosophical Psychological Horror/Thriller. Medical students begin to explore the realm of near death experiences, hoping for insights. Each has their heart stopped and is revived. They begin having flashes of walking nightmares from their childhood, reflecting sins they committed or had committed against them. The experiences continue to intensify, and they begin to be physically beaten by their visions as they try and go deeper into the death experience to find a cure. This is one of those thrillers that embark into uncharted territory, that territory being Philosophy and Religion. Those can be seen as touchy subjects in Film, but this film did an excellent job not getting to one sided on the subject. The cast was star studded, with such actors like Kiefer Sutherland, Kevin Bacon, and Julia Roberts. Every actor put 110% into their performances and it shows. The Writing was excellent. The script didn't feel cheesy or cheap. It felt genuine and raw. The directing was excellent, the film included alot of amazing imagery. This is definitely one of Joel Schumacher's best films, up there with The Lost Boys before he took the turn into Batman Territory. The soundtrack was chilling. Good job to James Newton Howard on his excellent score. The film was a perfect runtime and never dragged. The film had an excellent message about how what we do effects people, wven if we don't see it in the "here and now" moment. This film was a fun film to watch and made you think about what you believe and what you might have done to other people. I definitely recommend that everyone checks out this film, even if you don't enjoy Horror/Thrillers this film is a good watch for everyone. Flatliners is definitely one of my favourite horror/Thrillers.

Rating: 10/10
½ June 20, 2017
Death is beautiful and can be scary, but life is the real horror that we live through everyday...
June 16, 2017
"Med students explore to see what might lie beyond death" might be the advertisement, but what one gets is the old bait-and-switch. Instead of that exploration we get pseudo-Freudian analysis delivered by runway cute actors. What happens after death? One's perm still looks good, baby ... and Zoolander pout. Filmed in Chicago.
January 29, 2017
Finally got this in my Collection , seen it 20 years ago and before i think ...for me this is a classic , also by listen to the " Natural Born Deejays " song Alive . Great Suspence movie and Top-Actors ! SOMBLUR
½ September 6, 2016
Flatliners has an intriguing premise and effectively creepy atmosphere. Its execution was a bit sloppy and confused, but the movie was satisfactory overall.
August 21, 2016
I liked the cast... but that's about it. Not enough going on here for me.
August 1, 2016
Such a fantastic collection of A-list actors, and an interesting premise buried under emotional mumbo-jumbo which actual medical students wouldn't have even half the time to attept. But it does have a feel-good ending.
½ July 18, 2016
Sorry, Joel Schumacher, but you lost me on this one.
May 26, 2016
Pretty silly at times but creative in a way that I could see someone genuinely enjoy it. Not for everyone
½ April 30, 2016
Its starts off well but after a while I just stopped caring. Its host of good actors and cinematic style make it from being totally pointless.
½ April 30, 2016
Bits of camp (the last 15 minutes are uber american tacky and the godly symbolism is dumber than a doorbell) but overall, it looks very good, elegiac 1990 blockbustery filming with gauzy wind and sighs, it has a strong cast and script, the drama goes swiftly into thriller and toward horror but never loses its center. It aged well too.
April 6, 2016
Keifer Sutherland, Julia Roberts, Kevin Bacon and William Baldwin four tremendous actors who star in this movie 'Flatliners' directed by Joel Schumacher is good Horror-Mystery thriller that tells the story of college students that want to see if there is an after-life, but not only do they discover an afterlife, they bring back a negative energy from their past, not only do they experience an afterlife, they are having trouble trying to get to the bottom of how something bad has came back with them. Joe Hurley (William Baldwin), David Labraccio (Kevin Bacon) are the first to try and figure out what has been going on since they have awoken from their experience, on the other hand, Nelson Wright (Keifer Sutherland) is holding back his experience as he is embarrassed to tell the group he is being tortured both: mentally and physically by his childhood victim who he use to bully when he was a child. The group end up making amends with their Demons and move on with their life. A good cast and well directed.
March 4, 2016
A Schumacer Classic. A great ansamble cast with a decent screenplay ad story.
February 21, 2016
This movie needs a believable premise. There are good actors here but no plot to follow. Medical students is a good source for characters but they needed a screenwriter.
October 21, 2015
Pretty underrated movie in my opinion. One of Schumacher's better ones for sure.

Really enjoyed it :)
½ August 26, 2015
It's more flash than anything ; It looks fantastic, and all the actors bring a strange conviction to roles we shouldn't really care about. Yet we do and by the end credits we're onboard.
½ August 21, 2015
Good good movie. All star cast including Oliver Phatt, Kevin BLT, Smoke Some Kiefer, Random Baldwin, and Julia Roberts Big Ass Mouth. If you've seen 'The Lazarus Effect' then you've watched someone rip this movie off. Honestly I wasn't aware that children teasing other kids could be so spooky, but it is.... I hope death is more than reliving horrible things I've done, if it's not I better prepare myself for a lot of "accidental" anal.
½ August 2, 2015
Awesome idea
Executed poorly
½ July 23, 2015
Really enjoyed this film, feels alot like a coming of age movie but the sound and the way its put together is great, really interesting watch with tension and warmth about it, keither Sutherland role is sublime.