Flatliners - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Flatliners Reviews

½ July 18, 2016
Sorry, Joel Schumacher, but you lost me on this one.
May 26, 2016
Pretty silly at times but creative in a way that I could see someone genuinely enjoy it. Not for everyone
½ April 30, 2016
Its starts off well but after a while I just stopped caring. Its host of good actors and cinematic style make it from being totally pointless.
½ April 30, 2016
Bits of camp (the last 15 minutes are uber american tacky and the godly symbolism is dumber than a doorbell) but overall, it looks very good, elegiac 1990 blockbustery filming with gauzy wind and sighs, it has a strong cast and script, the drama goes swiftly into thriller and toward horror but never loses its center. It aged well too.
April 6, 2016
Keifer Sutherland, Julia Roberts, Kevin Bacon and William Baldwin four tremendous actors who star in this movie 'Flatliners' directed by Joel Schumacher is good Horror-Mystery thriller that tells the story of college students that want to see if there is an after-life, but not only do they discover an afterlife, they bring back a negative energy from their past, not only do they experience an afterlife, they are having trouble trying to get to the bottom of how something bad has came back with them. Joe Hurley (William Baldwin), David Labraccio (Kevin Bacon) are the first to try and figure out what has been going on since they have awoken from their experience, on the other hand, Nelson Wright (Keifer Sutherland) is holding back his experience as he is embarrassed to tell the group he is being tortured both: mentally and physically by his childhood victim who he use to bully when he was a child. The group end up making amends with their Demons and move on with their life. A good cast and well directed.
March 4, 2016
A Schumacer Classic. A great ansamble cast with a decent screenplay ad story.
February 21, 2016
This movie needs a believable premise. There are good actors here but no plot to follow. Medical students is a good source for characters but they needed a screenwriter.
October 21, 2015
Pretty underrated movie in my opinion. One of Schumacher's better ones for sure.

Really enjoyed it :)
½ August 26, 2015
It's more flash than anything ; It looks fantastic, and all the actors bring a strange conviction to roles we shouldn't really care about. Yet we do and by the end credits we're onboard.
½ August 21, 2015
Good good movie. All star cast including Oliver Phatt, Kevin BLT, Smoke Some Kiefer, Random Baldwin, and Julia Roberts Big Ass Mouth. If you've seen 'The Lazarus Effect' then you've watched someone rip this movie off. Honestly I wasn't aware that children teasing other kids could be so spooky, but it is.... I hope death is more than reliving horrible things I've done, if it's not I better prepare myself for a lot of "accidental" anal.
½ August 2, 2015
Awesome idea
Executed poorly
½ July 23, 2015
Really enjoyed this film, feels alot like a coming of age movie but the sound and the way its put together is great, really interesting watch with tension and warmth about it, keither Sutherland role is sublime.
½ May 18, 2015
Great movie. Flatliners initially offers a smart and original idea, but slowly delves into formula. It still is suspenseful, stylish, and intriguing and has great performances from its cast, especially Sutherland, Bacon and Roberts, and great direction from Schumaker.
½ May 17, 2015
The film starts with a thought-provoking premise, but instead of actually searching for answers to the questions it poses, the story devolves into a simplistic horror movie and loses whatever emotional impact it could have to cheap Hollywood thrills. Upon each new viewing, I've dropped my score a bit because the movie just doesn't hold up to cinematic scrutiny for me.
April 16, 2015
Kiefer Sutherland, Kevin Bacon, Julia Roberts, Billy Baldwin and Oliver Platt are pre-med students who start doing some mad scientist-like experiments where they induce their own deaths and then bring themselves back to life to document what's on "the other side." The set up is interesting, but when the film starts to go down a supernatural route, then it looses credibility and audience interest. Kiefer has to deal with visions of childhood bullies, Bacon has to make amends for his own bullying, Billy Baldwin has to deal with his all of the sex tapes he's secretly made, and so on and so on. It's all pretty dumb, but slickly directly by Joel Schumacher and crisply photographed by Jan de Bont. Look fas for Julie Warner as "Joe's Woman."
March 12, 2015
Far from Schumacher's worst film, and one that proves to be watchable. Kevin Bacon is certainly the best piece of this puzzle. Flatliners may from having a far stronger concept than execution, and the script is riddled with weaknesses, but it's not BAD, it's just not all that good. A middle of the road, okay-ish, tame sci-fi come horror/thriller.
½ February 11, 2015
Whilst it is dated, it's still got a scary vibe that transcends it's age.
January 18, 2015
My first Kiefer Sutherland movie! There are not many Joel Schumacher movies I have enjoyed but this is one of which I really enjoy. It talks about redemption and stuff. It has its clever moments.

"Today is a good day to die."
January 3, 2015
I loved this movie in 1990 and still rate it today. Please review it for what it is and when it was made. Of course it doesn't compare to current thrillers but if you have some taste and are a connesseur of '90 movies then you can't go past this one.