Flatliners - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Flatliners Reviews

September 15, 2017
muy mala, se supone que iban a ver la vida después de la muerte, y regresaron fue con alucinaciones de culpabilidad por cosas del pasado.
September 1, 2017
How do these students afford the amazing apartments they live in?

I also had issues with the science...
½ August 12, 2017
A very dark picture, the sort that Hollywood does not attempt often these days. But as we know Hollywood has gone almost totally commercial. Marketing has discovered that audiences want 'scary' movies but ones that are superficial (a recent exception : Get Out). This movie is not superficial. I think I was most impressed by Sutherland was the creepiest and really seemed to inhabit his character, similar to his 'Lost Boys' character. Julia Roberts has one of her best roles primarily because she's not stealing the whole movie.
½ July 22, 2017
Acting: 15/20
Writing: 37/40
Directing/Editing/Production/Etc: 38/40

Overall: 90/100 A-

Review: As I'm sure anyone could guess just by looking at the cast list, Julia Roberts was the weakest part of this film - acting and casting-wise. Not only is it tough to see her playing a medical student for the obvious reasons, she also only delivers a decent performance. Kiefer Sutherland and Kevin Bacon, on the other hand, really showcase their talents and give very compelling performances. I'd even say this is probably one of Bacon's best roles. Oliver Platt proved himself to be a good side-character actor, as per usual, and William Baldwin was decent to mediocre (yet still better than Roberts).

The premise was very interesting here and it was one of the earliest films to show Generation X's ambition and desire to "upstage those [freaking] Baby Boomers!" It was also very true to the nihilism that embodied Generation X: These group of students were willing to die - and essentially "kill" each other - to reach their goals. Generation X grew up in a tough time, when the crime rate was high and they were often left to fend for themselves (known as the "latchkey children"). There had been a bit of a depression, a raise in oil prices and a constant flow of divorce. All of these negative things contributed to the nihilistic attitudes that are very symbolic of Generation X.

The film had a lot of religious undertones but is still interesting enough for atheist viewers to enjoy. In fact, Kevin Bacon's character is an atheist, and like everyone else's character in the film, he has his own reasons for wanting to partake in this "experiment" - adding some depth and perspective to the film.

*Spoiler Alert!*

I think the answers that they came up with, primarily of reliving the memories and imagery that had "impacted" the characters the most, was actually pretty compelling and entertaining. It was interesting how they portrayed death as "lulling" and "inviting" one in. (Could be a scary thought in itself.) The premise of redemption was classic-religious storytelling but done in a tasteful way, nonetheless.

Also, the fact that none of the people who "died and came back" suffered any kind of brain problems as a result, was very unbelievable. They only only slightly alluded to the phenomenon of the potential to come back with "benefits" (which judging by the trailer, the sequel does plan to get more into).

*End of Spoiler Alert!*

The suspense was gripping throughout most of the film, from the "experiment" procedures to the after-math following each one. The imagery of the hospital in the beginning looked more like an old church dungeon than an actual hospital - providing some interesting imagery, but taking away from the scenery at the same time. Throughout the film, there was a lot of subtle and not-so-subtle visual imagery of "faces watching", (as part of the religious symbolism) that looked pretty cool if you caught it.

Overall this film was suspenseful, presented some interesting thoughts and ideas, and provided some commendable performances. Definitely a good watch for a "scary movie" or "darker subject" kind of night.
June 26, 2017
"Our sins have come back in a physical form... and they're pissed." Flatliners is a 90s cult classic, so classic that it's getting an unnecessary 21st century remake. I thought after the release of the remake trailer, it was time to check out the original 1990 Cult Classic. After viewing, I really enjoyed this film. It was an excellent Philosophical Psychological Horror/Thriller. Medical students begin to explore the realm of near death experiences, hoping for insights. Each has their heart stopped and is revived. They begin having flashes of walking nightmares from their childhood, reflecting sins they committed or had committed against them. The experiences continue to intensify, and they begin to be physically beaten by their visions as they try and go deeper into the death experience to find a cure. This is one of those thrillers that embark into uncharted territory, that territory being Philosophy and Religion. Those can be seen as touchy subjects in Film, but this film did an excellent job not getting to one sided on the subject. The cast was star studded, with such actors like Kiefer Sutherland, Kevin Bacon, and Julia Roberts. Every actor put 110% into their performances and it shows. The Writing was excellent. The script didn't feel cheesy or cheap. It felt genuine and raw. The directing was excellent, the film included alot of amazing imagery. This is definitely one of Joel Schumacher's best films, up there with The Lost Boys before he took the turn into Batman Territory. The soundtrack was chilling. Good job to James Newton Howard on his excellent score. The film was a perfect runtime and never dragged. The film had an excellent message about how what we do effects people, wven if we don't see it in the "here and now" moment. This film was a fun film to watch and made you think about what you believe and what you might have done to other people. I definitely recommend that everyone checks out this film, even if you don't enjoy Horror/Thrillers this film is a good watch for everyone. Flatliners is definitely one of my favourite horror/Thrillers.

Rating: 10/10
½ June 20, 2017
Death is beautiful and can be scary, but life is the real horror that we live through everyday...
June 16, 2017
"Med students explore to see what might lie beyond death" might be the advertisement, but what one gets is the old bait-and-switch. Instead of that exploration we get pseudo-Freudian analysis delivered by runway cute actors. What happens after death? One's perm still looks good, baby ... and Zoolander pout. Filmed in Chicago.
January 29, 2017
Finally got this in my Collection , seen it 20 years ago and before i think ...for me this is a classic , also by listen to the " Natural Born Deejays " song Alive . Great Suspence movie and Top-Actors ! SOMBLUR
½ September 6, 2016
Flatliners has an intriguing premise and effectively creepy atmosphere. Its execution was a bit sloppy and confused, but the movie was satisfactory overall.
August 21, 2016
I liked the cast... but that's about it. Not enough going on here for me.
August 1, 2016
Such a fantastic collection of A-list actors, and an interesting premise buried under emotional mumbo-jumbo which actual medical students wouldn't have even half the time to attept. But it does have a feel-good ending.
½ July 18, 2016
Sorry, Joel Schumacher, but you lost me on this one.
May 26, 2016
Pretty silly at times but creative in a way that I could see someone genuinely enjoy it. Not for everyone
½ April 30, 2016
Its starts off well but after a while I just stopped caring. Its host of good actors and cinematic style make it from being totally pointless.
½ April 30, 2016
Bits of camp (the last 15 minutes are uber american tacky and the godly symbolism is dumber than a doorbell) but overall, it looks very good, elegiac 1990 blockbustery filming with gauzy wind and sighs, it has a strong cast and script, the drama goes swiftly into thriller and toward horror but never loses its center. It aged well too.
April 6, 2016
Keifer Sutherland, Julia Roberts, Kevin Bacon and William Baldwin four tremendous actors who star in this movie 'Flatliners' directed by Joel Schumacher is good Horror-Mystery thriller that tells the story of college students that want to see if there is an after-life, but not only do they discover an afterlife, they bring back a negative energy from their past, not only do they experience an afterlife, they are having trouble trying to get to the bottom of how something bad has came back with them. Joe Hurley (William Baldwin), David Labraccio (Kevin Bacon) are the first to try and figure out what has been going on since they have awoken from their experience, on the other hand, Nelson Wright (Keifer Sutherland) is holding back his experience as he is embarrassed to tell the group he is being tortured both: mentally and physically by his childhood victim who he use to bully when he was a child. The group end up making amends with their Demons and move on with their life. A good cast and well directed.
March 4, 2016
A Schumacer Classic. A great ansamble cast with a decent screenplay ad story.
February 21, 2016
This movie needs a believable premise. There are good actors here but no plot to follow. Medical students is a good source for characters but they needed a screenwriter.
October 21, 2015
Pretty underrated movie in my opinion. One of Schumacher's better ones for sure.

Really enjoyed it :)