Fletch - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fletch Reviews

November 27, 2016
The flirting is so awkward that only a hollywood writer could have written it. Why would she give a hoot about him? A poor, white man's Beverly Hills Cop. There are some witty lines, but they often go too far into hack screenwriter territory. He acts as though he believes he's charming us more than he is. Past the halfway point and I don't really know what the plot is about. But it's kinda fun anyway. We should see more of what Fletch knows. The banquet scene is embarrassingly bad. Poorly edited. Could have focused on the worry about shooting the man, and other deeper issues. Would've made it much better. Amusing enough to watch, though.
½ October 7, 2016
This is the comedic role that Chevy Chase was born for. Chase is suave, witty, and fun. Rating: 7 / 10
August 21, 2016
8/21/2016: A great classic 80's flick! Hilarious with many great quotes. Chevy Chase at his best!
August 14, 2016
It is still watchable and some of the gags do work. An entertaining comedy-noir with Chevy Chase on fine form.
August 9, 2016
Disposable unfunny wisecracks
May 17, 2016
Must watch, one of my all time favorite
April 18, 2016
Reporter uncovers drug conspiracy on the LA beach involving a aviation executive and the police. Classic Chevy Chase in top form just basically being Chevy, his best film alongside the original VACATION. Includes a great scene of Kareem admiring Fletch's contributions to the Lakers. Fine score by Harold Faltemeyer too.
March 27, 2016
Chevy Chase is in good fooling in this cult, feelgood '80s crime comedy about a tenacious reporter by the nickname of Fletch, who snoops around in various funny disguises and delivers terrific one-liners in deadpan style. The mystery isn't something really special but it being more elaborate would miss the point: the action and the suspense blend in with the humour very well and the result is vintage '80s comedy done right.
½ March 12, 2016
Chevy Chase's dry humor brings to the world of movies a hilarious comedy. A classic!
½ January 27, 2016
C+
Some of the jokes wear thing, but they still get a chuckle, and Chevy Chase proves to be a charming sight.
January 24, 2016
Belongs on the Mt. Rushmore of 80's comedies. Chevy at the height of his comedic powers. Cheesy car chase aside its still very watchable and very quotable all these years later.
½ November 28, 2015
Still one of my favorites from my childhood
November 3, 2015
One of the best comedies ever made, and easily Chevy Chase's best film bar none.
½ November 1, 2015
This Chevy Chase mystery comedy is surprisingly entertaining as it is hilarious as Chase plays an undercover reporter who is asked to commit murder. The music to this movie, however, is painfully annoying and distracting.
½ October 23, 2015
Pretty funny. Surprising this never made it on my radar sooner.
October 21, 2015
this movie was not funny, and it was the longest 90 minutes. maybe when it came out it was, but it does not hold up today.
September 19, 2015
The ultimate Chevy Chase film. Based on the book by Gregory Macdonald. Chase basically improvises the whole film playing a character similar to that of Ty Webb. Its Chase's version of Beverly Hills Cop. If you like Chase you'll love Fletch.
September 18, 2015
Favorite movie all time!
August 24, 2015
i didn't care much about this movie wasn't funny at all
½ August 22, 2015
Chevy Chase's best film and outside of "Vacation" is probably his only classic film. "Caddyshack" is a classic, but he was part of an ensemble and even that one had it's weak points. That may be too harsh, because he was in some funny movies like "íThree Amigos!" "Spies Like Us" and the underrated "Funny Farm," but the quality of films he appeared in were not deserving of his talent (and I consider him a very talnted comedian). But to this film in particular, he plays a investigative journalist doing a story about drug dealers on seedy Venice beaches. While disguised as a beach bum, he's propositioned by Tim Matheson to kill him. Fletch then becomes curious about the story behind this proposition and gets sucked into something of a conspiracy. The mystery is solid, but it's the con-man elements of the Fletch character that make this film so memorable. It's a lot of fun to see Fletch con his way into tennis clubs as a guest of the Underhills, into airplane hangers as plane repair technician and any other number of disguises. My only complaint for the film is that some of the disguises are a bit broad (i.e. funny teeth) and I would have liked to have the disguises be more like those in "Burn Notice" which I think must have been influenced by "Fletch." And the one Lakers dream sequence, while funny, seems like it belongs in a coupletely different film. Written by one of the best comic Hollywood comedic screenwriters, Andrew Bergman, who's written the likes of "The In-Laws," "The Freshman" and even "Blazing Saddles," and directed by Michael Ritchie, who's a director who I can't quite tell if he deserves to be treated as a "serious" filmmaker. He did some smart films early in his career, like "Downhill Racer," "Prime Cut" and "The Candidate," but then spent most of his later career directing comedies. They were good comedies, but I'm not sure they contained any kind of deep subtext, although I will day that "The Bad News Bears" is the greatest sports movie of all time and does have a quite a few subversive elements. So add in a strong supporting cast (including Joe Don Baker, Dana Wheeler-Nicholson, Richard Libertini, M. Emmet Walsh, George Wendt, Menneth Mars, Geena Davis, James Avery, William Sanderson) and that off with a memorable score from Harold Faltermeyer, arguably his best, this all adds up to a classic.