Footloose - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Footloose Reviews

½ October 25, 2016
In a world of small, country town people, we need a little more city. Footloose (2011), starring Kenny Wormald, Julianne Hough, and Dennis Quaid, is a dramatic, romantic and has a great soundtrack. Ren MacCormack (Wormald) is a up-town city boy that moves to the small town of Bomont. But, before he arrives from Boston 5 teenagers are killed in a car accident coming home from a dance. Reverend Shaw Moore (Quaid) is part of the town council and puts a ban on loud music and DANCING. Ariel Moore (Hough) is Reverend Shaw's daughter, gets caught in the middle of all the fighting and falls in love with Ren. The movie presents itself well, with the over-the-top costumes and a great cast that just fits together. However, Wormald has an accent that comes and goes in the movie and make the movie seem trashy. Overall, I give the movie a four and a half out of five stars. Pop the popcorn and get ready for some serious dancing.
½ October 20, 2016
Wish I could give negative stars. The only "good" things: Andi McDowell was perfectly cast as the near-invisible Vi--didn't tax her acting ability; only role EVER by Miles Teller in which I did not want to punch him every time I saw him. That's it. What a piece of poorly directed, poorly edited, poorly updated movie. Hard to slam actors attempting to turn poop into pop.
½ August 5, 2016
This was a really fun film for me. I haven't seen the original Footlose so I can't really compare, though I plan to watch the original when I get the chance. I highly enjoyed the acting, the characters, and the toe-tapping musical numbers. The comedy is good and the drama is well-done, too. The story is quite well-written. I really enjoy the emotional dilemmas with Ariel and Ren. I enjoy the relationship between the characters. Like I said, the music is just so great. I loved the county line sequence and of course the ending with the titular song. I was jamming. The only problems I have with the film is that I felt that the narrative felt a bit rushed at times and that maybe they could've done better with the subplot about Ariel and her stereotypically jerky boyfriend. Also, I thought Ariel's father was a bit of a douche. It's no masterpiece and it does feel pretty generic at times, but with likeable characters, good directing, and good acting, there's nothing else to say but "cut footlose!"
July 10, 2016
Kenny made the movie worth watching!!
June 27, 2016
Good remake.

How does this improve upon the original?

Some plot points are expanded upon, and better explained. The young cast are the same ages as their characters.
June 25, 2016
I like how they redid the footloose movie. They brought their own version of the crash into the storyline and allowed people to see how they saw this story come together.
June 18, 2016
Painful to watch. Well done and well intentioned but never took off, and the female character rendered entirely one dimensional.
Why would they remake this movie.
April 28, 2016
An enjoyable and entertaining ride. Glad I sat for it.
½ March 25, 2016
Classics cannot be remade!!!! This is one classic that cannot be remade!!!
March 10, 2016
Better than the original. Different elements made it fresh and new. Was hesitant at first. Great casting.
March 1, 2016
All the right moves

Reinforcing the concept of living an unbridled life to the fullest, 27 years after the original launched Kevin Bacon as a teen icon, the foot-tapping classic Footloose dances its way into a new generation of hearts.

After his mother's passing due to cancer, teenager Ren McCormack (Kenny Wormald) is transplanted from big city Boston to the tiny bible-belt town of Bomont, Georgia to live with his Uncle Wes (Ray McKinnon) and family.

A drastic southern culture shock, the former gymnast and avid dancer is astounded by Bomont's arcane laws brought in three years earlier when the small community was rocked by a tragically fatal accent and the death of five teenagers after a night on the town.

The local councilmen influenced by their beloved spiritual leader who's son was in the accident, Reverend Shaw Moore (Dennis Quaid) responded by implementing ordinances that abolished all public dancing and loud music, and imposed curfews for all teenagers.

With his eyes on the town's teens, his unruly Ariel (Julianne Hough) is determined to make others forget she's the overbearing preacher's daughter by shamelessly flaunting herself to rough race car driver Chuck Cranston (Patrick John Flueger).

Ren's presence shakes local resolve and becomes an easy target. Reprimanded for music, his attitude and drugs, the rebellious attraction to the wild Ariel is instant. Not one to yield to the status quo, the tenacious Ren will bring some life back to this constantly-mourning town. Challenging the ban, the town and Reverent Shaw, there was a time for the town's strict laws but now it's his time to Dance.

Determined to invoke the same passion that made the original so memorable, Director Craig Brewer (Hustle and Flow) saw no need in reinventing the wheel. Tweaking the storylines, updating pop-culture references and reworking some of the more memorable tunes, he was able to stick to the core of what made the first film fun (including the clothes in a wonderfully retro look).

Electrically littered with musical sequences, the originals seamless transitions from heavy metal to Memphis blues and country is a little lost under a modern krump-like vibrant choreography. Highly evident during the infamous 'angry dance' where the music, emotion and dancing just don't match.

Fighting tooth and nail not to compare, in regards to the acting and portrayal of some characters it is warranted. Wormald is decent in his own right, but lacks the cheekiness of Bacon; Hough doesn't have the conviction of Lori Singer's Ariel, pushing the character rather than being her; Quaid is stiff, unsatisfactorily missing John Lithgow's mark as a caring self righteous protector and coming across as sanctimonious.

That said, newcomer Miles Teller replacing Chris Penn as Ren's best friend Willard is wonderful. Delivering the same well timed the comic relief and genuine feel of "I can't dance" lack of coordination to the role. Andie MacDowell stands in for Dianne West as Vi Moore and Ray McKinnon gets a meatier version of Uncle Wes. There are also some modern political corrections that feel affected.

The Verdict: Not as impassioned; the sweet parable about parents slowly letting go of their hold on their children is timeless and doesn't feel out of place. It doesn't desecrate the originals memory but it doesn't have the subtle natural flow that made it work either.

Published: The Queanbeyan Age
Date of Publication: 07/10/2011
½ February 5, 2016
February 4, 2016
This is one of my most favorite movies, It's one of those movies you can watch hundreds of times without it feeling old or repetitive, It has everything you would want in a movie great characters an easy to follow plot and a great soundtrack. I suggest if you haven't seen this movie that you should check it out you won't be disappointed
½ January 31, 2016
Choreography is good. That's about it.
December 22, 2015
42/100 - In a world full of unnecessary remakes, Footloose is but another statistic. It has some fresh takes on the original's premise, adding more realism to this somewhat out-there plot. There's also some decent performances from Miles Teller and Dennis Quaid, but on the whole this isn't really worth your time if you didn't care for the original. It's pretty much the exact same movie, aside from a few changes that don't really do anything inventive.
½ December 17, 2015
I didn't want to like it,I hate when they remake Iconic Films. I felt a bit like I was cheating on Kevin Bacon, but my friend, I was surprised to enjoy it so much
½ October 22, 2015
I wonder if it will be as good as thw origonal?
½ August 31, 2015
Surprisingly, the story is told better for a new generation. The lead is a decent replacement for Bacon, and the rest of the cast, especially Quaid, is fantastic. Hell, the dancing may even be better in this one!
½ August 18, 2015
It's like the original, but with a worse story line and terrible acting & music.
½ August 16, 2015
This one is not the same fourm the old one