Foxcatcher - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Foxcatcher Reviews

½ May 16, 2017
A movie based on a true story needs to be interesting, otherwise why would we care?? "Foxcatcher" is one of those movies that could just as easily not been told. The pace is exceedingly slow, so much so that it took me two nights to watch it. For 120 of the 130 minute run time I fought off sleep a number of times. If not for the phenomenal performances by Steve Carell and Channing Tatum, nobody would even be giving this film a second look.
May 13, 2017
A biographical portrayal telling the crime of a disturbed wealthy man.
May 6, 2017
Wow la historia es sorpren dente. La actuacion de Steve Carell es magnifica, nos hizo olvidar que el es un actor de comedia, es odioso, rencoroso y al final vengativo.
April 22, 2017
A psychological drama hidden in a sports film, the direction, soundtrack, Tatum, and Ruffalo all excell but nothing is as impressive as Carrell leaving his comedic roots behind to create a truly chilling performance.
April 16, 2017
The two words that encapsulate the whole of Foxcatcher: bleak and bizarre. Based on the true story about a man who is taken under the wing of an eccentric wrestling enthusiast wielding the power of his heritage and the old money that comes with it. The first thing you'll notice is how bleak it all is: from the color palette to the people the actors bring into this utterly depressing Pennsylvania farm. Steve Carell shatters expectations, nailing the mannerisms and look (virtually unrecognizable) of John du Pont. The most impressive part of this performance is how uncomfortable Carell makes you feel while watching him. Overshadowed in character and in performance by Mark Ruffalo (who I think was overrated in this film) is Channing Tatum. Like Carell, it's the best performance of his career, hands down. My biggest qualm with Foxcatcher is the creative decision to focus on everything but du Pont's psychology and the downward spiral that's caused by it. The reason this story is famous is because of what du Pont did, and the reasons behind his motive were only explored on a basic and surface level. This makes the twist at the end feel more random than shocking. I'd recommend watching the Netflix documentary "Team Foxcatcher" as a companion piece to get a more accurate interpretation of the illness that drove du Pont to end his career and destroy his reputation. Otherwise, Foxcatcher is a movie filled with high-caliber performances from actors who will take you by surprise, and is a beautifully photographed American tragedy.
April 3, 2017
I appreciate that there is very good acting here, but this is really hard to sit through. It is two hours and 14 minutes, and feels every bit of that time. I never felt like they spelled out enough why the characters did what they did. John Du Pont's defense for his crime was that he was mentally ill, but I felt like this movie never portrayed him that way. He was just weird and creepy and so when he did what he did it seemed to come out of left field. I wanted to like this more but it was a slog.
March 12, 2017
Oddly neutral and lifeless retelling of the events surrounding the Foxcatcher wrestling team of the 80s. The acting is top notch and takes the film through some slow parts, but its almost documentary style keeps the viewer at a distance to the characters and the events. Even the shocking and tragic ending keeps you somewhat unimpressed, but at least it gets you curious about the real persons and events behind this. The acting performances stand out.
February 27, 2017
SNL comedian Steve Carell is unexpectedly creepy and compelling as a wrestling coach who will stop at nothing for the best. It's a chilling performance from him and the chills often lie in what he doesn't say than what he does.
February 24, 2017
Looks great, now don't disappoint.
½ February 12, 2017
The film rewrites history a bit, but it certainly catches the sadness of the story and the delusions of du Pont.
February 11, 2017
nails it's storytelling style with performances that are perfect
½ January 27, 2017
Great Performances from the cast about this disturbing story. I remember reading the news article about this when it happened in 1996. It is a very slow paced film and very depressing. You won't feel great about life after watching this movie.
January 24, 2017
slow. but great story retold.
January 22, 2017
The ending twisted a knot in my stomach
January 2, 2017
Convincing performances by Tatum and Ruffalo but Carrell looks odd in the appearance altering prosthetics and is unable to bring out any depth in his role which might help us understand his actions. The film felt a tad overlong for me.
December 30, 2016
Carell's performance was tight, plot massively boring
December 27, 2016
Crisan spune ca e nust see
½ December 24, 2016
real life film that is is fairly slow paced, but it's unusual & gripping. If you also like sport then this is well worth watching.
December 16, 2016
This was a creepy sad movie... hard to watch. Brilliantly acted, especially if you see what the real dudes actually looked like.
November 29, 2016