Foxcatcher - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Foxcatcher Reviews

½ April 14, 2018
Foxcatcher is an intense and disturbing psychological drama about strange events leading to a real life tragedy. John du Pont is an eccentric millionaire who wants to form a wrestling team to compete in the 1988 Seoul Olympics, so he recruits gold medalist, Mark Schultz, to lead and train the team at Foxcatcher Farm. At first things go well, with Mark and John becoming good friends with one another, as they identify with another due to their pasts involving loneliness and living in the shadows of others (Mark in the shadow of his older brother, Dave and John who never had any friends and his mother disapproves of his desire to start a wrestling team). However, things start to fall apart when Mark is introduced to cocaine and begins slacking off on his duties, so John decides to recruit his brother, Dave, to come in and train the team. Mark understandably feels betrayed, especially with how John originally convinced him to join was because of his desire to make America win and be great again, and their bond that they had. Mark is angry at Dave when he arrives and the two don't get along at first, and Mark also goes on to lose matches. Meanwhile, John's own mental state becomes increasingly erratic as the years go on, leading to that fateful January morning in 1996. The film is an interesting portrait of psychology, betrayal, family and friendship bonds, and the strange, corrupting nature of wealth. Despite being over two hours long, I still at times felt like I didn't get as much of a picture as I would have liked (Would I want a four hour cut? Yes, absolutely, but that will never happen). Still, the plot is still very engaging, the direction is ominous and foreboding, and the performances are excellent (Channing Tatum go so into his role that in the scene where he smashes his head into a mirror and breaks the wall behind it was real) from Channing Tatum, Mark Ruffalo, and Steve Carrell's portrayal as John du Pont was chilling. Foxcatcher is one of the most underrated films of the decade.
April 13, 2018
Amazing performance by Steve Carell.
½ February 17, 2018
it's about what the medal represents..

Foxcatcher

A sports genre feature doesn't always settle with me since they rely too much upon "on-stage" drama and factual reality and low on drama but this one here is concentrating on behind the stage drama and the build up to all the 'on-stage' controversies. Foxcatches is a character driven feature that offers enough room and range to the actors to get in to it and mesmerize the audience. Bennett Miller's accurate depiction is the key among fine adaption on screen and extraordinary execution. Channing Tatum does try very hard on his job but is completely overpowered by Steve Carell that owns the surrounding and a concrete support by Mark Ruffalo. Foxcatcher takes its time, plays with the viewers a bit and cuts in deep and brutal in its final act that is not only exhilarating and unpredictable but also justifying and horrific leading it into the dark lane.
February 17, 2018
Very good acting by Steve Carrel. A dark movie about a very sad event.
½ February 10, 2018
The sport doesn't interest me in the least, and still I found it more then well done and, being a real story, interesting.
January 30, 2018
Featuring excellent performances, I was mesmerised by this film which is about so much more than sport. The twist at the end was completely unexpected and somewhat distressing. I enjoyed psychoanalyzing the main character and his strange personality traits. GGN AFI
January 26, 2018
Foxcatcher is one of the best movies I've seen. It's intense. It's gritty. It's dark. It's disturbing. It was unexpected to see Steve Carell back off of his normal comedic roles, and plays a psychotic wrestling teacher, John E. duPont. However, unlike his usual roles, he is very frightening to look at sometimes. That's great.
January 2, 2018
A bit like with his earlier film 'Moneyball' I have no interest in the subject matter so really struggled to connect with this film. John Du Pont clearly seems like an interesting and flawed character but it just didn't do it for me sorry, watching it over Christmas with a mince pie it was one to snooze during.
December 31, 2017
I saw this in the theater at it's release. Definitely held my interest. Steve Carell was excellent in the lead.
½ December 18, 2017
Puntaje Original: 5.0

La película más sobre valorada del 2014, que a pesar de tener magníficas actuaciones y un buen guión, es en esencia aburridísima.
½ December 5, 2017
It is a throw up between this and Blade Runner 2049, for the worst movie of all time.
½ November 12, 2017
Carrell complete transforms in this role but for the majority of the film there isn't much tension. It's not to the end of the film where anything really happens and then it's a bit out of left field.
½ November 9, 2017
Successfully creates and sustains a suicidal atmosphere, and a strong cast hold together a threadbare script. Particular praise due to Sienna Miller who once again sublimates her celebrity to become an unrecognisable part of the ensemble.
½ November 3, 2017
Very intense. Great performances by everyone involved especially Steve Carell. Uncomfortable to watch at times.
October 26, 2017
Amazing acting performances. Very slow but the acting and storyline is so good that it doesn't get boring. Loved it.
½ October 10, 2017
A great movie with excellent performances especially from Steve Carell, great writing, and good cinematography.
October 9, 2017
Well crafted and chilling crime drama, with powerhouse, understated and knockout performances from Steve Carell and Channing Tatum.
September 26, 2017
Hard to watch. Depressing and sad. I did not like the movie too much but it looks like critics praised it.
September 11, 2017
Wrestling, but real life wrestling
August 28, 2017
A story that's tragic at the outset, told by professionals at their craft literally reaching for new heights, makes for exhilarating filmmaking of the highest quality beyond a shadow of a doubt. As some might note, the pace seems slow, but in retrospect the simmer brings forth fully formed human drama. Carell, Tatum and Ruffalo very nearly seem to race to give the best performance and you as judge will be as perplexed as I as to who in fact might have won.