Foxcatcher - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Foxcatcher Reviews

½ February 17, 2018
it's about what the medal represents..

A sports genre feature doesn't always settle with me since they rely too much upon "on-stage" drama and factual reality and low on drama but this one here is concentrating on behind the stage drama and the build up to all the 'on-stage' controversies. Foxcatches is a character driven feature that offers enough room and range to the actors to get in to it and mesmerize the audience. Bennett Miller's accurate depiction is the key among fine adaption on screen and extraordinary execution. Channing Tatum does try very hard on his job but is completely overpowered by Steve Carell that owns the surrounding and a concrete support by Mark Ruffalo. Foxcatcher takes its time, plays with the viewers a bit and cuts in deep and brutal in its final act that is not only exhilarating and unpredictable but also justifying and horrific leading it into the dark lane.
February 17, 2018
Very good acting by Steve Carrel. A dark movie about a very sad event.
½ February 10, 2018
The sport doesn't interest me in the least, and still I found it more then well done and, being a real story, interesting.
January 30, 2018
Featuring excellent performances, I was mesmerised by this film which is about so much more than sport. The twist at the end was completely unexpected and somewhat distressing. I enjoyed psychoanalyzing the main character and his strange personality traits. GGN AFI
January 26, 2018
Foxcatcher is one of the best movies I've seen. It's intense. It's gritty. It's dark. It's disturbing. It was unexpected to see Steve Carell back off of his normal comedic roles, and plays a psychotic wrestling teacher, John E. duPont. However, unlike his usual roles, he is very frightening to look at sometimes. That's great.
January 2, 2018
A bit like with his earlier film 'Moneyball' I have no interest in the subject matter so really struggled to connect with this film. John Du Pont clearly seems like an interesting and flawed character but it just didn't do it for me sorry, watching it over Christmas with a mince pie it was one to snooze during.
December 31, 2017
I saw this in the theater at it's release. Definitely held my interest. Steve Carell was excellent in the lead.
½ December 18, 2017
Puntaje Original: 5.0

La película más sobre valorada del 2014, que a pesar de tener magníficas actuaciones y un buen guión, es en esencia aburridísima.
½ December 5, 2017
It is a throw up between this and Blade Runner 2049, for the worst movie of all time.
½ November 12, 2017
Carrell complete transforms in this role but for the majority of the film there isn't much tension. It's not to the end of the film where anything really happens and then it's a bit out of left field.
½ November 9, 2017
Successfully creates and sustains a suicidal atmosphere, and a strong cast hold together a threadbare script. Particular praise due to Sienna Miller who once again sublimates her celebrity to become an unrecognisable part of the ensemble.
½ November 3, 2017
Very intense. Great performances by everyone involved especially Steve Carell. Uncomfortable to watch at times.
October 26, 2017
Amazing acting performances. Very slow but the acting and storyline is so good that it doesn't get boring. Loved it.
½ October 10, 2017
A great movie with excellent performances especially from Steve Carell, great writing, and good cinematography.
October 9, 2017
Well crafted and chilling crime drama, with powerhouse, understated and knockout performances from Steve Carell and Channing Tatum.
September 26, 2017
Hard to watch. Depressing and sad. I did not like the movie too much but it looks like critics praised it.
September 11, 2017
Wrestling, but real life wrestling
August 28, 2017
A story that's tragic at the outset, told by professionals at their craft literally reaching for new heights, makes for exhilarating filmmaking of the highest quality beyond a shadow of a doubt. As some might note, the pace seems slow, but in retrospect the simmer brings forth fully formed human drama. Carell, Tatum and Ruffalo very nearly seem to race to give the best performance and you as judge will be as perplexed as I as to who in fact might have won.
August 19, 2017
Foxcatcher is based on a true story about the multi-billionaire family DuPont family that invests in the Olympic wrestling team. The cast was made up of Oscar nominated actors Steve Carnell and Mark Ruffalo along with Channing Tatum. I am not sure if the director meant to make the movie creepy but it sure felt that way. The storyline was slow and very nostalgic with great performances. Overall it was a good movie to watch once.
½ August 15, 2017
Foxcatcher is described as an "electrifying thriller", but let's not get ahead of ourselves. Based on the true events of John du Pont forming a wrestling team with the Schultz brothers for the 1988 Olympic Games. It's a story of both power and control, as the struggle for constant authority creates tension and paranoia within the team. This eventuality leads to an unforeseen tragic event. Foxcatcher is what I would class as an interesting character study, on both Mark Schultz and John du Pont. The constant desire for victory and the goals for patriotism. Du Pont having unlimited money, can do pretty much whatever he wishes. That in itself is control, but yet seemingly he consistently loses that authoritative presence to Dave Schultz. Was really interesting to watch. Transformative performances for both Channing Tatum and Steve Carell really aided is portraying their characters realistically. Both of them were outstanding and deserved every recognition they got. Their physical prowess was extraordinary. Mark Ruffalo was consistent yet again, however Vanessa Redgrave was criminally underused. The wrestling scenes that they actually contributed in were well filmed and exciting to watch. It's not a sport I'm familiar with, but I've taken down some notes...y'know, in case I need to decimate a thug or something. Bennett Miller's direction was very precise, he took his time with the plot and the long static camera shots evidently showed that. This leads me to the massive negative of the film: pacing. This was slow. Far too slow. 134 minutes of character development that leads to a 1 minute event at the end. Although, that final event was executed to perfection and full of tension. However, I can see why people dislike the pace. Intriguingly, the execution of the dialogue was at a snail's pace as well! Waiting for Carell to say a sentence takes about 2 minutes. Sure it's captivating if you truly focus, but for those who actually don't have any interest in this will surely fall asleep. An "electrifying thriller" it is not, but a very well executed character study it is.