Foxcatcher - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Foxcatcher Reviews

½ December 5, 2017
It is a throw up between this and Blade Runner 2049, for the worst movie of all time.
½ November 12, 2017
Carrell complete transforms in this role but for the majority of the film there isn't much tension. It's not to the end of the film where anything really happens and then it's a bit out of left field.
½ November 9, 2017
Successfully creates and sustains a suicidal atmosphere, and a strong cast hold together a threadbare script. Particular praise due to Sienna Miller who once again sublimates her celebrity to become an unrecognisable part of the ensemble.
½ November 3, 2017
Very intense. Great performances by everyone involved especially Steve Carell. Uncomfortable to watch at times.
October 26, 2017
Amazing acting performances. Very slow but the acting and storyline is so good that it doesn't get boring. Loved it.
½ October 10, 2017
A great movie with excellent performances especially from Steve Carell, great writing, and good cinematography.
October 9, 2017
Well crafted and chilling crime drama, with powerhouse, understated and knockout performances from Steve Carell and Channing Tatum.
September 26, 2017
Hard to watch. Depressing and sad. I did not like the movie too much but it looks like critics praised it.
September 11, 2017
Wrestling, but real life wrestling
August 28, 2017
A story that's tragic at the outset, told by professionals at their craft literally reaching for new heights, makes for exhilarating filmmaking of the highest quality beyond a shadow of a doubt. As some might note, the pace seems slow, but in retrospect the simmer brings forth fully formed human drama. Carell, Tatum and Ruffalo very nearly seem to race to give the best performance and you as judge will be as perplexed as I as to who in fact might have won.
August 19, 2017
Foxcatcher is based on a true story about the multi-billionaire family DuPont family that invests in the Olympic wrestling team. The cast was made up of Oscar nominated actors Steve Carnell and Mark Ruffalo along with Channing Tatum. I am not sure if the director meant to make the movie creepy but it sure felt that way. The storyline was slow and very nostalgic with great performances. Overall it was a good movie to watch once.
½ August 15, 2017
Foxcatcher is described as an "electrifying thriller", but let's not get ahead of ourselves. Based on the true events of John du Pont forming a wrestling team with the Schultz brothers for the 1988 Olympic Games. It's a story of both power and control, as the struggle for constant authority creates tension and paranoia within the team. This eventuality leads to an unforeseen tragic event. Foxcatcher is what I would class as an interesting character study, on both Mark Schultz and John du Pont. The constant desire for victory and the goals for patriotism. Du Pont having unlimited money, can do pretty much whatever he wishes. That in itself is control, but yet seemingly he consistently loses that authoritative presence to Dave Schultz. Was really interesting to watch. Transformative performances for both Channing Tatum and Steve Carell really aided is portraying their characters realistically. Both of them were outstanding and deserved every recognition they got. Their physical prowess was extraordinary. Mark Ruffalo was consistent yet again, however Vanessa Redgrave was criminally underused. The wrestling scenes that they actually contributed in were well filmed and exciting to watch. It's not a sport I'm familiar with, but I've taken down some notes...y'know, in case I need to decimate a thug or something. Bennett Miller's direction was very precise, he took his time with the plot and the long static camera shots evidently showed that. This leads me to the massive negative of the film: pacing. This was slow. Far too slow. 134 minutes of character development that leads to a 1 minute event at the end. Although, that final event was executed to perfection and full of tension. However, I can see why people dislike the pace. Intriguingly, the execution of the dialogue was at a snail's pace as well! Waiting for Carell to say a sentence takes about 2 minutes. Sure it's captivating if you truly focus, but for those who actually don't have any interest in this will surely fall asleep. An "electrifying thriller" it is not, but a very well executed character study it is.
August 13, 2017
Phenomenal movie. Thanks to its somber direction, compelling performances from Ruffalo and Tatum and a horrifically fresh and menacing change-of-pace performance from Carrell, this true story drama is a captivating and powerful accomplishment in the biopic genre.
July 30, 2017
On performance alone, between the three piece of Carrell, Tatum & Ruffalo - this film is wonderful to watch.
I am a big fan of Steve Carrell - his comedy work is hilarious - but this is different, this truly is what one critic noted as saying "career changing". Channing Tatum even said Foxcatcher was "the hardest acting challenge I've had to date." Well, I ­???­???­??? you - brilliant performance.

Loosely based on true events of "Team Foxcatcher" and John Du Pont and his style of wrestling coaching, the portrayal of "wrestling" is beautifully choreographed and executed & syncs with deeper psychological currents.

I must say it's my first time watching Academy Award nominee Bennett Miller  (Moneyball, Capote) and the way he unfolds the story ever so slightly was a great approach. Letting the story expand in it's own time and not losing it itself.

Would definently recommend this film to anyone who, like me, loves a "true story" movie. It's a shame it didn't hold it's own with the box office as it's budget of ­??▓26 million ­??Á could only reach ­??▓13.6 million ­??Á but it's own story, I believe truly, didn't have a big enough "pull" for the audience. Big players on the frontline but no reaction from the audience. It's a big story gone fairly unnoticed. Check it out.
June 21, 2017
Though it is a good enough movie, it is by far one of the most overrated movies of the current decade. It is a semi boring film which is probably why I don't remember that much of it. I only recommend seeing it for first time viewing
You won't be missing out on much if you don't ever rewatch it
June 21, 2017
Una de esas pelÝculas duras de ver, con escenas que se alargan hasta lograr sensaciones extra˝as. Muy buenas actuaciones.
June 10, 2017
Slow story development and wish they had went into more character depth. Overall good movie but a little boring.
June 9, 2017
This movie is worth seeing for the performances. Well directed and incredibly well acted.. Especially Steve Carell who we just see in comedies gave an extraordinary performance !
½ June 2, 2017
This was one of my most anticipated films of 2014, and I'm just now getting around to watching it. I was mesmerized by the trailers, and that was the main hook that caught me into wanting to watch this film. I wish I had seen this sooner because this film is breathtaking from beginning to end. The trio of Channing Tatum, Mark Ruffalo, and Steve Carell all give Oscar-worthy performances, and it's a shame none of them got the recognition they deserved. This is not a film for everyone; though, and I can see many tuning out while watching this film because it is very long and dry. This is a tonal film with great character study and performances. I adored Bennett Miller's "Moneyball", and many called it one of the more boring sports films. Steve Carell completely transforms into the role of John du Pont, but the performances of Channing Tatum and Mark Ruffalo shouldn't go unnoticed either. I thought the direction and cinematography were gorgeous, along with a solid screenplay. Foxcatcher is one of the best films of the stacked 2014 year.
½ May 16, 2017
A movie based on a true story needs to be interesting, otherwise why would we care?? "Foxcatcher" is one of those movies that could just as easily not been told. The pace is exceedingly slow, so much so that it took me two nights to watch it. For 120 of the 130 minute run time I fought off sleep a number of times. If not for the phenomenal performances by Steve Carell and Channing Tatum, nobody would even be giving this film a second look.