Fracture - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fracture Reviews

½ March 18, 2017
From Great to Good.
Take two the of the better actors, combine with a good director who has an inkling of how to build suspense, and some good one-liners. You get the makings of of a great movie, but that promise is not fulfilled. For myself I haven't seen much of Gosling, he reminds me of a classier Matthew McConaughy, but he's competent. Hopkins is the master of the psycho, mind-f..cking character which he has perfected and he roles out that persona here. The movie keeps you watching because you DO want to find out how Hopkins managed to hide one piece of evidence and the solution is very clever (and logical) -- but somehow the movie loses power and focus as it moves to the denouement.
February 19, 2017
I was very entertained by the movie. Thought the acting was superb. My only beef was the fact that they never made mention of the security cameras throughout the house. Were they off? How did the law officers miss that? More importantly how did the writers/directors miss that? Or... Maybe I missed it being brought up.
½ February 12, 2017
Fracture stars Anthony Hopkins and Ryan Gosling and is about a court case where Hopkins killes his wife and Gosling is the prosecuting lawyer. First off the acting here is stupendous, the two leads make for a great duo and their chemistry is palpable. There is a real sense of tension and fear for Goslings character, and the trials he faces feel like life and death. Hopkins is cunning and manipulating, it feels like he is in control for much of this film. The plot is actually quite unlikely, but it there were some scenarios where it felt plausible at times. I liked the ending, but it felt to me like there could've been more information given to the audience. All in all, despite major liberties taken with the plot, Fracture is a solid time viewing with two mesmerizing performances that puts an audience in the moment, and definitely makes up for the unlikeliness of the situation.
½ February 7, 2017
This is a solid crime thriller.
January 15, 2017
You can't beat a good courtroom drama. Hopkins is one devious and calculating cunt. A fresh faced Gosling is tasked with taking him down. A serious twitch off Pike.
January 8, 2017
it's got intrigue, suspense, "Oh the places you will go " by Dr. Suess
½ December 12, 2016
beastly movie with an awesome story and great acting.

SPOILERS

one of the best and most perfect twists in a movie. and the movie concluded perfectly. best line in the movie is at the end when he realizes he's screwed and finally breaks for the first time... get the fuck out of my house (3 viewings)
½ November 30, 2016
An intriguing thriller that holds our attention as it relies on the combined talents of Hopkins and Gosling, who are both amazing in their roles, and it is great to see them dueling in this smart mind confrontation, an above-average cat-and-mouse crime film.
November 25, 2016
kept me entertained. gosling is a bit annoying though
October 19, 2016
You can't take your eyes off this movie.
½ August 22, 2016
This is a thoroughly engaging film, even though you have to suspend your disbelief at times. But amazing performances from Hopkins and Gosling make up for that flaw.
August 14, 2016
SPECTACULAR MOVIE!!
AN EXCELLENT PERFORMANCE BY ANTHONY HPKINS AND RYAN GOSLIN!!
½ August 9, 2016
160808: Though the premise behind this firearms based investigation is flawed, the story kept me up late anticipating the outcome. As always, Hopkins was great but the surprise was Gosling. His character, Prosecutor Willy Beachum, and acting grew on me as the film progressed. Very good entertainment for something I found on television. Quite pleased.
July 3, 2016
Fracture is the story of two brilliant minds going head to head in a compelling battle for justice. When Hopkins shoots his wife in cold blood and confesses all to the police, all Gosling needs to do is attend the trial and put him away for good, before advancing to his more prestigious role in a new law firm - easy right? Well things prove to be a little more tricky when there is no evidence to convict anyone of attempted murder. With time against him before starting his new job, and with an ego to be saved, Gosling must wrack his brains to outwit this experienced and cunning opponent, before he loses it all - job, pride and new beau. Despite the fact the innocent and guilty parties are both known from the outset, and we know justice should prevail, one can't help but enjoy the manner at which the arrogance and cockiness of Goslings character is notably brought back down to earth with a bang. You find yourself rooting for both sides to some extent and the unforeseeable nature to which this pans out makes it essential viewing. Hopkins is a master at conveying the psychotic yet intellectually gifted persona ever since his Hannibal Lecter days and that is displayed here once again, providing the perfect contrast to Goslings youthful, eager, but naive character traits. Occasionally you come across a film that totally surpasses your expectations, more so because you've never even heard of it before, so this was a wonderful surprise in the offering and a definite recommendation for all those that enjoy a good crime drama.
June 27, 2016
Anthony Hopkins likes to wink.  He winks a lot in his films.  Ever notice?  This one is no exception.  Ryan Gosling plays Willy Beachum a DA on his way to bigger and better things when he receives Ted Crawford's (Hopkins) attempted murder case.  Thinking it's going to be an open and shut he takes it.  The problem is the murder weapon has never been fired and there's no evidence to suggest Crawford committed the crime.  Even more complications arise when the judge is made aware of the arresting officer's connection to the case.  He was sleeping with the victim.  In this flick Crawford's goal it to mind fuck and Hopkins does it better than anyone winking throughout.  Gosling isn't bad to look at or listen to as he drawls away during the movie.  The middle is a little slow but the end makes up for it.  All in all I'd say see it.  It's a good one.
½ April 24, 2016
Very well made and entertaing. The constant "twists" eventually become somewhat predictable, but it is well made so ultimately I didn't mind.
April 22, 2016
What does the title Fracture refer to? State of its script? If not for the A-list names it is a perfect B-movie with a contrived plot and corny dialogues which one would see in any cheap paperback novel. Especially Anthony Hopkins performance and his dialogues were quite inconsistent.

Ted Crawford (Anthony Hopkins) is an entrepreneur of an aeronautics company married to beautiful Jennifer (Embeth Davidtz) who is having an affair with a Lieutenant of the police department Rob Nunnaly (Billy Burke) who doesn't know anything about the secretive Jennifer. When Ted finds out about this, he hatches a plan and kills his wife, confesses to the negotiator at the time Nunally. Willy Beachum (Ryan Gosling) is a successful deputy in the state prosecutor's office is in process moving into a prestigious private legal firm gives into an obligation to take up this one last case which is anything but solved. With Willy hardly concentrating on the case Ted puts on a game that turns the trial upside down putting Beachum's career in jeopardy.

Though the performances were inconsistent individually, the dual of the lead characters ups the game occasionally. Marketed as a courtroom thriller, the movie lacks enough twists and relies on one puzzle which takes too long to arrive and ends up being contrived and dumb. What helps the screenplay is the side plot about Beachum's recruitment to a private firm which helps up the stakes and induces some pace which otherwise is a slow burner with lots of mindless fillers.

Lacks enough twists, wit and ambition.
April 19, 2016
watchable...not great and not awful
½ March 29, 2016
Though the storyline isn't as brilliant as it tries to be, Fracture still is a disturbing yet engrossing puzzle we all try to solve side by side with Ryan Gosling's character. And whenever Anthony Hopkins portrays the role of an intelligent killer, the film works.
March 13, 2016
Sick movie!!! Makes me more passionate about pursuing a degree in law!