Fracture - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fracture Reviews

½ November 6, 2017
Excellent psychological thriller
October 23, 2017
Excellent interplay between Hopkins and Gosling. Shows many faults of cold, money-hungry, status-fixated organizations like Wooten Simms There are a lot of them out here.
October 2, 2017
The musical score was much richer than the plot
September 23, 2017
Amazing performances. The ultimate outcome was somewhat predictable, but the twists were fresh. This was lifted by it's superb cast for sure. Hopkins and Gosling nailed it!
½ September 16, 2017
Anthony Hopkins gives a typically excellent performance as a killer who plays the system against itself in this legal thriller.
½ September 12, 2017
Not incredibly original but has a great flow. Where the heck did the murderer (Anothony Hopkins) hide the murder weapon keeps you scratching your head. This makes for a pretty good reveal and aha moment at the end.

The main character (Ryan Gosling) has a clear goal -- to be a big shot lawyer at a big shot firm -- but we realize his actual goal may not be that. Will he choose the big shot firm or continue working a case for the low-paying DA office to put a murderer in jail?

The movie strongly depicts the desire of lawyers are and how all lawyers should behave. When faced with the decision of making more money or doing the right thing, they should choose the latter. If they did, we'd live a world with a little less evil.

Good lawyers: I love you.

(Note: Interesting casting choice here with Anthony Hopkins. His twisted and brilliant mind is almost the same as it is in "Silence of the Lambs". I don't think he had to do much prep work for this one. I wonder if the movie would have been better or worse without him as the antagonist.)
½ September 9, 2017
Gosling and Hopkins scenes are great. Unfortunately the big reveal is kind of nonsensical.
August 17, 2017
dull, slow, boring and very predictable. a bad movie.
½ August 13, 2017
A clever and intriguing premise that plays out well but gets a little sluggish in the middle. I ultimately wanted a little more out of the ending but nevertheless I would be quite happy to see this movie again.
August 1, 2017
Interesting mystery suspense with tense play of skills between Gosling and Hopkins, who once again show he can do the roles of kind hearted, wise old man and evil incarnate equally well.
July 31, 2017
An excellent courtroom mystery/thriller, with enough twists and turns to keep one interested 'till the end. Hopkins is great; unfortunately, I found Gosling was weak in the lead. I imagined a young Tom Cruise or Richard Gere would've been great in the role.
July 22, 2017
Excellent thriller, very unusual plot line, very good cast, keeps you on your toes!
½ June 28, 2017
Good thriller. A good first half hour and equally excellent closing 10 minutes. Unfortunately, the majority of the movie was filler. On the plus side, Gosling and Hopkins do a good job holding your attention during this time.
May 26, 2017
nice spooky legal movie. also, sir anthony hopkins and ryan gosling.
½ April 20, 2017
a courtroom drama for the majority of it but the performances of Hopkins and Gosling are enough to carry it
it's a lethal game of cat and mouse where Hopkins kills his wife and Gosling tries his best to sentence him but ends up being blindsided on more than one occasion
haunting music to boot, too
if the last act doesn't save the entire move the first two are worth it seeing who can see past each other more in a bloody murder-mystery such as this
½ March 18, 2017
From Great to Good.
Take two the of the better actors, combine with a good director who has an inkling of how to build suspense, and some good one-liners. You get the makings of of a great movie, but that promise is not fulfilled. For myself I haven't seen much of Gosling, he reminds me of a classier Matthew McConaughy, but he's competent. Hopkins is the master of the psycho, mind-f..cking character which he has perfected and he roles out that persona here. The movie keeps you watching because you DO want to find out how Hopkins managed to hide one piece of evidence and the solution is very clever (and logical) -- but somehow the movie loses power and focus as it moves to the denouement.
February 19, 2017
I was very entertained by the movie. Thought the acting was superb. My only beef was the fact that they never made mention of the security cameras throughout the house. Were they off? How did the law officers miss that? More importantly how did the writers/directors miss that? Or... Maybe I missed it being brought up.
½ February 12, 2017
Fracture stars Anthony Hopkins and Ryan Gosling and is about a court case where Hopkins killes his wife and Gosling is the prosecuting lawyer. First off the acting here is stupendous, the two leads make for a great duo and their chemistry is palpable. There is a real sense of tension and fear for Goslings character, and the trials he faces feel like life and death. Hopkins is cunning and manipulating, it feels like he is in control for much of this film. The plot is actually quite unlikely, but it there were some scenarios where it felt plausible at times. I liked the ending, but it felt to me like there could've been more information given to the audience. All in all, despite major liberties taken with the plot, Fracture is a solid time viewing with two mesmerizing performances that puts an audience in the moment, and definitely makes up for the unlikeliness of the situation.
½ February 7, 2017
This is a solid crime thriller.